Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

World Exclusive: First Look At Tintin

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> World Exclusive: First Look At Tintin Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World Exclusive: First Look At Tintin - 17/4/2009 5:30:23 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 17/4/2009 5:30:23 PM   
BlackBaronUK

Woo!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Ruiners - 17/4/2009 6:55:13 PM   
boriordan

Way to ruin the picture.

Post #: 3
RE: World Exclusive: First Look At Tintin - 17/4/2009 7:04:43 PM   
near

Almost anything with Spielberg behind it, ends up incredible. But I'm still worried about how this will look visually.

(in reply to boriordan)
Post #: 4
CGI sucks - 17/4/2009 7:30:29 PM   
tallaght24

Give me scale models and stop motion anyday! I love you Ray Harryhausen!!!!!

Post #: 5
RE: CGI sucks - 17/4/2009 7:46:33 PM   
mattdavies86

Did I hear exclusive access? That'll be another 5 star Empire review then. Damn I'm a cynical bastard.

(in reply to tallaght24)
Post #: 6
Peter Jackson - 17/4/2009 7:53:26 PM   
sergiopala

Dude, thats Peter Jackson in the back

Post #: 7
- 17/4/2009 7:58:52 PM   
Knight of Fury

man, you know this 'pre-order your copy here' thing is like tobelerones at the counter in WHSmith. just stop it already. it shows a real lack of confidence if you have to promote your 20th birthday issue so much.

Post #: 8
RE: - 17/4/2009 8:10:28 PM   
Helen OHara

Fury, the contents of our birthday issue make us extremely confident in this one, trust me. We don't want anyone to miss out on it, that's all.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Knight of Fury)
Post #: 9
- 17/4/2009 9:00:32 PM   
Filmfan 2

Andy Serkis lives in those suits.

Post #: 10
RE: Peter Jackson - 17/4/2009 9:16:39 PM   
punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: sergiopala

Dude, thats Peter Jackson in the back

...and Looking 20 years younger, that CGI they are using in the film is amazing!

(in reply to sergiopala)
Post #: 11
Geez... - 17/4/2009 9:42:54 PM   
MarieMJS

was it so complicated to do it as a normal movie and not in mo cap? All these directors wanting to do motion capture are killing me, we already lost Zemeckis because of that, please stop... I will never never understand their sudden fascination for a technology that is, to me, only used for fantasy character, or CGI (if necessary). They will end up with retarded too-close-to-human-to-be-true moves and dead eyes, bloody brilliant...
And it's no good for the 3D "keyframe" animation industry either, I work in it, believe, we are annoyed and frustrated...

Post #: 12
- 17/4/2009 10:01:44 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

The whole point is there won't be dead eyes. It's essentially an animated film that will be a Herge strip come to life, and the mo-cap was just so Spielberg could find a way to direct his first animated film (he was just going to produce it before Jackson gave his proposal).

Post #: 13
Well... - 17/4/2009 10:31:47 PM   
Snake-Eyes

...I love Steven Spielberg - he truly is a Master - thing is though, why TINTIN? I'd much rather have seen the long-awaited LINCOLN Biopic or INTERSTELLAR, what happened to that? Still, I'm jazzed about the fact that Spielberg is teaming up with Peter Jackson and of course, elsewhere Jackson is gonna HOBBIT things up with Del Toro.

Post #: 14
Not exactly revealing........... - 17/4/2009 10:54:21 PM   
boredbluekoala

HMMMMMM, Polar express, Beowulf, jar jar binks. All great advertisments for mo-cap huh? (that was rhetorical peeps)

Post #: 15
F.Y.I. I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO....... - 17/4/2009 10:58:14 PM   
boredbluekoala

The Spielberg/Hanks follow up to Band of Brothers, called PACIFIC, apparently the most expensive mini series ever, this deals with the second world war from the perspective of the Marines in the Pacific. Can't wait.

Post #: 16
Don't care who does it, motion capture animation is sou... - 17/4/2009 11:07:41 PM   
segundus

Having been in the visual effects industry for six years, my opinion on motion capture hasn't changed - it's still far too artificial (even for a company as talented as Weta) and makes me think of the rotoscoping techniques that Disney used to "achieve" realistic animation. Hate this sort of thing to bits.

Technology should be used to complement a performance or story - not to completely replace it.

Post #: 17
RE: Don't care who does it, motion capture animation is... - 18/4/2009 12:42:55 AM   
Proudfoot

I guess I understand why they're doing this, an intricate part of Tintin is the character design and the detailed yet highly artifical world.
If it was done selectively, when it seemed suitable, I would buy that it's not about the techinique for the sake of the technique. But Spielbeard & Buddies seems hellbent on it being The Future.

Mo-cap, 3D, and any of that other fancy new fun stuff really isn't the future, or whatever timezone it is they want it to be. It's just new toys, toys that can be used wonderfully, but they have no value just sitting there, not doing much more than being.

Hope it will be a fine version of Herge's character though. No need to hope for lousy shit, that'll arrive no matter what. And the same goes for Cameron's Blue People movie, Zemeckis umpteenth attempt, and all the many other people dabbling in this...

If they're fine, I'm not ready to say it's because of the technique though. It could be because they're good movies.

< Message edited by Proudfoot -- 18/4/2009 12:44:50 AM >

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to segundus)
Post #: 18
RE: Don't care who does it, motion capture animation is... - 18/4/2009 11:25:23 AM   
punchdrunk

Mo-Cap sounds like a great name for a gangster rapper...

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 19
RE: Don't care who does it, motion capture animation is... - 18/4/2009 12:02:30 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Proudfoot
And the same goes for Cameron's Blue People movie, Zemeckis umpteenth attempt, and all the many other people dabbling in this...

That did make me chuckle.

I do like the fact they're blue, ties in with Hindu mythology where the Gods's avatars are depicted as blue-skinned.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 18/4/2009 12:03:45 PM >

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 20
RE: Don't care who does it, motion capture animation is... - 18/4/2009 12:48:22 PM   
Proudfoot

Wonder why I can't reply to people...

Guess it's because I'm a sad little newbie.

Anyway, I've got nothing against blue people, my racism isn't that advanced, and I'm sure it makes sense within the film, both thematically and otherwise. I trust in Jim as a storyteller, even if he seems to be a little too enamored with this whole new line of toys.

Also, Mo-Cap's got a whole new sort of bling out, can be bought retail. It looks sort of silly, but they promise it'll be awesome at some point.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 21
Three Reasons I wont be watching it.... - 18/4/2009 12:54:23 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

1) Jamie Bell
2) Andy Serkis
3) Its Animated!

My two least favourite actors (nay PEOPLE) in the world in a CG version of Tin Tin? No thanks!

Post #: 22
RE: Three Reasons I wont be watching it.... - 18/4/2009 12:59:10 PM   
kumar

1) why do the actors have to have their names written on their tops? incase steve forgets?

2) took me a couple of seconds to realise the 4th person was not a scruffy tramp, alas, it was peter jackson!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 23
Isn't Tin Tin, well, a bit boring for a film? - 18/4/2009 2:37:43 PM   
Porter

Perhaps it is just me, but I find the whole idea of a Tin Tin film rather uninspiring. I do recall reading them as a child, but they do not seemed to have lingered long in my consciousness. It seems a shame to waste so much time, talent and money on something so underwhelming. There must be better tales to tell than this one.
I remember when a Spielberg film was something to look forward to, something to excite. When was this last the case? The Crystal Skull film lacked nearly all the verve, wit and inventiveness of the previous instalments, and some of the directing and ideas (gotta blame Lucas for those, I guess) were woeful - of a Stephen Sommers standard, in my opinion.
Perhaps we've just got to come to terms with the fact that the era of great Spielberg is done. My question is, who is gonna take the lead from here?

Post #: 24
I'd love to see another popcorn Spielberg movie - 18/4/2009 5:52:56 PM   
leroythemasochist

but not one like this!
It's gonna have to be absolutely incredible - or rather, the greatest mo-cap movie of all time. It's gotta be so good people will be dumbstruck.
But you know what? I have a horrible feeling in my gut that it's just gonna be crap.
As someone said earlier, souless twaddle.

Bring on the REAL adventure movies!

Post #: 25
Hey, will you watch your words? - 19/4/2009 6:45:56 AM   
lailany magno

Never judge a work of art when it is not finished yet. You might swallow your words up later on.

You'll never know how fascinating Tintin and his friends are. Discover them yourselves. You'll see.

< Message edited by lailany magno -- 19/4/2009 6:51:10 AM >

Post #: 26
RE: Hey, will you watch your words? - 19/4/2009 4:52:19 PM   
rich

Don't screw this up Steve, please show us the guy behind Jaws and Raiders is still alive and well. 

(in reply to lailany magno)
Post #: 27
RE: Isn't Tin Tin, well, a bit boring for a film? - 19/4/2009 8:37:29 PM   
Proudfoot

The Tintin universe is wonderful, filled with oportunities for classic adventure, comedy, action, all the sort of things Spielberg originally got famous for (whether or not it's what he does best, could maybe be discussed), so I understand why he's been trying to get this off the ground for so many years. There's ancient treasures, a crazy scientist, globe trotting etc etc...
I'm not saying it's a slam dunk to make it come alive. There's a certain deliberate emptiness to the main character, works great on the page where he's the reader's stand-in, an avatar, which could be difficult to translate to film. That and the very stylized character design overall.
But I think it's fair enough if they give Tintin a bit more personality, it's not the same medium after all, and clearly the CGI choice is tied in with the second problem.

If it sucks, I don't think the comic should be blamed.

(in reply to Porter)
Post #: 28
Probably the first time in years.... - 20/4/2009 12:42:14 PM   
the ageless stranger

...I haven't been excited about a Spielberg film, or a Jackson one for that matter. I had no interest in reading Tintin when I was younger, and I have no interest in seeing it on the big screen and I can't understand why either of them would put so much effort into this.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 29
RE: - 20/4/2009 12:45:56 PM   
MarieMJS

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

The whole point is there won't be dead eyes. It's essentially an animated film that will be a Herge strip come to life, and the mo-cap was just so Spielberg could find a way to direct his first animated film (he was just going to produce it before Jackson gave his proposal).

Well you are right in the middle of the problem, "it's essentially an animated film", and I say no.

Motion Capture is NOT animation.

It's Motion Capture, it's a technology that captures people moving in a green space, it's not animation, and I wish the movie websites could repeat that a bit more often instead of calling everything 3D "animation".

Spielberg has an animation studio, it's called Dreamworks, and he had a way to do it as a real animation project. He also has actors hired to play the roles and could have done a live movie. Instead, he just jumps into the craziness of Mo Cap, and I can already see how they will call it "its first animated movie", when it's not. It's like when they tried to put Boewulf in the line for best animated feature film, I wanted to cry, it's my whole industry which was offended, even Pixar began adding a small thing in their credits :"“Our Quality Assurance Guarantee: 100% Genuine Animation! No motion capture or any other performance shortcuts were used in the production of this film.”

Geez, I guess it was too complicated for him to do a Pixar level movie animated à la mano by a studio of animators and make a REAL animated movie, eh...
This plus Indiana Jones, I can no longer admire him like I used to, and it makes me really sad...

3D animator - French, so, probably, rude (I might insult your clothing) - lurking 98% of the time

Missing Big Screen was never an option.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> World Exclusive: First Look At Tintin Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI