Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I enjoyed it

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I enjoyed it Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I enjoyed it - 1/5/2009 12:10:06 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimoakley666

quote:

You're all over analysing it - it's a fun (early) summer blockbuster.  Ok some of the CGI is poor (like in the bathroom) but it has some genuine unexpected moments and it's full of great action scenes (see the end fight) Reynolds and the dude from scream are excellent in the film.  It might not play as well at home as in the cinema due to the wow special effects so see it on the big screen.  Over all a 3 and a half to four star film.  Forget the plot holes and enjoy the ride...

But weren't they actual prop claws in the bathroom scene? He wasn't fighting with them and was just looking at them extended so that normally means they are an on-set prop.

I don't think so they looked very CGI-ish to me

Yeah they were defintiely CGI. It's weird how some effects shots look unifinished yet other scenes were amazing.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 91
RE: 2 stars at a push - 1/5/2009 12:52:25 PM   
demoncleaner

I really liked it.  I have a natural aversion to what I call the day-glo brigade of comic book films (yer, Hulks, yer Iron and Spidermen) but I’ve always had time for the X-Men movies.  Not to the extent of owning any of them on DVD but certainly enough to go see each one in the cinema and not, to my recollection, be disappointed with a single one.  And so X-Men Origins marks no change in the weather as far as I’m concerned.

No, it’s not a “great” film.  It won’t set the world on fire. It’s dubious whether any of the assembled mutants gel into one story or whether their appearance doesn’t amount to anything more than just that, a cameo prick-tease for the fanboys.  The flat note in the beginning of the third act may also belie the notion that all that early momentum was necessary. 

But you know what?  Despite all that, its all kinda nifty.  Hood directs with pace (probably too much) and the script keeps things the dairy side of cheese.  Jackman is as watchable as ever in the role and the introduction of Schreiber and Huston is very welcome.     Oh and more Deadpool in future films please. 

Perhaps it doesn't quite wear the heft of a Summer main attraction.  But definitely a welcome Spring’s entertainment.

Post #: 92
RE: Wolverine the Marmite of Comic book movies - 1/5/2009 1:55:38 PM   
geekpenguin

@FilmBrain
quote:

- Why does Silverfox go to the trouble of an elaborate ruse when she could have grabbed Wolverine by the hand and told him to go through the bonding.

Because she loved him. She didn't use her powers on him to make him fall in love with her, he just did naturally. So why would she want to start using on them to make him do that? You don't do that kind of thing to the person you're in love with.

I thought the film was great :) sure, if I was being totally honest, I'd have liked a *little* more from it. But I was happy :D any Wolvie action is great IMO. He is the only thing that kept X3 going and made X2 bearable. Loved Ryan Reynolds and Liev Schreiber in their roles. Both are amazing actors, and whilst like everyone has said, Reynolds is a tad underused, I'm sure he's going to be reappearing if there are sequels.

The story was good, kept me interested anyway. *Shrugs* I don't get all the bashing it's being given.

"When you can't run, you crawl; and when you can't crawl anymore, when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

Batman Begins *****
The Dark Knight **** and a half...
Post #: 93
RE: Wolverine the Marmite of Comic book movies - 1/5/2009 2:10:07 PM   
Woger

Harry Knowles professional review of the film.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40937

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to geekpenguin)
Post #: 94
RE: typical fuckin empire - 1/5/2009 2:17:27 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Oooops , just seen it . Worse than 'The Last Stand '. It felt extremely rushed . It seemed like it had been written by a child . It needed a much better Director . Whilst watching it i kept thinking' Electra ' .... only with a bit more money thrown at it .

Is it fair to blame the director or does it reek of studio influence and pandering to oinks?

Probably not fair to blame the Director totally although he must take a bit of it . I saw the Directors - Gavin Hood - last movie 'Rendition' and thought it very good . He must have talent cos he was the driving force behind 'Tsotsi' but if you watched his last 3 movies one after the other 'Wolverine' is the worst in my opinion and dont look like they are even by the same Director .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 95
RE: typical fuckin empire - 1/5/2009 2:19:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oooops , just seen it . Worse than 'The Last Stand '. It felt extremely rushed . It seemed like it had been written by a child . It needed a much better Director . Whilst watching it i kept thinking' Electra ' .... only with a bit more money thrown at it .

Is it fair to blame the director or does it reek of studio influence and pandering to oinks?

Probably not fair to blame the Director totally although he must take a bit of it . I saw the Directors - Gavin Hood - last movie 'Rendition' and thought it very good . He must have talent cos he was the driving force behind 'Tsotsi' but if you watched his last 3 movies one after the other 'Wolverine' is the worst in my opinion and dont look like they are even by the same Director .

Unless he was not involved in any of the shots, then yes, he carries some of the blame.

Most looked like it was shot for a tv-movie

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 96
RE: Wolverine the Marmite of Comic book movies - 1/5/2009 2:25:05 PM   
Film Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: geekpenguin

@FilmBrain
quote:

- Why does Silverfox go to the trouble of an elaborate ruse when she could have grabbed Wolverine by the hand and told him to go through the bonding.

Because she loved him. She didn't use her powers on him to make him fall in love with her, he just did naturally. So why would she want to start using on them to make him do that? You don't do that kind of thing to the person you're in love with.

I understand that but the film doesn't make entirely clear whether the relationship itself was started because of Wolverine or Stryker kidnapping her sister (in which case, its a bigger hole). Besides, wouldn't using her power have been much less harmful for both their sakes than setting up her own "death"?

(in reply to geekpenguin)
Post #: 97
RE: typical fuckin empire - 1/5/2009 2:25:36 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unless he was not involved in any of the shots, then yes, he carries some of the blame.

Most looked like it was shot for a tv-movie

Spot on .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 98
RE: Wolverine the Marmite of Comic book movies - 1/5/2009 2:58:45 PM   
geekpenguin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Film Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: geekpenguin

@FilmBrain
quote:

I understand that but the film doesn't make entirely clear whether the relationship itself was started because of Wolverine or Stryker kidnapping her sister (in which case, its a bigger hole). Besides, wouldn't using her power have been much less harmful for both their sakes than setting up her own "death"?

I suppose it would have been :p but that does seem fairly logical and straightforward...don't think that was the aim of the writers, IMO. Also wouldn't have been particularly interesting IMO!

< Message edited by geekpenguin -- 1/5/2009 2:59:13 PM >

"When you can't run, you crawl; and when you can't crawl anymore, when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."

Batman Begins *****
The Dark Knight **** and a half...

(in reply to Film Brain)
Post #: 99
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 3:01:13 PM   
Film Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE
quote:

(Says someone who has the only good moment in the film as his avatar)

What's that got to do with anything? It's a fucking good avatar.

Nothing, I was saying your avatar was badass, no offence intended. Best moment of the film for me, personally. (Reynolds' 3 minutes were awesome)

< Message edited by Film Brain -- 1/5/2009 3:02:07 PM >

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 100
RE: Wolverine - 1/5/2009 3:09:49 PM   
Acho

quote:

Harry Knowles professional review of the film.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40937

What a f*cking ass! Even by his standards. I mean, he doesn't even attempt to hide his pettiness! Basically "FOX didn't invite AICN to a press screening, so I'm not going to go see it and review it for my readers; instead, I'll just copy and paste comments and reviews from other sources". What a waste of internet space.

< Message edited by Acho -- 1/5/2009 3:10:09 PM >

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 101
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 3:14:08 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

quote:

quote:

(Says someone who has the only good moment in the film as his avatar)

What's that got to do with anything? It's a fucking good avatar.

Nothing, I was saying your avatar was badass, no offence intended. Best moment of the film for me, personally. (Reynolds' 3 minutes were awesome)

Agreed. I craved more Deadpool. In a non-sexual manner of course. Think the film would have benefited from being fleshed out more. Past wars scenes, instead of summarising them in the credits would have been good. Other scenes for Gambit and Deadpool could have added a star for me. Don't know how much, if any, has been cut.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Film Brain)
Post #: 102
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 3:16:50 PM   
CORLEONE

Harry Knowles is a fat ginger twunt. That is all.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 103
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 3:26:48 PM   
Film Brain

quote:

Other scenes for Gambit and Deadpool could have added a star for me. Don't know how much, if any, has been cut.

I did notice a few bits in the trailer seemed to be lacking:
- Stryker's "All the horrible things in your life..." is gone
- Wraith's "You mean we'll be making a difference?" is not present
- Young Storm is not in the film
- Wolverine takes Silverfox's body to the beach
- Stryker says in the trailer "You were court marshalled for decapitating a superior officer". The final film changes it to 'killed', so that must be an alternate as well as a different version where Sabretooth decapitates the officer rather than stabs him.

But I don't think much for Gambit or Deadpool is missing. But if you crave more Reynolds as Deadpool, check his in-character TV spot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6gCcbFPaXc

There's also a post-credits tag that is only in limited US prints that plays instead of Wolverine. The UK only has Wolverine (the second version would have to be classified by the BBFC again, it was only submitted once)

< Message edited by Film Brain -- 1/5/2009 3:33:01 PM >

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 104
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 3:39:48 PM   
target

quote:

Harry Knowles is a fat ginger twunt. That is all.

Body fascism!

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 105
RE: I enjoyed it - 1/5/2009 4:39:49 PM   
jothman

quote:

You're all over analysing it - it's a fun (early) summer blockbuster.  Ok some of the CGI is poor (like in the bathroom) but it has some genuine unexpected moments and it's full of great action scenes (see the end fight) Reynolds and the dude from scream are excellent in the film.  It might not play as well at home as in the cinema due to the wow special effects so see it on the big screen.  Over all a 3 and a half to four star film.  Forget the plot holes and enjoy the ride...

Forget the fact that wolverine is so dumb he doesnt realise that silver fox is not dead!!!!

Forget that after Agent Zero has shot him in the head, stryker still orders him to kill him with normal bullets(just give him the adamantium bullets)

Forget that adamantium an indestructable metal is in fact not indestructable..

Its lame mate...

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 106
RE: Dreadful - 1/5/2009 4:42:50 PM   
jothman

quote:

quote:

The X-Men franchise has its Batman & Robin. Silly action scenes, HUGE plot hoes and rips off Helboy, Saving Private Ryan's Ohama Beach sequence to the finale of The Phantom Menace. Spits in the face of the film continuity dozens of times. Acting is atrocious at times, as is direction. Don't waste your time. Even the CGI is outrageousy poor (check out Logan's jump out of a helicopter)

Batman and Robin?!? Hardly, mate. What were you smoking?

Yea wot are you on about..... This was so much worse than batman and robin

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 107
RE: Empire - 1/5/2009 4:44:23 PM   
jothman

quote:

Actually. I was a bit niffed by Empire's 2 stars and It made me think, Empire has been rather routinely shit with their ratings over the past few years. I don't normally pay much attention to them as I feel I'd rather make my own judgment but in these cash strapped times I can't afford to be forking out for my usual two film mags (bloody 8 quid for the both) so I'm dropping Empire in favour of Total Film. May seem petty, but so was the review.

Are you insane, this film was produced by kids aimed at kids, it was terrible

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 108
RE: RE: - 1/5/2009 4:48:46 PM   
jothman

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmci

I saw the post credits scene set in Japan, did anyone get something different?

yea i saw red, then realised my eyes were bleeding lol....

(in reply to benmci)
Post #: 109
RE: RE: - 1/5/2009 5:12:49 PM   
jothman

[color="#000000" size="2"]SPOILER ALERT ALTERNATIVE ENDING

the ending i saw had wolverine in japan...
hes surrounded by vast amounts of cash bent on all fours being bummed by tim rothman, shouting "show me the money"

(in reply to jothman)
Post #: 110
RE: Butchered - 1/5/2009 5:25:57 PM   
mustbebunnies

havent read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned already....

but while I realise the X-Men comics did it first (altho I'm not familiar with them), was I the only one that couldnt help thinking how similar Buffy season 4 was in terms of the whole super-mutant-secret-facilty-doing experiments thing. Am I right in thinking Joss Whedon wrote some X-men comics? If so, I'm guessing he's a pretty big fan, and was wondering if that inspired the season somewhat.

Basically I started thinking about this cos I got a bit bored and my mind started to wander...
Post #: 111
RE: Butchered - 1/5/2009 5:55:50 PM   
jothman

quote:

ORIGINAL: mustbebunnies

havent read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned already....

but while I realise the X-Men comics did it first (altho I'm not familiar with them), was I the only one that couldnt help thinking how similar Buffy season 4 was in terms of the whole super-mutant-secret-facilty-doing experiments thing. Am I right in thinking Joss Whedon wrote some X-men comics? If so, I'm guessing he's a pretty big fan, and was wondering if that inspired the season somewhat.

Basically I started thinking about this cos I got a bit bored and my mind started to wander...

yea joss is a big x men fan and did indeed write the astonishing x men.... would have been good if he dircted it cos maybe u wouldnt get this mish mash pile of tripe

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 112
RE: RE: - 1/5/2009 6:58:02 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: jothman

[color="#000000" size="2"]SPOILER ALERT ALTERNATIVE ENDING

the ending i saw had wolverine in japan...
hes surrounded by vast amounts of cash bent on all fours being bummed by tim rothman, shouting "show me the money"

Fucking hilarious.

Note: sarcasm

(in reply to jothman)
Post #: 113
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 7:59:44 PM   
joemanji

SPOILERS!

I agree with many people above, the film was a big disappointment. I don't think it was a total disaster, Liev Schreiber (sp?) and Reynolds were good if underused, there were a few good bits and the tone wasn't too far off, even if the characterisation of Wolverine himself was. Isn't he supposed to be a bad man? Jackman just gets more camp as the films go on. Logan is supposed to be a sweaty, hairy, ugly, grumpy man. The film was nowhere near as bad as Batman & Robin though. Not even close.

The plot holes were many and annoying, but are symptoms of the film's problems IMO, not the cause. And that would be studio interference. Too many pointless cameos from two-bit mutants. Wraith? Blob? They are just hired muscle in the comics. I don't care about his eating disorder. Not enough gore ... no blood at all that I remember. Watered down for a lower cert it seems. Virtually no plot. All the actual story is skipped over for a boring love story and Wolvie having a walkabout and meeting a few people for no other reason than a focus group wants them in. How did Logan and Victor become who they were? What did they do in the wars?

2/5

quote:

There's also a post-credits tag that is only in limited US prints that plays instead of Wolverine. The UK only has Wolverine (the second version would have to be classified by the BBFC again, it was only submitted once)

Is this definite? There is an Empire blog on XMO: Wolverine which states the writer had only seen one of the SIX secret endings, suggesting they are available in the UK.

That said, I have checked all 3 of our prints and a 4th at another cinema, and all of them have the Wolvie in Japan ending.

(in reply to Film Brain)
Post #: 114
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 8:19:47 PM   
Film Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: joemanji
quote:

Is this definite? There is an Empire blog on XMO: Wolverine which states the writer had only seen one of the SIX secret endings, suggesting they are available in the UK.

That said, I have checked all 3 of our prints and a 4th at another cinema, and all of them have the Wolvie in Japan ending.

I've ony heard of two endings (the other is Deadpool, which I can confirm because I found it on the internet). There is only one BBFC submission listed:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/0f19f01390bac413802575920053b0c9?OpenDocument

If they changed the film, they'd have to sumbit again. Also, the new, alternate post-credit scene was shot very late (and it shows, it was awful) and no doubt didn't make it onto international prints where it opened early (i.e. UK). That's why I suspect that all UK prints are Wolverine and the alternate is only in the US.

< Message edited by Film Brain -- 1/5/2009 8:24:34 PM >

(in reply to joemanji)
Post #: 115
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 1/5/2009 9:29:50 PM   
joemanji

This movie was supposed to be set in 1979 then? How old was Scott Summers supposed to be in this movie anyway? The actor who played the young version is now 24. James Marsden is only 12 years older, and X-Men and XMO:W were released 9 years apart ... go figure.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 116
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 1/5/2009 9:58:26 PM   
Barraluke

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've ony heard of two endings (the other is Deadpool, which I can confirm because I found it on the internet). There is only one BBFC submission listed:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/0f19f01390bac413802575920053b0c9?OpenDocument

If they changed the film, they'd have to sumbit again. Also, the new, alternate post-credit scene was shot very late (and it shows, it was awful) and no doubt didn't make it onto international prints where it opened early (i.e. UK). That's why I suspect that all UK prints are Wolverine and the alternate is only in the US.

The post-credits I've just seen features Stryker being taken in for questioning over the General's death by the army. I satyed till the lights came on, and thats all i saw. And i give it 3 stars - just for fun

A naked American man stole my balloons.

(in reply to Film Brain)
Post #: 117
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 2/5/2009 12:45:32 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barraluke

quote:

quote:

quote:

The post-credits I've just seen features Stryker being taken in for questioning over the General's death by the army. I satyed till the lights came on, and thats all i saw. And i give it 3 stars - just for fun

i got the stryker scene half way through the credits, followed by the japan right at the end, after the credits had finished.

i actually really enjoyed the film, it wasnt anywhere near as awful as x men 3, and while there were a few issues i thought it worked well as a fun piece of action cinema.

(in reply to Barraluke)
Post #: 118
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 2/5/2009 1:02:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

Another funny bit I forgot to mention

Wolverine on his knees shouting "NOOOOOOOOOO..." and looking upwards to the sky. It makes the similar moment in Revenge of the Sith feel almost restraned in comparison.

Subtle this film ain't.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 119
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 2/5/2009 10:48:41 AM   
Barraluke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Another funny bit I forgot to mention

Wolverine on his knees shouting "NOOOOOOOOOO..." and looking upwards to the sky. It makes the similar moment in Revenge of the Sith feel almost restraned in comparison.

Subtle this film ain't.

I dont think subtle was the aim here. I came out with my friend, asked him what he thought, and he said: Well it wasnt very realistic! Its a freaking comic book movie where a dude has metal claws and is full of mutants. Its not supposed to be realistic - or subtle. It's supposed to be fun: and it was

A naked American man stole my balloons.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I enjoyed it Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI