Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Drag Me To Hell

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Drag Me To Hell Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Drag Me To Hell - 23/4/2009 10:27:46 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 10:27:46 AM   
Oriainarama

Review reads like an obsessed Raimi fan who can't say a bad word about him. However haven't seen the film so it may be worthy of its 4 stars.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 10:39:19 AM   
elab49

It sounds fun. It also kind of sounds like an extended epi of Supernatural

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Oriainarama)
Post #: 3
RE: Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 10:41:08 AM   
Jasper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oriainarama

Review reads like an obsessed Raimi fan who can't say a bad word about him.

That's not fair. Empire's known for professional integrity -- if there was a Raimi obsessive in their midst, that person would be the last to review Drag Me To Hell.

"Some people will offer you their hand and some won't

Last night I knew ya, tonight I don't

I need something strong, to distract my mind

I'm gonna look at you, till my eyes go blind"

Post #: 4
RE: Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 2:49:10 PM   
Oriainarama

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oriainarama

Review reads like an obsessed Raimi fan who can't say a bad word about him.

That's not fair. Empire's known for professional integrity -- if there was a Raimi obsessive in their midst, that person would be the last to review Drag Me To Hell.

There's too much mention of Raimi and his past films, and not enough review of the actual film. Why can't they just say if you liked Evil Dead you'll love this or say "A film by Raimi who directed ......." instead there's constant referencing of past films and not a lot of talk about the actual film in question. It should be reviewed as a stand alone film not "how Raimi got his groove back"

'You put a finger to my lips and then you kissed me once and once again
The crickets all leapt up and met the moon with a standing ovation'

LAST 5 FILMS
Butterfly Effect 2.5/5
The Proposal 2.5/5
Terminator 2 5/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Bruno 3/5

(in reply to Jasper)
Post #: 5
RE: Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 3:13:19 PM   
general_potatoface

I see no reason why a Raimi fan shouldn't review this. Surely a good knowledge of a director's previous output informing a review is a good thing?

< Message edited by general_potatoface -- 23/4/2009 3:18:55 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 3:17:57 PM   
Oriainarama

I didn't realise it was a blog entry and not an official review. I take back everything i said makes a hell of a lot more sense as a blog entry!

LAST 5 FILMS
Butterfly Effect 2.5/5
The Proposal 2.5/5
Terminator 2 5/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Bruno 3/5

(in reply to general_potatoface)
Post #: 7
RE: Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 3:22:17 PM   
general_potatoface

Actually I believe this is the review here, but I was confused on the point seeing as how there was a blog entry on the film a little while ago.

Post #: 8
RE: Love Letter to Raimi - 23/4/2009 3:27:46 PM   
Oriainarama

quote:

ORIGINAL: general_potatoface

Actually I believe this is the review here, but I was confused on the point seeing as how there was a blog entry on the film a little while ago.

Well then we're back where we started and I still think the actual film isn't reviewed enough, although i'll still probably go see it and probably like it so I'm just complaining about nothing really but the review still seems like its written with Raimi tinted glasses on.

LAST 5 FILMS
Butterfly Effect 2.5/5
The Proposal 2.5/5
Terminator 2 5/5
Hot Fuzz 4/5
Bruno 3/5

(in reply to general_potatoface)
Post #: 9
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 30/4/2009 11:02:23 PM   
Kazuya

Good. I was going to see this film regardless, but I'm pleased that reviews have generally been most favorable. I fucking love Raimi's demented style when he gets to cut loose,jumps, scares, laughs and buckets of blood. Looking forward to seeing it. Good review too.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 10
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 1/5/2009 12:19:35 PM   
CORLEONE

Saw the trailer before Wolverine and it had plenty of quotes from various etc, all positive, one saying it's the best horror of the past 10 years. Looking forward. 

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 11
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 1/5/2009 12:31:45 PM   
Marvel_79

Saw the trailer before Crank 2, and this looked scary as hell, the one before Wolverine was watered down I guess because of the 12A certificate of wolverine

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 12
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 24/5/2009 4:58:10 PM   
losthighway

My serious scepticism about all the Raimi loving and too good to be true reviews (Masterpiece!!!! Scariest film of the last decade!!!!) aside... i'm starting to think I might actually go to see this on Wednesday and see for myself. I just have real doubts about how great it can be after the trailer I saw made it look fucking awful and far from scary (not helped by that 15 certificate either imho). If it is on a par with his previous Evil Dead films, then I just pray it's closer to the first two than the quite frankly dire third installment...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Marvel_79)
Post #: 13
I'm looking forward to it BUT... - 25/5/2009 6:38:42 AM   
theris108

...just one quick thing. Going purely on what the - admittedly quite exciting - trailer showed us, it seems that something's amiss with the film's premise. A mortgage-lender - one of the people responsible for the past half-year's s**tstorm of redundancies and crunches of the credit variety - actually does the RIGHT THING and refuses to grant someone - old person or not - an extension when they quite clearly will never be able to pay it back: the gypsy curse-monger has already had two extensions and most probably doesn't have a steady income, dressing as she does like a certain character from Great Expectations. And then the right-thinking mortgage lady gets PUNISHED for this!? Right. So basically Mr. Raimi's asking us to question whether we'd prefer to a) lose our jobs and eventually end up with suitcases of money worth less than the paper it's printed on, or b) get persecuted by some demonic Crazy Cat-Lady, probably smelling of wee, before being sucked into Pandaemonium where Lucifer and all his merry imps are sharpening their pitchforks in gleeful expectancy. Brilliant. Win-win.

Griping aside, I'm going to be first in line on Wednesday. GOOD horror films have been thin on the ground as of late - exceptions: Eden Lake, [.REC], Hannah Montana: The Movie - and I'm hoping Captain Sam 'Olds-choolscares-mobile' Raimi can deliver again what he once did oh-so-brilliantly. :) smiley face smiley face

Post #: 14
- 27/5/2009 12:19:41 PM   
odddaze

Saw this movie last night, the best and scarriest American horror movie I've seen in years, it was thouroughly entertaining through out, I loved it, completely loved it.

Post #: 15
SUPERB return to horror for Sam Raimi. - 27/5/2009 1:48:32 PM   
one martian

What can I say about this film except AWESOME! Sam Raimi returns to the horror genre with a BANG! this is by far his best film since Evil Dead 2. He has hit a perfect balance between scares and laughs, just like he did with ED 2. This film feels very much like a cousin of the ED trilogy. I haven't been so tense watching a film in a long time, there are some seriously scary moments in this film, then some genuinely funny ones, in true Raimi fashion. It's brilliantly shot, paced and acted! I for one will never p**s off a gypsy, you can count on that! I'll be honest and say I did expect it to be a bit more "insane" from all the over the top reviews I'd read, but I don't know if my heart would have lasted the full 99 minutes if it had been. Poor Alison Lohman's character, she really doesn't deserve the horror she endures in this film, she really is a sweet, kind woman. Which makes it all the more insane when she starts to suffer at the hand of the evil Lahmia (spelling????) that comes for her soul! I did see the "twist" coming a mile off though, and everyone goes on about the "stella" ending, I found it a bit weak considering, but I guess it was only meant to be a "1 last scare" thing, when I wanted mayhem! LOL. Either way, I cannot wait to see it again, without expectations, as I believe I will truly fall in love with this film when I do! Raimi is the man once more, and shows Hollywood just how to make a fun horror movie! Make sure you all head out and watch this, take friends, it will be a great ride in a full screen with your mates!

Post #: 16
- 27/5/2009 4:52:32 PM   
naveed

I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. A really enjoyable horror movie which is a rarity in it's self. Highly recommended. At this rate Spider-Man 4 is going to be a must.

Post #: 17
RE: - 27/5/2009 6:13:56 PM   
Wilbert

Saw this today. Good fun. Some pretty disgusting and hilarious moments but it isn't a film I could imagine bothering to watch again. Very disposable.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to naveed)
Post #: 18
RE: - 27/5/2009 6:15:26 PM   
Wilbert

DELETED - double post.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to naveed)
Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 27/5/2009 7:45:10 PM   
Ethanial

Very funny, lots of jumps but also lots of genuine tension mounting, few films get that right.
Ending was great, very much a moral grey area.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 20
- 27/5/2009 7:49:32 PM   
anthrax_junkie

CLASSIC RAIMI!!!!!!

Post #: 21
- 27/5/2009 7:49:33 PM   
anthrax_junkie

CLASSIC RAIMI!!!!!!

Post #: 22
RE: - 27/5/2009 9:06:16 PM   
PerfectlyFlawed

Saw this a couple of days ago and really enjoyed it. Paced just right with plenty of scarey moments mixed with some real laughs.

Only downside I'd say really is thats it's a watch once movie.

(in reply to anthrax_junkie)
Post #: 23
Drag Me To Hell - 27/5/2009 9:55:52 PM   
Indio

I thought it was good fun but not quite the spectacular experience its been made out to be, I thought the prologue was excellent but the rest of the film didn't really deliver on its promise, and plotwise Night Of The Demon did the same sort of story a lot better 50 years back.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to PerfectlyFlawed)
Post #: 24
RE: Drag Me To Hell - 27/5/2009 10:02:32 PM   
losthighway

My mate and I were due to watch this today but didn't manage it, so it will be interesting to read some of the reviews coming through now before I go and see it, i.e. is it as good as those reviews have said or is it all just a lot of hype!???

Just one thing though, please no spoilers (or at least signpost them well!!!)

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 25
Oh dear, Mr Raimi... - 27/5/2009 10:34:43 PM   
theris108

Why ruin a perfectly good film with one tired old trick? OK, so while the film wasn't really SCARY. It relied far too much on 30-degree camera tilts for "what's-at-the-door? tension-building" and fairly predictable jump-moments (which admittedly seemed to serve their purpose for the teenage girls in the audience). What WAS classic Raimi was the often quite grotesque marriage of gore and humour, and all the better for it! The homage to a certain Looney-Tunes character with a penchant for ACME props was Raimi at his preposterous, bile-raising best.
BUT. Why, in the name of all that is unholy, tell us the end of the film twenty minutes early, and then expect us to be surprised? Too many films employ what I call the "Ta-daaaa!" moment, where the camera lingers for a single second on (or worst, directly cuts to) an utterly insignificant object or occurrence, thereby guaranteeing its vital significance to the outcome of the story. Don't TELL us there's going to be a twist, let alone what it is! At the very least, show us in flashback, once the twist has been revealed.
By buying into this frustrating technique, Raimi lost all my good-will. Once I knew how the film would conclude, the only thing which kept me in my seat was being sat in the centre of a full row of seats.
A fairly good - if not exactly spine-chilling - horror film marred by one clunker of a plot device. And I was SO looking forward to it too...

Post #: 26
She's cute as a button... funny you should mention buttons - 27/5/2009 10:57:44 PM   
cluesy

Very good film, much better than Spidey 3. Alison Lohman is pretty respectable even playing what is essentially a screaming role. Justin Long, as always, is a reliable support and the action, shocks and jokes all hit the right spots. I particularly liked the nod to Evil Dead II with the laughing tea cup.

Post #: 27
- 27/5/2009 11:45:58 PM   
Bubba76

Scary, funny, gruesome! Awesome!

Post #: 28
RE: I'm looking forward to it BUT... - 28/5/2009 12:29:01 AM   
Film Brain

quote:

ORIGINAL: theris108

...just one quick thing. Going purely on what the - admittedly quite exciting - trailer showed us, it seems that something's amiss with the film's premise. A mortgage-lender - one of the people responsible for the past half-year's s**tstorm of redundancies and crunches of the credit variety - actually does the RIGHT THING and refuses to grant someone - old person or not - an extension when they quite clearly will never be able to pay it back: the gypsy curse-monger has already had two extensions and most probably doesn't have a steady income, dressing as she does like a certain character from Great Expectations. And then the right-thinking mortgage lady gets PUNISHED for this!? Right. So basically Mr. Raimi's asking us to question whether we'd prefer to a) lose our jobs and eventually end up with suitcases of money worth less than the paper it's printed on, or b) get persecuted by some demonic Crazy Cat-Lady, probably smelling of wee, before being sucked into Pandaemonium where Lucifer and all his merry imps are sharpening their pitchforks in gleeful expectancy. Brilliant. Win-win.

It goes further in the film itself (WARNING - ENDING SPOILERS): And that is why the ending doesn't sit right with me. Raimi claims its a tale about greed, so thus her final fate is a punishment. For what, exactly? Yes, she wanted that position, but she made the right choice in the first place. And she certainly wasn't corrupted enough for the ending to work. She killed a kitten and dug up a grave, both under desperate circumstances. Remember also she had the chance to give the 'button' to Stu, the royal slimebag who had undermined her the entire film, and she didn't, showing compassion. Yet she gets punished in the end. So morally the ending is completely dubious.

Very good film up until the ending.

< Message edited by Film Brain -- 28/5/2009 12:32:46 AM >

(in reply to theris108)
Post #: 29
HELL, MORE LIKE HEAVEN!!! - 28/5/2009 12:32:10 AM   
retranimator

GOOD DAMM THIS FILM WAS GOOD.
I SAW IT WITH A VERY BIG CROWD AND THEY WERE GOING NUTS FOR THIS FILM!
THE ONLY THING MISSING FROM THIS SAM RAIMI EPIC WAS A BRUCE CAMPBELL CAMEO WICH WAS A SHAME BUT APART FROM THAT IT ONE OF THE BEST HORROR FILMS I HAVE SEEN IN YARS.
I HOPE LIONSGATE RELEASE THIS IN 7.1 ON BLU RAY AS THE SOUND WAS DEFFINING AND FANTASTIC!!!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Drag Me To Hell Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI