Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Good fun!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Good fun! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good fun! - 5/6/2009 10:03:15 AM   
Hewesy

This looked like fun to make! Hilarious gross-out moments, good use of sound, it was scary, 'jumpy' and tense at times with some fun characters. Last 5 minutes were poor - but worth going to see.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
Just NOISE, nothing else - 5/6/2009 7:41:32 PM   
SpiderBat

go if you want your ear drums fried. I know it was meant to be a slapstick Sam Raimi joint, but his great old school movies were brimming with invention. There was nothing original here at all. I wasn't sure if the countless LOUD noises and jump shots were meant to be scary or some kind of piss-take. For anyone to call this movie scary, go watch The Mist pussies!

Post #: 122
Just NOISE, nothing else - 5/6/2009 7:41:33 PM   
SpiderBat

go if you want your ear drums fried. I know it was meant to be a slapstick Sam Raimi joint, but his great old school movies were brimming with invention. There was nothing original here at all. I wasn't sure if the countless LOUD noises and jump shots were meant to be scary or some kind of piss-take. For anyone to call this movie scary, go watch The Mist pussies!

Post #: 123
RE: Laughably bad! - 6/6/2009 1:47:34 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Seen this as well this evening. Hugely enjoyable and very very funny with a couple of crafty scares to boot (particularly her dream sequence, I nearly shat myself! ). It definitely had the look of a director discovering a new lease of life and I really digged it's nods to the first two Evil Dead films.

Definitely not for everyone as by judging a couple of reviews here people seemed to been confused by the tone and storyline. Anyone however with a sound appreciation of Raimi's directorial inventions in the Evil Dead Trilogy should really appreciate and enjoy this. Alongside the Mist, probably the best American horror (although like The Evil Dead, it's definitely more funny than frightening) of the noughties.

4/5

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 6/6/2009 1:48:55 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Tinypixie)
Post #: 124
A Solid Film - 6/6/2009 10:54:14 PM   
JoKeRJaMeZ

Just saw this, not a classic, but great fun, doesnt take itself too seriously. Entertaining, and made me jump a few times...

Post #: 125
What do people want!! - 7/6/2009 9:48:08 AM   
Paulicarz

Went to see this film with my wife and found it very entertaining! Typical Sam Raimi! As we were leaving though some teenagers near the back stood up and said "What a load of crap!" What do kids want these days?? this film has the jumps, the supernatural, some gore, slight action, a brilliant fight scene and a not so happy ending, ok its not the best horror in the world but im sure these teenagers wouldn't rate the best horror in the world anyway! i just dont get it! anyway we enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheesy jump out of your skin, slight comedic offering! oh and for a talking goat!

Post #: 126
Interesting premise... - 7/6/2009 8:11:49 PM   
Kev@CTU

...but failed to live up to it ***SPOILERS***
Why didnt we see the 'whatever-the-hell-was-supposed-to-come-for-her' on the 3rd day? it turned up as a pretty lame mist, then as a hoofed shadow then that was it?!
And how many time can you play the same jump-scare of the mangy old woman turning up?!
I was so bored watching this.... Avoid like the plague people, horror is officially dead.

Post #: 127
Raimi To Hell. - 8/6/2009 2:19:06 AM   
AutoBarn

Drag Me to Hell is deranged. Deliriously, exhilaratingly, deliciously deranged.

After two excellent Spider-Man movies which effortlessly re-calibrated what a super-hero movie could be, and a third effort that was a bloated exercise in big-budget compromise, he has returned to doing what he does best: cinematic bedlam of the highest order.

Alison Lohman plays Christine Brown, an ambitious bank clerk who does wrong by the most evil gypsy ever seen on film. And when I say ‘plays’, what I really mean is ‘suffers through more torture and indignation than any actress should ever have to.’

Cursed to hell, Christine is visited by one demonic assault after another as the clock ticks away to her enforced vacation to Hades. Her psychologist boyfriend (played by Justin Long) switches between disbelief and sympathy as his girl spits flies and is attacked by shadows, before finally coughing up the cash for a professional séance to negotiate an eleventh hour reprieve with the one who walks backwards.

The film is a marvel of bravura camerawork and ear-bleeding sound design – and manages to reel off scare after scare after scream after jump after nosebleed after eyeball after toothless mouth rape with a sly wit that will make you laugh until your diaphragm hurts. To say that things don’t work out for Christine would be putting it lightly, and Lohman deserves as much credit for her sinewy, humane performance as she does for making it to the end of the shoot with her life.

The one thing this schlock masterpiece isn’t is frightening – but then, it isn’t trying to be. By the time you have jumped out of your seat at the sight of a fucking handkerchief, you know these are cheap shocks; but damn, they’re effective.

Raimi is better off leaving the spine-tingling to the likes of Kubrick, Friedkin and Nakata – his talent lies in creating a humming engine of evil, designed to thrill – but to leave n

Post #: 128
Horror? lol - 8/6/2009 10:19:21 AM   
rjdjones

Went to see this yesterday and found myself laughing through most of it. The story has been done so many times before (but come on, an eternity in hell just for not giving the old cow one more extension on her loan - just a tad excessive, don't you think?) and it relies almost exclusively on shock appearances by the old woman, but this was more than enough to scare my girlfriend. I'm just really surprised that no-one has mentioned how the bank woman seems to spend most of the time with disgusting things in her mouth, most of them pouring out of the old woman's mouth into hers. Definitely disgusting. So, I'd recommend you don't get the salsa dip and chips if you go to see this film :)

Post #: 129
RE: Horror? lol - 8/6/2009 2:20:22 PM   
oldboyuk

I wrote a quick review on it yesterday (my first film review so be kind )

My main quarry with the film is, why did the gypsy woman put some crazy assed curse on the girl, when she could just use her gypsy magic to conjure up a bit of gypsy gold to pay for her house?

Check out my review here, if you get a chance to gimme some feedback that would awesome

http://everything-film.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rjdjones)
Post #: 130
Laugh me to Hell !!!!...... - 8/6/2009 9:00:48 PM   
n13roy

Well, you just have to see the funny side of this Film, anyone expecting to be frightened, is in for a shock. Totaly ridiculous, and I can't remember the last time I came out of a Cinema laughing so much, after seeing a " horror " movie !!!!!.......

Post #: 131
Laugh me to Hell !!!!...... - 8/6/2009 9:00:52 PM   
n13roy

Well, you just have to see the funny side of this Film, anyone expecting to be frightened, is in for a shock. Totaly ridiculous, and I can't remember the last time I came out of a Cinema laughing so much, after seeing a " horror " movie !!!!!.......

Post #: 132
RE: Laugh me to Hell !!!!...... - 9/6/2009 1:15:17 PM   
broonie

Seen this last night, thought it was great fun. Great jump in your seat moments, f***ing hilarious at some points (the fight in the car, the goat), overall a great returm to horror-comdey from Sam Raimi. Not even close to being as scary as The Mist, but i dont think that was Raimi's intentions anyway. 4/5

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to n13roy)
Post #: 133
GOOD FUN - 9/6/2009 7:07:10 PM   
CIRVIRUS64

Can't help but feel that this was all a little bit hyped up and overrated. Sure, it's all good fun but an opportunity missed in my eyes for a fuckin' good horror movie. For me, it falls into the Tormented bracket of can't make it's mind up whether it's supposed to be funny or frightening? And as a result, I just coudn't take it seriously and just came out feeling baffled?

Post #: 134
RE: Best Brawl - 9/6/2009 8:43:21 PM   
Lang

The fight between Christine and Mrs Ganush was brilliant miles better than John Connor v T-800.

As someone posted earlier "The Goat" was hileriously brief which made it even  more funny.

and whoever thought a hanky? could get so many people to jump

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to CIRVIRUS64)
Post #: 135
Response to some twat. - 11/6/2009 4:04:44 PM   
alexhurst25

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexhurst25

I cant believe the positive reviews for this film. They must be showing two versions that are 100% different from each other. Either that or you people are very easily entertained.

Every single post of yours has been negative. It's getting old. Fast.

I was going to post something along the same lines, you beat me to it.

Yes - my posts have been negative. The reason, is because I am irritated by poor films getting decent ratings. I dont care if your getting tired of it or not - your probably part of the problem - bigging up crap films, so that people like me occasionaly let their guard down and have to sit through crap like drag me to hell. Its clear to me from the commentary on here, that to enjoy this film, you need to be either a fan of Raimi, or be able to laugh and slap stick. It would be refreshing if reviewers, professional or otherwise, were smart enough to rise above their own appreciation of a director, and review things on the stand alone merits of the film. If that were applied to drag me to hell what would you have left ? Unscary / Unfunny / Boring / Painfully loud. Im not negative about all films I swear ! I think someone mentioned the mist - I think that was from 2007 or 2008 ? I watched that the other day and was engrossed. It was not perfect, and yes it borrowed but it did it very well. That was a lucky unhyped discovery.

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 136
RE: RE: - 11/6/2009 7:50:14 PM   
wgamador

quote:

Has the whole world gone mad ? This film was appalling and people are falling over themselves to praise Sam Raimi's tosh. Why ? The performances were reminiscent of Natalie Portman in Star Wars, the dialogue wince inducingly bad. The set-up in the bank…..pitiful. A five your old could have devised a more realistic set-up regarding a banking promotion. As for actual frights, making very loud and sudden noises isn't particularly chilling - it just makes you jump. Perhaps it was meant to be funny ? I'm afraid not. Watching an actress who couldn’t convey terror it she was actually being threatened by a demon, whilst splattering her repeatedly with various fluids isn't really funny is it ? Even the sets irritated me frankly, and then there were the rips offs from far better films - A nightmare on Elm Street where Tina is flung about her bedroom for one, then the end of Poltergeist where the mother sinks below a grave filled with water. God what an awful film, but made so much worse by the ass kissing critics. How do people like Raimi keep getting away with it ? I suppose because his recent trilogy (dull man) raked in so much cash which feeds the industry. Mr Raimi, Id really like my money back please because that was 90 minutes of hell I didn’t need to be dragged through.

How about that stupid anvil scene.......i know it was for comedic effect but it was cheap and an insult to my film intellect.

I agree. I watched this after work. It was a 5:30 matineee. No one was in the theatre. I had the whole damn place to myself. I even snuck in some hits from my weed bowl. LOL.
Anyways. I have to agree with the above. I thought the movie sucked.
Myabe it was me or the theatre but god damn the movie is EXTREMELY LOUD. I mimicked the scenes where the characters are holding thier ears due to the noises.
I found myself saying, this is bullshit. This shit film relies on the LOUD NOISES for scares.

As an aspiring screenwriter, the payoff with the : WARNING SPOILER : The button and coin in the envelopes was a real shitty set up. As soon as she puts the button in the envelope, i knew what was coming.

Anyhow Im certainly not going to kiss Sam Raimi's ass. Fuck him, he wrote a shitty film.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 11/6/2009 8:08:14 PM >

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to alexhurst25)
Post #: 137
RE: Response to some twat. - 11/6/2009 8:36:00 PM   
wgamador

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

I cant believe the positive reviews for this film. They must be showing two versions that are 100% different from each other. Either that or you people are very easily entertained.

Every single post of yours has been negative. It's getting old. Fast.

I was going to post something along the same lines, you beat me to it.

Yes - my posts have been negative. The reason, is because I am irritated by poor films getting decent ratings. I dont care if your getting tired of it or not - your probably part of the problem - bigging up crap films, so that people like me occasionaly let their guard down and have to sit through crap like drag me to hell. Its clear to me from the commentary on here, that to enjoy this film, you need to be either a fan of Raimi, or be able to laugh and slap stick. It would be refreshing if reviewers, professional or otherwise, were smart enough to rise above their own appreciation of a director, and review things on the stand alone merits of the film. If that were applied to drag me to hell what would you have left ? Unscary / Unfunny / Boring / Painfully loud. Im not negative about all films I swear ! I think someone mentioned the mist - I think that was from 2007 or 2008 ? I watched that the other day and was engrossed. It was not perfect, and yes it borrowed but it did it very well. That was a lucky unhyped discovery.

This is a poor film, unless you are 12-15 years old and this is your first horror film experience. Anybody not named RAIMI would have made this film exactly the same way, it would be getting ripped. Its times like these that i regret not watching The Orphanage and The Ring on the big screen. Instead I had to sit through this.

AND the professional critics....giving it an average of B+ !
Holy shit it is unbeliveable. Certainly they got paid to say it was good. It fucking sucks.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 11/6/2009 8:59:26 PM >

(in reply to alexhurst25)
Post #: 138
RE: Raimi To Hell. - 11/6/2009 8:41:01 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: AutoBarn

The film is a marvel of bravura camerawork and ear-bleeding sound design – and manages to reel off scare after scare after scream after jump after nosebleed after eyeball after toothless mouth rape with a sly wit that will make you laugh until your diaphragm hurts.

Ear bleeding sound design ? Its the only way the filmmaker would guranatee "jump" moments. Trust me. Every fucking object that moves makes a loud noise and half the time it doesnt mean shit. Like a scarf in the wind. The loudest piece of cloth I have ever seen in a film. Oh it was the spirit of the evil......okay, what about other scenes when the film is LOUD just for the heck of it.

Come to think of it.....its no wonder at 5:30pm matinee, i was the only asshole in the cinema.

(in reply to AutoBarn)
Post #: 139
RE: Horror? lol - 11/6/2009 9:07:54 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjdjones

Went to see this yesterday and found myself laughing through most of it. The story has been done so many times before (but come on, an eternity in hell just for not giving the old cow one more extension on her loan - just a tad excessive, don't you think?)

That is testament to how poorly the storyline really is and how the whole thing was just thrown together.

Just like 'A Haunting in Connecticut', sat at the theatre saying when is this going to end. I now how it will end. I was hoping i was wrong. I said, come on Raimi throw a twist in it. Let Justin be the little boy in the opening scene with the Mexican women.

The end scene was so cheap and god damn cheesy.

(in reply to rjdjones)
Post #: 140
HeHell - 11/6/2009 9:32:21 PM   
durelius

loved it just the kind of thing you would expect from a Sam Raimi horror film, odd, weird, really really weird and then there was the Goat a couple of moments that made you go uughhff, gums anyone.
The unbelievable bit for me during the film had to be the couple that left with about 2 minutes to go, what are you fucking slow ! it's a horror film anything can happen, anything has happened with about 20mins to go you knew it wasn't going to end the way they were playing it, schmucks are going to feel real dumb next time they speak to a friend who's seen the film and they say yeah and the ending made me laugh or wasn't the ending a shock, and they'll be like what, eh happy ending ? Fuckwits ! you pay your money the film ain't over till the credits role.

Post #: 141
RE: Raimi is king! - 13/6/2009 11:37:07 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Dvd 1988

Its my opinion that its the best horror in the last 10 years cant believe everyone getting so touchy about it. I dont go regularly to see horror (cause most of it is crap) or even musical films in the cinema maybe that explains it

DavidDVD!! Woooooo!!
Im glad you liked it. Someone has to.
I think that once you give it the moniker of Best Horror in ten years....its going to turn heads thats all.

I thought it was shit honestly and I always look for things to like. I thought it was disappointing thats all. I mean, so was  A Haunting In Connectitut. Although if i HAD to watch one again, id have to chose Drag Me to Hell.

(in reply to David Dvd 1988)
Post #: 142
RE: Raimi is king! - 13/6/2009 11:38:47 PM   
Olaf

Gee Wags, you really hate this movie. Perhaps you should avoid a thread where everyone is giving it good reviews.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 143
RE: Raimi is king! - 15/6/2009 2:41:58 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Gee Wags, you really hate this movie. Perhaps you should avoid a thread where everyone is giving it good reviews.

No that is not going to stop me.
Im not insulting anyone or calling anyone dumb for liking it. I thought it was very noisy crap and im learning im not the only one. Honestly my problem is that i went to see it while im smack in the middle of a script challenge, so my mind is totally thinking like a writer and in my script, I have to come up with quality 'set-ups' , 'payoffs' and 'twists'.......the end to Drag Me To Hell was not great. I mean, did you really think she : SPOILER: (if you wanna call it that) had the BUTTON in that envelope at the end? Especially when they show Justin Longs character put the coin in the envelope and put it in his brown leather attache, the same one that goes flying in the car that enables the "SWITCH" in envelopes

Im passionate about hating this movie because, this is my fave genre (horror) and felt that this was a rushed job and amateurish. Sure teh visiuals wre decent. Sure teh old lady was good, sure the set designs were awesome. But thats all.

But anyways.....
Shiittt....I liked Miracle at St. Anna and most critics and viewers didnt like it. That dont mean a thing to me. No matter what someone online says negatively about it. SO just look at that way, Mr. Olaf. Im glad you liked it. You spent your money wisely. Me, i couldve seen Terminator Salvation instead.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 144
RE: Raimi is king! - 17/6/2009 3:37:24 PM   
sowasred2012

I'm surprised this is getting a slating in here if I'm honest - saw it last night and had the bejeezus scared out of me and I fuckin' loved it for doing so.

As far as I'm concerned Drag Me To Hell is up there with Cloverfield as more of a theme-park ride (*refrains from using the term 'rollercoaster-ride' in connection with a movie, DAMN YOU PAUL ROSS!*) than a movie - the story, plot, characters, all that shit, are almost incidental to the experience of being scared shitless repeatedly, which is what you ought primarily to be going for. Comparing it to The Mist is a little unfair since, with that film, you're meant to invest in the characters and be horrified when shit happens to them - but with Drag Me To Hell, Raimi isn't interested in building characters, he's interested in making YOU shit your pants.

Poor people are crazy, Jack. I'm eccentric.

http://www.srmason.co.uk/blog/
http://www.twitter.com/sowasred2012

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 145
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 17/6/2009 9:24:31 PM   
Dr Funkenstein

I jjust went to see drag me to hell and i can honestly say i have never jumped so many times at a film in my entire life! It was great but one thing that bothers me is the floating dancing posessed guy at the céance. overall i loved it what a film i recocmend it to all horror/fil lovers!

Save A Cow Eat A Vegan (Y)

Post #: 146
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 19/6/2009 11:25:54 AM   
Frank Castle

I seriously cant believe people were actually scared in this film!! Dont get me wrong i had a blast watching it but it was a comedy not horror in the slightist. Raimi can do these gross out comedy movies great to see him go back to his roots after the crap he got for spiderman 3.

The evil dead films arnt scary either!! Just great gross out comedy flicks.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Dr Funkenstein)
Post #: 147
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 19/6/2009 5:59:57 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

I seriously cant believe people were actually scared in this film!! Dont get me wrong i had a blast watching it but it was a comedy not horror in the slightist. Raimi can do these gross out comedy movies great to see him go back to his roots after the crap he got for spiderman 3.

The evil dead films arnt scary either!! Just great gross out comedy flicks.

As i said earlier.......how could you NOT jump when the volume is at level 15 ?

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 148
- 22/6/2009 1:20:50 PM   
Muse_Manic

Seen this Saturday night, was looking forward to it, but came out feeling slightly disapointed.

I think its mainly down to the fact I expected something else, the movie starts off good, it made me jump, which is great cause there hasnt been a horror movie thats done that to me in ages, but it didnt scare me and well half way through, became more of a comedy than a 'horror'.

I died with laughter at the talking goat, it had my sense of humour, so it did make me laugh, but the movie overall jus confused me as to what it was I was actually watching...ill give it 3 stars purely for the humour.

Post #: 149
RE: - 22/6/2009 11:28:38 PM   
MartyW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muse_Manic

Seen this Saturday night, was looking forward to it, but came out feeling slightly disapointed.

I think its mainly down to the fact I expected something else, the movie starts off good, it made me jump, which is great cause there hasnt been a horror movie thats done that to me in ages, but it didnt scare me and well half way through, became more of a comedy than a 'horror'.

I died with laughter at the talking goat, it had my sense of humour, so it did make me laugh, but the movie overall jus confused me as to what it was I was actually watching...ill give it 3 stars purely for the humour.

But can you actually categorise a film like this though as just a pure 'horror'. Certainly not. I thought it was a fantastic mix of comedy, romance, horror and gore...

(in reply to Muse_Manic)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Good fun! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI