Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 4/9/2009 8:25:49 AM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

I'm waiting for the re-releases of the movies next year, hopefully they'll have good covers and features.
So far I've only seen up to chapter 4 and Im really looking forward to watching the last 3 as well.

Again MI, like I sugested with the Fulci titles, if you've got multi-region capabilities the R1 boxset is definately the way to go. It features all seven films with their original poster artwork, has good transfers and comes with an 8th disc of bonus material called The Nightmare Encyclopedia:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightmare-Street-Collection-Region-NTSC/dp/0780626966/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1252049086&sr=8-5

Avoid the R2 boxset at all costs. It has crap artwork and is missing the 8th disc!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 121
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 4/9/2009 8:28:52 AM   
HughesRoss

Are you telling me CRUISE that you have not seen NEW NIGHTMARE.....

If that is the case..log off and don't come back until you watch it....

As I know you are a big Scream Fan you will love it...as it pre-dates the style of Scream.. and Robert Englund is fantastic in it....that for me is the ultimate portrayal of a dark Freddy...something that the re-make has alot to live up too

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 122
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 4/9/2009 8:31:43 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

I'm waiting for the re-releases of the movies next year, hopefully they'll have good covers and features.
So far I've only seen up to chapter 4 and Im really looking forward to watching the last 3 as well.

Again MI, like I sugested with the Fulci titles, if you've got multi-region capabilities the R1 boxset is definately the way to go. It features all seven films with their original poster artwork, has good transfers and comes with an 8th disc of bonus material called The Nightmare Encyclopedia:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nightmare-Street-Collection-Region-NTSC/dp/0780626966/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1252049086&sr=8-5

Avoid the R2 boxset at all costs. It has crap artwork and is missing the 8th disc!

Who is a MR Know it all

Tell me....what is the meaning of Life

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 123
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 4/9/2009 8:48:53 AM   
losthighway

HR... Cheeky git! You try and do a nice thing for a fellow forum person and... Well!!!!

As for the Meaning of Life... erm...

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 124
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 4/9/2009 4:55:28 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

Listen to what Hughes Ross says and watch New Nightmare, or you will be banished!!  Obviously the original will always be the best, but New Nightmare is easily the second best

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 125
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 15/9/2009 6:35:18 AM   
Snake-Eyes

The obligatory 'fan-made' documentary - just in time for the remake -

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33513/never-sleep-again-the-elm-street-legacy-documentary-its-way

I'm pretty certain Mr. Depp won't be featured.

by the way - why do people say NEW NIGHTMARE is a good film? It was f**king dull; I could barely stay awake... hmm, ironic.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 126
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 15/9/2009 8:32:14 AM   
DazDaMan

I have just pulled my Elm Street boxed set out of a box for a bit of an airing, and watched the first film on Sunday night.

I'm trying to think of excuses for not watching the rest...

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 127
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 15/9/2009 9:07:50 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

The obligatory 'fan-made' documentary - just in time for the remake -

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/33513/never-sleep-again-the-elm-street-legacy-documentary-its-way

I'm pretty certain Mr. Depp won't be featured.

by the way - why do people say NEW NIGHTMARE is a good film? It was f**king dull; I could barely stay awake... hmm, ironic.

NEW NIGHTMARE is a fantastic dark tongue in cheek film, that twists the horror genre..and also predates Scream for the style of injokes and self references....

Its a wonderful film...with the ultimate portrayal of Freddy by Robert Englund....who is so good in it, that at first you swear someone else was playing him....

The only thing that stops it from being a horror classic, is the weak and brief climax, that lets down all before it....it was like Wes run out of ideas by the time it call for closure.....I actually prefer this movie to the original these days...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 128
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 15/9/2009 9:27:55 AM   
losthighway

I have to agree with HR (it is rare!)... New Nightmare is not dull imo and is one of the best in the franchise. Of all the incarnations of Freddy, i'd say the New Nightmare version is scariest. Plus, the Dylan and 'skin the cat' moment freaks me out everytime!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 15/9/2009 9:29:13 AM >

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 129
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 12:00:31 PM   
CORLEONE

The trailer looks brilliant! Gonna watch Dream Warriors tonight now....

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 130
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 2:22:23 PM   
Snake-Eyes

hmm.... yeah the new trailer looks interesting (I won't go into one about how Mr. Englund is the ONLY Freddy Krueger, 'cos REAL fans already know this), I'll have to wait and see. I wanna watch FREDDY VS JASON now, I don't care what anyone says, that film ROCKS!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 131
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 5:51:15 PM   
HughesRoss

Just watched!!!!!

Not at all bad!!!  Trouble is my mind is so full of doubt about this that I can find no excitement at all.  I hope to be proved wrong

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 132
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 6:11:47 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

hmm.... yeah the new trailer looks interesting (I won't go into one about how Mr. Englund is the ONLY Freddy Krueger, 'cos REAL fans already know this), I'll have to wait and see. I wanna watch FREDDY VS JASON now, I don't care what anyone says, that film ROCKS!

I'm a real fan and I'm glad they've gone with someone new. I see Englund as too much of a comic figure now. If he was in this it wouldn't be scary. But Haley brings a freshness too it, and I, for one, can't fucking wait!!!

"You got nothin' to worry about. This won't hurt....one...little....bit".

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 28/9/2009 6:13:03 PM >

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 133
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 6:28:08 PM   
HughesRoss

If you want a dark Freddy just watch A New Nightmare....Englund rocks in it......you see the comic version when he is on the chat show with Heather, then the new evil style when he comes out of the closet with the words "Missed me!"  That phase was a double meaning its like "forget what those other films done....The real one is back"

The trouble with the trailer is it seems like a "whats the point!"  We have the famous bath scene redone when the his hands comes between her legs, Also you can spot a many other scenes....I know its a re-make but if they heading down the Friday 13th route, then sadly it will offer nothing new and be very tired looking....

They should have re-done it alright, but with a different spin and a new story arc....whats the point of beong excited until April when we can chuck on the original in our DVD tonight?  Which is still a very GOOD FILM

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 134
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 6:36:30 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

If you want a dark Freddy just watch A New Nightmare....Englund rocks in it......you see the comic version when he is on the chat show with Heather, then the new evil style when he comes out of the closet with the words "Missed me!" That phase was a double meaning its like "forget what those other films done....The real one is back"

The trouble with the trailer is it seems like a "whats the point!"

Got the boxset mate, and on your rather selling sentence, I'll be watching New Nightmare later

What's the point? Well I think it will be showing a lot more before he gets burnt alive. Obviously in the trailer it happens at the beginning, but I think/hope in the film he won't get fried till about a half hour in.

A point that sells it for me is that it's taking Freddy back to be SCARY. This guy terrified me as a kid, and it just ruffles all those old feathers of childhood fears. Hope it's as good as I hope!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 135
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 7:01:17 PM   
HughesRoss

What I am worried about is the line before he fries.....I know its been denied by the makers, but it seems that the new Freddy was protesting his innocence in the trailer, and if the makers have gone down the path of "innocent man put to death and come back to get his avenge" plot, then I am sorry but that is a negative straight away.  What made the character of Freddy cool is that he was an evil bastard before and after his death.

We do not need to feel sorry for this guy...he is scary because he is evil..not because he was a wronged man!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 136
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 7:10:32 PM   
darth silas

Did anyone else laugh out loud at the tagline at the endof the trailer for the new film? ''DONT FALL ASLEEP!''

Are they worried that audiences will be bored to sleep by this movie?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 137
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 7:20:01 PM   
HughesRoss

I was too busy trying to get my head around Freddy's new voice-----werid!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 138
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 8:50:06 PM   
losthighway

Just watched the trailer and...

Looks like a lot of the script i read a few months ago has made it into the film. I was seriously impressed with this trailer - it reminded me (in look at least) of TCSM remake which remains one of the best remakes of recent times imo, it really was excellent. It appears Platinum Dunes have actually done Nightmare proud with this one. We had some definate nods to the original (bath scene, lifted up from the bed) and although I still think Haley is too short to be truly menacing, his voice actually sounded pretty decent (more realistic - and dare I say it less pantomime than even Englund's in the original Nightmare!). There were some seriously nice touches throughout which remind us of the other films in the franchise aswell - again as it was in the script. Overall, really can't wait for this to hit screens next year... now i'm even more excited than I already was!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 139
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 28/9/2009 11:16:50 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway
although I still think Haley is too short to be truly menacing, his voice actually sounded pretty decent (more realistic - and dare I say it less pantomime than even Englund's in the original Nightmare!).

I think he's gonna be great. I don't think it matters about his height at all. That jumper. That hat. That glove! Plus,when he's in your dreams he can become what he whatever size he wants. If Jackie Boy was walking towards me, in that steam factory, in full Krueger gear, I wouldn't be thinking "hmm, bit of a short arse aint ya?"

Agreed on the voice though. Very good. Almost makes him sound like he's from Louisiana, a hint of the voices off True Blood, bit of cajun. Don't know if this is where Krueger's from or maybe Haley. Either way, it's good.

Roll on next Easter!

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 28/9/2009 11:17:30 PM >

Post #: 140
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 29/9/2009 5:10:49 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Did anyone else laugh out loud at the tagline at the endof the trailer for the new film? ''DONT FALL ASLEEP!''

Are they worried that audiences will be bored to sleep by this movie?

ha ha ha! yeah, I think they shoulda rethought that one. I always liked one of the original '84 taglines - "SLEEP KILLS" - simple but effective.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 141
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 29/9/2009 6:42:55 PM   
DazDaMan

I actually kinda liked the trailer for the remake. Strange as it seems, I'm starting to look forward to it.

I'm hoping that the line said by Freddy is just in there for the trailer, but really it would kind of add a different slant to the whole saga if it was kept in...

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 142
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 30/9/2009 8:42:45 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I'm hoping that the line said by Freddy is just in there for the trailer,

Why's that Daz?

I watched New Nightmare last night. It's quite good but that kid annoyed the hell out of me.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 143
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 30/9/2009 8:55:34 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

Why's that Daz?

I watched New Nightmare last night. It's quite good but that kid annoyed the hell out of me.

Because, like others have said, it doesn't seem right for Freddy to be claiming his innocence when, really, we know what a stone-cold evil bastard he was originally.

But then, by the same token, it might put a different slant on the story as well, I guess.

I dunno, I'm confused by the issue!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 144
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 30/9/2009 9:40:34 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

Why's that Daz?

Because, like others have said, it doesn't seem right for Freddy to be claiming his innocence when, really, we know what a stone-cold evil bastard he was originally.

But then, by the same token, it might put a different slant on the story as well, I guess.

I dunno, I'm confused by the issue!

Oh right! Misunderstanding. I thought you were on about what he says at the end when he's approaching the girl

"You don't need to worry about nothin'. This aint gonna hurt one....little...bit". Love that line already!

Yeah, I agree on the whole "innocent Freddy" thing. They better not go there.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 145
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 30/9/2009 1:51:14 PM   
DazDaMan

Yeah, it's not gonna hurt one little bite - it's gonna hurt four big fucking bits!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 146
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 30/9/2009 7:56:08 PM   
Dr Lenera

I picked up the Elm Street box set for 10 a couple off weeks ago and have been watching the film,I hadn't seen any of them for well over ten years. I used to love them in the 80s but I was a little concerned that they may nwo seem crap [i.e.Top Gun]. I needn't have worried,they're pretty entertaining and sometimes frightening. I'd rate them
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 8.5/10 Really effective and pretty scary,definately a classic,though climax is a little lame
FREDDY'S REVENGE 6/10 Something of a mess,and never tops it's amazing opening,but fun all the same,has the best Freddy makeup
DREAM WARRIORS 9/10 My favourite as an all round film,fast,inventive and with just the right level of humour
THE DREAM MASTER 6.5/10 Far too light to be scary or even that suspenseful,but some great surreal scenes [that incredible woman-turned-into-bug moment]
THE DREAM CHILD 8/10 Darker and scarier than the last three,with a morbid feel,though retaining some laughs,uneven in tone but very gripping. Underrated maybe?
FREDDYY'S DEAD 6.5/10 Nearly all dream scenes,with consequently little impact. Some good ideas though
WEA CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE 9/10 Slower than the others but clever and bloody scary. The wife couldn't sit through this one!

I will say I'm kind of dreading the new film. I did the same thing when the Friday remake was about to come out,I watched all the old films,got excited by the new film,when was bitterly disappointed when I went to se it!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 147
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 1/10/2009 8:48:15 AM   
HughesRoss

I have just finished reviewing all the Freddy films over on my horror thread.....this is my Fav of the series:

A NEW NIGHTMARE

Freddy had run to a halt.  No longer scary, no more a threat, the character had become a self parody, from each sequel that arrived the more the boogie-man became weaker.  It wasn't any of the Elm St kids who killed him off, it was the weak scripts and the decline in film quality that made the unstoppable more or less stop.

There was nowhere else for Freddy to go, the horror re-make was nowhere near in sight in 1994, not like these days when an original can be re-made in no or less two years after its release.  No! Fans had to face it...after the Final Nightmare, it was no more....some were glad...some were unhappy...but there was nowhere back for their favourite villain......

Wes Craven had other ideas!  The creator of the entire franchise had a plot in his head that he suggested for pt 3 but it was rejected in favour for Dream Warriors and thank our lucky stars, as it never would have worked back then.

The idea that a real Freddy would come into the real world.  Not set in Springwood, but in Hollywood itself and attacking the very people from within the films.  Those people included Heather Langenkamp who played the original heroine Nancy and when this casting was announced the fan boys went crazy, honestly.  If the Internet was as big then as it was today then it would have caused a meltdown.  Already happy that they legend Wes was coming back as writer and director, news that his leading lady had signed up as well made headlines in horror circles.  It was a huge shock as plot was such a secrecy, many questions started to arise more importantly, how can Nancy be back from the dead? and why was Wes even bothering coming back to a franchise that had sunk and really did not need another sequel?

Those questions were answered on Oct 14th 1994 and fans were shocked at what they were given.  Again unlike these days, films could be made without any knowledge given out.  I mean these days any film has so much publicity that by the time you get to watch it, many times you know the ins and outs thanks to the many magazines and Internet Forums who talk and give away sometimes too much information.  All we had in 1994 was Empire and Barry Norman on the BBC, so getting any thing spoilt was virtually impossible.

New Nightmare certainly benefited from that.  Sitting in the cinema and watching the credits roll, I was confused when we see a like for like beginning of the original film.  The creation of the glove scene was in front of us and I thought that Wes was just re-making his first film, then like a flash and a sudden shock...we saw that it was a film being made by Craven himself, and he was doing what seemed like a Freddy film. 

Before we can gather our thoughts there is a few killings and then we realise that it was a dream and it was Nancy who had the nightmare...but not Nancy but Heather playing herself.  Confused?  Well all fans were at the start, but it was an ingenious idea.  Here we had all the people who made Freddy the Franchise so popular, playing themselves...in which Heather is being asked to star in a new Freddy film which is to be directed by Wes himself to celebrate the 10th year anniversary of the original film.

Heather is unsure as over the last few weeks she has been having crank calls from someone who sounds like Freddy. Also she is worried what effect starring in a horror have on her son Dylan who has been unwell of late.  I paused then and re-read what I have written so far and realised that I have given away the first twenty minutes so I apologise.  My love for this film holds no bounds.  There are so many scenes that I could mention and would love to talk about but it would be unfair to those who have not seen it.

I need to keep it brief not to give away spoilers so what I will say is that this Pre-dates Scream for the style and in-jokes pattern.  You can see the crew having a blast making this as we see Wes Craven and Robert Shaye (the producer of the series) all given scenes as they begin to realise that the end of the Freddy Series has spawned a real life pure evil whose essence was captured when the films were being made.  Now the films have stopped, that evil is out of the bottle and has taken over the mantle of the Freddy figure.  As Heather played the films heroine, the pure evil believes she is its nemesis and has targeted her and her son Dylan.

Heather needs to play Nancy again to end the killings and save everyone.

It builds to such a fast pace, and when we see Freddy for the first time, its shocking.  At first I honestly thought it was someone else playing him.  Fair play on Wes who only made a few tweaks to the costume but he looked evil,
 (a picture of the new scary...evil Freddy)

a hat, a darker jumper and long coat....really freaky, and made the memories of the cartoon Freddy seem so far away in the distance.  Even his one-liners were kept to a minimal with the outstanding and freaky line "ever played skin the cat?" a stand out moment, one of the best of the entire saga.  It also contains the best scene that still sends my horror tingles in overdrive.

Heather speaking to John Saxon-her father in the films, about a real life Freddy out to get them, which of course he dismisses.  She calls him John when he looks at her...

"Why are you calling me John Nancy?"
"Why are you calling me Nancy?" she replies when to her horror she realises she is in the very film she made all those years ago...and while this conversation is going on...we repeatedly cut to Freddy rising from the bed.....sheer...sheer class!

I have realised that I have again said too much and I apologise so I will wrap this up as you can tell my love for the film by now but I can not award it 5 out of 5.  Why? because for all its genius and wonderful interplay, its let down by a weak climax.  It seemed Wes  just run out of steam, and it all ends in a flash.  But maybe that is just me....the film is so near to perfection that I just did not want it to end.  It really is in my opinion the best Freddy film and this re-make planned for next year in my eyes has a lot too live up to!

OVERALL: A Near masterpiece let down by a whimper of an ending.  A Hansel and Gretel themed fairy-tale
                     with a storming evil Freddy in the middle.  This is the real deal    4.5 out of 5

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 148
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 18/10/2009 6:19:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEcjUE6XDeY

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 149
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 2/11/2009 8:45:42 PM   
paul.mccluskey

A review of a rough cut of the remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street is now online at Ain't It Cool. The overall reaction is mixed, good points and bad points.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI