Crank 2: High Voltage

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Crank 2: High Voltage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 9:52:26 PM   
Ethanial

Well, figured I'd start it 'fore Empire's review goes up tomorrow and I'm relegated to fourth post or whatever.

My views:
His Name Is Chev Chelios, and in 2006, he didn't die.
At the end he blinked, this time they highlight that blink with a squidgy sound effect, and three months after miraculous surviving a fall from a helicopter a hundred feet high, and bouncing off a car with an old woman in, apparently, he's out for more violence. Somebody took his Super-Heart, and he's got a shoddy electric one to keep him alive as they dissect more of Super-Hitman (Timothy Olyphant has nothing on the Stath).

Cue violence, swearing, blood, bullets, breasts, ADD editing, amazingly crazy visuals, very odd flash-backs, flash-to's, flashing girls, everything short of a kitchen sink, unless Chev threw it out in a fit of rage in one of the scenes cut.

The easiest thing to do would be a large plot summary, with who's back, who's new, what's happening, but the whole fun of the kinetic franticity* of the Crank films is sh*t happens, and you get a laugh out of how insane it gets, and the shock of it.
*(Yeah, I made up a word, big whoop)
So basic plot, Chev Chelios wants his heart back, understandably, and everyone else is in his way, friends and foes, so he must by-pass them all to get info and find it, and keep his new heart going after a car crash breaks the big battery.

So, what do I think of this film?

Nevaldine and Taylor burst onto the screens in '06 with Crank, an amazing film full of crazy ideas, extreme OTT violence, language, camera-work, more sickening than Bourne style shaky-ness, and made a film version of the greatest video game imaginable, GTA with a time limit.

This time they are back, bigger, bolder and they know what's going on, what is expected, and instead of saying, dude, we can't match this, we should totally hold back like Quantum of Solace, they remember why Transporter 2 is as good as, if not better than, the original. They multiplied the first film and added even more moments where you think they are just having a massive laugh, but they want you to join in too, it's not serious, it's not clever, it's just an hour and a half of pure brilliance.

Hell, there's a moment where someone describes Chelios as looking like that actor off that Trainspotting film.

The film is well made, it looks gorgeous and is edited perfectly, very over-the-top, and once again Google Maps points the way, the music is brilliant, the action is perfect, and the sex scene this time. Well, it's far more than the last one, hell, there's so much some gets pixellated, more for style of course, but damn if it ain't a shame when it comes to Amy Smart.

Bai Ling gets in on the act this time too with a crazy performance as a hooker who is Chelios' Jar Jar, only she doesn't annoy the audience, only him.

The film is spot-on, there's nothing I can say against it, the pace like part one is amped to the max all the way through, the dialogue is even funnier this time, and there's some really surreal moments, including a Gerri Halliwell cameo. Just wait.

This is not a sequel, this is simply the second half of Crank, the epic four and a half hour action film starring Jason Statham as the man who survives gun-fights, helicopter falls, burning alive, heart transplants and re-transplants, electric jolts, and has time to be cool enough to give a large gang member a colonoscopy with a Shot Gun.

Masterpiece in action cinema yet again, and no, I'm not joking, for well made high concept action, look to Nevaldine and Taylor.

10/10

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.
Post #: 1
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 10:04:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

Woo hoo!!!

Been waiting for a review. Cannot wait for this. The epic story of Chev continues.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 2
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 10:44:53 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial
This is not a sequel, this is simply the second half of Crank, the epic four and a half hour action film starring Jason Statham

Gibber!

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 3
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 10:46:27 PM   
Ethanial

Oops, shoulda said part, not half, more third.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 4
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 10:59:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

Hows the soundtrack? Did they use the Electric Six song?

Does a big CONTINUE? sign pop up at the start?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 5
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 11:24:56 PM   
Ethanial

No continue, but it does start with a video-game of Chev and Ricky on the helicopter.

No Electric Six, though that'd have been extremely funny, the soundtrack is pretty good though.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 6
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 11:28:28 PM   
DazDaMan

I sooo cannot wait to see this! 

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 7
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 15/4/2009 11:32:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

I hope Empire gives this one a good review. The poor ratings fro Doomsday, Punisher Warzone, Taken and Rambo make me think there isn;t enough love in the magazine for a fun B-movie.

This year we have Crank 2, Black Dynamite and The Expendables (tho that might be nest year) - truely we are living through some good times for action movies.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 8
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 9:40:41 AM   
Joedini

Saw this last night and while I wouldnt give it a 10 it's certainly a fantastic piece of entertainent!

Probably one of the most random films i've ever seen. There's even a Godzilla homage!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 9
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 10:02:00 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

There's even a Godzilla homage!

Please tell me it's a giant version of The Stath rampaging all over LA!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 10
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 10:32:29 AM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

There's even a Godzilla homage!

Please tell me it's a giant version of The Stath rampaging all over LA!

Not quite .... you really have to see it to believe it

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 11
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 12:43:58 PM   
Ethanial

That was an insane part, really crazy, but then again, wouldn't expect anything less.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 12
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 2:18:58 PM   
losthighway

I know it's wrong but just how much of the lovely Jason do we get to see during the infamous racecourse scene. Might be worth a trip to the cinema this evening depending on the answer...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 13
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 2:43:55 PM   
BatFan

I was gonna ask if there was any hint that there may be a 3rd film in the series. But to be honest even if there wasn't a hint there could be. Honestly after watching Crank whoever thought that there was going to be a sequel?

Seeing it tomorrow night. I can't wait!

oh and erm...this is just for a friend's info..but...how big a part does Jenna Jameson have?...it's just my friend really wants to know...

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 14
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 3:18:09 PM   
Ethanial

You see a lot of Stath in the race-course scene, they blur out any chance of genitalia, many women were annoyed at that in the theatre, but there's some arse for them.
No idea about that BatFan, sorry.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 15
RE: Crank 2: High Voltage - 16/4/2009 6:32:42 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ethanial

You see a lot of Stath in the race-course scene, they blur out any chance of genitalia, many women were annoyed at that in the theatre, but there's some arse for them.
No idea about that BatFan, sorry.

Hmmm, how crap is that! Believe me, it ain't just the women who will be disappointed although I suppose ass will have to do...  Really would like to see this and I Love You Man but with the kiddy winks off, trying to get to cinema has been a nightmare. Will wait for hem all to disappear bck to school next week I think.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Crank 2: High Voltage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI