Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Yeah, Tiny Dancer is the best one of the lot

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Yeah, Tiny Dancer is the best one of the lot Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Yeah, Tiny Dancer is the best one of the lot - 14/5/2009 3:25:02 PM   
Teamwak

Way to go Cameron. Also agree with the scene from Casablanca. And frankly, the version of Waterloo from Muriels Wedding is a favourite too lol

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Two More - 14/5/2009 10:05:21 PM   
jgafs

The Beach - Moby's 'Porcelean' - Goose bumps when the reach the 'beach'
Boogie Nights - Rick Springfield 'Jesse's Girl' - With the camera on Dirk's face during the stickup attempt - it's priceless

Post #: 32
Two More - 14/5/2009 10:06:07 PM   
jgafs

The Beach - Moby's 'Porcelean' - Goose bumps when the reach the 'beach'
Boogie Nights - Rick Springfield 'Jesse's Girl' - With the camera on Dirk's face during the stickup attempt - it's priceless

Post #: 33
David Lynch - 15/5/2009 1:10:48 AM   
jars_ki

I think the scenes with Wicked Game and Baby Please Don't Go in Wild at Heart were pretty extra ordinary..

Post #: 34
Akira Symphonic Suite - 15/5/2009 2:07:07 PM   
_dan_

One thing that i think is definately worth a mention is he music recorded by Geinoh Yamashirogumi for 'Akira' it's an amazingly atmospheric soudtrack, brilliant music for a brilliant film. Especially as the bike chase commences at the beginning of the movie and the track 'Kaneda' plays into the blurring neo tokyo night.

Post #: 35
Almost Famous - 16/5/2009 12:11:18 AM   
AmyInLA

Cameron, you are too modest. What about the moment on the bus in Almost Famous when William and Penny and the band start singing Tiny Dancer? Sublime.

Post #: 36
- 16/5/2009 2:08:20 PM   
cramo

Em, what about 'This time tomorrow' by the Kinks from The Darjeeling Limited? Splendid.

Post #: 37
Robert Altman... - 19/5/2009 8:22:54 AM   
burningviolin

...largely used Songs of Leonard Cohen as his soundtrack for "McCabe and Mrs Miller" (1971), to great effect. The songs mirrored the external and internal worlds of the characters and moved the story along.

Post #: 38
No musical moment in film compares to... - 19/5/2009 8:37:35 AM   
phenomenalcat

the opening chord of "A Hard Days Night." It was the beginning of life as we know it today.

Post #: 39
- 19/5/2009 10:22:56 AM   
rmk

Richard Thompson's "Dimming of the Day" sung by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in movie "Limbo". Mastrantonio performs song as a club singer in Alaska, scene is juxtaposed with David Straitharn working on fishing boat. Both have broken lives, looking for restoration. The song in the background as Straitharn works on the fishing boat, matches the rythm of the work-- ropes, nets, ocean, etc. It's an elucidating and meditative moment, and the one perfect thing i remember about the movie.

Post #: 40
- 19/5/2009 11:02:54 AM   
wmiller

I actually think that Mr. Crowe has at least two that belong on this list. "Tiny Dancer" is certainly one of them to which I would add "In Your Eyes" from Say Anything. My number one however would be the chilling use of "Sympathy for the Devil" in Hal Ashby's Coming Home.

Post #: 41
- 19/5/2009 1:09:51 PM   
m2miller1960

Nick Lowe's "The Beast in Me" from the opening episode of "The Sopranos", Anton Karas' zither score from "The Third Man" and all of Strauss' waltz music from "2002, A Space Odyssey".

Post #: 42
- 19/5/2009 1:10:55 PM   
m2miller1960

Doh! That is "2001, A Space Odyssey".

Post #: 43
Thrid Man? - 19/5/2009 1:59:02 PM   
butcher pete

How about the "Third Man Theme"?

Also, there's a great bit in Errol Morris' Gates of Heaven where the kid kicks out the jams out in front of his bungalow-- the pet cemetery and Old Glory waving proudly in the background. Unforgettable.

Post #: 44
Thrid Man? - 19/5/2009 1:59:18 PM   
butcher pete

How about the "Third Man Theme"?

Also, there's a great bit in Errol Morris' Gates of Heaven where the kid kicks out the jams out in front of his bungalow-- the pet cemetery and Old Glory waving proudly in the background. Unforgettable.

Post #: 45
Yo Cameron, MAKE A MOVIE! - 19/5/2009 3:26:23 PM   
walcraeb

You used to be pretty good at these kinds of moments too... then Cruise conned you into Vanilla Sky and the whole thing went to hell.

"In Your Eyes" anyone?
"Tiny Dancer?"
"My Cherie Amour"

Post #: 46
Tiny Dancer???? - 19/5/2009 3:42:52 PM   
Wickster

This is such a sweet moment in Almost Famous, and one that has brought me back to the film many times. If it hadn't been for the Tiny Dancer scene, I might not have really discovered the delights of this film. In all of the downside of "groupiedom", this is a moment of beautiful innocence.

Post #: 47
Two Wounded Birds - 19/5/2009 4:33:35 PM   
aurabass

True Romance - freakin perfect

Post #: 48
Jerry Maguire - 19/5/2009 4:55:49 PM   
juha3000

More a movie music moment - when Tom Cruise is trying to find a song on the radio that matches his exhilarated mood.
Also, Tommy Boy - Chris Farley and David Spade in the car, dialing stations, looking for a station/song they can agree to and acting all macho, then cut to them belting out Superstar by the Carpenters.

Post #: 49
Cameron, your taste is exquisite. - 19/5/2009 5:29:29 PM   
boomboxserenade

Thank you, I absolutely LOVED this list, and have posted a link to Boombox Serenade, a blog about just such moments. (Here are my top ten of 2008: http://tinyurl.com/chl8t5 You might recognize the statuette. ;)

Post #: 50
other possibilities - 19/5/2009 7:38:31 PM   
elfdorado

BLUE VELVET: Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" and Bobby Vinton's "Blue Velvet"; McCABE AND MRS. MILLER: Leonard Cohen's "The Stranger Song" (and other Cohen songs on the soundtrack); 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY: "Daisy" as sung by HAL 9000; LOCK, STOCK, & TWO SMOKING BARRELS: The Stone Roses' "Fools Gold"; PERFORMANCE: Mick Jagger's "Memo from Turner" and Randy Newman's "Gone Dead Train" (and the whole soundtrack); BLOW-UP: The Yardbirds as they perform "Stroll On"; AFTER HOURS (Scorsese): Peggy Lee's "Is That All There Is?"; SAY ANYTHING: Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"; TESTAMENT (w/ Jane Alexander): The Beatles' "All My Lovin'"; HAPPY TOGETHER (Wong Kar-Wai): the Spanish-language song that weaves through the film (Wong in general really knows how to use music); SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER: The Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive," the first song in the film; MULHOLLAND DRIVE: the mind-blowing scene in which the singer belts out the Spanish version of "Crying" (written by Don McLean), or seems to; DR. STRANGELOVE: "We'll Meet Again"; APOCALYPSE NOW (unfortunately): Wagner's "The Ride of the Valkyries"....

Post #: 51
- 19/5/2009 8:58:34 PM   
Ghouse12

The Swedish fllm TOGETHER: Bookends perfectly with Abba's "SOS", LAYER CAKE: Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter", REALITY BITES: U2 "All I Want Is You", HIGH FIDELITY: Jack Black singing "Lets Get It On", REMEMBER THE TITANS: Cat Stevens "Peace Train", Credence Clearwater "Up Around The Bend"

Post #: 52
Small Movie, Small Song, Huge Impact - 19/5/2009 10:37:01 PM   
Colorado Movie Lover

Melissa Etheridge's song "I Will Never Be The Same" fit perfectly with "Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael". The song essentially summarized the two main characters' relationship with the title character (who never appears in the film).

Post #: 53
Still brings tears... - 19/5/2009 10:42:17 PM   
skiddie76

Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" from Platoon. Humanity's best set against humanity's worst.

Post #: 54
- 19/5/2009 10:56:39 PM   
Pumpsie

I like elfdorado's list MUCH more than Cameron's. Cameron's list is mostly a director's type of list. It's not a fan's list. it's pretty darn weak, as a matter of fact, and disappointing coming from a guy who usually does a good job with music in his films. I'd like to second Roy Orbison's "In Dreams" from BLUE VELVET. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY for "Daisy," AND for the use of Johann Strauss' "Blue Danube Waltz" for the docking of the space craft, and the opening from Richard Strauss' "Thus Spake Zarathustra." Mick Jagger's "Memo from Turner" from PERFORMANCE. The Yardbirds performing during BLOW-UP. Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" from SAY ANYTHING, and the Spanish version of Roy' Orbison's "Crying" used in MULHOLLAND DRIVE. And, "Till We Meet Again" from DR. STRANGELOVE. In fact, you could just have created a MUCH better list solely using musical choices from David Lynch's and Stanley Kubrick's films. Also, ....Dean Martin's version of "Sway" from 2046 and the song Anna Karina sings along with in Godard's MY LIFE TO LIVE. Finally, I also like the "Tiny Dancer" scene from ALMOST FAMOUS.

Post #: 55
Still brings tears... - 19/5/2009 11:47:38 PM   
skiddie76

Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" from Platoon. Humanity's best set against humanity's worst.

Post #: 56
Oh, Brother! - 20/5/2009 1:07:09 AM   
NZFilmProf

CC, thanks for an outstanding list. But...but..but... 'nothing' from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" Also mentionable are several Tangerine Dream cuts from Risky Business, various early metal from Heavy Metal, and a suite of Lynch/Badalamenti cuts from Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet. Oh, yes, a plug for the Plugz's Reel Ten (Repo Man).

Post #: 57
Amen to music from Jackie Brown - 20/5/2009 2:25:59 PM   
openroad

This is a great, thoughtful list, though I wouldn't expect less from Cameron Crowe. And I agree with others that Crowe's own use of "Tiny Dancer" in "Almost Famous" should make the list too.
I was particularly glad music used by Quentin Tarantino in his greatly underappreciated "Jackie Brown" made the list, though I would have mentioned a different cut: Bobby Womack's "Across 110th Street." It is used in the film's opening, when we see Pam Grier's Jackie, an underpaid flight attendent for a small airline, making her way through LAX after arriving from Mexico. She is tall and stunning in a regal way, but sems exhausted, as though she had to surmount too many challenges in her lifetime. Bobby Womack's matter-of-fact singing about survival in a drug-dealing ghetto provide an instant understanding of Jackie.

Post #: 58
Songs that should have been on the list!!! - 25/5/2009 4:29:03 PM   
donalmurphy1987

Good list but you hav left out three of my favourites:
1. You're so cool - True romance (Hans Zimmer) Happiest peace of music ever written. Anyone who has seen this film will remember this song forever!
2. Ecstasy of gold - the good the bad and the ugly (Ennio Morricone) Incredible song and great moment in the film. Very memorable
3. The End - Apocalypse Now (The Doors) Amazing start to a film and i will never forget it

Post #: 59
- 26/5/2009 1:12:50 AM   
donalmurphy1987

just remembered another. Dueling Banjos from deliverance has to be on this list

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Yeah, Tiny Dancer is the best one of the lot Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI