Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 10:59:23 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

I really don't see how someone can call themselves fans of this series and still maintain that the second one is good. It's takes a great big shit on all that was established in the first one, making someone else do the slaughtering for Krueger, and establishing him in the "real world", eliminating a significant part of Krueger's (at the time) dream demon persona.
The actor playing the lead role, Mark Patton, is ghastly, zero personality, zero charisma, the direction is awkward and the film doesn't have an ounce of the wit of the original. Garbage.

Hmmm, fair enough regarding your views on FR. However, what are your views on the scenes in the original Nightmare where Nancy brings Krueger's hat out of her dream, and that final sequence where she brings him into reality to kill him... Surely this is exactly the same notion that is investigated in FR!??

No,well sort of, but the original film was not designed to have a sequel, Krueger was brought to the real world to die and stay dead, as you say yourself, not to be able to manifest himself completely, throwing furniture around, what have you.

Oh, and if you wanna change the title of the thread just edit the original post, you can easily place the marker in the subject box

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 31
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 11:06:45 AM   
losthighway

quote:

Oh, and if you wanna change the title of the thread just edit the original post, you can easily place the marker in the subject box

Changed! Thank you!  It's a wonder I can even turn the computer on!! 

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 32
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 11:11:21 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

Your welcome dude, I can't believe there wasn't a thread on this franchise before, but luckily we've got one now

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 33
The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:35:58 AM   
losthighway

I didn't realise there wasn't one either! This thread could also be used for discussion on the upcoming remake(?) Up-to-date casting details can usually be found on www.bloody-disgusting.com So far...

Jackie Earl Haley is Freddy
Thomas Dekker is Jesse
Kyle Gallner is Quentin
Rooney Mara is Nancy Thompson (in final negotations)

As for the original franchise, what are people's views on Freddy's Dead? As there is mention about more of Krueger's backstory being explored in the remake, I have to say I think they did a pretty good job of his daughter/wife/life before in FD.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 34
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:39:44 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

I didn't realise there wasn't one either! This thread could also be used for discussion on the upcoming remake(?) Up-to-date casting details can usually be found on www.bloody-disgusting.com So far...

Okay, that right there is enough to get me interested. Do you know who's directing it?

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 35
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 11:45:11 AM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

quote:

Just gotta put in my two pence worth here. I read and reviewed the remake script in the slasher movie thread and it is for sure a straight up remake. As Hughes said a lot of similar scenes do appear however some plot points and characters are tweaked. Just to clear some stuff up before the film comes out Nancy features, as does Jessie and Kristen. However in the script Kristen is not Kristen Parker the heroine of part 3 and half of part 4. I think it was just a nod to the fans. Also the script is ace. The only problem will be if the director is useless or the cast is crap.

Interesting... the video review of the script that I saw a few weeks ago said it actually had some major differences to the original and wasn't a straight up remake at all. In fact, if anything it sounded like a drama with horror elements(!!) (In short) the storyline was described as the kids investigating Krueger's background, whilst being killed off, and there is also a suggestion that he might have been innocent. Plus, there is no mention of his glove being used when he was alive so there was uncertainty about how this might come into the film.

Right I have to be very careful here because I don't want to ruin the film for you. The Latino Review script and the one I read are one and the same. Yes there is a big mystery running through it and at it's core it does play out like mystery. As for being a straight up remake well thats what I can't get into. All I meant by that was it's still Freddy coming back from the dead and going after teens in their dreams and some famous scenes are used again. However there are quite a few differences. Lost Highway if you don't mind spoilers pm me and I'll spill my guts on what I know from the script. It's a really solid script the only really wank thing in it is the final battle which is a bit meh. Don't go expecting any books on booby traps in the remake....

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 36
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:46:20 AM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

quote:

Okay, that right there is enough to get me interested. Do you know who's directing it?

The guy who directed music videos for Nirvana and Green Day....see this is where the worry lies....the script is ace though

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 37
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:46:44 AM   
losthighway

Samuel Bayer is directing it (he of the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' Nirvana music video).

It's being produced by Platinum Dunes - not sure whether this is a good/bad thing tbh? TCSM remake was excellent, Friday the 13th was dire (from what i've read/heard).

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 38
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:53:28 AM   
The REAL Bozz

The Friday remake was fine....I mean it's hardly the worst of the series. If you enjoy Friday you'll enjoy the new film.

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 39
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:54:20 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

quote:

quote:

The guy who directed music videos for Nirvana and Green Day....see this is where the worry lies....the script is ace though

Okay then, well it could be worse, if the film has as interesting a visual style as his videos, it might work well. Lots of good directors used to do music vids, Tony Scott, Alex Proyas, Chuck Russell etc.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 40
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:55:30 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

The Friday remake was fine....I mean it's hardly the worst of the series.

Yeah I thought it was okay too, good fun.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 41
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 11:56:52 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Lost Highway did u get my pm?

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 42
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 12:00:40 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just gotta put in my two pence worth here. I read and reviewed the remake script in the slasher movie thread and it is for sure a straight up remake. As Hughes said a lot of similar scenes do appear however some plot points and characters are tweaked. Just to clear some stuff up before the film comes out Nancy features, as does Jessie and Kristen. However in the script Kristen is not Kristen Parker the heroine of part 3 and half of part 4. I think it was just a nod to the fans. Also the script is ace. The only problem will be if the director is useless or the cast is crap.

Interesting... the video review of the script that I saw a few weeks ago said it actually had some major differences to the original and wasn't a straight up remake at all. In fact, if anything it sounded like a drama with horror elements(!!) (In short) the storyline was described as the kids investigating Krueger's background, whilst being killed off, and there is also a suggestion that he might have been innocent. Plus, there is no mention of his glove being used when he was alive so there was uncertainty about how this might come into the film.

Right I have to be very careful here because I don't want to ruin the film for you. The Latino Review script and the one I read are one and the same. Yes there is a big mystery running through it and at it's core it does play out like mystery. As for being a straight up remake well thats what I can't get into. All I meant by that was it's still Freddy coming back from the dead and going after teens in their dreams and some famous scenes are used again. However there are quite a few differences. Lost Highway if you don't mind spoilers pm me and I'll spill my guts on what I know from the script. It's a really solid script the only really wank thing in it is the final battle which is a bit meh. Don't go expecting any books on booby traps in the remake....

Bozz, I wouldn't mind an insight into the remake, if that's allowed?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 43
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 12:01:02 PM   
HughesRoss

At least we are getting a new Freddy flick.....

My only concern is not who is directing but will the Franchise miss Robert Englund,  but saying that Haley does look a bit like Robert somy guess it really is like for like...

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 44
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 12:03:25 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Best thing to do is pm what you want to know and I'll tell you. However be warned I wish I had of waited  to be surprised so bear that in mind. It really is good. If you ask me to spill it then I'll end up telling you everything lol and then you'll be sorry!!!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 45
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 12:07:04 PM   
losthighway

quote:

Best thing to do is pm what you want to know and I'll tell you. However be warned I wish I had of waited  to be surprised so bear that in mind. It really is good. If you ask me to spill it then I'll end up telling you everything lol and then you'll be sorry!!!

It's a whole year away yet... I'll have forgotten odds and sods of the script by then, or had them ruined anyway by my damn impatience and sneaking any possible spoiler going!

Post #: 46
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 12:09:23 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Ok Im gonna write it out now and send it. Lol. Daz I'll just copy and paste and send the same msg to you too. Both msg me back please so I can see what you think. I dont think we should discuss it on the thread in case it ruins it for others. Coolio

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 47
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 12:11:04 PM   
DazDaMan

Sweet.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 48
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 12:43:04 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I meant to say in the pm. all the teens are very likeable and smart in keeping with the Elm Street film's tradition. However Nancy is written as anti social and appraoching goth!!!! Tahnkfully I've since read they changed that and she's now just the average girl next door. Thats cool because she came across as a bit of biatch at the start! Lol

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 49
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 12:44:29 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm just reading the PM now....

Post #: 50
The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 4:39:24 PM   
losthighway

Real Bozz, thanks for the PM. I've replied... the remake is sounding really good!!

I've just watched Dream Master again. Amazing how many nods to the original are in there, e.g. Alice getting tooled up for the finale is very reminiscent of Nancy's home devices. Plus, the diner being called The Crave Inn. Classic!  Also, hadn't noticed it before but there is a fantastic red/green lighting motif throughout the entire film. Oh and the soundtrack is great, loads of 80s ambience, plus the whole kids at high school angle is played a lot better than in the original and I can see the remake going a similar route. 

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 51
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 5:04:33 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Dream Master is just the bomb. Love it. If only Kristen had of lived. This Alice.....in the words of Big Bro's Nikki "WHO is SHE?" Lol, she just pops up and is like "Im Alice, I'll be the lead for the next two films". Lol. Intresting trvia here for u to highlight I have no life but Elle Cornell who stared in Halloween 4 and 5 as Rachael actually audtioned and won the role of Alice but turned the job down to do Halloween 4 instead. She is the better actor imo between her and Wilcox. Shame.

Also, Christian Slater and Brad Pitt audtioned for Glen in Elm Street and non other than Courteney Cox went in for Nancy. Lol, Imagine that movie!

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 23/4/2009 5:05:51 PM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 52
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 23/4/2009 5:17:04 PM   
losthighway

Truth be told I'm currently working my through my Elm Street boxset... The Dream Child next (very odd film!), although we do get to see the lovely Danny Hassel naked (so not all bad! ). According to recent posts on the ever reliable imdb boards, Hassel was dishonorably discharged from the US army and is by all accounts a complete twat. Oh well, I'll just have to avoid the dodgy plot and ogle his youthful self instead.

NOW & THEN

Oh and Andras Jones was also hot, although last I saw of this guy was in something called Horror in the Attic a few years ago!

NOW & THEN

Once i've watched all the films, I'll be working my way through the excellent Encyclopedia disc again, which was totally (disgracefully) missed out of the UK R2 boxset. However, one thing the disc doesn't contain is the making of Nightmare 4 (a documentary I remember owning on VHS video but it seems to have disappeared forever now - must try and hunt it out!).

Note: God, I feel old looking at those pictures... it was 21 years ago!!!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 23/4/2009 5:24:30 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge - 23/4/2009 6:47:18 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your welcome dude, I can't believe there wasn't a thread on this franchise before, but luckily we've got one now

There was a thread a couple of years ago I remember, as I had just got the box set and posted up my reviews. That was back when I could be bothered!

The original is an undisputed classic. It's one of the only horror films that I still find quite tense and scary.

Freddy Revenge I think is watchable but very weak.

Dream Warriors was good fun and the better of the sequals

Dream Master (is that the title? Can't quite remember) was alright. Disappointing watching it straight after part 3 though.

The Dream Child was an odd one but I liked it. Definately better than the previous one

Freddy's Dead is a bit shit really

New Nightmare is pretty decent but feels like a different world compared to the others.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 54
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 24/4/2009 6:44:16 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Truth be told I'm currently working my through my Elm Street boxset... The Dream Child next (very odd film!), although we do get to see the lovely Danny Hassel naked (so not all bad! ). According to recent posts on the ever reliable imdb boards, Hassel was dishonorably discharged from the US army and is by all accounts a complete twat. Oh well, I'll just have to avoid the dodgy plot and ogle his youthful self instead.

NOW & THEN

Oh and Andras Jones was also hot, although last I saw of this guy was in something called Horror in the Attic a few years ago!

NOW & THEN

Once i've watched all the films, I'll be working my way through the excellent Encyclopedia disc again, which was totally (disgracefully) missed out of the UK R2 boxset. However, one thing the disc doesn't contain is the making of Nightmare 4 (a documentary I remember owning on VHS video but it seems to have disappeared forever now - must try and hunt it out!).

Note: God, I feel old looking at those pictures... it was 21 years ago!!!

wow! look at Dan & Rick! I loved THE DREAM MASTER!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 55
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 24/4/2009 7:00:25 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I recently rewatched A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and it still holds up. I loved the documentary on the two-disc R1; the film was really a low-budget production at the time but it practically set NEW LINE CINEMA up as a big player. I always liked the way that Robert Englund - who is essentially a great 'character actor' - still has fond memories of the film.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 56
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 24/4/2009 12:19:29 PM   
Kazuya

"Now I'm playing with power!"

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 57
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 24/4/2009 9:36:44 PM   
losthighway

I watched The Dream Child and Freddy's Dead back-to-back this afternoon and some initial thoughts (having not seen them for quite a while now)...

Dream Child is still a bizarre film yet is nowhere near as bad as I remember. The only scene that made me truly cringe was when Mark turned into his superhero character (however it's not that far removed from the WOW guy in Dream Warriors). Also, the R1 version (and current R2 DVD as far as i'm aware) is cut to shit! There are several shots missing from Dan's motorcycle death, and Greta's force-fed death aswell. I distinctly remember you seeing the wires going into and under Dan's calves and more shots of them going into his knuckles and cheeks. Plus Freddy is shown to scoop out chunks from Greta's stomach and feed them too her, hence the line 'You are what you eat!', yet these are missing. As for te concept of Dream Child, it's actually quite clever and disturbing (Freddy feeding Jacob the souls of Alice's friends!!), which is probably why I have found it so bizarre over the years.

(Whilst, on the subject of cuts, it's also worth pointing out that Tina's death in the original is also missing a second shot of her hitting the bed and blood splashing everywhere).

Freddy's Dead... Really like this one. I love how you see Freddy's background as a 'family man' and his array of gloves in the backroom. Also, like the deaths in this one, in particular Spencer's vdeath in the videogame (see post above!). If you think about it logically, it looks really dodgy as something for a supposedly scary horror icon to do but at the same time, as he is a child molesterer, surely he would be up-to-date with what the 'kids' are into as the films progress through the years, i.e. for 'grooming' purposes!? The film has homages to the other Nightmare films throughout, e.g. the Depp cameo, which I seemed to had forgotten. It was a satisfying end to the series...

But then New Nightmare arrived...

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 58
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 24/4/2009 10:33:49 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

(Whilst, on the subject of cuts, it's also worth pointing out that Tina's death in the original is also missing a second shot of her hitting the bed and blood splashing everywhere).

Which is exactly why I've kept my old uncut VHS copy!

I have to share the love for Dream Master. I just love the pure surrealism of some of the sequences and Wilcox is fantastic as Alice. Plus the 'Body-Ripping' climax has to be the most spectacular of all of Freddy's on-screen 'demises', as the effects are old-school yet still look fantastic. Plus the whole film has a real morbid atmosphere which I found quite compelling. Although I could've done without the 'Are You ready For Freddy' rap featuring Robert Englund and The Fat Boys.

Watch it here if you haven't experienced its delights. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDUl5Ke5jbM

I can't share any love for 5 0r 6 I'm afraid. Some interesting ideas let down by some severely atrocious acting and writing. When it comes to the point where you're willing Freddy to kill the kids then you know that something's amiss. Although I did enjoy that image of Freddy riding the broomstick, that was pretty cool.

New Nightmare of course...genius.

And in Dream Warriors I still choke up at Nancy's death like a big girl.

Remake? Hmm...potentially interesting...maybe. Although no matter how it turns out it'll still be the original that is revered and discussed forever!

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 59
RE: The Nightmare on Elm Street Appreciation Thread - 26/4/2009 9:37:55 PM   
losthighway

Just finished watching New Nightmare and thought i'd post some thoughts whilst still fresh in mind...

* It was way beyond it's time. It's even more postmodern, self-referential and 'intellectual' than the Scream Trilogy. I honestly can't think of many other Hollywood films which have reached it apart from Donnie Darko and Memento.

* I love the Hansel and Gretal theme, i.e. making Freddy the evil witch that gets pushed into the oven at the end; and the trail of sleeping pills is genius! I also like how Wes has made Freddy the physical form of an ancient evil which has had many guises before, thereby not only fitting in with the dream demons aspect seen in Freddy's Dead but also placing him alongside other horror icons, e.g. Michael Myers, Pinhead, Frankenstein, Dracula, etc within the genre...

* I'd forgotten it was Miko Hughes playing Dillon, and there is a very neat nod towards his role in Pet Semetary (a film which still scares the shit out of me to this day) with the child choir score playing during a couple of scenes.

* The 'Tina death' homage in the hospital is without a doubt the best scene in the whole film. Craven manages to give Freddy a one-liner but somehow makes it 'cool' (if that's the right word!!??) ...'Hey Dillon. Ever played skin the cat!?' Brilliant!

* Also, I'll go back to what I said in my last post... Just take that scene and the many others where you see a young Dillon terrorised and literally put through the emotional/physical wringer. Miko does a fantastic job and I'm still surprised it got that '15 certificate!

(Note: Also posted this in the Elm Street Thread)

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: A Nightmare on Elm Street: Part 2 - Freddy's Revenge Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI