Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

*SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mountain?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mountain? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
*SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mountain? - 17/1/2006 7:43:25 PM   
skyluke

I have just seen Brokeback Mountain and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I am still puzzling over what actually happened to Jack.

I know he was murdered and wasn't involved in an accident, as his wife stated.  However, was he murdered because of the following:

a> He was found out having "that thing" with the foreman's wife

b> They found out he was gay because of him having "a relationship" with the guy with the beard

c> He tried it on with the guy with the beard but he wasn't really interested and passed it on to the rest of the community

I would be interested to hear people's opinions or, in fact, knowledge of the book.

Thanks,
Post #: 1
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 7:56:42 PM   
riversbend

In my opinion:
a) he was never having a thing with the foreman's wife, he was having a thing with the foreman but suspected Ennis would not want to know this.  The foreman is the bearded guy. 
b) he took the bearded foreman up on his offer of weekend at the cabin, and possibly wasn't discreet enough.
c) he may have got as far as mentioning to his wife that he planned to divorce her and move with the foreman up to wyoming and his parent's ranch.  She may have spread the word around. 

As far as c goes I have the least reason to think this happened. It is just the pained squeeeking that she does.  I have read the story 6 times and seen the film 3 and am pretty sure about a and b though.

In the book Ennis hears Lurleen telling the story of the accident but thinks it was probably 'the tire iron' and then when the dad says about Jack moving up there with another man he thinks to himself, 'that's when I knew for sure it was the tire iron'.  So there is a chance that it was the accident as described, we can never know for sure.

The pattern is not set. It is fluid and constantly changing.
But it will be worked out in beauty in the end.

Someone once said I was the thinking woman's man. I was just like, I hope every woman is thinking.

Beep... Perfect score... Gold star.

(in reply to skyluke)
Post #: 2
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 7:58:31 PM   
ladykiller

I dont think he was having a thing with the faremans wife, that was referring to the guy in the beard. Because Ennis had said that he was seeing some waitress Jack made out he was fooling around with a female too.

I think the community thought he was homosexual, I mean the guy in the bar did before he met Lureen and it looked like the other men in the bar did too. I think Jacks life was opposite to Ennis' life. Ennis' wife saw him and Jack embracing but kept it a secret and Ennis knew after a while that she knew. Whereas Jack didnt know that peple around him knew even though they had probably never seen him with a guy.

Even Ennis and Jack were opposites, Jack wanted Love so much and not shy to show it, while Ennis was the more reserved holding it all back. Ennis bottled it all up thats why he collapses when Jack leaves him the first time and also at their last meeting, Ennis really can't live without Jack but in the end he has to.

I so need to see it again!

< Message edited by ladykiller -- 17/1/2006 8:01:51 PM >

'When two hunters go after the same prey, they usually end up shooting each other in the back. And we don't want to shoot each other in the back. '

"Being born with a pair of beady eyes was the best thing that ever happened to me."

(in reply to skyluke)
Post #: 3
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:03:18 PM   
skyluke

Thanks for your reply, Shaolin.

I think you have a point with these.  I realised he probably was having an affair with the Foreman with what the Dad said but wasn't entirely convinced whether this was fact or not with the Dad saying he [Jack] was prone to making-up stories, therefore it could have been in his head and the Foreman didn't take to his advances.

Thanks again, a truly great movie.  Glad Ang Lee was determined to make it.

(in reply to riversbend)
Post #: 4
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:06:33 PM   
skyluke

And thanks to you too, Ladykiller.

I do believe you have summed up the movie very well.  I do agree that Jack was more obviously Gay than Ennis is.  This is no so more apparent during the intial scene when you can tell there is an immediate attraction.

(in reply to skyluke)
Post #: 5
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:09:21 PM   
riversbend

quote:

ORIGINAL: ladykiller

I dont think he was having a thing with the faremans wife, that was referring to the guy in the beard. Because Ennis had said that he was seeing some waitress Jack made out he was fooling around with a female too.

I think the community thought he was homosexual, I mean the guy in the bar did before he met Lureen and it looked like the other men in the bar did too. I think Jacks life was opposite to Ennis' life. Ennis' wife saw him and Jack embracing but kept it a secret and Ennis knew after a while that she knew. Whereas Jack didnt know that peple around him knew even though they had probably never seen him with a guy.

Even Ennis and Jack were opposites, Jack wanted Love so much and not shy to show it, while Ennis was the more reserved holding it all back. Ennis bottled it all up thats why he collapses when Jack leaves him the first time and also at their last meeting, Ennis really can't live without Jack but in the end he has to.

I so need to see it again!

I think that Ennis loves Jack with all his heart forever and ever and Jack loves men, but Ennis best of all.  And that is the main difference between them.  I doubt very much that Jack ever slept with a woman other than his wife and that pretty seldom, he just saw that people were getting suspicious and thought a wife and a rich one at that might be a good 'beard'...

Someone once said I was the thinking woman's man. I was just like, I hope every woman is thinking.

(in reply to ladykiller)
Post #: 6
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:10:50 PM   
ladykiller

mmmm.....not sure myself if Jack is gay at the start of the movie, the way I read it in the book and saw on the screen is that he likes the look of Ennis but not in a sexual manner. The drunken night on the mountain changes that, but Jack is continually looking for Ennis in others, like the guy at the bar. That why he goes to Mexico I think he is looking for the love that Ennis gives him but because he doesnt get it enough from Ennis he has to look elsewhere.
For Ennis there is only one that is Jack. 

'When two hunters go after the same prey, they usually end up shooting each other in the back. And we don't want to shoot each other in the back. '

"Being born with a pair of beady eyes was the best thing that ever happened to me."

(in reply to skyluke)
Post #: 7
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:16:53 PM   
riversbend

in second and third viewings it seemed to me that Jack was using every cell of his being not to watch Ennis while he was washing.  the first time I was surprised that he didn't look, but it did seem he was quivering with the effort to not look.  I could be imagining it, but I tried not to expect it third time round and still was of the same opinion.

(in reply to ladykiller)
Post #: 8
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:18:53 PM   
ladykiller

I deffinitly need to see it again, and I might read the book again tonight.

Maybe you are right

(in reply to riversbend)
Post #: 9
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:27:21 PM   
riversbend

see it again, it gets better and better!  It wouldn't surprise me if Lurleen's dad had something to do with Jack's death either.  but that is just stretching, and I'm not sure ultimately that it matters, because what is important is Ennis' having to live with the choices that he made, which could have been achieved just by Jack leaving him for good, and his death is incedental.

(in reply to ladykiller)
Post #: 10
RE: *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mount... - 17/1/2006 8:42:30 PM   
riversbend

I just know realised why you referred to me as Shaolin 

I could not figure out where you got that!

(in reply to riversbend)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> *SPOILER** What Happened to Jack in Brokeback Mountain? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI