Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Eurovision Song Contest 2009

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Eurovision Song Contest 2009 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 2/5/2009 9:48:09 AM   
elab49

That is contest proper, not the tacky reality show that preceded it. 12-16th May, with 2 semis and the final on Saturday the 16th. That's only a fortnight away!

So, taking into account that Norway is going to win, any other views on the runners and riders?

The big theme this year is strings - lots of fiddles on stage. Norway's moppet can certainly play, several lovely ladies from Estonia with my personal favourite entry at the moment, and a rather dubious entry that plays them for a couple of minutes while a woman with fake boobs and dodgy voice does some Bond girl voguing behind a screen before the amazing anti-climax of bursting through it.

Voting is changing this year in an attempt to deal with some of the issues caused by last years tipping point of Austria leaving and too many of the technially non-European countries entering - Azerbaijan, etc. Although the semis are unchanged - so there is still the problem of getting through, the final will be partly decided by jury votes. Juries traditionally go for traditional Eurovision entries - that does not seem to have changed as, when used last year (they decide one of the places in the semis) they let in the woeful Swedish entry which would have been a shoe in at any time in the 70s and 80s). In the final our vote will be decided 50% by the late pub muppets who vote for rubbish and 50% by the jury who will tend towards the tedious ballad. Who knows - our bad typical reality winner song effort by a woman whose range isn't near as good as she thinks, may benefit from that. For me? It is in the bottom 5 overall).

Georgia aren't playing because Russia threw its rattle out the pram at a possible play on the name Putin. San Marino can't afford it and Slovakia are back.

All songs/videos are currently on an ESC2009 channel at Youtube if you want to have a look as well as listen. There are some decent ones in there, but overall the range isn't great this year. I couldn't even find a top 10 for semi 1 - the worst of the 2 and the one that the UK will be allowed to vote in.

Watchable? Norway have an Efronesque moppet who can actually sing, unlike Efron, play a mean fiddle - and was born in the Russias and is backed by cossack dancers! It is also infuriatingly catchy.

Estonia - the class act of the night, good song, vocal and performance.

Denmark - decent stab at American MOR.

Germany - a decent stab at redoing Minnie the Moocher

Albania - girl can sing but doesn't have much stage presence

Turkey - catchy enough and they do the sexy moves thing that will get them vote, but curious lack of energy overall

Bosnia - some kind of revolutionary vibe going on

Lots have gone with the sound Croatia used last year but none are any good. There is one I can't judge because the singer distracts me as he looks like Morgan from Chuck, and Ukraine have effectively entered the same attempt at sexy pop that they did last year, which was crap and nearly won, and Chiara is now the official Jason Myers of contest (and Greece have entered Vinnie Van Lowe again).

Any other fans/watchers (as opposed to people complaining about political voting without quite knowing what they are talking about?)

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 2/5/2009 9:43:47 PM   
Qwerty Norris

I only watched Eurovision because of Terry Wogan's cynical but hilarious commentary. Now that he's given up on that I'm highly unlikely to bother watching it.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 2/5/2009 9:55:55 PM   
Dantes Inferno

elab49, I've gotta be honest, and I think you can understand: I'd never figure you for a fan, though I am guessing you are far from the world's most dedicated watcher either.

As for Norway winning? Why wouldn't we? We rule at pretty much everything. I do remember him breaking through in the country 1-2 years ago, though, with another contest - a very un-Idol like one that didn't worry much for looks and left the stage open for actual virtuous and true musical talent. He was a worthy winner - singing, writing, playing (I think he's a virtuosic) and being very charming.

Here's a taste of him, in a non-sexual way. A much better song too, if I might add.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 3
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 2/5/2009 11:03:45 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dantes Inferno

though I am guessing you are far from the world's most dedicated watcher either.

Sorry Dantes - I've been watching for a very long time. Even pre-internet I sourced records from all over Europe for the entries I liked. Elisabeth Andreasson eg - I even faxed a Norwegian record company on that one  Duet remains one of my favourite entries of all time.

The lack of Terry is a problem. Even if they had kept to a commentator genuinely interested in the show rather than a rent-a-presenter who doesn't get it. The only option was Paddy O'Connell, the clear successor who was doing very well with the semis (even when they have from out of nowhere presented him with some dim female sidekick who thinks she's doing behind the scenes at X Factor and is frankly embarrassing).

Fingers crossed Paddy's still doing the semis at least.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Dantes Inferno)
Post #: 4
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 11/5/2009 8:56:04 AM   
elab49

Semi-Final 1 - Tuesday, BBC3, 8pm hosted, thankfully, by Paddy O'connell (and some tagged on pointless female who will no doubt witter on about fashion).

This is the semi that the UK is allowed to vote in.

Also - in amusing tagged on news today, apparently Chelsea fans have started an online campaign to stop people voting for Norway as revenge against the ref Drogba went nuts over. Wouldn't you just love to have been in the room when the first Chelsea fan thought of it? Hi guys - what about Eurovision? Norway's favourite - we can get our revenge that, um, um, um - honest, I just noticed when I accidentally hit the specials button on William Hill

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 9:30:50 AM   
JessFranco

I thought Sarah Cawood did a surprisingly decent job with the semi-finals last year. I'm not sure if she's back this time.

The favourites rarely win but i think Norway might be in with a much better chance this year. My only slight concern would be his live vocals, which can be a little strained, but otherwise it looks like it might be a lock.

I have money on Norway but the odds being so heavily stacked in their favour has meant that i could also get decent side bets on Turkey and Greece. I have a few pounds on Ukraine too, out of loyalty rather than expectation.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 9:32:39 AM   
JessFranco

quote:

Ukraine have effectively entered the same attempt at sexy pop that they did last year, which was crap and nearly won

Also, Ani Lorak was amazing.

"Shady lady, i'm going to strike like thunder!"

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 7
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 10:34:52 AM   
elab49

Granted the song was terrible and she might have improved with a better one - but I wasn't a fan of the vocal at all.

I watched the Norway live performance too, which seemed fine to me. Sadly bad ones will be songs like Cyrpus where the girl looks like the stage actually terrifies her. Unfortunately, although song and singer are good, unlike Cyprus, the girl from Albania is a bit stiff too.

Greece just annoys me. He stiffed his semi last time so we ignored him in our betting - and although he still can't really sing and the song was empty rubbish, they pulled out a fabulous performance in the final and got points (thereby proving routines are more damanging to decent songs doing well than voting blocks - as did the awful Greek winner).

Turkey - have you seen the performance? Revolving their tattooed butts at the audience seems to be it. Sertab put body and soul into her routine but they rotate like tired strippers at the end of an 8 hour shift. No heart. Still, it'll go through no doubt.

I'm trying to decide whether to bother put on money given how bad the odds are. Although you seem to have chosen the 3 favourites?

I can't wait to see how Sweden goes. Whether the beautiful soprano voice will win through - or they will find her as scary as Charlotte's terrifying physical change last year - Sweden's entry has those kind of staring eyes you get when someone has issues with their contacts. And a stunning voice, IMO.

quote:

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 8
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 11:04:22 AM   
JessFranco

quote:

Granted the song was terrible and she might have improved with a better one - but I wasn't a fan of the vocal at all.

I loved the song. Ani gets through her live performances more on enthusiasm than technique but i thought she did well. She's no Tina Karol or Ruslana, granted, but i'd have wanted her to win if i didn't have money on Dima.

I'm not really sold on either Greece or Turkey but their performances have been ok and the odds (8/1 to 11/1) have been tempting. I think Norway probably deserves to win but i'm hedging my bets a little and shouldn't lose money - particularly with a free signing-on bet from one of the internet places to follow.

Sweden needs a good year to put a bit of faith back into the country - their press whinges about voting blocs more than ours does and they take it much more seriously - but i'm not sure how well they'll do this time. Melodiefestivalen does seem to throw up some strange nominations. We'll see.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 12:54:38 PM   
elab49

They were lucky last year. When it was confirmed that juries had been used for one of the places in the second semi-final most of the posters on a Eurovision board thing thought I was nuts when I was adamant they gave it to Sweden. It was such a clear demonstration of the difference between the phone vote and a jury vote and she just didn't deserve to go through. Such a pity - I really liked the entry Charlotte actually won with.

quote:

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 10
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 1:10:26 PM   
JessFranco

Yes, Take Me To Your Heaven was pretty good. The Swedish public tends to favour schlager-pop entries which evidently chimed with the semi-final jurists last year but have much less pan-European appeal than they did a decade ago. They'd have done much better with the various songs BWO have been entering into the Swedish heats for the last few years. 

They did break with form and send the brilliant rock group, The Ark, two years ago but their performance didn't really work and they had another lousy finish. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 1:20:12 PM   
elab49

I wasn't a great fan of it - and it just took Sweden from constantly entering Abbaesque songs to a glam-rock knock off from a bit earlier. I think the last one of theirs I liked was Roger Pontare's. Weird song but good vocal.

Ukraine - I really liked Greenjolly. I think it only did poorly because rap never works at Eurovision.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 12/5/2009 1:23:43 PM >

quote:

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 12
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 1:26:25 PM   
JessFranco

The Ark are an exceptionally good band but the performance was shaky and the song wasn't up to their usual standards - borrowing a bit too heavily from Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes by Edison Lighthouse.

Their last classic entry for me was It Hurts by Lena Ph, complete with suggestive microphone-stand actions. Not quite as good as her astonishing Lena Anthem but better than Sweden had come up with for years.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 1:42:08 PM   
elab49

Was Lorak your own favourite last year? Turkey got my 12 points - I've managed to pick up a few mor ve otesi CDs this year.

quote:

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 14
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 1:54:42 PM   
JessFranco

Yes, Lorak was my pick last year. It wasn't a classic competition, by any means, but i liked Sebastian Tellier and Kalomira as well.

I saw her in Kiev a few years ago, on the same bill as Ruslana, and she was pretty entertaining.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 2:10:34 PM   
Gamba

I'll be watching the final on Saturday with some friends. We're having a Eurovision-themed party with national dishes. I think we'll just be taking the piss though, and watching for the colourful costumes and crazy performances, and we might have some sort of sweepstake.

Seems like you guys above know a lot about the performers. I must say that my knowledge of European music is very small, apart from a few French artists I got to know while I was living in Belgium. How did you develop such an interest in the Eurovision song contest?

Sometimes I look up and think, "Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"....

.... and then it hits me...

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 16
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 2:16:04 PM   
Skiba

Got a party at mine on Sat where where people will be bringing/making different foods from the various countries...I'm waiting for the final line up to be done then gonna pick a dish to do that is particularly unusual from one of them

And I'm backing Belarus because this guy is fucking cool!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 17
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 2:25:01 PM   
elab49

Just by watching the contest. I started trying to source the music I liked mid-90s - there used to be some guy in, I think, Belgium, who'd collect stuff from the contestants from all over - then shops like Trehantiri in London started to source it too as so many of their customers where looking for Greek Eurovision entries - avability in HMV was pretty dismal. You'd get the odd Evridiki or Katti Garbi but that was it.

Belarus? Bad sub-Whitesnake vibe and boy he can't sing. For the party mentioned above he'll be a blast!

We used to do the nationality dishes thing. Colours of the country for sweepstakes too. Now I'm older it is safer just to do the cooking myself

quote:

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 18
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 2:34:07 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

How did you develop such an interest in the Eurovision song contest?

Like Elab, partly by watching it over the years. I have a real passion for European pop music independent of the contest too though so it sometimes overlaps with what i'd be listening to anyway. It's quite nice when acts i've been listening to for years are given the chance to perform to tens of millions.

quote:

then shops like Trehantiri in London

That's the one in Green Lanes, isn't it? I must admit, i've never been in. There are three Turkish record shops within a five minute walk of my front door i really must investigate too.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 2:34:57 PM   
elab49

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/pdfs/party/scorecard_semi_final_1.pdf

Beeb scorecard for tonight.

Bosnia - Herzegovina
Armenia
Sweden
Israel
Iceland
Turkey
Malta
Montenegro
Switzerland
Czech Republic

It is the lesser of the 2, but these would be my picks with only the 1st 5 really appealing to me.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 2:44:33 PM   
Deviation

I don't even know why Malta even bothers going into this. They take it seriously, the songs on the contest tend to be rubbish, and we never, never, never win. We (or the wierdos who follow the contest on this island and the singers) always come second becuase some damned nation thinks that it is good for politics (I think) to give it to their nieghbouring country instead to us. Who do we have as nieghbours? Italy are no longer in it. Cyprus are too far, Libya is not Europe..........

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 2:51:09 PM   
elab49

Maybe if you stopped entering saccharinely icky Chiara? You've had a couple of good songs lately - like Vertigo - where the performer made a mess on the night but I was genuinely annoyed Vodka didn't get through last year as I thought it was great.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 22
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:27:10 PM   
Deviation

I don't vote for it. Never did. I didn't like any of those. Never did. And you like Vodka? We do have fantastic music here but in the Eurovision it is not. Anyway, we put Chiara there for a reason. She alongside Ira(who is a bit better, and became quite decent now that she is over Eurovision) is the only one that comes second.

That's it, I'm forcing you to watch Benjamin Button. At least that had good music in it.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:30:39 PM   
Deviation

Oh and this is a very small island, I actually know one of the performers who appeared in Eurovision some four years ago, and he's a colleage to my mum's work, amazingly small island ain't it?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 24
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:31:54 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Ukraine should have won over Serbia in 2007!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9rJLtz64Hg

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 25
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:32:34 PM   
elab49

Nothing on this planet can force me to sit through that dross again.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 26
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:39:10 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

Of course it's dross, and is drossy to the extreme, and has an almighty sense of humour about it.

Besides Ukraine, the United Kingdom should have won in 2007.

"We're flying the flag all over the world."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:39:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

Ukraine should have won over Serbia in 2007!

Well, granted I don't think the women power crap from Serbia should have won. But the bad drag act? A good drag act fine - but a bad one channelling Sue Pollard? Nah. 'course one of the best Yugoslav entries always looked like a drag act - Baby Doll.

2007 - I wasn't a big fan of the final entries. The chap who won last year got marks from me with a far superior song but representing Belarus. THe Hungarian blues song was superb. For me we lost the best song in the semi because the singer looked like a middle aged German porn star - Albania's wonderful Frederick Ndoci. Fabulous voice.

quote:

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 28
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:40:25 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Of course it's dross, and is drossy to the extreme, and has an almighty sense of humour about it.

By dross I meant Benjamin Button, Squidward

quote:

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 29
RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2009 - 12/5/2009 3:45:18 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

quote:

quote:

By dross I meant Benjamin Button, Squidward

Ok.

In that case you're kee-razy. Benjamin Button is wonderful (I never thought I'd use that word).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Eurovision Song Contest 2009 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI