Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Jackie Earle Haley Is Freddy Krueger

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jackie Earle Haley Is Freddy Krueger Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jackie Earle Haley Is Freddy Krueger - 6/4/2009 8:34:55 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Whoo hooooo - 6/4/2009 8:34:56 AM   
tallaght24

Probably the best news ive heard all week!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
It is ironic though. - 6/4/2009 8:37:47 AM   
tallaght24

Nightmare was nearly the film that gave Jackie his start in movies back in the 80's. He went to audition and took his mate along, a nobody called Johnny Depp. Well I think we all know who got the part!

< Message edited by tallaght24 -- 6/4/2009 8:40:00 AM >

Post #: 3
No Englund....no interest! - 6/4/2009 8:44:58 AM   
Fozola

Why oh why are they bothering with this crud? Unless it is the story leading up to him getting torched it seems like a waste of time. Then again, maybe moving away from the idea of a kid killing dirtbag who turned into an MTV cool dude spouting more one liners than Arnie wouldn't be such a bad thing!
Earle Haley is a decent choice I guess but I think that Englund has the spark that created the character's appeal in the first place so why ditch him?

Post #: 4
Ok.. - 6/4/2009 9:04:43 AM   
chunk

..so Robert Englund's not in it. But he must be the next best actor for the job? Here's hoping for a remake like The Hills Have Eyes and not another Halloween!

Post #: 5
RE: Ok.. - 6/4/2009 9:39:00 AM   
CORLEONE

Good casting this. Englund's too old for an origin story - get over it.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to chunk)
Post #: 6
Great Casting! - 6/4/2009 10:46:26 AM   
bronco3114

Very good pick for Freddie and I will actually give any remake the benefit of doubt. The original Nightmare on Elm Street is compfortably one of the scariest films ever made and would figure in even the most die hard horror fans top 10 if not top 5. That said it all got a little ridiculous after part 3 (some would argue 3 was poor as well but it's one of my guilty pleasures) so a remake based on the last tastes of the franchise wouldn't exactly be sacrilage.

Post #: 7
This could be good... - 6/4/2009 11:03:33 AM   
MarkL1977

...depending on the direction they take. Freddy's back story is, uh, interesting to say the least, but has always been played in an over the top fashion (pre-burn Freddy licking the back of the photo in Freddy Vs. Jason should have been icky, but Englund just doesn't have the acting chops to pull it off, so to speak). Also, the issues surrounding his parentage has legs for further development. I suppose what I'm trying to say is, I don't feel Nightmare fits into the three horror catergories that are doing the rounds as of late: 1/ Gorno (Hostel, Saw) 2/ Lost in the Woods /Desert (Hills Have Eyes, Chainsaw) and 3/ Slasher (Friday 13th, Halloween). This could work as a good psychological horror.

Post #: 8
Jackie - 6/4/2009 11:05:38 AM   
Director

I gotta say i think he's gonna make a Freddy to rival Robert. I just think he can do it. He's scary and odd looking fella to say the least so combine Little Women and Watchmen and his Freddy is gonna kick some teen dreaming ass!

Although, i gotta say for the role of Nancy should be a perfect fit for either Emma Roberts, daughter of Eric, or Ashley Tisdale, which may either one teen stardom rivalled only by Ellen Page in Hard Candy or Natalie Portman in Leon.

Post #: 9
Just wondering... - 6/4/2009 11:13:25 AM   
Mopictures

Would anyone hold it against me if I said that Jackie's performance in "Watchmen" was so amazing that becoming Freddy Kruger in a new franchise is a bit of step down. He should be making new films, original films, less generic films. Films in which, I dunno, he can show his face.

Post #: 10
Why too old? - 6/4/2009 11:18:57 AM   
Fozola

Can't see why Englund is too old...did we ever learn how old Fred was initially?
Ah well, I guess it is right to say it would be a come down for him after Watchmen. In that overlong, biggest disappointment of my cinema going life, boring piece of horseshite he was the best thing by far and stopped me from walking out!
Just wish they would stop remaking stuff over and over...

Post #: 11
Boo - 6/4/2009 11:39:51 AM   
shanewire

He'll probably be good in it but why couldn't he be good in a good movie?

Post #: 12
good, but not the same. - 6/4/2009 12:05:04 PM   
Dr Manhattan

Don't get me wrong Jackie Earle Haley is a perfect cast choice, but at the end of the day its not Robert Englund slicing and dicing the idiotic teens with his razor-sharp-digits.

Post #: 13
good, but not the same. - 6/4/2009 12:23:01 PM   
Dr Manhattan

damn. double post

< Message edited by Dr Manhattan -- 6/4/2009 12:27:51 PM >

Post #: 14
It's about size, folks, as always... - 6/4/2009 12:47:56 PM   
Roderich

Why was Robert Englund chosen many years ago and why is Jackie Earle Haley now? Because they are fine actors and have SMALL HEADS, so you can apply a full head-make up without creating an pumpkin-head-Freddie. Watch David Bowie in old age-mask in "The Hunger" and you will see the problems when applying such make up to guys with big heads.

Post #: 15
If it had to be recast... good choice. - 6/4/2009 1:11:23 PM   
keyzersaulsie

Was the premise for the origina Nightmare so original Hollywood has, in essence, remade it eight times (including FvJ)???

Post #: 16
- 6/4/2009 1:20:56 PM   
steveg66

Apparently Robert Englund has been cast to play Rorschach in a Watchmen reboot next year.....Probably!

Post #: 17
Good Choice - 6/4/2009 2:30:11 PM   
DeathMag84

Jackie Earle Haely is going to be a good Freddy. Coming off a good performance in Watchmen, they couldn't have picked any one better to protray one of the most frightning faces in all of horror.

Post #: 18
Genius Casting - 6/4/2009 2:32:15 PM   
BOOOM

We could discuss all day whether or not we need another remake, but out of all the actors out there to cast as a new Freddy, Haley is by far the most interesting choice. For me it has made the film worth seeing as I thoroughly enjoyed his performance as Rorschach. He should lend the origins of Freddy a sense of weight and depth, something that became missing from the latter Elm street movies as Englund gradually became a parody of himself.

Post #: 19
Pedo - 6/4/2009 2:36:05 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I thought he just liked to kill them?

Post #: 20
RE: Pedo - 6/4/2009 3:09:43 PM   
Hobin Wan Kenobi

I thought that the same thing to be honest, he just kills them in their dreams. I do remember however in the 1st one though when Nancy's mum tells her of how he used to be a child molester before he was hunted down and killed by the parents.

Post #: 21
Good choice! - 6/4/2009 5:08:29 PM   
losthighway

Good choice in casting but sadly he won't get much to say... I saw a video review of the script about a week ago and apparently Krueger is played as an innocent victim to some extent in the remake. It is up to the various teens to work out whether he was guilty or not. From what it said the film plays out almost like a drama with odd moments of gore. Also, there is no real explanation how he ends up with the glove, as he doesn't use it to murder children with in the remake. It certainly sounds intriguing so will watch for the rest of the casting news with interest.

Post #: 22
They fucked up Friday 13th! - 6/4/2009 6:01:15 PM   
keyzersaulsie

Surely a boring Friday 13th remake was near impossible... and yet somehow this production company managed it.

Remaking Nightmare was always a pretty bad idea. Can someone speak sense to them before it's too late?

Post #: 23
WATCHMEN THE FU**? - 6/4/2009 7:15:02 PM   
Horrorguru

Watchmen was overated pap, boring, predictable tripe, seen it all before, Friday The 13TH remake was fucking terrible, this remake will suck ass juice from the back end of a rancid cancerous dog that died of a prolapse.

Post #: 24
Dont get it - 6/4/2009 7:16:21 PM   
tobywan

Seems daft to me remake this iconic movie, given that the results so far have been less than encouraging. It doesnt help that untested directors always seem to take charge. If you told me that David Fincher was remaking this movie, or Terry Gilliam was to reinvent the concept then I might get excited and look forward to the results, but that is never going to happen and so what is compelling Bays company? Fast buck rehashes that dont add anything to the mythology. Just seems like shortsighted nonsense to me, especially given that horror movies of recent years have taken on a distinctly different flavour, to make Nightmare compete, it would have to jettison the camp in favour of gore and thus ruin the reason why we liked it so much...

Post #: 25
Why? - 6/4/2009 7:51:48 PM   
durelius

Having seen his performance in Watchmen I certainly think this is probably perfect casting, however I see no point in remaking NoES at all. The remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was OK (hey Jessica Biel' in it) and I haven't seen any of the others, where is the sense in going over something again that already ran out of steam about 15 years ago and no-one really cares about.

Post #: 26
BEST HORROR FILM OF 2010!? - 6/4/2009 8:16:35 PM   
MAL1201

Perfect casting choice, no question. Freddy and Rorschach were bought up in the same deranged, demented house (Kovacs went out the front door, Krueger the back); Haley has just the right physique and presence to give the character gravitas and a genuine sense of fear and psychomania.

Friday the 13th and The Unborn may have been enormous disappointments, but Platinum Dunes know their stuff, and - despite reports to the contrary - really DO care. See Brad Fuller's excellent blog over at Bloody-Disgusting for more.

This is shaping up nicely. Samuel Bayer I'm sure will give the film a great atmosphere and some cracking visuals, and Kyle Gallner of the fantastic Haunting in Connecticut has also been cast. I'm expecting big things.

Post #: 27
RE: WATCHMEN THE FU**? - 6/4/2009 10:55:14 PM   
Dr Science

you've seen it all before because the graphic novel was hugely influential

Post #: 28
The curse of Krueger - 6/4/2009 10:57:53 PM   
Dr Science

I hope this doesn't end up being a career cul de sac for JEH - I'd like to see whether he has range beyond gravelly voiced freaks

Post #: 29
re: The curse of Krueger - 6/4/2009 11:05:42 PM   
Dr Science

actually - just checked IMDB - he's been going since 1972 - maybe he's had enough of demonstrating his range - Krueger will be a great pension plan - and i have to admit he's perfect casting

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jackie Earle Haley Is Freddy Krueger Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI