Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: I would like

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I would like Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I would like - 29/4/2009 10:10:35 PM   
Fletcher

I think two stars is a bit harsh for the film. It has its flaws and it isn't the X2 beater some people would have hoped for. But, it is an enjoyable popcorn movie with some nice funny momments and some good action scenes, the final fight being one of them. As many have already said on here both Ryan Reynolds and Liev Schrieber are very good in their respective roles as Deadpool and Sabertooth. My only major gripe is that these two, along with Gambit, were underused at the expense of cramming in too many mutants. Did we really need to have Scott Summers, Emma Frost and the Blob in it?

One more thing too SPOLIER ALERT

Did Patrick Stewart actually film his sequence or was he added in digitally? it didn't look or sound right.

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 31
RE: MUST BE SEEN AT THE FLICKS! - 29/4/2009 11:52:10 PM   
BatFan

So I just watched it and i've got  aquestion about the scene after the credits

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so the director said there were multiple endings after the end credits. The one I had was Wolverine drinking in a bar in Japan setting up Wolverine 2. I Read through IMDB and apparently there is one with Deadpool but there is conflicting reports of what actually happens in it (one person says that the headless corpse of Weapon XI touches it's head no longer sowed shut and says "shhhhh" but another report has Wade Wilson himself pick up the head and say "WHat are you looking at to the camera, breaking the 4th wall and showing that weapon XI wasn't Deadpool but a clone) so I thought i'd ask here what other endings there were and what actually happened in the Deadpool one?

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"
Post #: 32
RE: Wolverine - 30/4/2009 12:43:00 AM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

Okay so the director said there were multiple endings after the end credits. The one I had was Wolverine drinking in a bar in Japan setting up Wolverine 2. I Read through IMDB and apparently there is one with Deadpool but there is conflicting reports of what actually happens in it (one person says that the headless corpse of Weapon XI touches it's head no longer sowed shut and says "shhhhh" but another report has Wade Wilson himself pick up the head and say "WHat are you looking at to the camera, breaking the 4th wall and showing that weapon XI wasn't Deadpool but a clone) so I thought i'd ask here what other endings there were and what actually happened in the Deadpool one?

SPOILERS (of sorts) continue

Okay, so it's "multiple" as in different everywhere? No fair! I got a crappy Stryker ending! In it, he's walking down a road, his feet are bleeding (as Kayla had told him to do), when an army truck comes up behind him. A soldier/officer gets out, says "Captain Stryker?" (may not be Captain, can't remember his rank!), Stryker says yes, then the soldier says "you're under arrest for murder of [that other army guy he killed in the film]". That's pretty much it though.

I did wonder what they'd do with Deadpool alright. Seemed too much to believe that they'd cast someone of Ryan Reynolds profile, then use him so little in the film, only for him to be killed off at the end. I guess decapitation is no longer fatal, eh?

< Message edited by Acho -- 30/4/2009 1:08:01 AM >

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 33
RE: Wolverine - 30/4/2009 1:01:31 AM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho

quote:

Okay, so it's "multiple" as in different everywhere? No fair! I got a crappy Stryker ending! In it, he's walking down a road, his feet are bleeding (as Kayla had told him to do), when an army truck comes up behind him. A soldier/officer gets out, says "Captain Stryker?" (may not be Captain, can't remember his rank!), Stryker says yes, then the soldier says "you're under arrest for murder of [that other army guy he killed in the film]". That's pretty much it though.

I did wonder what they'd do with Deadpool alright. Seemed too much to believe that they'd cast someone of Ryan Reynolds profile, then use him so much in the film, only for him to be killed off at the end. I guess decapitation is no longer fatal, eh?

The stryker ending is on all prints of the film. The multiple endings are the ones which are at the very end of the credits. But yeah I agree with you that someone so big could have a role so small. From what I gathered, the reshoots in January were to bump up Reynolds screentime. So before then how much of the film was he in? A second?

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 34
RE: Wolverine - 30/4/2009 1:07:13 AM   
Acho

quote:

quote:

quote:

I did wonder what they'd do with Deadpool alright. Seemed too much to believe that they'd cast someone of Ryan Reynolds profile, then use him so little in the film, only for him to be killed off at the end. I guess decapitation is no longer fatal, eh?

The stryker ending is on all prints of the film. The multiple endings are the ones which are at the very end of the credits. But yeah I agree with you that someone so big could have a role so small. From what I gathered, the reshoots in January were to bump up Reynolds screentime. So before then how much of the film was he in? A second?

Ah, okay so. I didn't stay til the very very end. Bum. Might pop in to see the end credits next time I'm in the cinema for something else.

Reynolds is a very charismatic screen presence. I'd say too much screen time would run the risk of challenging our Wolvie affections and Jackman's star! If they do a second one of these, and he comes out of that decently, then I'd imagine he's nicely set up for his own off-shoot.

< Message edited by Acho -- 30/4/2009 1:08:19 AM >

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 35
RE: Wolverine - 30/4/2009 1:29:31 AM   
BatFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah, okay so. I didn't stay til the very very end. Bum. Might pop in to see the end credits next time I'm in the cinema for something else.

Reynolds is a very charismatic screen presence. I'd say too much screen time would run the risk of challenging our Wolvie affections and Jackman's star! If they do a second one of these, and he comes out of that decently, then I'd imagine he's nicely set up for his own off-shoot.

I get where your coming from but I just don't get how Fox expects joe public to want a spin off of Deadpool and also Gambit (Who I don't think could carry a film as the lead character anyway) from the 5 minutes they were each on screen for.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 36
RE: Wolverine - 30/4/2009 1:57:43 AM   
Acho

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I get where your coming from but I just don't get how Fox expects joe public to want a spin off of Deadpool and also Gambit (Who I don't think could carry a film as the lead character anyway) from the 5 minutes they were each on screen for.

That's exactly what I mean though. They just weren't in this film for any decent amount of time, which means that if FOX have any thoughts of off-shoots, they really need meatier parts. Sure, fans of the comic books know exactly who Deadpool or Gambit are, but the rest of us (myself included) get our first introduction in Wolverine, and we're not given much to work on. Wolverine only got his own film because he was so well received in the three X-Men films

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 37
RE: Not 2 stars! - 30/4/2009 8:36:34 AM   
borstal

Oh dear. What a heavy handed mess that was. The plot lurched around so much you didnt give a shit about any of the characters.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

Post #: 38
RE: Meh - 30/4/2009 9:06:24 AM   
CORLEONE

I had a fanboygasm when Gambit started hurling cards. Just thought I'd share.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".
Post #: 39
RE: Spolier Alert!! - 30/4/2009 10:05:35 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: palmerantony

One big spoilerific question - how are they going to give deadpool his own movie given what happens at the end of the film??

SPOILERS

This the question I've been asking myself. Was the Weapon XI at the end of the film actually Deadpool? I'm not so sure. I know Stryker says it's a "pool" of something and this is an obvious reference but it's not clear-cut IMO.

Either way Deadpool as Ryan Reynolds was one of the plus points. The scene where he enters the room and blocks the bullets with his swords was spectacular.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".
Post #: 40
RE: Dreadful - 30/4/2009 11:32:02 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Film Brain

The X-Men franchise has its Batman & Robin. Silly action scenes, HUGE plot hoes and rips off Helboy, Saving Private Ryan's Ohama Beach sequence to the finale of The Phantom Menace. Spits in the face of the film continuity dozens of times. Acting is atrocious at times, as is direction. Don't waste your time. Even the CGI is outrageousy poor (check out Logan's jump out of a helicopter)

Batman and Robin?!? Hardly, mate. What were you smoking?

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Post #: 41
Empire - 30/4/2009 11:38:43 AM   
jimoakley666

Actually. I was a bit niffed by Empire's 2 stars and It made me think, Empire has been rather routinely shit with their ratings over the past few years. I don't normally pay much attention to them as I feel I'd rather make my own judgment but in these cash strapped times I can't afford to be forking out for my usual two film mags (bloody 8 quid for the both) so I'm dropping Empire in favour of Total Film. May seem petty, but so was the review.

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 42
RE: What a load of rubbish! - 30/4/2009 11:56:19 AM   
Goodfella

Was that written by a twelve year old? The island of mutants!? Bitty storylines, dreadful acting (which casting agent landed on Will.I.Am!?) and a rather big irrelevance to the whole fucking franchise that succeeded it due to SPOILER! Wolverine's memory being erased at the end.

I don't think I'll bother with any of the other Origins films after this pathetic dribble.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 43
RE: Meh - 30/4/2009 12:06:11 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Four stars

Ok, he could have erased Wolverine's memories before the procedure but then the story wouldn't have made sense.  There was plenty of action / Reynolds needed more time but he was excellent and the cameo was a nice touch.  The end fight was superb a triumph of special effects.  When it started I thought it was gonna be poor but it got better as it went along with several unexpected things happening (too many spoilers) and over all two stars is mean.  Ok, it's not X2 or the Dark Knight but it's on the next step down.  Excellent. 

Post #: 44
RE: Empire - 30/4/2009 12:12:21 PM   
theoriginalcynic

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimoakley666

Actually. I was a bit niffed by Empire's 2 stars and It made me think, Empire has been rather routinely shit with their ratings over the past few years. I don't normally pay much attention to them as I feel I'd rather make my own judgment but in these cash strapped times I can't afford to be forking out for my usual two film mags (bloody 8 quid for the both) so I'm dropping Empire in favour of Total Film. May seem petty, but so was the review.

Yeah I think it's there worst review since the Simpsons movie.  Both were wildly off the mark...

Post #: 45
RE: What?!? - 30/4/2009 12:38:08 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

Bit fucking harsh, Empire. Considering some of the absolute shiz you give 5 stars to...

Yes I have a few niggles. The Adamantium and experimentation was over way too quickly and didn't show the full torture and inhumanity of it. It should have been something dragged out over months with Wolverine being broken down, tested, broken down even more and made less and less 'human' in soul.

Agreed, never a 2 star film. Hope Jackman shuns 'em. All the other cop-out 3 stars they've given and then they give this 2. Seems they're making an example of the film for some reason.

And yes, the adamantium process should have been extended (Director's Cut I wonder). Stryker says, first we must destroy you, but it's over in a couple of minutes. I suppose the vision I had of the process was probably too gruesome for a 12A, though it did show Logan covered in blood in flashbacks in the X-Men films.

Post #: 46
RE: What a load of rubbish! - 30/4/2009 12:44:35 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Was that written by a twelve year old? The island of mutants!? Bitty storylines, dreadful acting (which casting agent landed on Will.I.Am!?) and a rather big irrelevance to the whole fucking franchise that succeeded it due to SPOILER! Wolverine's memory being erased at the end.

I don't think I'll bother with any of the other Origins films after this pathetic dribble.

What's your beef with the island? Agreed William (yes I'm calling him William) was shite but he was the only one I noticed.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 47
RE: Empires reviews are getting worse!! - 30/4/2009 1:23:51 PM   
markasmarv

Dude, im with ye. I usually buy both of the expensive little bastards but this may just be the last straw.

2 quid!, your out of your mind..you can stuff it up your arse for nothing and fuck off while your doing it.
Post #: 48
RE: X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 30/4/2009 1:39:24 PM   
JagLover

2 stars does seem rather harsh given some of the other reviews I have seen plus reactions from people who have seen the movie.

This looks like being a solid 3 star move that Empire have taken a dislike too for some reason.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 49
RE: What a load of rubbish! - 30/4/2009 1:46:05 PM   
jimoakley666

[q
uote]ORIGINAL: Goodfella

[/quote]
Really?! Was Will I Am really any worse an actor than any of the other average Hollywood types out there? Really?

* ahem-keanureeves-vindiesel-annafarris-arnie-jessicaalba-andiemcdowel-stalone-jlo-paulwalker-orlandobloom-astonkutcher-hilaryduff-jeniferaniston-keiraknightly-haydenchristensen-ryanphilipe-katebeckinsale-evamendez-markwahlberg-johntravolta-heathergraham-danielradcliffe-ahem*

Sorry. Bad cough.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 50
RE: What?!? - 30/4/2009 1:48:00 PM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

Bit fucking harsh, Empire. Considering some of the absolute shiz you give 5 stars to...

Yes I have a few niggles. The Adamantium and experimentation was over way too quickly and didn't show the full torture and inhumanity of it. It should have been something dragged out over months with Wolverine being broken down, tested, broken down even more and made less and less 'human' in soul.

Agreed, never a 2 star film. Hope Jackman shuns 'em. All the other cop-out 3 stars they've given and then they give this 2. Seems they're making an example of the film for some reason.

And yes, the adamantium process should have been extended (Director's Cut I wonder). Stryker says, first we must destroy you, but it's over in a couple of minutes. I suppose the vision I had of the process was probably too gruesome for a 12A, though it did show Logan covered in blood in flashbacks in the X-Men films.

Too right. Shame about the rating...

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 51
RE: Good but not on par with X-Men 2 - 30/4/2009 2:35:49 PM   
krudler

2 stars at a stretch tbh, awful direction, looks like a tv series in places, cgi looks unfinished (the bathroom scene where his claws look like they're floating there is laughable) Deadpool is wasted, as is Gambit (whose accent disappears after 5 minutes) some AWFUL greenscreen work at the end (the kids running towards the helicopter is one of the worst composited shots I've ever seen) crap continuity between this and the X-men franchise, excusable with reboots like Batman Begins as its a different universe but this is in the same era so its inexcusable, in X2 we see him covered in blood wondering what the claws are but here he still has his memory at this stage.

also, what fucking year is this set? one minute they're in Vietnam the next they're walking into Africa wearing modern swat-type gear, using technology that didnt exist at the time, pants pants pants

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 52
RE: Good but not on par with X-Men 2 - 30/4/2009 2:46:49 PM   
CORLEONE

I just want to say I like origin stories. That is all.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 53
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 30/4/2009 4:01:21 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

* ahem-keanureeves-vindiesel-annafarris-arnie-jessicaalba-andiemcdowel-stalone-jlo-paulwalker-orlandobloom-astonkutcher-hilaryduff-jeniferaniston-keiraknightly-haydenchristensen-ryanphilipe-katebeckinsale-evamendez-markwahlberg-johntravolta-heathergraham-danielradcliffe-ahem*

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 54
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 30/4/2009 5:01:20 PM   
krudler

The whole movie should have been set in Vietnam, that would have been great, instead of skimming over the relationship between Logan and Sabretooth, oh and whats with Logans first name, Jimmy?! Jimmy Logan?!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 55
RE: Classic Superhero bash - 30/4/2009 5:42:45 PM   
Ironclad

quote:

ORIGINAL: hamsterminator

I have to say I think empire's 2 star review of this film really weakens my trust in their reviews. Each to their own, but never has a film been more deserving of a three star review. Nothing in this film falls below average, and the rest (effects, acting and storyline) easily exceed expectations.
Granted, there is nothing to really wow you, no one thing that makes you think it is a milestone in film history, but if you liked any of the previous films in the Xmen trilogy, this 4th installment will definately please you.
So the film is well worth the trip. Unfortunately the review here submitted by Nick de Semlyen seems to reek of basic ignorance about this film. Why does Wolverine grow up but not age past adulthood? Watch the first film, it tells you. How does Striker know shooting wolverines brains out would make him loose his memory? The guy is overseeing a group of scientsists dedicated to researching these things, you would hope he has a clue. The Hero's style twist? The film is based on a comic book... "twists" like these are commonplace in comics.

Good film, not great, but certainly not bad, and I would suggest employing someone with more imagination to review superhero movies in future so they don't get too confused...

Couldn't agree more mate, the guy should check the Tesco website as they are looking for shelf fillers lol.
Post #: 56
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 30/4/2009 5:52:44 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

The whole movie should have been set in Vietnam, that would have been great, instead of skimming over the relationship between Logan and Sabretooth, oh and whats with Logans first name, Jimmy?! Jimmy Logan?!

That's James Logan to you Krudler. And come on mate, who cares about his name? Deadpool's called Wade for God's sake...

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 57
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 30/4/2009 6:12:08 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

*MAYBE SOME SPOILERS JUST IN CASE*

Perfectly enjoyable but didn't tell me much I didn't know already from the trailer  Jackman was good as always, whilst Schrieber was excellent.... good effects mostly (though the scene with Wolvy in the bathroom with claws, his claws looked like a cartoon ) and enjoyable summer fare... though I predict most things will top this....

My main niggle is they underused Reynolds a lot, he had one or two good scenes near the start, and then when he popped up again at the end he looked really cool and the fight scene was great, but I was looking forward to something similar to Hannibal King for at least a bit, the action and the one liners Plus Dominic Monaghan was very underused also...

3/5

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 58
RE: RE: - 30/4/2009 6:54:27 PM   
benmci

I saw the post credits scene set in Japan, did anyone get something different?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 59
RE: AS MUCH AS EXPECTED... - 30/4/2009 7:58:09 PM   
Film Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!
My main niggle is they underused Reynolds a lot, he had one or two good scenes near the start, and then when he popped up again at the end he looked really cool and the fight scene was great

Reynolds is only in it at the start. His stunt double Scott Aidkins is Weapon XI.

quote:

Batman and Robin?!? Hardly, mate. What were you smoking??

Nothing, thank you. But this was just neon lighting away from that movie. I really can't believe the franchise has fell this far. I side with Goodfella and krudler on this one.

My own full review here (I tried to avoid major spoilers): http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/articles/fb/6435-wolverine

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: I would like Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI