Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 11/11/2009 1:17:28 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: lilone
Maybe I'm just completely desensitized by watching the GOOD horror films.

So, what are the good horror films in your opinion?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to lilone)
Post #: 181
Okay film that is not scary - 15/11/2009 4:16:39 PM   
gzus

Raimi's definitely lost the twisted and inventive horror trademark that helped to create 'Evil Dead'. This is an improvement on films like 'Boogeyman', but it's too tongue in cheek and comical to be taken seriously, although the fact that the film does n't take itself too seriously plays to its strenghts along with a great performance by Lohman as the tortured Christine. She plays strong, ambitious and ever optimistic that she can defeat the dark curse bestilled upon her by a 'humiliated' gypsy woman, Mrs Ganush. A slight dig at the selfishness rooted in capitalist culture; Christine chooses self ambition over human decency, and therefore there are regrettable consequences.

The scene where Christine takes the kitchen knife to deal with the kitten is mischievous and the dialogue at boyfriend's (a mature Justin Long) parents house is wonderfully surreal and awkward. However, the film lacks few real scares and relies heavily on 'jumps' that eventually become lame and predictable right up until the end.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 182
Okay film that is not scary - 15/11/2009 4:16:40 PM   
gzus

Raimi's definitely lost the twisted and inventive horror trademark that helped to create 'Evil Dead'. This is an improvement on films like 'Boogeyman', but it's too tongue in cheek and comical to be taken seriously, although the fact that the film does n't take itself too seriously plays to its strenghts along with a great performance by Lohman as the tortured Christine. She plays strong, ambitious and ever optimistic that she can defeat the dark curse bestilled upon her by a 'humiliated' gypsy woman, Mrs Ganush. A slight dig at the selfishness rooted in capitalist culture; Christine chooses self ambition over human decency, and therefore there are regrettable consequences.

The scene where Christine takes the kitchen knife to deal with the kitten is mischievous and the dialogue at boyfriend's (a mature Justin Long) parents house is wonderfully surreal and awkward. However, the film lacks few real scares and relies heavily on 'jumps' that eventually become lame and predictable right up until the end.

Post #: 183
RE: Okay film that is not scary - 27/12/2009 5:48:51 PM   
bozo

In a word - genius! Inventive, scary, gory, playful, original, and as funny as hell. Released from his Spiderman prison, Raimi makes the film of his career.

(in reply to gzus)
Post #: 184
RE: Okay film that is not scary - 28/12/2009 10:39:29 PM   
jmsmith57

Any film that uses an anvil has my seal of approval

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 185
Blinkered fanboy praise . . . - 30/12/2009 9:57:38 PM   
Sambora

. . . can't cloud a garbage script that runs out of steam way before it's brief running time ends. Lohman is so poor it's a reminder why she's not been on the big screen in the last few years, while the film has about two scary moments. Ridiculously over rated love in for people who say 'groovy' a lot.

Post #: 186
drag me to hell - 5/1/2010 2:44:44 PM   
Empo

A new fresh movie that was original and scary! (Well is scared the crap out of me!) A film that i have bought and will defo watch over and over again! Sam Raimi is back in the genre that he is best at, comedy horror! Rock on Sam! xx

Post #: 187
horse shit - 12/1/2010 8:07:35 AM   
lusifer

just watched it and i think i wasted my $5 hire fee. predictable, sad acting, they killed a kitten? usually Raimi stuff is great but i think the budget was blown on special effects in this one. Raimi, go back to making classics with Bruce Campbell.
also, the empire critic who gave this 4 stars (excellent) should think about his/her job position.
horror movies don't need Christians reviewing horror movies.
i don't know if this person is christian or not, im just using that as a derogatory term

Post #: 188
Drag me to hell - 25/1/2010 10:45:03 PM   
lynnshep

Old school horror, little effects for the first hour, just noises and shadows but it works. The evil dead references are awesome. Nice ending.

Post #: 189
Drag me to Hell - 28/2/2010 11:04:27 PM   
eleninic

A film that successfuly combines some of the most important elements of the horror genre: good vs. evil, people playing with things that contact the supernatural, souls at risk, and last but not least...things being out of place!! Feelings of terror, and discomfort...especially early in the film, at the scene with the old lady and Christine in her car. I found that scene really annoying!! Nevertheless, it was a good film that evoked the feelings that a horror film should evoke like threat and fear!! The ending was a bit weird, but I have to admit, that it was unexpected!!

Post #: 190
A riot - 29/3/2010 1:16:45 AM   
tysmuse

The first 15 minutes are drab?? eh? This film rocks from start to finish. The car park sequence is so much fun and then after that is 90 minutes of Lohman getting covered in gore, slime, blood and mud. Great stuff. Not 'scary' scary but it has some fun shocks.

Post #: 191
Fun Horror! - 19/5/2010 12:34:26 AM   
krisjcummins

Raimi shows once again that he is a master of mixing suspense, black humour and gross-out horror to create his own brand of horror movie. Great fun!

Post #: 192
Far too silly - 13/8/2010 12:46:56 AM   
frankjackdaw

|Damn it, I accidentally gave this film five stars instead of one!  Grr! 

This film is far too silly to be scary, and at the same time far too silly to be funny either. It seems to be a string of supernatural cliches strung together with a collection of gross-out horror gags designed to make the 15-year-old fanboys chortle. Far too often, just when it should be scary or disturbing, it undercuts it with silliness and turns itself into a parody.

< Message edited by frankjackdaw -- 13/8/2010 12:47:49 AM >

Post #: 193
Drag Me To Hell - 15/2/2011 7:09:36 AM   
Tech_Noir

Watched the Blu Ray last night, thoroughly entertained, not perfect but good fun.

And I love Alison Lohman, she's like a better looking and more likeable version of Kirstin Dunst.

(in reply to frankjackdaw)
Post #: 194
RE: Far too silly - 15/2/2011 7:20:48 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankjackdaw

|Damn it, I accidentally gave this film five stars instead of one!  Grr! 

This film is far too silly to be scary, and at the same time far too silly to be funny either. It seems to be a string of supernatural cliches strung together with a collection of gross-out horror gags designed to make the 15-year-old fanboys chortle. Far too often, just when it should be scary or disturbing, it undercuts it with silliness and turns itself into a parody.

Moron.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to frankjackdaw)
Post #: 195
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 23/2/2011 11:18:14 AM   
pauljthomas

I thought, apart from the first 15 minutes, that this film was utter pants. You could tell the fate of the 'heroin' straight away & the dancing goat?what was that about. Avoid if you want to see a horror film that actually scares you.

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 196
Original???? - 24/5/2011 1:42:58 PM   
jem0013

Original? Are you kidding? This is a complete rip off of the classiest horror ever made - "Night Of The Demon".

Post #: 197
Utter Shit! - 24/5/2011 3:06:01 PM   
guysalisbury

Cant think of the last time I have seen such a heavily divided group of reviews though. This seems to be is a serious Marmite film. I personally though thought this was one of the worst films I have ever seen! It wasn't scary, it was laughable! And by that I dont mean it was black comedy funny because it certainly wasn't! It wasn't funny, it wasn't scary, the acting was awful and the story line was shit. So to sum up, this film is terrible. Avoid at all costs! If you want a decent horror film thats not supposed to scare the pants off you, watch 28 Days Later! Now thats a frickin Movie!

Post #: 198
- 25/8/2011 9:54:51 PM   
TheGodfather

Sam Raimi`s return to his roots, the horror genre, is a wonderfully extreme over the top flick. With the help of a whole bunch of great special effects and brilliant sound mix it has turned out to be a typical "Raimi horror", this time with the addition of wonderful scares. You do see them coming but they work every time, they are never cheap.
Excellent!

9,0/10

Post #: 199
Oh dear - 27/10/2011 7:53:24 PM   
markqpr2000

Sorry Empire, but whatever fu@kwit gave this review anything other than 1 star is an asshole anj prob just jumping on the Sam Raimi’s amazing boat. The only decent film he has done is The Evil Dead, which is 5 stars. This film is utter dog shit and thats an insult to dog shit.

Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI