Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 3/11/2009 9:41:48 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

A review of a rough cut of the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street is now online at Ain't It Cool. The overall reaction is mixed, good points and bad points.

I despise Harry Knowles & AICN so wouldn't read even if it was a glowing review!

Watched Dream Warriors the other night. Enjoyed it. Some good one liners from Freddy and a few scary scenes too....

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 151
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 6/5/2010 7:24:30 PM   
paul.mccluskey

So who has seen the remake, or who is going to see it this weekend?

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 152
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 6/5/2010 8:05:23 PM   
HughesRoss

I have seen it.......review on my horror thread......

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 153
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 8/5/2010 6:42:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

Ok, so it is technically better than some of the old movies, but I hated the remake. A bankrupt vision, making product with no skill or thoughfulness.

Haley was alright - but the makeup restricted him. And as for the CGI...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 154
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 10/5/2010 8:00:17 AM   
grucl

For anyone interested in the Freddy franchise.

There is a DVD out called "Never sleep again". On it is a 4 hour (yes, you read that right!) documentary about the first 7 films.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 155
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 10/5/2010 9:49:17 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

There is a DVD out called "Never sleep again". On it is a 4 hour (yes, you read that right!) documentary about the first 7 films.

I mentioned this one elsewhere - I've pre-ordered it - looks very interesting and has already recieved a 5/5 review at Bloody Disgusting. On another Freddy-note, I watched the NOES remake on Saturday - Robert Englund IS and always will be Freddy Krueger.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 156
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 10/5/2010 12:55:50 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

I mentioned this one elsewhere - I've pre-ordered it - looks very interesting and has already recieved a 5/5 review at Bloody Disgusting. On another Freddy-note, I watched the NOES remake on Saturday - Robert Englund IS and always will be Freddy Krueger.

That is the big problem of the remake Snake.......Freddy never wears a mask so Robert is and always will be Freddy to us fans, and the main gripe I have is that Jackie is just a clone...brings nothing new, and all this "he brings Freddy back to darkness" is bollocks.  If you want to see a dark Freddy at his best, then watch New Nightmare.......

I stand by my review of the new film, its not the disaster on an epic scale like Friday, but its still utterly pointless...

Thanks for the heads up for that Doco on the series, I am going to order that staright away

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 157
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 11/5/2010 8:35:38 AM   
Dr Lenera

Another day, another dollar, and another pointless and inferior horror remake.  In theory there shouldn't be anything wrong with remakes, and indeed a remake of A Nightmare On Elm Street, especially when Freddy Krueger is considered by some to be a classic bogeyman just like Dracula and Frankenstein, and how often have they been remade?  There's great potential for a really inventive remake, taking advantage of all the effects one can do in film now-just think what somebody like Guillermo Del Toro could do with the concept?  However, this isn't it.  It's just a lame rehash of the original movie, with certain bits recreated [the body in the bag, the glove in the bath] but never as well, and other references fans will recognise such as a dialogue sequence near the end where three lines from earlier films are reused- the first, fourth and eight films-which will probably just make people wish they were watchign one of those movies.  Despite the terrifying concept [don't go to sleep or you'll die!]there's little fear and suspense in this version with just a series of jump scares in their place, it's incredibly unimaginative especially during the very samey dream sequences, and even the killings are dull.   The paedophile hints of the original are rather distastefully made more obvious, but nothing else is really new and it has exactly the same look of all the Platimum Dunes films with lots of green and brown, this was interesting for their first movie The Texas Chainsaw Masacre but is just getting tedious.   Jackie Earl Haley is ok as Freddy with a menacing voice, but you never get the sense that you got with Robert Englund's Freddy that he enjoyed the toying with his victims as much as the killing.  This is much like the Friday remake really -just about watchable but it feels like they didn't really try very hard.
4/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 158
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 13/5/2010 9:16:04 AM   
MarcE

I watched them all whilst I was still at primary school (this was after years of pestering my Dad and a final lecture on being burnt before he finally caved in!) I saw them all in sequence and after about 3 years of nagging the first wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had envsioned! For me it was more of a suspense horror, although for the year it was very original and back then Freddy was more sinister. I then saw Freddy's Revenge, the acting wasn't a patch on the first, Robert Englund was fine, it was the supporting cast who let the film down for me. The storyline I liked, the opening bus scene sets the mood brilliantly, and Freddy taking over Jessie to kill the kids was genious. Having said all that the film as a whole was just tacky, cheap and a real let down. At one point Dream Warriors was my favourite of the series, I loved how these kids had dream powers, and the little girl was quite eriee. I'm glad they brought Nancy back too and the development of Krueger's past was interesting. I had good memories of Dream Master until I saw it for a second time, suddenly all these kids powers are useless against Freddy and were discarded far too quickly. The replacement children (Just how many children live down this street!) were poor in comparison. This for me was where the film started to get silly, heads on pizzas! Dream Child I remember being a little bit better, although I spent the best part of 2 hours waiting for Freddy's love child to be born and saved! Freddy's Dead I remember being one of the best, he seemed at his most powerful in this. The 3D was a let down, but interesting all the same! I liked the idea of New Nightmare, it was just a shame it was toned down and given a 15 certificate. I know its not a proper film in the series (officially anyway) But I really liked Freddy 'vs' Jason, it felt more like a true sequel to Dream Warriors, and the ending of Jason carrying Freddy's head across the lake was very iconic.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 159
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 17/6/2010 8:20:39 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Just finished watching this epic documentary - AWESOME! This really makes up for the lack of extras on the NIGHTMARE COLLECTION box set (which I bought when it was first released). Pretty much every key cast & crew member is interviewed (except of course Depp, Arquette or Fishburne, who strangely enough is not even mentioned). It's a much better put together doc than the previous HIS NAME WAS JASON. Highly recommended.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 17/6/2010 8:21:22 AM >

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 160
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 4/7/2010 7:47:07 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Why don't Horror Film Posters feature beautiful art like this any more...?

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 161
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 9/12/2010 6:06:01 PM   
Snake-Eyes

"Wanna suck face?"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 162
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 26/12/2010 5:28:25 PM   
losthighway

quote:

Just finished watching this epic documentary - AWESOME! This really makes up for the lack of extras on the NIGHTMARE COLLECTION box set (which I bought when it was first released). Pretty much every key cast & crew member is interviewed (except of course Depp, Arquette or Fishburne, who strangely enough is not even mentioned). It's a much better put together doc than the previous HIS NAME WAS JASON. Highly recommended.

Not been on this thread for ages!! Being a completist I bought the Elm Street remake on blu-ray (despite it being awful), and I also own this documentary. I ordered it from the official website so it came with a poster of the DVD cover artwork signed by Heather Langenkamp

< Message edited by losthighway -- 26/12/2010 5:29:42 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 163
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 26/12/2010 5:47:01 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

I ordered it from the official website so it came with a poster of the DVD cover artwork signed by Heather Langenkamp

Dammit! I shoulda ordered it from the website! That is indeed a cool poster - sorta captures the spirit of the poster art from the first two films. As I've said before - this is a Fantastic Doc and a must have for all true Freddy Fans.

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 164
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 31/12/2010 9:33:27 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm due a viewing of FREDDY VS. JASON! I really enjoyed this film - it did exactly what it said on the tin whilst at the same time respecting the mythologies of both characters, director Ronny Yu delivered a kick-ass adventure that had fun kills and sufficient amounts of gore (unlike the steaming poo-mound that was AvP).

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 165
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 23/1/2011 12:37:27 AM   
Mr Grady

I'd just like to add as an avid fan of the original, the Blu-ray is an amazing experience and i've seen it on every format it has ever been available on.  Without sounding like a Blu pimp it is just like watching it all over again, so many fine details come to life.

Get it if you can.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 166
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 23/1/2011 12:24:45 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

I'd just like to add as an avid fan of the original, the Blu-ray is an amazing experience and i've seen it on every format it has ever been available on. Without sounding like a Blu pimp it is just like watching it all over again, so many fine details come to life.

Get it if you can.

Nice one Mr. Grady; I'd like to snare the original ELM STREET on blu-ray (I'm a total blu-fan). Just hope the UK version is uncut, has decent extras etc...

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 167
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 24/1/2011 7:11:01 AM   
Tech_Noir

I got the Legacy documentary last week, great viewing, still going through the second disc.

Oddly enough I don't even own the Elm Street movies.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 168
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 24/1/2011 9:02:03 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I got the Legacy documentary last week, great viewing, still going through the second disc.

Glad you liked the doc Tech. I still have the first seven films on VHS and DVD (and of course, FvJ on disc too). FREDDY RULES!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 169
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 24/1/2011 6:59:56 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

quote:

Glad you liked the doc Tech. I still have the first seven films on VHS and DVD (and of course, FvJ on disc too). FREDDY RULES!

Lately I've been enjoying movie-related documentaries, got one on Screenwriters and Raging Bulls, Easy Riders.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 170
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 24/1/2011 7:43:07 PM   
Mr Grady

Easy Riders, Raging Bull's is a very good doc,  try and seek out Going to Pieces (the rise and fall of the Slasher).  Very insightful.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 171
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 29/1/2011 5:53:00 PM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSKdhhN9LA&feature=related

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 172
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 29/1/2011 11:23:57 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqSKdhhN9LA&feature=related

I used to LOVE that song! It's a pity (the once quite pretty) Tuesday spent too much time at the plastic surgeon's

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 173
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 1/2/2011 7:26:12 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

I'd just like to add as an avid fan of the original, the Blu-ray is an amazing experience and i've seen it on every format it has ever been available on.  Without sounding like a Blu pimp it is just like watching it all over again, so many fine details come to life.

Get it if you can.

Nice one Mr. Grady; I'd like to snare the original ELM STREET on blu-ray (I'm a total blu-fan). Just hope the UK version is uncut, has decent extras etc...

Fat chance. I know it's only a small cut that we have on our standard DVD but for me it's a small cut that has great shock impact. Most people don't seem to mind or don't even seem aware of the cut (apart from those of us who are old enough to still have the original VHS) but it really bloody irks me.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 174
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 1/2/2011 9:31:27 PM   
Mr Grady

Well mine is RegA, there is always that possibility of importing it.  I think i know which cut you're referring to, and no, it's not that significant.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 175
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 1/2/2011 9:47:38 PM   
DancingClown

Yeah, as far as I know the US version is still considered 'uncut' by Americans, only in the sense that the cut was made before the film's US release, whereas the UK theatrical and video version did not contain the cut. Once we got the film on DVD they just transferred the US version to accommodate the commentary (in which Craven even mentions having to remove the moment itself). I still have the uncut VHS but my antique VCR is now positively defunct so that's no good.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about there's a small cut made to the final moments of Tina's death scene where she falls from the ceiling and lands on the bed, causing a large wave of blood to erupt from the sodden sheets and splash onto Rod. The version we have now cuts to Rod as soon as Tina falls without showing the small eruption of blood. You're right it is a small cut, and could be considered inconsequential to some, but for just half a second I always found it to be quite a powerful and horrific image (if Tina's death-scene could be anymore horrific). And having gotten used to it with my VHS copy it always jars with me when I see the DVD - knowing that it should be there.

It doesn't affect the movie overall, I know, but it does still annoy me.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 176
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 20/2/2011 3:13:40 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm sure I've mentioned this elsewhere - 1989, Marvel Comics began a very cool b&w magazine format series featuring Mr. Krueger but it only lasted two issues (both of which are amongst the Snake-Eyes Collection). Here is what would have been the cover art for issue 3 -

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 20/2/2011 3:14:55 PM >

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 177
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 6/3/2011 3:24:28 PM   
MatthewTPotterDotCom

If anyone is interested, I've just re-watched the entire Nightmare on Elm Street franchise and you can read my thoughts on it here: http://matthewtpotter.com/2011/03/06/elm-street-revisited-a-chronology-of-freddy-kruger-franchise/

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 178
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 2/4/2011 7:08:14 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

I'm due a viewing of FREDDY VS. JASON! I really enjoyed this film - it did exactly what it said on the tin whilst at the same time respecting the mythologies of both characters, director Ronny Yu delivered a kick-ass adventure that had fun kills and sufficient amounts of gore (unlike the steaming poo-mound that was AvP).

I watched this the other day. Sky+'d it the other day off Film4. I enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting anything special but it did the job.

The only Jason movie I've seen is Friday the 13th Part 2, so don't no too much about his story. Regardless of that, it was good fun and is a worthy sequel compared to some of the others.

I'm currently having an Elm Street double bill. Just watched part 3, which wasn't as good as I remembered, which is annoying as I really liked it first time round!

Watching the 4th part, which is a lot better than I remember last time I saw it. However, I as type, the wife and kids have come home, so through fear of the kids not sleeping for weeks, I have to cut it short.

I quite fancy seeing the remake, out of curiosity. I was looking for it cheap on DVD, but came across this for 12.99:

Worth a punt?

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 179
RE: A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET - 12/4/2011 2:38:19 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I quite fancy seeing the remake, out of curiosity. I was looking for it cheap on DVD, but came across this for 12.99:

Worth a punt?

Went for it in the end. Decided to watch the remake first. It's OK, but seems somewhat of a misfire. I can't quite grasp how they got it so wrong! It's by no means crap, but it definitely lacks the character the original has. It feels more like one of the soul less sequels - two of which I watched this morning, 4 & 5. 4 being better than I remember and 5 being much worse!

I suppose the new one just seems to be dream sequence after dream sequence. And not half as inventive as the original.

I'm currently watching the original which is miles ahead in quality of any of the sequels. Even the 3rd, which on a second viewing the other day, wasn't as good as I remember.

I have to say, I even thought Freddy Vs. Jason was better than half the sequels and the remake.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI