Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: ROCKY IV

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: ROCKY IV Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ROCKY IV - 20/6/2010 1:38:53 PM   
MarcE

I bought my Dad the box set for Christmas, we watched them all recently (3 being my favourite) but it is right what has been said about the feel good factor of this film, it just seems to put a smile on your face!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 61
RE: ROCKY IV - 20/6/2010 8:18:17 PM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYNeJ56fUeQ&feature=related

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 62
RE: ROCKY IV - 20/6/2010 8:20:45 PM   
Snake-Eyes

That's awesome Tech - Cheers!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 63
RE: ROCKY IV - 20/6/2010 11:37:27 PM   
krudler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnEQWYoFP5k&feature=related

That ones cool too, nice behind the scenes clip of Sly getting in shape

< Message edited by krudler -- 20/6/2010 11:38:33 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 64
RE: ROCKY IV - 21/6/2010 12:39:55 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Rocky 4 is quality.
Just relax,sut back and enjoy.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 65
RE: ROCKY IV - 23/6/2010 9:19:52 PM   
Snake-Eyes

It's gonna be so FRAKKIN' AWESOME seeing Sly & Dolph together on the big screen again.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 66
RE: ROCKY IV - 24/6/2010 3:26:13 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

The ad looks great!
This cannot suck,can it????

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 67
RE: ROCKY IV - 30/6/2010 8:46:14 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I was listening to the newly released Vince DiCola score CD today - AWESOME!

Post #: 68
RE: ROCKY IV - 4/7/2010 1:22:07 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I was listening to the newly released Vince DiCola score CD today - AWESOME!

I'm listening to War right now, what a fucking GREAT piece of music, I have it on my mp3 player for when I'm out running, I can usually go  just that bit farther once that comes on talk about an energising piece of music.

I cant fucking wait to see Sly and Dolph together again, its gonna be the geekout moment of the year for me and my mates who grew up watching Rocky

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 69
RE: ROCKY IV - 4/7/2010 10:25:53 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

I cant fucking wait to see Sly and Dolph together again, its gonna be the geekout moment of the year for me and my mates who grew up watching Rocky

HELLS YEAH!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 70
RE: ROCKY IV - 4/7/2010 10:24:33 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

I will break you!!!!!!!!!!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 71
RE: ROCKY IV - 5/7/2010 12:11:30 AM   
krudler

Duke: Hey, Champ.
Rocky: Hey.
Duke: Can I come up?
Rocky: Yeah sure.
Duke: Some weather we're having here huh?
Rocky: Yeah it's pretty rough.
Duke: But it's perfect for what you gotta do it's good. Toughen you up.
Rocky: I guess.
Duke: I know you think you're gonna have to do everything by yourself but you know I'll be with you.
Rocky: Yeah
Duke: Apollo was like my son. I raised him. And when he died a part of me died. But now you're the one. You're the one that's gonna keep his spirit alive. You're the one that's gonna make sure that he didn't die for nothing. Now you're gonna have to go through hell. Worse than any nightmare you ever dreamed. But in the end, I know you'll be the one standing.
Rocky: I'll try.
Duke: You know what you have to do. Do it. Do it.
Rocky: Thanks, Duke.

This is one of my favourite parts of the Rocky series, it gets the "uplifting go for it" speech without resorting to shouting or cheesyness, Duke is such a cool character.

< Message edited by krudler -- 5/7/2010 12:12:12 AM >

quote:

Post #: 72
RE: ROCKY IV - 5/7/2010 12:48:47 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Duke: I know you think you're gonna have to do everything by yourself but you know I'll be with you.
Duke: Apollo was like my son. I raised him. And when he died a part of me died. But now you're the one. You're the one that's gonna keep his spirit alive. You're the one that's gonna make sure that he didn't die for nothing. Now you're gonna have to go through hell. Worse than any nightmare you ever dreamed. But in the end, I know you'll be the one standing.

This is one of my favourite parts of the Rocky series, it gets the "uplifting go for it" speech without resorting to shouting or cheesyness, Duke is such a cool character.

Rocky is so fucking underestimated-from Stallone being the figure of ridicule despite the Oscar early days for a truely iconic film.
There is something wonderful about Rocky,that the emotion of the writing is there without the usual cheese and cliches.
It literally makes you stand up and want to box,yet has the magic to suck you into the story.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 73
RE: ROCKY IV - 5/7/2010 2:20:36 AM   
Sutty

"I must break you..."

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

Post #: 74
RE: ROCKY IV - 5/7/2010 9:54:46 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Rocky is so fucking underestimated-from Stallone being the figure of ridicule despite the Oscar early days for a truely iconic film.
There is something wonderful about Rocky,that the emotion of the writing is there without the usual cheese and cliches.
It literally makes you stand up and want to box,yet has the magic to suck you into the story.

Definitely, Stallone is a much better writer/director than he'll ever be given credit for, of course the series is full of cheese, IV is basically American jingoism at its finest at the height of the Reagan cold war era, but you cant help but enjoy it.

Out of interest, has anyone ever seen the documentary Bigger, Faster, Stronger? its a look at steroid use in american sports and society, and focuses on Arnie and Sly a bit during it, well worth a watch for anyone who has any interest in either of them.

quote:

Post #: 75
RE: ROCKY IV - 5/7/2010 10:14:13 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

"I must break you..."

my bad...lost in translation

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 76
RE: ROCKY IV - 7/7/2010 9:11:19 PM   
SamSolo

Yay! Thought it was only me who loved this classic.

After the original 'Rocky' this is my favorite.

Hearts on fire,,,

C.J.: They sent me two turkeys. The most photo-friendly of the two gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a childrens zoo. The runner-up gets eaten.
BARTLET: If the Oscars were like that, Id watch.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 77
RE: ROCKY IV - 8/7/2010 8:21:05 AM   
Snake-Eyes

"There are cheers now for Rocky Balboa! Suddenly, Moscow is pro-Rocky!"

The 'War' sequence editing is LEGEND.

(in reply to SamSolo)
Post #: 78
RE: ROCKY IV - 8/7/2010 8:56:23 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

Again,this is a masterpiece which fans of more serious films often sneer at,but:
Accepting that this is just a bloody fun movie,how many films get you going like this??
The strength of Rocky is that he is an ordinary joe soap,who sucks you in,and you have to root for him!
Today's films lack characters to care about in this manner.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 79
RE: ROCKY IV - 3/9/2010 5:24:27 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Just been listening to the Vince DiCola score CD - Magic. Every time I hear the 'Training Montage' and newly released 'Up the Mountain' I can't help but get misty-eyed. This is and always will be Snake-Eyes' Favourite Rocky film...

"DRRAAAAAAAGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Post #: 80
RE: ROCKY IV - 8/9/2010 4:50:41 PM   
steffols

I always find it fascinating watching the Rocky movies and seeing how much they change as the decades past. Rocky is a phenomenal movie. Not just a boxing movie but a movie about a man in despair, a man ready to give up on life. The character Stallone creates in that film is one of my favourite characters in any film. Funny, sensitive, angry. The scene with Mickey and Rocky in his apartment as he is shouting down the stairs 'WHAT ABOUT MY PRIME MICK? LEAST YOU HAD A PRIME!' breaks my heart so much. I love Rocky, its one of the only sports movies I class as a proper favourite of mine.

By the time you get to Rocky IV, the films aren't really about Rocky the character any more. There's not hard hitting grim Philadelphia scenes like Rocky and Rocky II. The Eighties really affected the franchise a lot. But that's more Stallone's fault as he became much more the action hero than the actor in this decade. Just watching things like his hair, his physique, Adrienne changing, even his voice changing is absolutely fascinating to me.

I do love Rocky IV. It's unashamedly an eighties movie. Its also a 2 hour training montage, and how could you hate a Rocky training montage, the man invented them! The soundtrack is brilliant also, I can't deny my love for the scene of Rocky in the car with all the clips of the previous movies. Thats my favourite part of the whole movie.

But give me Rocky any day. The grim seventies streets of Philadelphia, the intimate relationships between Rocky and Adrienne and especially Rocky and Mickey (my favourite character in the franchise), the transformation of a mans soul. It's inspiring to watch.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 81
RE: ROCKY IV - 11/9/2010 6:27:18 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Here are some cool 'custom' action figures in the style of G.I. JOE -

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 82
ROCKY IV - 3/12/2010 8:24:31 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Y'know, this film is set during the silly season. And I have started growing my beard - Training begins again soon...

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 83
RE: ROCKY IV - 3/12/2010 1:44:52 PM   
darth silas

This should probly go in the VS thread in movie musings but i think its appropriate here.

Who would have won THIS bout of the century?

VS

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 84
ROCKY IV - 3/12/2010 2:45:18 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Wow. It'd be a good fight but I'd have to go with Drago.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 85
RE: ROCKY IV - 3/12/2010 2:56:12 PM   
krudler

Since its December its time to start watching festive movies, and Rocky IV is always one of them me and the housemate are planning some marathons over christmas, all 6 rocky movies over 2 nights is one of them, hell we might even do it in one day if we can manage it.

Snake do you like Rocky V? its much maligned but I like some parts of it, the whole idea of Rocky training someone else and having him live in his shadow is a decent plot idea, but the son and other parts of it ruin it, I do like how it ends with a streetfight as at the time another in ring bout would have been silly givens Rockys condition at the beginning (that first scene in the shower after the Drago fights is actually one of my favourite parts of the whole series, where Rocky is getting confused with names and tells Adrian he cant stop his hands shaking, awesome acting from Sly) also when Rocky gets drunk and stands outside the old gym is a great little moment "how you doin' Mick?" and it was nice seeing Burgess Meredith back in he series again in he flashback, even it was blatantly obvious the camera was hiding Slys subsequent aging.

quote:

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 86
ROCKY IV - 3/12/2010 10:03:29 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Since its December its time to start watching festive movies, and Rocky IV is always one of them me and the housemate are planning some marathons over christmas, all 6 rocky movies over 2 nights is one of them, hell we might even do it in one day if we can manage it.

Snake do you like Rocky V? its much maligned but I like some parts of it, the whole idea of Rocky training someone else and having him live in his shadow is a decent plot idea, but the son and other parts of it ruin it, I do like how it ends with a streetfight as at the time another in ring bout would have been silly givens Rockys condition at the beginning (that first scene in the shower after the Drago fights is actually one of my favourite parts of the whole series, where Rocky is getting confused with names and tells Adrian he cant stop his hands shaking, awesome acting from Sly) also when Rocky gets drunk and stands outside the old gym is a great little moment "how you doin' Mick?" and it was nice seeing Burgess Meredith back in he series again in he flashback, even it was blatantly obvious the camera was hiding Slys subsequent aging.

I like all of the ROCKY films but Part Five is the weakest film of the lot; however, I don't think it's as bad as it has been made out to be (Sly's lowest points were STOP!, OSCAR and DRIVEN). The elements you mentioned are amongst the best krud - I ALWAYS tear up when I watch Rocky visit the old gym and we see the flashback - it's when he whispers "You were the Angel...", that scene gets me everytime. I think one of the weaker links in this film was Richard Gant as 'George Washington Duke', I get that he was supposed to be a 'Don King' type but he just overacted and often came off as a bit annoying especially with all those "Only in America" speeches.

"He's gonna get his cajones knocked out."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 87
RE: ROCKY IV - 3/12/2010 11:56:15 PM   
krudler

quote:

quote:

I like all of the ROCKY films but Part Five is the weakest film of the lot; however, I don't think it's as bad as it has been made out to be (Sly's lowest points were STOP!, OSCAR and DRIVEN). The elements you mentioned are amongst the best krud - I ALWAYS tear up when I watch Rocky visit the old gym and we see the flashback - it's when he whispers "You were the Angel...", that scene gets me everytime. I think one of the weaker links in this film was Richard Gant as 'George Washington Duke', I get that he was supposed to be a 'Don King' type but he just overacted and often came off as a bit annoying especially with all those "Only in America" speeches.

"He's gonna get his cajones knocked out."

"In the ring! in the ring! Tommy Gunn only fights in the ring!"
"my rings outside..."

quote:

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 88
ROCKY IV - 18/12/2010 11:27:03 AM   
Snake-Eyes

well, it had to be done. All this snow... I was listening to HEARTS ON FIRE on the MP3 player during my Morning run - SUPERCOOL!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 89
RE: ROCKY IV - 18/12/2010 12:40:32 PM   
darth silas

quote:

well, it had to be done. All this snow... I was listening to HEARTS ON FIRE on the MP3 player during my Morning run - SUPERCOOL!

PLEASE tell me you ran up a mountain and shouted DRRRRRAAAAAAGGGOOOOOOOOO!!!! from the top!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: ROCKY IV Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI