Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE PUNISHER

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE PUNISHER Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE PUNISHER - 17/1/2012 11:40:41 AM   
dannyfletch

Dolph was a much better punisher than that aweful Thomas Jane version, Jane's Punisher was a complete pussy and the film as a whole sucked major balls! Not to mention another crap villian in the form of the ludicrous John Travolta!
Doplh kicked ass in this version and I actually prefered it to War Zone, which I thought was pretty good. There are a few dodgy scenes and some very wooden performances but that all adds to the fun. Bring on a blu-ray release! 7/10

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 91
RE: THE PUNISHER - 18/10/2012 2:59:25 PM   
Timon

Ray Stevenson really needs his own action franchise instead of playing second tier roles in the likes of Thor, GI Joe: Retaliation and The Three Musketeers.

If his profile was bigger, he'd have been a great Jack Reacher.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 92
RE: THE PUNISHER - 19/10/2012 9:12:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Dolph was a much better punisher than that aweful Thomas Jane version, Jane's Punisher was a complete pussy and the film as a whole sucked major balls! Not to mention another crap villian in the form of the ludicrous John Travolta!
Doplh kicked ass in this version and I actually prefered it to War Zone, which I thought was pretty good. There are a few dodgy scenes and some very wooden performances but that all adds to the fun. Bring on a blu-ray release! 7/10

I'm a huge fan of the comic's, and must profess to having a soft spot for Thomas Jane's Punisher. But it could've been so much better. For starters, why the hell did they re-locate Frank Castle to Florida? When I think of The Punisher I think New York, not the fucking sunshine state! That was a poor decision. Also, I agree with you, John Travolta was a load of bollocks. Him and his goatee can go screw themselves!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 19/10/2012 9:13:26 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to dannyfletch)
Post #: 93
RE: THE PUNISHER - 20/10/2012 2:45:53 AM   
jenzie

watched the thomas jane version recently on tv, and it's STILL a brilliant movie, switching from deadpan humour to deadpan seriousness

and still a hell of a lot of fun to boot!

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 94
RE: Punisher War Zone - 26/10/2012 10:50:00 AM   
Dannybohy

Worst thing about War zone and Thomas Janes Punisher was the terrible turns by the actors playing the bad guys!. Dominic West especially!! from someone who has the potential to me a great actor, his turn in this movie was complete dog-shit!.
I was at the height of my Punisher fan years when the Dolph movie was release, having collected and still own the whole series of UK edition Punisher comics (soon to be on ebay *plug*) havent watched it again since so Im guessing I didnt care for it!. I seem to remember not being able to get over not have the Skull emblem!. Ill watch it again one day.

Loved Ray Stevenson in Warzone and the no hold violence, shame about Jigsaw. You should catch Ray playing the bad guy in the latest season of Dexter, he is cold cat shit evil, excellent.

Thomas Jane was the best Punisher overall for me, loved the dynamic with the flat-mates, the fight with the Russian and the origin scenes. Thomas is also keen to play The Punisher again, even making a short film. I want to see a Thomas Sequel with more realistic bad-guy! a KingPin would be perfect.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 7/11/2012 4:03:26 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 95
RE: Punisher War Zone - 26/10/2012 1:05:24 PM   
The Hooded Man

I didn't mind Jane in the role but I did have reservations with nearly everything else about that film. The tone was all over the place, not saying it has to rigidly stick to a format but one minute he's a relentless force of vengeance, the next he's at a birthday party with flatmates in some of the least funny comedy skits of all time and then he's making prank phone calls to the villain telling him his wife is having an affair (something I'd expect in Eastenders not The Punisher). Warzone was the most faithful adaptation to date but it had big problems too namely in one of the worst performances of all time in the villain. Future films if we get them need to dial down the camp.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 96
RE: Punisher War Zone - 26/10/2012 2:09:29 PM   
Bad Ash

The Punisher seems to be one of those properties that no one can seem to get right. I dont really remember the Dolph Lundgren version enough to pull it apart and analyse it, but the other two both had elements that were good, and some that were bad. The Tom Jane version built him up well and tackled the origins of the character quite well and I like how it didn't skimp on the bloodletting or violence too much, but as was said earlier in the thread, the comedy elements and the dinner round at Rebecca Romjin's place and all the 'thanks giving' shit was just unnecessary and really spoiled any fun that had been had up to that point. Incidentally it was Rebecca Romjin that ruined it for me - she is just atrocious in it! I also though Travolta was crap as the bad guy. I did quite like the ending however!
With War Zone, I liked Ray Stevenson very much as the Punisher, more so that Tom Jane (although Tom Jane was ok), and the action was enjoyable and so over the top, but it was far too camp, all of the supporting actors were terrible and again as mentioned before the villains were awful!
I think they need to kind of find a middle ground using elements of all the films so far and put together another reboot! Alex Proyas directing and Christian Bale starring - job done!

I know where the bastard sleeps!

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 97
RE: THE PUNISHER - 25/6/2013 4:23:29 PM   
Timon

For fans of 'War Zone', you really should read Patton Oswalt's full-throated endorsement of it - http://www.pattonoswalt.com/index.cfm?page=spew&id=90

Also, he and Lexi Alexander appeared on the How Did This Get Made podcast - and they bloody loved it. Like they should. http://www.earwolf.com/episode/punisher-war-zone/

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 98
RE: THE PUNISHER - 25/6/2013 9:09:44 PM   
Cool Breeze

I think The Punisher would be better off as a HBO style tv series.They could go all out on the violence and swearing but still have decent storylines.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 99
RE: THE PUNISHER - 26/6/2013 10:29:28 AM   
Dannybohy

I cant comment on the Dolph version because its been decades since I watched it. I prefer the Thomas Jane version, love the fight scene with the Russian. However the problem with both versions is the dreadful bad guys i.e. the acting of Dominic West and John Travolta's! Although Doug Hutchinson as Loony Bin Jim was great.

Thomas Jane is at least very very keen to play The Punisher again.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 26/6/2013 10:30:29 AM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 100
RE: THE PUNISHER - 1/7/2013 7:52:22 PM   
bydabeachman

The Punisher in all accounts has been a badass character usually only ruined by Studio involvement. The character as itself is a badass, a symbol for justice and retribution for crimes committed. You ar not sure whether he is a good or bad guy, but you know he is after someone. I feel Thomas Jane was the best, but the film we was given he was unable to fully express the character a he wanted to. He was able to doa follow up with the short 'Dirty Laundry' which I feel was an incredibly well done short that I could watch over and over and hope to see more mini series like that. I don't even need a full episode, take a but of any one of his comics and put it as a short with Thomas Jane and I will watch everyone and pay to see it as well.

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 101
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE PUNISHER Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI