Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Midnight Cowboy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Midnight Cowboy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Midnight Cowboy - 5/4/2009 2:48:24 PM   
scotty67

It has to be Midnight Cowboy for me. I first saw it in my early teens. The bit where the old guy gets smacked in the hotel room shocked me, but when Rizzo dies at the end, that finished me off. One of my favourite movies though.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
RE: The Top 10 Depressing Movies - 5/4/2009 9:03:12 PM   
frankie

Has to be Miracle Mile. A movie which starts as a light & fluffyromcom but descends into an apocalyptic nightmare. My 11th favourite movie of all time,

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.

(in reply to movieluvva)
Post #: 62
Schindler's List - 5/4/2009 9:55:36 PM   
Napoleon92

For all the darkly comic bits it's still heartbreaking

Post #: 63
Lilja for ever - 5/4/2009 9:57:48 PM   
chrism84

It's been a while since I saw this, but I seem to remember that the ending was strangely uplifting, as she freed herself from her grim life (Admittedly by throwing herself off a mototway bridge) and being able to play with her dead friend...or am I remebering it incorrectly ? Also, didn't she only become a prostitute after being taken to Sweden ?

Post #: 64
- 5/4/2009 10:50:05 PM   
Sarah Records

Se7en, anyone? Bleak as hell. The only person to get what they want at the end is the serial killer who decapitated the main character's pregnant wife.

Oh man, I can't believe you left out Breaking The Waves. I felt completely hollow by the end of that film.

Post #: 65
Dungeons and Dragons (the Cartoon) or Ulysse 31 - 6/4/2009 11:01:56 AM   
bronco3114

I know it's not a film but even at 27 I still get derpressed thinking about it from my youth... Niether Ulysse and his kid or those other little bastards never get home and they come close once or twice. A kid needs fucking closure!!!

Post #: 66
- 6/4/2009 11:54:45 AM   
HoboCop

elephant man i think also the fountain

Post #: 67
- 6/4/2009 12:07:25 PM   
Code_187

Someone mentioned Hotel Rwanda. I'd supplant that with Shooting Dogs given the even more downbeat ending.
The Mist deserves a mention too, just for the ending.

Post #: 68
Ulysses 31 - 6/4/2009 2:01:41 PM   
Duckers

Just picking up on Bronco3114's comment (no 3 in the list) about the inherent sadness in knowing that having the series cancelled resulted in the "Dungeons & Dragons" kids from the 80s cartoon being eternally stuck in Dungeonland. What must their poor parents be going through? Happier news on "Ulysess 31" though. If anyone remembers this brilliant series, it did end with Ulysses and his crew getting home (in episode 26). Sorry if this is a spoiler for anyone still working their way through episodes of "Ulysses 31" - but, come on, it was effing years ago.

Post #: 69
RE: Dungeons and Dragons (the Cartoon) or Ulysse 31 - 6/4/2009 2:05:52 PM   
Duckers

Terrible about those "Dungeons and Dragons" kids.  Due to the series being cancelled they never made it back from Dungeonland, and their parents spent the rest of their lives grieving, not knowing whether their children were dead or abducted by sex traffickers.  Happier news about "Ulysses 31" though.  The last episode of the series (episode 26) sees Ulysses and his crew return home - so you can have some peace of mind now.

(in reply to bronco3114)
Post #: 70
Threads - 6/4/2009 2:13:32 PM   
Baaaddad50

Not strictly a feature film but is THE most depressing thing I've ever seen in my life. Threads is an 1980's fake-documentary set around a family is Sheffield who have to survive an nuclear war. Most of them die from fires or radiation posioning, the rest get turned into work-gangs by the goverment, one of the daughter's gets raped and gives birth to a mutant child. Even more harrowing then it sounds.

Post #: 71
Nuclear holocaust??? - 6/4/2009 3:52:58 PM   
WIMMER

Where are 'Threads' and 'The day after' in this list.
Although a crying Clint undoubtedly grips you by the throat like the Boston Strangler, a thermonuclear war that whipes out about 90% of the civilised world wins hands down as far as depressing stories are concerned.
wo could ever forget the final scene of The day after? 'Hello! Hello! Is anybody out there'?

Post #: 72
Yes! But no.... - 6/4/2009 5:27:11 PM   
astoroth

Spot on about Grave of the Fireflies! I was in uni when i decided to sit down and watch that film. I thought, 'Well, its' a Studio Gibli film so im sure i'll leave feeling like i'm floating on air and that there's just a little sprinkling of magic in all our hearts. aww.' two hours followed with me waiting for talking dragons or tree spirits or cats wearing top hats or some other bloody Gibli construct. No, as the film's credits rolled, i was left with two dead kids and a country in tatters thanks to war. I became a man that day.....

Post #: 73
The Mist - 6/4/2009 6:40:29 PM   
maxsmorris

Alright, it's not all as depressing all the way through but the ending has to be up there. Killing your son, future love and other two others for, ultimately, sweet f.a. didn't fill me joy.

Post #: 74
- 6/4/2009 6:54:52 PM   
churchillma

I believe "Magnolia" should be here for sure.

Post #: 75
Empire of The Sun? No, why not? - 6/4/2009 9:15:49 PM   
Sphinx

and no it doesn't make you feel better that bale's mum is found even though it should......where to start - the p.o.w camp, the walk into oblivion where they all see the flash of the A. Bomb, or when.........................spoiler his only friend gets shot - Honestly it drains you watching it!

Post #: 76
Leaving Las Vegas - 6/4/2009 9:41:30 PM   
chloebelle44

Christ, I felt dead inside for hours after watching that film. I could never watch it again, far too harrowing.

Post #: 77
scatterheart - 6/4/2009 10:22:49 PM   
dayglowjoe

well, you've got three of my all time favourite films there. Dancer in the Dark, La Strada and Grave of the Fireflies.
Does that make me a miserable bastard, should i be worried? ;)

Post #: 78
Eternal Sunshine - 6/4/2009 10:52:24 PM   
Joeee

I think this should be on the list.

Post #: 79
Irreversible... - 7/4/2009 12:31:16 AM   
The True Mooseman

...is not a depressing film, it's just wantonly unpleasant.

I'm struggling to come up with alternatives, I guess I'm the triumph against adversity type.

Post #: 80
Blindness - 7/4/2009 4:35:02 AM   
trippen_rodriguez

It just goes to show how easily man can fall. Saw this movie a couple months ago, along with The Mist it still haunts me to this day.

Post #: 81
Dead Ringers and more... - 7/4/2009 10:50:29 AM   
postgrape

Now I love Dead Ringers, but I have to admit it's a very depressing film to watch, and surely deserves a place in this discussion. A couple others I thought to mention; Broken Flowers and About Schmidt, two of the bleakest 'comedies' of the last decade, both good films, but hardly heart-warming. And how about The Deer Hunter? Fantastic, but certainly not feel-good material.

Conversely in response to a couple of other suggestions, I personally didn't find Monster's Ball despressing (despite some faults it has one of my favourite endings ever), Irreversible curiously uplifting despite its horrific content (the return to innocence is strangely moving) and The Thin Red Line simply beautiful.

Props to EMPIRE for some of their choices. Dancer In The Dark especially. I think I watched two hours of The Simpsons afterward just to balance out a bit...

Post #: 82
sorry to say.. - 7/4/2009 10:57:16 AM   
Deavesy

.. but was I the only one who couldnt wait for Clint to suffocate Hilary so that film could end!! Most over rated film I've ever seen.. mine would be the usual - schindlers list, hotel rwanda, requiem for a dream, also Blood diamond - reflecting things that go on in the world that feel out of your control to change... good article though!

Post #: 83
Pelle The Conqueror... - 7/4/2009 11:10:36 AM   
telboyD

...has to be up there (i thought it would be #1). I was also going to add 'Plague Dogs' (the full uncut version where they eat the marksman) and 'Don't Look Now', whose sense of doom remains unmatched. Oh, yes, I've thought of a few more beauties - how about 'Bicycle Thieves', 'Rome, Open City' or Dreyer's 'Day of Wrath'.?

Post #: 84
And Pasaolini's SALO - 7/4/2009 11:13:20 AM   
telboyD

Can't forget SALO. I think Empire's list needs a little revision. Any list with 21 Grams in It is lazily thought out. KES anyone.?

Post #: 85
- 7/4/2009 12:19:08 PM   
Merc

revolutionary road is a worthy addition as well i think

Post #: 86
The Fountain! - 7/4/2009 12:29:04 PM   
TheMovieGod_Darewhan

C'mon... The Fountain is by far the most saddest, depressing movie ever, and it leaves you thinking about life on a whole new level! I mean everytime I watch it, a tear or two falls. And it's Darren Aronofsky that takes the credit agian, like in Requiem for a Dream! One interresting moviemaker!

Post #: 87
- 7/4/2009 1:20:06 PM   
DavidPMcGinty

The Darjeeling Limited literally made me very depressed, but that possibly wasn't the intent of the filmmakers.

Post #: 88
Once Were Warriors... - 7/4/2009 1:52:02 PM   
TheManFromLaramee

Can't believe no-one's mentioned this one: The hero of the story (Jake the Muss) turns out to be an alcoholic wife-beating misogynist, and then it gets depressing. Jake's best mate rapes his 14-year old daughter, who then commits suicide...Absolutely brilliant film, but depressing as hell - agree with those who mentioned Seven and 8mm though.

Post #: 89
Once Were Warriors... - 7/4/2009 1:55:46 PM   
TheManFromLaramee

Can't believe no-one's mentioned this one: The hero of the story (Jake the Muss) turns out to be an alcoholic wife-beating misogynist, and then it gets depressing. Jake's best mate rapes his 14-year old daughter, who then commits suicide...Absolutely brilliant film, but depressing as hell - agree with those who mentioned Seven and 8mm though.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Midnight Cowboy Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI