Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> SAVING PRIVATE RYAN Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 14/4/2009 8:02:56 PM   
Snake-Eyes

The Greatest War Movie Ever Made. I remember watching this at the Cinema and being completely shell-shocked. The performances are top-notch by all the players (yes, EVEN Vin Diesel); Snake-Eyes' favourite character is the supercool sniper Jackson played by Barry Pepper. Spielberg decided to utilise minimum score and, as always, John Williams' score is beautiful.

Further viewing is obvious - BAND OF BROTHERS and BLACK HAWK DOWN.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 13/12/2009 9:00:12 AM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html
Post #: 1
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 15/4/2009 11:43:44 AM   
grucl

Play Medal of Honor - Allied Assault!

I think it's level 5 or 6.
A black screen, the sound of water and distant gunfire.
A caption appears "June, 6th 1944. Omaha Beach, Normandy"
The screen gets bright and you find yourself amongst other soldiers inside a lannding boat.
The front door opens and all hell breaks loose.

< Message edited by grucl -- 15/4/2009 11:44:12 AM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 2
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 15/4/2009 12:53:01 PM   
DazDaMan

This is a film I have a HUGE problem with.

Yes, it's a great war film, at least for the opening 20-30 minutes.  That's about as realistic as cinematic warfare is going to get without going all CGI on us.

But as for the rest of it.... Urgh, no thanks.  Some of the dialogue makes me cringe, especially the line about the P-51 Mustangs....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 3
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 10/8/2009 7:34:38 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm really at a loss as to why this film doesn't get more love - it's an undisputed classic!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 4
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 10/8/2009 8:56:28 PM   
UTB

I don't think it's the greatest war film ever made (there just isn't a perfect war film in my opinion, from start to finish at least), but it is a great film.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 5
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 10/8/2009 9:49:11 PM   
Scott_

Great film but too sentimental for its own good at certain points. The opening is beyond brilliant and it's something I would have loved to see at the Cinema.

Black Hawk Down is the best War fim though Snake-Eyes.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 6
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 10/8/2009 11:02:03 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Black Hawk Down is the best War fim though Snake-Eyes.

I saw SPR at the cinema about five times - Amazing! BLACK HAWK DOWN is probably in my own Top Five War Movies - Great Film.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 7
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 10/8/2009 11:12:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

I still love this film. It ain't perfect but it really did transform the way war was protrayed on screen. Sadly few directors have ever really been successful using the jerky camera that takes us through the first 30 mins.

Also if it wasn't for this there would not have been any Band of the Brothers.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 8
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 29/8/2009 5:20:39 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Someone, somewhere else on these boards dared to compare a certain recent Tarantino-directed film to this Masterpiece - yeah right.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 9
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 29/8/2009 6:01:56 PM   
darth silas

I liked this movie.Only saw it once though.Tom Hanks was in it.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 10
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 29/8/2009 6:20:02 PM   
dj vivace

Its a classic, simple. And it changed the way war movie battle scenes were filmed, for that alone it should be commended. A great film

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 11
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 29/8/2009 10:18:56 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

This is a classic war movie and when you watch it now it loses none of its power. It isn't perfect and many will argue that it loses  pace after the Normandy scene but that does not take away from its brilliance. It disgusts, excites and saddens.  The scene where Hanks finds a quiet spot to have a good cry is fantastic.

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 29/8/2009 10:20:18 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 12
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 30/8/2009 4:49:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

One of my very favourite films, war or otherwise. There have been plenty of films since that have tried to replicate the intensity of the battle scenes, but only Band Of Brothers has managed it.

The D-day sequence is rightly praised, but the climactic battle often gets overlooked I think. It's equally impressive, and there are lots of character moments that stand out. Horvath throwing his helmet as he's out of bullets, the german shushing Mellish at the end of the fight, Upham crying as all hell breaks loose.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 23/12/2009 8:18:47 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 13
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 30/8/2009 5:31:11 AM   
JoeyPottr

The first 25 minutes on Omaha Beach was the most visceral, gut churning depiction of war I have ever seen. It was simply amazing and tragic at the same time. The camera work was brilliant, the performances real. It's chaotic, messy, at times indecipherable, you feel like you're actually there. There is no reaching the beach and then getting shot at. Truthfully many of the men died before they even got out of the pontoon boats (as it showed). There is never melodrama in this film, no loud screaming, pontificating speeches, nothing is rammed down your throat. The setting is meticulous, the story engaging, the mission is very important (but at times the characters wonder why they're risking their lives to save 1 man) Tom Hanks is a brilliant actor, but in this one he's extra good. His shaky hand movement, quiet demeanor, sincerity, irony and humor are just perfect. Tom Sizemore does a great job as Sgt. Harvath, always loyal to Hanks' character and always ready to fist fight anyone who wants to take over from Miller. I loved Matt Damon as Private Ryan, he was perfect for the part, the first time the audience sees him, he's behind the rocket launcher that's just taken out the tank and saved Captain Miller (Hanks) and his unit. I loved Barry Pepper as the sniper who recited prayers before taking out his enemies. The only character I could not stand was Jeremy Davies' Uppum, the mealy mouthed little chicken shit who does nothing to help the unit or save anyone. He's hiding half the time and giving the enemy prisoners cigarettes the other. It shows though that not always the strongest survive. There are so many powerful moments in this film it's hard to pick out one in particular. This film is special, it brought a reservoir of respect for WWII veterans, and veterans in general thanks to Steven Spielberg.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 14
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 13/12/2009 9:02:29 AM   
Snake-Eyes

when Mr. Spielberg finally oks his films for blu-ray, this will be on top of my list. after a decade it still has the power the shock and move the viewer.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 15
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 17/12/2009 1:09:33 PM   
grucl

In case you didn't know by now: the "other" Private Ryan is played by none other than Mr Nathan Fillon  

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 16
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 17/12/2009 10:43:51 PM   
darth silas

I saw this on telly last weekend for the first time since seeing it at the cinema 11 years ago.Its gone up in my estimation.The war scenes are the best ever commited to film and i even liked Hanks in the role(usually cant stand him).

Have not seen Band Of Brothers yet.Is it basically Saving Private Ryan for tv?

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 17
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 18/12/2009 9:40:14 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Have not seen Band Of Brothers yet. Is it basically Saving Private Ryan for tv?

There's a wee bit more to it than that. It follows the true story of Easy Company from their training at Currahee and D-Day Landings through til the end of the war. But if you liked PRIVATE RYAN, you'll like this. Brilliant performances, solid cast (Damian Lewis, Donnie Wahlberg, Neal McDonough, Colin Hanks and many others) and battle scenes just as good as the film.

Post #: 18
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 18/12/2009 11:24:38 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

I saw this on telly last weekend for the first time since seeing it at the cinema 11 years ago.Its gone up in my estimation.The war scenes are the best ever commited to film and i even liked Hanks in the role(usually cant stand him).

Have not seen Band Of Brothers yet.Is it basically Saving Private Ryan for tv?

Its better, you feel more of a connection to the soldiers are you get to know them over the series, the battle scenes are fantastic, the production levels are as good if not better than most movies, the performances are top notch throughout and the final episode will hae you blubbing like a child, its easily one of the best tv series ever made

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 19
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 18/12/2009 1:42:00 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timmy_Brisby_05

I LOVE COOKIES!

GO. AWAY. PLEASE.

Post #: 20
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 18/12/2009 10:03:28 PM   
hampstead bandit

Saving Private Ryan?

brutual...honest...realistic....frightening....thrilling....depressing....uplifting....gripping = awesome

it also led to Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Hanks making "Band of Brothers" and the forthcoming "Pacific"

without doubt, the best body of work based around World War II

B.O.B. on Blu-Ray is a "must see" for any Private Ryan or WWII fans!

I CANNOT wait until Saving Private Ryan is released on Blu-Ray, Omaha beach will look...even more frightening than the DVD !!!

wicked film - easily up there with Platoon, The Longest Day, Black Hawk Down, etc.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 21
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 19/12/2009 2:04:24 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

Saving Private Ryan?

wicked film - easily up there with Platoon, The Longest Day, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Absolutely.

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 22
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 11:13:30 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Paramount Home Entertainment (U.S.) have announced a 'Sapphire Edition' of Saving Private Ryan on 4th May 2010. Specs are TBC.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 23
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 1:16:37 PM   
DazDaMan

I've actually just started watching Band of Brothers on DVD (never managed to catch it all on TV).  What I have seen so far is staggering stuff - made all the more poignant by the fact that each episode has a brief prologue and epilogue by the guys who were there!! 

A little dodgy CGI thus far (the aerial sequences), but nothing that can't be dismissed quickly.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 24
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 1:42:16 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I've actually just started watching Band of Brothers on DVD

Keep 'em peeled for appearances by Marc 'HUSTLE' Warren and James McAvoy...

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 25
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 1:54:21 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I've actually just started watching Band of Brothers on DVD

Keep 'em peeled for appearances by Marc 'HUSTLE' Warren and James McAvoy...

I knew The Pegg was in it, but not McAvoy...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 26
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 3:47:40 PM   
krudler

Simon Pegg, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, theres a bunch of at the time young and up and coming actors in it.

Its really one of those series that demands at least 2 watches, as you see so many of the guys get killed in it sometimes it can be hard to keep track of who's left when you havent seen them for an episode or two, and it always confused me when

SPOILER

The guy who gets shot by the Luger he was trying to get isnt Malarkey, as he mentioned he wanted one too and legs it out into a field of gunfire to get one in the second episode,but its a different soldier who asks the British guy about it before they leave for D-Day and gets shot in the leg in Bastogne, took me until my second watch through to get that

END SPOILER

Donnie Wahlberg is excellent as well as Lipton,the episode The Breaking Point, where it mostly focuses on him and he narrates it, is my favourite ep by far, especially for Lt Spiers legendary moment in it, anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 27
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 4:23:02 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

Donnie Wahlberg is excellent as well as Lipton,the episode The Breaking Point, where it mostly focuses on him and he narrates it, is my favourite ep by far, especially for Lt Spiers legendary moment in it, anyone who's seen it knows what I'm talking about

THAT scene with Spiers is AWESOME!!! He's a total bad-ass!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 28
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 6:16:54 PM   
hampstead bandit

if you own a high-definition system, do yourself a favour (even if you have seen "Band of Brothers" on DVD) and get the Blu Ray box set ;)

its not expensive if you shop around

the massive increase in PQ and SQ is well worth re-watching the entire production over a couple of nights (or perhaps a "duvet day")

Band of Brothers on Blu Ray is simply stunning (as if the original television release / DVD was not stunning enough already)

roll on Pacific and Private Ryan on Blu Ray!!!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 29
RE: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - 9/2/2010 6:56:47 PM   
DancingClown

Amazing film. I haven't watched it too many times because as great as it is it can be a bit hard-going sometimes.

There are certain things that always stand-out for me. I love the minimalist use of music and the fact that it's absent for most of the action. I love the sounds of the approaching tanks just before the climactic battle, that sense of impending horror and danger is just so intense. I love the fact that the film shows acts of cowardice and cruelty as well as heroism from the 'good guys'. And despite the film opening with saturated images of the US flag the film isn't the kind of jingoistic wank-fest that it could easily have been in the hands of other directors.

One thing has irked me, though, and it has been touched upon before. I fully accept that this was a story about American soldiers and their experiences on and beyond D-Day. This isn't the Longest Day, so it would seem daft to crowbar stuff with the other Allies in there. Now we do get a mention, a brief yet scathing indictment of Monty 'holding things up', that doesn't really seem necessary. Because by Monty they mean The Brits. I've always felt slightly insulted by that line despite the fact that Monty did fuck up at Caen and was not very popular, not even with his own men.

But it's always rattled me nonetheless. A valid reaction or just wounded patriotism?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> SAVING PRIVATE RYAN Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI