Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 3:26:48 PM   
barkers101

With the help of Gram123 (O please god help me sir!) i want to set up another thread dedicated to this so we can see the forums top 100 favourite World Cinema films and dvds. The previous listing, from way back in 2006 i believe helped me so much in choosing films to buy and some of the films in their are true cinematic gems.

I don't know how you did it last time but i am asking for your help and support to create this thread again for 2009. I strive to see more World Cinema films all the time and it can be hard to find the truly great ones, i would love to see how the list has changed since 2006. So i am asking for your help... now who is with me!?

So far we have:

56 So Far!

< Message edited by barkers101 -- 23/6/2009 5:28:59 PM >

"Man is born crying, When he has cried enough, he dies"

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

I will join as long as we can spell Mozoguchi's name right

Vote for you Favourite World Cinema DVD here!
Post #: 1
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 4:06:37 PM   
richCie

Lee Chang Dong boxset from South Korea. fairly expensive £30 for only 3 films and some extras that are unsubtitled but its well worth it:

actually it's here used for £20 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lee-Chang-Dong-Collection-Korean-DVD-Eng-subs_W0QQitemZ140314512400QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL?hash=item140314512400&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

but i got mine here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEE-CHANG-DONG-COLLECTION-4Disc-DVD-BOX-SET-NEW-dts_W0QQitemZ160307165410QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item160307165410&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

buy it!

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 2
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 4:12:18 PM   
Lex Romero

I still haven't watched my Lee Chang-Dong set yet due to ridiculous amounts of third year work. :*(

So are we just classing "World Cinema" as anything not from UK/America?  I really never liked the term "world cinema", it's so horribly western-centric.

My Film list for 2009:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=39

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 3
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 4:28:59 PM   
barkers101

Its what the forum is called - here is the list from 2006

quote:

Amores Perros R1                           Oldboy R2                                 City Of God R2                              La Haine UE R2                           Swallowtail Butterfly  R2

My Sassy Girl R3                       My Neighbour Totoro R2                  Wings Of Desire R2                  The Spirit of the Beehive R2               La Strada R1 Criterion

Friend R3              Jean De Florette / Manon Des Sources R2          Ran R1 Criterion                       Solaris R1 Criterion                    City Of Lost Children R1

The Story Of Sin R1                      Life Is Beautiful R2                         Delicatessen R2                 Rocco And His Four Brothers R2             Los Olvidados R0

Run Lola Run R2            The Rules of the Game R1 Criterion  Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring R1        Irreversible R2                             Amelie R2

Hana-Bi R2                             I'm Not Scared R2                           Woyzeck R2                           Battle Royale SE R2                 Seven Samurai R1 Crtierion

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie R1 Criterion     Das Experiment R2              Princess Monononke R2                 Ugetsu R1 Criterion                      Cinema Paradiso R2

In The Mood For Love R0            Brotherhood Of The Wolf  R1                   Lilya 4-Ever R2                                Akira SE R1                        The Hidden Fortress R2

Ashes Of Time R0                              Ritual R2                                  Ikiru R1 Criterion                     Wages Of Fear R1 Criterion                  Onibaba R1

Gojira R2                              The Life Of O-Haru R2                       Metropolis R2                                   Kanal R1                                    Kikujiro R0

The Motorcycle Diaries R1                    Brotherhood R2                    All About Lily Chou-Chou R2                   The Killer R2                         Rome, Open City R2

Nights Of Cabiria R1 Criterion              Memories Of Murder R2                      Das Boot R2                             Santa Sangre R2                         Wild Strawberries R2

Three Colours Trilogy R2                 A Man Escaped R1                        Police Story R2                 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon R2          Casshern SE R2

Dancer In The Dark R2                   Project A Collection R2                  Tetsuo : The Iron Man R2     Sympathy For Mr Vengeance SE R2    Le Notti Bianche R1 Criterion

Port of Shadows R1 Criterion                Zatoichi CE R2                      Y Tu Mama También  R2                 Spirited Away LE R4               Man Bites Dog R1 Criterion

Aragami R1                             L'Appartement R2                   The Cranes are Flying R5                    The Return R2                        A Tale of Two Sisters R2

À Bout de Souffle R2                      La Reine Margot R2                      The Warrior R2                              Afterlife R2                          Infernal Affairs Trilogy R2

Musa (The Warrior) R3                  The Big Spook War R2                  Hard Boiled SE R2                 Last Life in the Universe R2             The Twilight Samurai R2

The Bird People in China R1          The Vanishing R1 Criterion           The Kingdom Series 1&2 R2             Come And See R2                      Harakiri R1 Criterion

Eyes Without A Face R1 Criterion             El Mariachi R2                        Beijing Bicycle R3                           So Close R3                            Central Station R1

quote:

(in reply to Lex Romero)
Post #: 4
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 4:44:43 PM   
foz

Aye, I'll have a go.  Although I can't remember how it worked last time so someone'll have to remind me how many films I can nominate 

Off the top of my head, I still have pretty much the same top 10 as in 2006, although my top 30 is probably quite a bit different.

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 5
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 4:51:04 PM   
barkers101

Lets wait till someone comes on who can remember shall we 

quote:

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 6
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 7:38:47 PM   
Lex Romero

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkers101

Its what the forum is called

I know, I'm not criticising the name of the thread. 

I'm just talking in general, and wondering what we're counting as "world cinema" for this particular thread, as when that term is thrown around some people don't consider "European cinema" part of "world cinema". 

So it was more just a question on what we're going to allow to include in our suggestions, are european films allowed, coupled with my throw away comment that the term world cinema is so annoyingly vague and a bit silly, that lead to me needing to ask in the first place.

My Film list for 2009:

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 7
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 9:01:00 PM   
Gram123

quote:

Lets wait till someone comes on who can remember shall we 

Basically, what happened last time was I asked everyone to suggest one great DVD each. They weren't voted into any sort of order, it was just a case of trying to list 100 seperate DVDs.
The fact that they were DVDs was important - the aim was to get a list of great films, but great films can suffer from a crap DVD release, so I asked forum members to note the best version wherever possible (incl. region / edition).
I allowed boxsets, as long as the contents were sequels or otherwise strongly related films.

However, it dragged on for a while, so everyone ended up getting 2 or 3 nominations each. In hindsight, I should have rallied for more input from the people who frequent other forums but don't often pop into World Cinema.

barkers - there's no need to keep it exactly as it was last time, it's your thread, so feel free to make your own rules! I'll certainly nominate something or other.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Romero

quote:

Its what the forum is called

I know, I'm not criticising the name of the thread. 

I'm just talking in general, and wondering what we're counting as "world cinema" for this particular thread, as when that term is thrown around some people don't consider "European cinema" part of "world cinema". 

So it was more just a question on what we're going to allow to include in our suggestions, are european films allowed, coupled with my throw away comment that the term world cinema is so annoyingly vague and a bit silly, that lead to me needing to ask in the first place.

I took (and generally do take) World Cinema to mean films in a language other than English.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 8
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 9:05:52 PM   
barkers101

What if we try it the same way again?

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 9
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 10:37:44 PM   
barkers101

Ok i will start, boxsets are aloud of Directors, Actors or sequels. Lets try and choose films not in the above list, to try and make it more diverse.

quote:

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 10
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 10:55:05 PM   
adambatman82

i shall nominate two, simply because i cant decide and wanted to help you get the thread off to a great start.

my favourite dvd of recent times-

my favourite film of all time-

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 11
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 11:22:19 PM   
Olaf

Didn't see it in the above list, so:

and:

< Message edited by Olaf -- 4/5/2009 11:25:22 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 12
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 11:44:28 PM   
PB~!

The Lives of Others

no guilt in life, no fear in death

Check out my Hitchcockian Adventure in Lists and Top 10's
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2209701

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 4/5/2009 11:51:21 PM   
barkers101

Cool lets keep it going

quote:

(in reply to PB~!)
Post #: 14
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 5/5/2009 12:10:20 AM   
TRM

Region 1 Criterion. No real difference to the region 2 Artificial eye release, but it does look cooler.

Region 2. As well as the 3 films, it features 8 early short films by Polanski. It can normally be found pretty cheap as well!

< Message edited by TRM -- 5/5/2009 12:11:05 AM >

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 15
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 5/5/2009 10:06:33 PM   
foz

Just one?  Bloody hell.

Actually, it's a much easier decision than I thought it was, as my favourite film of any country is this one:

The second part of Kitano's "I'm not dead!" sort-of trilogy (sandwiched between the also almost-perfect Kids Return and Kikujiro no Natsu - the latter of which almost pipped this one to the post), and it's an absolute work of art.  Looking at life and how one person can affect everyone around him for good or bad, it's a film oft-mentioned for its *almost exclusively off-camera* violence and rarely praised for being a very odd feelgood film, even if it was pretty much made just to make Kitano himself feel a bit better.  The viewer is taken on an amazing journey through the life of someone just trying to make everything right, and the final scene (featuring Kitano's own daughter) will have you crying your eyes out.  A wonderful, wonderful film.
Best version?  For me, still probably the Momentum UKR2 edition that comes with a nice long look at his other work to date - if this DVD contained the fantastic Scenes From the Sea doc that came with Brother, this disc would be 100% perfect

EDIT: And I don't give a stuff that it's in the 2006 list - it's just too good a film

< Message edited by foz -- 5/5/2009 10:10:51 PM >

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 16
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 5/5/2009 10:15:45 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

Just one?  Bloody hell.

Actually, it's a much easier decision than I thought it was, as my favourite film of any country is this one:

The second part of Kitano's "I'm not dead!" sort-of trilogy (sandwiched between the also almost-perfect Kids Return and Kikujiro no Natsu - the latter of which almost pipped this one to the post), and it's an absolute work of art.  Looking at life and how one person can affect everyone around him for good or bad, it's a film oft-mentioned for its *almost exclusively off-camera* violence and rarely praised for being a very odd feelgood film, even if it was pretty much made just to make Kitano himself feel a bit better.  The viewer is taken on an amazing journey through the life of someone just trying to make everything right, and the final scene (featuring Kitano's own daughter) will have you crying your eyes out.  A wonderful, wonderful film.
Best version?  For me, still probably the Momentum UKR2 edition that comes with a nice long look at his other work to date - if this DVD contained the fantastic Scenes From the Sea doc that came with Brother, this disc would be 100% perfect

EDIT: And I don't give a stuff that it's in the 2006 list - it's just too good a film

oooh! looks like the list is already serving it's function as this has definately intrigued me and is easily available for a fiver.

sorted :)

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 17
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 5/5/2009 10:29:01 PM   
barkers101

Bought that last week still waiting to be watched - but you seem to know your stuff so im gonna watch it tonight 

quote:

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 18
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 5/5/2009 11:22:32 PM   
SEENOEVIL

Brechdan gaws, os gwelwch yn dda.

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 19
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 12:30:40 AM   
Gram123

I agree Hana-bi is a great film.
Seeing as barkers said director boxsets are allowed, my own (first) nomination was going to be for this:

I'd love to see another boxset, though I suspect Second Sight don't own the rights to release Hana-bi, Kikujiro, Dolls, Blood and Bones
etc

Speaking of whom, I see they're releasing the films from this boxset individually next week:

(in reply to SEENOEVIL)
Post #: 20
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 9:35:57 AM   
richCie

since Hana-Bi isnt in that set i'll see what i think of that, but it is a rather nice looking boxset is it R2?

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 21
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 11:15:47 AM   
Lex Romero

R2, can't find it for less than £35, bah.  

My Film list for 2009:

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 22
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 11:43:22 AM   
barkers101

You can buy all the gangster ones for like a couple of quid on amazon marketplace - they aren't anything special but i like them.

Here is my next DVD:

So much hilarious fun and o so cheap - pick it up now!

Here is a funny review i found on Amazon for it

0 of 78 people found the following review helpful: the movie, 21 Mar 2006 By "hamijeremi" - See all my reviews the movie was boring coz it wasnt in english so i guess i never got 2 enjoy it tht much. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews   Was this review helpful to you?     
Report this Report this | Permalink  Comments (3)

< Message edited by barkers101 -- 6/5/2009 1:41:27 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Lex Romero)
Post #: 23
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 12:09:02 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123
I'd love to see another boxset, though I suspect Second Sight don't own the rights to release Hana-bi, Kikujiro, Dolls, Blood and Bones
etc

Silly me, of course they won't have the rights. Momentum Pictures have Hana Bi and Gohatto.
Artificial Eye have Dolls and Zatoichi.
Tartan Palisades have Blood and Bones and Battle Royale.
Pathe have Kikujiro.
Brother is on the Film Four label.

Assuming all the Tokyo Bullets / Mia Video rights lapsed or were sold to Second Sight, the only other one they could have got was Gonin.

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

since Hana-Bi isnt in that set i'll see what i think of that, but it is a rather nice looking boxset is it R2?

Yep, but as Lex says, it's about £35. Not bad for 6 films, though.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 24
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 12:25:06 PM   
barkers101

Was about to say i am pretty sure momentum and artificial eye own different films

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 25
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 5:10:11 PM   
UTB

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 26
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 5:41:27 PM   
foz

For 35 quid it's a steal - five absolutely stunning films, plus Getting Any. 

The only downsides to the set are:

The documentary is rather poor compared to the ones on Hana-Bi and especially Brother.

The commentaries are only on two films, and they're both rather poor - the commentator clearly dislikes Sonatine (bandying the word 'pretentious' about with no qualification at the drop of a hat), and complains across both films that Zatoichi (not in this set) wasn't as good as the original series and Takashi Miike should have done it.  He is an expert on gangster films, and as Kitano spends a fair amount of time (especially in his early films) subverting the myths surrounding the Yakuza, maybe they shohuld have got someone a bit more enthusiastic and actually fond of Kitano's work to do the commentaries across all 6 films on offer.  Like me

Couple of vague subtitling issues as well - the new Boiling Point subs are a bit more straight-laced than the Tokyo Bullet ones so a slight edge is taken off the fun of the film.  Then again, owners of the TB Violent Cop DVD will be happy to learn that the SS version actually has subtitles for all of the words!  Flipside to that is that so does A Scene at the Sea (the R1 skipped a load of the background conversation), and given the amount of largely improvised drivel spouted by the non-professional surfing cast, it was better left untranslated

But yeah, this boxset represents a great library of Kitano's early work (and insight into his state of mind, given that he had his 'accident' shortly after completing Sonatine and Getting Any) and shouldn't be missed by anyone interested in exciting and moving filmmaking from someone who can't be arsed with the rules.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 27
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 5:45:47 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Speaking of whom, I see they're releasing the films from this boxset individually next week:

Strange choice of images for the boxes there - Sonatine & Getting Any in particular not really selling the films (although we should be thankful for the fact that they didn't go with the Manpole option), and Boiling Point has far better imagery than the one chosen - the crown of orange leaves, for example.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 28
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 8:03:04 PM   
barkers101

Why has this turned into a Kitano thread lol?

quote:

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 29
RE: The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 - 6/5/2009 8:18:52 PM   
foz

Because the man's a legend - if only for Takeshi's Castle 

BTW - Just noticed that they've put the Kanji for his name sideways on the box instead of top to bottom.  Looks weird.

(in reply to barkers101)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> The Forums Top World Cinema DVDs 2009 Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI