Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The claws are out

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The claws are out Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The claws are out - 9/6/2009 10:46:07 PM   
bozo

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, lots of fun. Brilliant action sequences, lots of energy and zaz. The perfect comic book action spectacular. 
Post #: 181
RE: Turd with naff plastic claws - 10/6/2009 1:17:50 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

I enjoyed it, it's not supposed to be cerebral if you want that watch The Dark Knight. I thought Hugh Jackman did a great job, it didn't think it was cheesy at all. I thought Ryan Reynolds was cool too and hilarious, Will. I am. did good too. Liev Schrieber makes a great bad guy, and Taylor Kitch was good as Gambit. The love interest for Jackman did good too, and I thought their chemistry was great. I like the humor (the bathroom thrash up was hilarious) too, all movies like this need it otherwise they are too serious. I like the fights, my only complaint they looked a bit too edited, and quick. I wanted the scraps to last longer, of course it's PG-13 so how badass can you get with that. I thought it was better than the first X-Men, yeah I said it, WOLVERINE is the ONLY reason I even watched X-Men, bitch it you want. I can't wait for the Director's Cut, and I liked the score by Harry Gregson Williams.

This.

Some shonky CGI and movie cliche's aside, I don't really understand the vitriol that this film has received.

I'm no comic afficianado, so perhaps if I was I would think differently, but this was a perfectly serviceable entry into the X-Men series. I thought it worked pretty well as an origin story, and whilst some of the other characters definitely needed more fleshing out, I was thoroughly entertained throughout the entire run.

Perhaps it was because I've waited  a while to see this and having heard it was bad, I went into it expecting the worst, but it isn't nearly as bad as some of the things that I've heard said about it.

Terminator: Salvation was adequately entertaining, but I cannot for the life of me see how that scored 4/5 from Empire, and this got 2/5. At worst, this is a 3 star movie, but I give it 4/5 as it was waaaaaay more fun than I was led to believe, and I thought it was great.

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 10/6/2009 1:20:21 PM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 182
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 1/7/2009 11:52:05 AM   
TWATSON008

BEST BIT WAS THE MONTAGE OF THE BROTHERS FIGHTING IN ALL THE WARS...WELL EDITED....GOOD PACE...REST OF THE FILM WAS AVERAGE....THE LONGER IT WENT ON THE LESS YOU WERE INTERESTED....STILL PREFER WOLVERINES CHARACTER FROM COMICS......

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 183
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 4/7/2009 6:15:51 PM   
SteveO85

I am big fan of the X-Men and comic book movies, so I was left massively dissappointed by this film. It is full of continuity problems, the CGI is ropey in parts, characters come and go so quickly you don't care about them, Gambit and Deadpool felt like they were shoe horned in for fanboys. But. worst of all, they remove all of Wolverine's humour and charisma and totally messed up the character of Deadpool. There is some good action, i suppose, but overall this was poor.

Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not 'Mr. Lebowski'. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post #: 184
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 21/8/2009 3:28:14 PM   
Gwilthyunman

Let the summer begin. This is one hell of a ride and it certainly lives up to my expectations. Wolverine's story has always been an interesting one and this movie, as it delves into all that we know about Logan and his Wolverine alter ego is simply fantastic. X-Men Origins - Wolverine is action packed from start to finish. The ending is especially satisfying as Professor X makes an appearance and you get to see some of the young mutants who will eventually appear in the three X-Men movies. I found the story to flow and I enjoyed the performances of Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber immensely. Gavin Hood, who's only other Hollywood credit is Rendition with Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhal, does a masterful job keeping the action rolling, the fights exhilarating and the performances crisp and accurate. The final showdown takes place on "Mutant Island" and it does not disappoint.

Post #: 185
RE: respect the stars - 15/10/2009 4:28:28 PM   
Shaunyboy27

Dr Science . . . Empire will not be giving stars based upon what the 'majority' will enjoy. They base their stars upon the opinion they form. As their jobs are to critique films, I believe they have a better ground for critcism than you and as the 'majority' know less about films I don't believe they have a valid point . . . Especially your friend's kids.

Wolverine is a bad film. Whether you are a fan of Wolverine or not doesn't matter. The fact that it is a bad film does not change. Transformers is better than Wolverine and even Superman Returns (as much as I hate to say it) are better than Wolverine. Let Empire to what we allow them to do and that is make their own judgements on films.

Thank you. [image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m9.gif[/image]
Post #: 186
RE: respect the stars - 15/10/2009 6:10:38 PM   
spamandham

After seeing this, I literally berserker raged the cinema manager until I received a full refund.

(in reply to Shaunyboy27)
Post #: 187
RE: respect the stars - 16/10/2009 11:59:04 AM   
CORLEONE

It has Wolverine, Gambit and Deadpool in it. Therefore is made of win.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 188
RE: respect the stars - 16/10/2009 12:58:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Good to see you were expecting a lot from the film there.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 189
RE: respect the stars - 16/10/2009 7:07:43 PM   
hampstead bandit

well the opening montage was truly excellent, and the ending made sense

but the bits in between were generally pretty poor

they really messed up what could have been THE best X-Men film yet

no DVD or Blu-Ray for me then...watching it once in the cinema was enough :(

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 190
RE: respect the stars - 18/10/2009 10:39:25 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

What can we really expect from comic book movies? An Oscar winning screenplay? I got what I expected. Yes, it could have been better, but it's nowhere as bad as some make out...

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 191
RE: respect the stars - 18/10/2009 11:04:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

What can we really expect from comic book movies? An Oscar winning screenplay? I got what I expected. Yes, it could have been better, but it's nowhere as bad as some make out...

Why not? If a series of movies about elves and hobbits can be nominated for a best screenplay oscar why not comic book movies? To settle for "well, what would you expect" seems to be giving yourself reasons to excuse the flaws in some of these films. I loved the first two X-Men films. The third one was at least aiming for something. That it didn't work is likely a result of a rush job, and the actors still give it their best.

Wolverine is a massive disappointment - such a lack of thought put into it, even simple stuff like the period detail is ignored - check out Strykers HD TV sets for instance.

The first two X-Men films set the bar this franchise has to reach. Neither of the two that have come after have managed it, but Wolverine in particular was flawed to hell - the internal logic of the series ignored and the cheap twists made no sense. If you are going to bring a character like Gambit into the flick, make him count for something and not just a "hey - its Gambit! Woo!"

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 192
RE: respect the stars - 18/10/2009 11:51:35 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Didn't like ORIGINS one little bit, HUGE disappointment.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 18/10/2009 11:52:43 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 193
RE: respect the stars - 18/10/2009 11:54:55 PM   
Snake-Eyes

the animated feature HULK VS was better than ALL of the X-Men Films, including the piss-poor 'Origins' which did NOTHING for the characters of Gambit & Deadpool.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 18/10/2009 11:57:15 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 194
RE: respect the stars - 19/10/2009 8:45:55 AM   
CORLEONE

I didn't expect much from the film and therefore enjoyed it as an enjoyable action romp. Yes, Wolverine deserved something better, and what they did with Deadpool was annoying but there are some great action sequences in it. I'm not massively defending the film and realise their are huge flaws but I had pretty low expectations so wasn't truly disappointed.

Can't bloody wait for the Deadpool film.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 195
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 4/11/2009 7:54:02 PM   
robwillphill

An adequate film that is in no way a terrible film. Though relatively lacking in thrill (the life seems to have been sucked out of this film to be replaced by a moody context) and 'Wolverine' contains some annoying plot holes, this is pretty much what i expected after 'The Last Stand'. Nothing incredible, but nothing awful.

6/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

Post #: 196
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 30/12/2009 9:13:25 AM   
UTB

Watched this on Blu Ray last night for the first time and I have to say, it wasn't that bad really. A bit too much growling, but the sparring between Hugh and Liev was excellent, the action was top notch (loved the helicopter sequence).

Not the all-out shitfest I was expecting.

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 197
RE: Good - 30/12/2009 1:14:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Flawed, yes, but fanboys Empire are taking it too seriously. Way better than Last Stand and the twist is great.

Yes, the fault for not liking the film rests with us.

And the twist is utterly stuipd. It makes no sense.

Post #: 198
RE: Good - 30/12/2009 8:28:21 PM   
hampstead bandit

I've watched it again

its not "brilliant" but a "good watch" and I quite enjoyed it again

3.5/5

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 199
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 22/8/2010 1:58:57 AM   
mickdekard23

Seriously how anybody can defend this piece of shit is beyond me! Hugh Jackman has played this character 3 times before and played him well, but here he plays him like somebody's impersonation of him playing him. It's terrible!
The script is a load of old wank, it contradicts whats happened in the previous films aswell as not making one iota of sense. The directing is terrible from start to finish, everything looks to fake! There is a scene with mutants running through the woods to prof x's helicopter... they are unnecessarily superimposed onto it...why!? And speaking of Professor X, he looks like a bad PS2 cut scene! The other mutants are lame, Gambit especially so. The action is shit, the acting more so and the big villain at the end is so ridiculous and badly thought out its unbelievable! Anybody that has this in their DVD collection ought to be ashamed of themselves.
-5 stars out of 5!
Post #: 200
RE: Good - 5/9/2010 6:18:22 PM   
velpix

As the title suggests, a good film. I felt that the main bad guy was a bit ridiculous, but overall a good film.

It's still worth a watch, but it could have been better.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 201
Wolverine - 25/3/2011 1:27:42 PM   
Tech_Noir

Just watched this on Blu Ray and I'm surprised by how much I liked it.

Wolverine was never my favorite X-Men character and I hated how the three previous movies focused on him so much yet I liked this. I actually felt some sympathy towards the character.

Visual effects were iffy in places but they never really distracted or bothered me.

Would have liked to have seen more Gambit but what can you do.

(in reply to velpix)
Post #: 202
RE: Wolverine - 25/3/2011 4:01:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

You too Tech?

So disappointed in you. You don't get to make fun of any other film ever again.

Ever.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 203
RE: Wolverine - 25/3/2011 4:46:38 PM   
Timon

quote:

You too Tech?

So disappointed in you. You don't get to make fun of any other film ever again.

Ever.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leut3zxRZZ1qf8yek.gif

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 204
RE: Wolverine - 25/3/2011 8:32:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

Am I supposed to not like this film?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 205
RE: Wolverine - 26/3/2011 12:04:08 AM   
gunstar

Fucking awful. 

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 206
Souless and Lazy Prequel - 9/8/2011 8:45:11 PM   
trainedasninja

A shame that the Wolverine origins turned out to be such a mess, Jackman really does try. However, It aims for the big emotion and epic feel with rediculously OTT action sequences, a lame and clunky script and a story riddled and messed with plot holes. It doesnt feel like a prequel but a strange alternative version of the events mentioned in X2 that you seriously must ignore. It feels as though the writers try for the obvious and the lack of creative ambition really does show. Lets be fair there are worse films...

Post #: 207
X-Men Origins: Wolverine Review - 14/12/2011 4:16:52 PM   
the film man

Though Hugh Jackman gives his all, he can't help X-Men Origins: Wolverine overcome a cliche-ridden script and familiar narrative.

Post #: 208
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine Review - 10/2/2012 12:44:23 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Poor form all over to be honest.
Which is a shame due to the fact I think Hugh Jackman has alot of respect for this ruthless,bloodied character but it just wont work if the producers,directors and distributers try to compact the character into a family orientated film.
Though I thought the cast names were chosen well the script didnt offer much leeway for the story to have much depth.The story lacked 'flow' and a smoother continuation between scenes.
A film that merely concentrated on the set scenes rather than mixing it with a tighter script.
And though I said the characters were chosen right with the right actors,the mere effort in trying to cram so many characters into the begining of a origin story was abit much for my liking.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 10/2/2012 12:46:02 AM >

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 209
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine Review - 1/8/2012 12:36:34 PM   
waltham1979

I thought by leaving this film - like a fine wine - for a couple of years I may go back and watch it again and enjoy it a little more. I watched it again the other day and needless to say I didn't. Its like buying a bottle of Lambrini and leaving that for a couple of years. It truly is fucking awful. Nuff' said.

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 1/8/2012 12:38:23 PM >

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: The claws are out Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI