Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Exclusive: Harry Potter Deathly Hallows

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exclusive: Harry Potter Deathly Hallows - 21/4/2009 8:17:07 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 21/4/2009 8:17:07 AM   
steveg66

If the split is where I think it might be, then part 1 is going to be a bit dull if its anything like the book. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the book as a whole, but you could definitely see a difference in story telling pace and the first half was a bit of a plod.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
getting very excited - 21/4/2009 9:20:29 AM   
missphoenix

about both half-blood prince and deathly hallows.

Post #: 3
- 21/4/2009 9:58:56 AM   
vivlitherland

aww man !!! really cant wait now for either the sixth one or the seventh films!!!

Post #: 4
- 21/4/2009 10:09:05 AM   
Anduril666

After Benjamin Button it'd be great if they could use the same actors for the prologue, that would make for an absolutely fantastic ending - to have been with the same three for eight films and then have the final scene be played by three randoms wouldn't really be fitting an end to such a long series of films.

That's my opinion anyway.

Post #: 5
Epilouge - 21/4/2009 10:25:49 AM   
Chedderzz

I pretend that the epilouge doesn't exist in the book... So, I am going to pretend that it wont be in the movie.
Worst. Ending. Ever.

Post #: 6
The split - 21/4/2009 10:26:23 AM   
ollie1515

*Mild spoilers ensue*

I believe that the split will be the escape from Malfoy Manor and the cliffhanger the death of a fan favourite.
Just my prediciton

Post #: 7
Spoiler - 21/4/2009 12:09:00 PM   
Old_Pyrate

Yes, so looking forward to Harry Potter and the Dull Camping Trip (perhaps they could liven it up with a tent catching fire like in Top Gear).

Seven films would have been over long for a franchise. Seven films where the last film is split into two parts with nothing happening in the first part will be intolerable.

Ollie1515 - Is Dobby really a fan favourite?

Post #: 8
MILD SPOILER*** Ageing of characters - 21/4/2009 12:28:03 PM   
marty_mcfly84

To be honest, as much as i absolutely love the Harry Potter films i would much rather prefer they get older actors to replace them at the '19 years later' bit. Radcliffe and co just cant act for shit and i shiver at the thought of them having to strain their acting abilities to appear older. It might just ruin the lot for me!

Post #: 9
RE: Spoiler - 21/4/2009 1:21:45 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old_Pyrate

Yes, so looking forward to Harry Potter and the Dull Camping Trip (perhaps they could liven it up with a tent catching fire like in Top Gear).

Seven films would have been over long for a franchise. Seven films where the last film is split into two parts with nothing happening in the first part will be intolerable.

Ollie1515 - Is Dobby really a fan favourite?

It's all about how its done, there are many terrible events (some depicted, some referred to) to cut away to keep in the mind of the audience 'they are not on a camping trip, they are avoiding being murdered'. So while they are 'camping' the audience would be shown the reign of terror gathering pace, and directed right, cutting to the forest wold bring respite for the audience and build tension for what Harry will eventually have to face. In all of this, he is still just a boy kinda stuff.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Old_Pyrate)
Post #: 10
RE: Spoiler - 21/4/2009 1:42:32 PM   
bbX1138

Any other guesses on where they'll split it?

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 11
My guess - 21/4/2009 1:52:36 PM   
Martin1876

My guess all along for how they will split it, is that the first of the two will end at Xeno Lovegood's, with the last line "Are you referring to the sign of the Deathly Hallows?"

That would fit in with Heyman, "more to come", and DR's "cliffhanger", as you have just been introduced to the title object of the book (or film), yet you have no clue of what these are.

Post #: 12
Split - 21/4/2009 3:09:57 PM   
Hobin Wan Kenobi

ollie1515, I think that too, though the location of the scene (and burial of the character you are talking about) may have to be done elsewhere as it is at Bill and Fleur's house and given that they won't appear in the HBP they may well not make the Hallows films either.

Post #: 13
RE: My guess - 21/4/2009 4:10:17 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Martin1876

My guess all along for how they will split it, is that the first of the two will end at Xeno Lovegood's, with the last line "Are you referring to the sign of the Deathly Hallows?"

That would fit in with Heyman, "more to come", and DR's "cliffhanger", as you have just been introduced to the title object of the book (or film), yet you have no clue of what these are.

That seems the most logical place. Have just flicked through the mid section of the book and this point would have Harry not long ago learning things about the younger dumbledore and losing faith in him (and everything he's ever  been told) then some arguing and despairing, then the line you quote would be a little moment promising some kind of hope, then whatever equivalent of TO BE CONTINUED is used.

The film should be pretty oppressive in tone, and being basically a kids tale wont be too despairing at the end of the first half, it'll probably have to try and have it's cake and eat it (the way part four ended quite distressingly, but with enough of the film left for younger viewers to get some reassurance before they left the cinema). A mid point with the hint of light at the end of the tunnel would then provide a jumping off point for the second part to begin the inevitable build towards the final showdown (and that epilogue, unfortunately  for people who hate it will probably be the trade off for making the showdown quite devastating and get away with a lot, with the epilogue then confirming for those who need the the reassurance: yes, it is all over, you can go home now).

Structually the first film would (I feel) ideally focus on the increasing weight on Harry's shoulders with the events of the story (those he is present at and those he is not) putting the pressure on with an increasng sense of self doubt conveyed, with what he learns about his old mentor being the straw that threatens to break the camel's back. So in terms of storytelling focus I feel HPATDH might be best summed up as

PART 1: Harry Potter
Part 2: And The Deathly Hallows

Allowing each film to have its own structure, look and feel within its running time as well as telling the overall narrative. A 5-6 hour single film split down the middle would be a filmmaking mistake (I feel) but it is very possible to make each half dramatic enough in ts own right to avoid the first half being too torturous in its pacing in the way some here might fear.

Yes I do know I'm not the director, by the way, and to get back on point, yes, I agree that you have probably identified the last line of part 1

PS, since it's supposedly going to be something very cliff hangerly, they might go on further than the above point, tell the story of the hallows, then have the baddies turn up, and a whole collapsing house type finish, stopping just in time to not get into the chapter actually titled The Deathly Hallows.

Oh bugger it, who knows?

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 21/4/2009 4:58:46 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Martin1876)
Post #: 14
RE: My guess - 21/4/2009 8:17:58 PM   
CB

SPOILERS (although I'll try to swerve them)

What if they messed with the order? Put the Malfoy Manor bit before the Xeno Lovegood bit. That way there's a bit more story left for the second film. If it ends at Malfoy Manor there's only the horcrux then the big finale basically, which isn't enough for a film IMO. If it ends at Xeno Lovegoods it basically just adds another action sequence in at the start of part 2, and kills off a character very early on in the 2nd film. If then ended after Malfoy Manor they get a good end, set up somewhere they need to go and makes the story for the 2nd a bit bulkier than it otherwise would have been. A 2-21/2 hour film of the last couple of hundred pages might drag.

If they went to Lovegood's straight after Malfoy Manor, then did the horcrux, and put the thing that Voldemort is off doing at the same time as the the kids are doing the horcrux (vague enough) it would increase the strength of Harry's choice IMO. Possibly.

Or you could end it in the forest after the stag episode, a bit of an "up" note.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 15
Split? ***Spoilers Ahead*** - 22/4/2009 4:31:31 AM  1 votes
sftballgirl5

I always thought the best split point would be after the Silver Doe. That makes the first film about destroying the first horcrux, the second film about the deathly hallows. Don't know if that's a good enough "tense cliffhanger." For a cliffhanger ending, my guess is either when Voldemort breaks Harry's wand at Bathilda Bagshot's house or when Harry breaks the taboo and the snatchers catch them (before they are taken to the Malfoy Manor).

Post #: 16
RE: Exclusive: Harry Potter Deathly Hallows - 22/4/2009 11:05:06 PM   
Book.enthusiast

sftballgirl5 you're absolutely right!  I had the Silver Doe scene in mind ever since I heard they would be splitting the last book into two movies. We have some resolution with Ron coming back and struggling briefly with the hocrux before destroying the locket, then Hermione's Rage.  But, I think the breaking of the taboo makes a better cliffhanger.  Someone watching the movie, who hasn't read the book (but I hope not too many people fit this description, because the books are AWESOME) would feel terribly antsy for the next installment after seeing that part. For all intense and purposes, it really does seem as if the three are going to their doom.  At least, that is how I felt while reading the book.  Thankfully, the thick portion I had left to read was a sure sign that Harry would not be killed straightaway by Voldemort, and the struggle would continue for at least a few more hundred pages.

I suppose we'll see in any case. Still, it's fun to guess!

Post #: 17
RE: Exclusive: Harry Potter Deathly Hallows - 23/4/2009 7:59:54 AM   
jobloffski

I felt a similar 'if they are found, they are dead' thing while reading the book which conveys a real sense of panic about how things can possibly be sorted out, and yes the bit you refer to would definitely be very cliff hangery, finally explaining and underlining the previously apparently silly fear of a person's name. And I did wonder if that would be the cliffhanger ending of the first half.

But I feel there will be some concession to the young uns and the filmmakers will feel some responsibility not to give kids, particularly those who haven't read the books, nightmares about Harry being murdered the moment he is found. The book creates that fear pretty well, with, as you say, enough of the book left to reassure readers there has to be a way out of it. So I feel the feeling this moment creates will be, in film structure/narrative terms the final 'complication' that the ending of the first half will then flow from (the equivalent of 'oh god, the boats sinking, now what do they do'? in Jaws).

Then, with some sense of relief after this apparently inescapable situation is escaped, some hope restored, things start to be cranked up for a cliffhanger ending to pave the way for the second half. Enough has to be gotten into the first film to leave the way clear for build up to the final showdown, and it might leave the second film with a little too much to cram in  if the opening has to get the characters out of the situation they'd be in if the split you suggest was used.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 23/4/2009 8:02:32 AM >

(in reply to Book.enthusiast)
Post #: 18
POtter - 23/4/2009 2:07:27 PM   
rttech82

Sorry dude they are getting too old. Hermoine is like an "old chick" now and is not even cute anymore!

RT
Edit - link removed

< Message edited by elab49 -- 23/4/2009 10:27:49 PM >

Post #: 19
RE: POtter - 12/5/2009 11:16:59 PM   
Ivana Nikita

There are gazillions of new photos from the Wales/Shell Cottage set. I'll post just one, hope it's not too spoilerish:

Helena Bonham Carter as Hermione!!! (that's when Hermione took the Polyjuice Potion):

http://i43.tinypic.com/ic38xs.jpg

SPOILER BELOW:
They are changing the Malfoy Mannor scenes. Apparently there will be no torture, because Hermione is carrying the dead Dobby's body for the funeral and the goblin's legs aren't broken.

< Message edited by Ivana Nikita -- 12/5/2009 11:20:33 PM >

(in reply to rttech82)
Post #: 20
split potter (spoilers) - 18/6/2009 3:36:28 AM   
Oromis

its deffinatley gonna gt split at the end of Chpter 15 when ron leaves. then part 2 is gonna start by watson going " He's g-g-gone!!"

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI