Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit - 17/4/2009 7:13:22 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Awwww. But the Hobbit's boring - 17/4/2009 7:13:22 PM   
shanewire

Watever. I guess they're going to throw in a shitload of awesome action but I still dunno will I be able to make it through that fucking intro dinner thing where the dwarves want food or that long-ass bit where gandalf says something about having a score, a dozen, a pair of dwarves. Or something.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Oh my point was I wanted the bridge movie - 17/4/2009 7:13:57 PM   
shanewire

Got sidetracked

Post #: 3
PHEW - 17/4/2009 7:46:57 PM   
danbo1138

Thank fuq for that.Now i'm pummped for this rather than concerned.

Post #: 4
- 17/4/2009 7:53:37 PM   
Knight of Fury

come on empire that's not news that's half news and advert for the mag.

Post #: 5
- 17/4/2009 8:43:54 PM   
crazymoviesdude

Shane, you sound like a dick. I'm a bit troubled about how they will end the first film, because it should feel like one story, so in order to have the first film actually not just end abruptly, they will need to give it kind of a climax, and then they will not feel so much like 1 story, though I'm still super psyched.

Post #: 6
- 17/4/2009 10:04:37 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Del Toro hinted this some time last autumn, that the first film would revolve just around Smaug and the second would very much deal with the darkness enroaching Middle-earth: the tension before the battle of the Five Armies exemplifies the world of The Hobbit becoming that of LOTR, where Elves and Dwarves clearly distrust each other, but only unite to fight a common enemy.

Post #: 7
Thank God! - 17/4/2009 10:33:48 PM   
BrooksyTHX1138

I feel the hobbit could be stretched quite well over two films if done right, especially if you want to capture the feel of the LOTR movies. Whereas a bridge film could completely balls it up....COMPLETELY......In comparison to the LOTR novels the hobbit feels quite rushed anyway (yes, i know its a childrens book). So maybe a relax in pacing and an extension of specific scenes and character backgrounds will be quite interesting. And lots of big long violent battles :D

Post #: 8
I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS........ - 17/4/2009 10:45:33 PM   
boredbluekoala

But I hope I'm wrong. Do ya remember that huge gap between the last Star Wars film and the prequels about 16 years right? sometimes when we are asked to wait too long for a follow-up, we get a little er, over enthusiastic. The result being a big disappointment when it turns out to be not what we were expecting. I live in hope for good things, I really do.

Post #: 9
Hobbit - 18/4/2009 4:33:05 AM   
rttech82

I think you are right dude, Hobbit is BORING!

RT
Edit - link removed

< Message edited by elab49 -- 23/4/2009 10:26:53 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Hobbit - 18/4/2009 9:50:09 AM   
rupert303

So, what they really mean is: "We want to make double the amount of cash, so we're splitting a 300 page book into 2 films."

< Message edited by rupert303 -- 18/4/2009 9:51:38 AM >

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to rttech82)
Post #: 11
idiots - 18/4/2009 11:57:15 AM   
cookio1982

i cant believe how much everyone is moaning. You have two of the best directors in the business working on this film and the LOTR's films were amazing, I can not wait for this and i could not give a monkeys if they are splitting in too two films

Post #: 12
No hack filler-material movie!! - 18/4/2009 2:46:32 PM   
emperorglenuff

And there was MUCH rejoicing!!!

Post #: 13
Good news - 18/4/2009 3:26:36 PM   
dave1159

I think this is great news, the thought of a `new' story for the second movie was a bad idea, expanding `The Hobbit' is much better, Toilken himself filled in some of those gaps in the story, ie The White Council etc in his later work and it means we get to see Galadriel arguing with Sauraman and it means that some of the action bits in the book which are quite brief can be expanded, Trolls, Orcs, Wargs, Shapechanging Bears, Spiders, wood eleves, 5 armies, and of course Smaug... wahoo!

Post #: 14
- 18/4/2009 4:25:42 PM   
Ryan Sylar

i think they should space part1 and part2 a lil closer to one another, not the same amount of time as che pt1 and pt2 but not a whole year

Post #: 15
RE: - 18/4/2009 8:15:19 PM   
Dave B

FFS, I hate films being split in two and having to pay twice. After the Kill Bill fiasco I refused to see Grindhouse and Che in its seperate parts and I'm boycotting Harry Potter 7 because the filmmakers couldn't be arsed or didn't have the talent to condense a book into one screenplay but I don't want to do that with this. Del Toro is clearly an amazing director and I don't believe he's doing it for the money (I think he gave up his salary for Pan's Labyrinth in order to spend more on the film so I don't think money is his driving force) but why can't one book be one film? It just seems lazy filmmaking. If they managed to get The Fellowship etc as one film then surely the same can be done for a much smaller book. I trust Del Toro but I'm not loving the idea.

< Message edited by Dave B -- 18/4/2009 8:17:27 PM >

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Ryan Sylar)
Post #: 16
- 18/4/2009 8:29:57 PM   
steveg66

2 parts is ok but where will the break be. There's not much climactic half way through the book. Unless they're going to use the unwritten attack on Dol Guldur. A good point, I suppose, to reintroduce Aragorn, Saruman and the other member of the White Council. But pleeeeez not a year wait betwenn the 2 parts. Xmas and folllowimg summer release is long enough.

Post #: 17
Crazymoviesdude, I'm a dick cause I don't like a book? - 19/4/2009 12:26:14 AM   
shanewire

Jesus. Is the point of a forum not to allow people express an opinion? I'm not gonna resort to name-calling (you already embarrass yourself enough with that username) but I will say fuck you calling me a dick for not liking some 70 year old book that was essentially a warm-up for the trilogy. And the trilogy? Not all that either. Awesome movies, boring read.

Post #: 18
RE: - 19/4/2009 1:02:26 AM   
Mr Underhill

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

Shane, you sound like a dick. I'm a bit troubled about how they will end the first film, because it should feel like one story, so in order to have the first film actually not just end abruptly, they will need to give it kind of a climax, and then they will not feel so much like 1 story, though I'm still super psyched.

Yeah, god forbid he should express an opinion you disagree with.

This is good news as far as I'm concerned and with the talent involved I trust it will be a faithful adaptation but with enough leeway to make any necessary changes in the transition from book to film, as in the LOTR trilogy.

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 19
- 19/4/2009 11:27:32 AM   
Geosolus

I was pleased to read that Del Toro is doing this. He has a talent for fairy tales and the Hobbit is a good old fashioned fairy tale. However I would of prefered Jackson as far away from this project as possible and for him to go back to tuning lawn mowers.

Post #: 20
RE: - 19/4/2009 1:19:19 PM   
Jayseph

SPOILER WARNNG FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NEVER READ THE BOOK!! (shame on you....)

How're Del Toro and Jackson going to work the bit with the Trolls? Surely LotR has already established that Trolls can quite happily exist in sunlight and aren't the most articulate of creatures. The Hobbit has them holding conversations and then turning to stone when the sun rises??

(in reply to Geosolus)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 19/4/2009 1:36:32 PM   
Andy7x

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jayseph

How're Del Toro and Jackson going to work the bit with the Trolls? Surely LotR has already established that Trolls can quite happily exist in sunlight and aren't the most articulate of creatures. The Hobbit has them holding conversations and then turning to stone when the sun rises??

Well you see the three stone trolls in the first LotR film... Sam points them out after Frodo gets stabbed I think. I guess they'll just go with different types of troll?

http://badvertisinguk.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Jayseph)
Post #: 22
RE: World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit - 19/4/2009 3:09:30 PM   
Jonny Maelstrom

This is appalling news. I have just spent the weekend watching the extended versions of all three Lord of the Rings films and they are wonderful (well, the elves are kind of boring, actually). But the Hobbit? Two films? C'mon.
The Hobbit's charm is the simplicity of its story-telling. It cracks along at a decent pace and has none of the pomposity, self-importance or occasional tedium (there, I said it) of the Lord of the Rings.
If ever a book was crying out for a brisk 90-minute adaptation, it is this cracking adventure story. I shudder to think how they intend to flesh it out into two films - presumably lots of long lingering shots of Cate Blanchett, Liv Tyler et al walking very, very slowly through the trees again.
If they want to make a six-hour epic they should leave the Hobbit alone and find a 1000-page book to adapt. Oh, wait, they've already done that.

Post #: 23
It will be a cool. - 19/4/2009 4:49:08 PM   
Snake-Eyes

From the guys who gave us The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Pan's Labyrinth and the Hellboy films? how can there be any doubt?

Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 19/4/2009 9:37:22 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jayseph

A dark cloud covers the army in ROTK so the trolls wont be affected, simple as

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Jayseph)
Post #: 25
Disappointed - 20/4/2009 10:45:08 AM   
Hillsman

I was looking forward to seeing a movie that spanned events between The Hobbit and LOTR.....mainly because I read the books, but simply haven't the patience to read Tolkien Appendices or Silmarillion-style history books (and I did try!).

Post #: 26
RE: Disappointed - 20/4/2009 8:11:01 PM   
rich

Starting to become kinda cynical about this - whats wrong with one decent 3 hour movie? The Hobbit isn't exactly split anywhere. That plus the fact that after the Hellboy 2 fiasco I sort of question Del Toro's work in English, adds to my growing doubts. They could at least release them closer together, or does that not make enough cash?

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 27
Sounds frickin' sweet - 23/4/2009 8:02:55 PM   
crofty999

i am really looking forward to the hobbit i think it is going to be really good but i dont think that they need to split it into two movies they're probably just trying to make more money by making to productions (not needed but its still going to be awesome.

Post #: 28
RE: Disappointed - 24/4/2009 12:16:00 AM   
Keith M

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Starting to become kinda cynical about this - whats wrong with one decent 3 hour movie? The Hobbit isn't exactly split anywhere. That plus the fact that after the Hellboy 2 fiasco I sort of question Del Toro's work in English, adds to my growing doubts. They could at least release them closer together, or does that not make enough cash?

Starting to become kinda cynical about this too rich - I mean the LOTR trilogy was just a cynical cash in, were they not happy after the first billion?? I mean, like, what would have been wrong with one three hour movie?? They could have released them closer together too - three years is an awfully long time.

Especially if you spend it reading stuff like the post I'm replying to.

For those of us who actually appreciate The Hobbit & LOTR and the legacy of both Tolkien and Jackson, this makes perfect sense. There is great economy of writing in The Hobbit and one three hour movie would be very tight. With two movies we can luxuriate in this world again, take our time and really enjoy the journey.

A second 'bridging' movie is what I feared to be a cynical cash in. I'm glad they decided to shelve it.

There is so much now for real fans to look forward to - Dol Guldur! The White Council! Saruman turning to the 'dark side' (he is already turned by FOTR)! That should justify the longer running time and second film. Remember how well Jackson incorporated the tale of Aragorn and Arwen into TTT? Ditto this stuff.

Bring on December 2011.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> World Excl: Jackson/Del Toro Talk Hobbit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI