Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/4/2009 11:41:03 AM   
Lindz28

What's more devastating than Million Dollar Baby? Following it up with In the Valley of Elah. That Paul Haggis guy must need counselling!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
The Pledge - 3/4/2009 11:52:55 AM   
fish that roared

I agree with the person who suggested the Pledge, as bleak as finding out you have cancer on your birthday. Managed to watch requiem for a dream again after an interval of 3 years, still harrowing

Post #: 32
- 3/4/2009 11:55:55 AM   
kingofthechill1

I thought nothing could ever top Requiem for a Dream, that is, until I saw COME AND SEE. Phew. The Russians do miserablism better than anyone.

Post #: 33
nothing like a war ravage nation for something to lament - 3/4/2009 12:16:12 PM   
Carrot Cake

i was thinking requiem for a dream would have to be up there.

I also personally found Stalingrad to be pretty darn depressing. But for me the biscuit would have to go to Ran, a film by Akira Kurosawa, written 1985. It's hard not to give away the plot but according to Stephen Prince, Ran is "a relentless chronicle of base lust for power, betrayal of the father by his sons, and pervasive wars and murders that destroy all the main characters.". To give a good perspective it's loosely based on King Lear...

< Message edited by Carrot Cake -- 3/4/2009 1:15:41 PM >

Post #: 34
- 3/4/2009 12:16:13 PM   
frederik

I agree with MrHooper in regards to Irréversible, but also Gaspar Noé's other film Seul contre tous (I Stand Alone), a truely dark and depressing movie! Other than that: nice to see so many scandinavian movies on the list. :-) though the danish Bleeder is a good candidate for the list as well.

Post #: 35
What about Saviour? - 3/4/2009 12:22:49 PM   
MPerry

Now THATS a depressing film! V.good though.

Post #: 36
No Oldboy? - 3/4/2009 12:31:30 PM   
mightyhypnotoad

I feel Oldboy has been ommitted from this list. Anyone who finds that film uplifting is in serious need of pychological help. Don't get me wrong it's a great movie but it's pretty darn bleak, as is the original Korean version Of Bangkok Dangerous.

Post #: 37
432 - 3/4/2009 12:44:30 PM   
swowlj

4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days, without doubt has to of won this, an excellent daring film, but highly, and i mean highly depressing.

Post #: 38
Christiane F. - 3/4/2009 12:54:36 PM   
OkkE

Although I don't know all the movies in this list, I was a little bit surprised "Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo" wasn't in there. Not to say those others aren't depressing - they are - but the feeling I had after Christiane F. was a bit worse then with Requiem to be honest.

Post #: 39
RE: Christiane F. - 3/4/2009 1:17:34 PM   
dantes

The most depressing films for me are, although both quite mainstream, 8mm and Alpha Dog.

(in reply to OkkE)
Post #: 40
depressing...give me a break!!!! - 3/4/2009 2:14:44 PM   
benjamin_p_98

how is 'THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST' not in this list? I was numb after watching that film for the first time. I seriously couldnt sleep for days!!!!!!

Post #: 41
- 3/4/2009 2:15:39 PM   
deano28

The Sound Of Music. Seriously. Also Man Bites Dog, 8mm, anything that has involved Richard Curtis and Transformers (my childhood has been abused). I thought The Indian Runner was pretty bleak too.

Post #: 42
Come And See! No wait, don't - 3/4/2009 2:29:21 PM   
Arfpint

Watched Come and See recently and in the end just fast forwarded it with subtitles popping away as fast as I could read it. Hideous film, whenever a character smiles, something very bad happens to remind them (and us) that LIFE IS BAD!

I second Watership Down, although perhaps it's also the scariest film ever made. It was on the telly the other day, I thought hey, I'll watch a bit, see how bad it is!
Rabbit gets caught in a snare, slooowly chokes to death.
Thanks.

Post #: 43
- 3/4/2009 2:38:37 PM   
Hamsterwalt

where is the green mile, king kong, the last king of scotland and notes on a scandal seriously

Post #: 44
Pink Floyd's The Wall - 3/4/2009 4:03:02 PM   
bobbyg

Fair enough, the wall comes down in the end, but not before a whirlwind of self-pity from a more-glum-looking-than-usual Bob Geldof.

Post #: 45
Into The Wild - 3/4/2009 4:47:18 PM   
Oriainarama

I think into the wild deserved a mention

Post #: 46
The Thin Red Line - 3/4/2009 4:51:34 PM   
MrJinx

I agree with most films on the list, and even a few suggested by the talk-backers. I'd like to add Terence Malick's 'The Thin RedLine'. I really like that film... but doubt I have the strength to ever watch it again. The man who loves his wife, only to get dumped by means of a letter explaining she's gone off with some dude who dogded the war... he wants to die, but is one of the few to survive. All those who loved life die and those who wanted to die survived. And worst of all Jm Caviziel's character who just wanted to enjoy life and nature in peace, gets forced to go and fight a war he couldn't understand... the absurd rules men create for themselves. Like this bloody recession which most people who are mostly suffering the consequences having nothing to do with its cause...

Post #: 47
Seed - 3/4/2009 6:36:52 PM   
SMASHTEEF

How about Uwe Boll's seed, now that was depressing.

Post #: 48
Irréversible - 3/4/2009 7:30:18 PM   
rcardona

Gaspar Noe`s film with a happy ending, that`s really the beggining of a very sadistic story, which makes this movie poignantly depressing. Havent seen winter light but all the other bergman movies i`ve seen except f fanny and alexander, have left me quite depressed.

Post #: 49
- 3/4/2009 11:43:38 PM   
schlong93

Great choice on requiem for a dream. But where is once were warriors? Id have put in the mist, come and see and the decent aswell though, really had to sit there and assuage myseld after watching them, rough shit like...

Post #: 50
Most Depressing - 4/4/2009 3:14:04 AM   
CaptMidnight

Why not SOPHIE'S CHOICE? That to me would be in the top 2.

Post #: 51
Death In Venice - 4/4/2009 9:13:13 AM   
stravers

Death in venice is the most depressing film i've ever seen and could hold it's own against any on your list.

Post #: 52
Empire, close but no cigar! - 4/4/2009 1:59:59 PM   
coppers

Yes, Requiem For A Dream is utterly depressing but what about London to Brighton, 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days and here is my no 1 most depressing movie of all time... Irréversible.

Post #: 53
- 4/4/2009 4:26:07 PM   
mozzy_gal

The Passion of the Christ.
That film would bring Bin Laden to his bloody knees!

Post #: 54
Sid and Nancy - 4/4/2009 5:23:16 PM   
paulmcdee

Christ, the downward spiral in that film just keeps going on and on...I was relieved when it ended. But depressed.

Post #: 55
Watership Down - 5/4/2009 12:07:09 AM   
meltbananastu

Sorry, but where the fuck is watership down? grave of the fireflies is an amazing film but for sheer well known depression and sadness watership down is the ultimate.

good list though, just cant understand why this has been left off it. seems a gimme...

Post #: 56
Funny Games? - 5/4/2009 1:06:47 AM   
R.M.Parker

Pulsewidth said:

"I saw FUNNY GAMES about 7 years ago during my first foray into world cinema, and my usually bouyant mood is still struggling to recover from it. This is a film that I felt was utterly pointless in its sadistic torments, and any film that blows a kid away with a shotgun (regardless of whether u see it or not) should be shoved straight back up the director's arse from whence it came. The ending where the 2 lads casually push the mother out of the boat with her hands and feet tied... well, nuff said."

First of all, the film is in no way depressing. Sadistic, yes. Disturbing, yes. Depressing? No. Funny Games is a brilliantly executed, transgressive film, commenting on cinema, the desires of the audience, on human behavior, and reality itself - and on top of that, it is funny. The nonchalant way that the two protagonists (because let's face it, they are the heroes of the film) push the woman out of the boat is fantastic, and brings a smile to my face every time I see it. Because it's a movie. It's fiction. And it's entertaining.

Secondly, Pulsewidth, what exactly should you shoot a child with if not a shotgun? They are a little over-used, sure, but they get the job done. To see a child harpooned in a movie might be entertaining, but they are so hard to explain in a household setting like in the one from Funny Games. Still, no points for originality on that one, Michael Hanaeke.

And finally, the list. Requiem is a great number one. I hate/love that movie, because it is depressing as all get out, but so well made. Love Liza is the one that depressed me the most, with Synecdoche New York coming in a close second (I couldn't stop thinking about my inevitable death for days on end). Still, it is a fine list. I look forward to seeing the few I have missed (that Winter Light sounds swell).

Post #: 57
Agree with Oriainarama... - 5/4/2009 2:56:02 AM   
fitter_than_affleck

Defo - Into The Wild, deserves to be on the list, an extremely sad film, and also a true story (extra kudos surely!). My other suggestions are In The Valley Of Elah - very bleak tale about the horror of war and its affects on troops, overwhelmingly relevant in this day & age....also Blood Diamond is pretty heavy stuff...anyone disagree/agree?

Post #: 58
- 5/4/2009 4:56:00 AM   
trippen_rodriguez

Million Dollar Baby, definitely. Requiem for A Dream, deserves to be in the tops of this list. Jared Leto's arm, is probably the most disturbing thing ive ever seen on a mans body. Blah. i think id also have to include Hotel Rwanda and American History X(you know the scenes) and also because of the ending.

Post #: 59
RE: The Top 10 Depressing Movies - 5/4/2009 11:52:59 AM   
movieluvva

My most depressing movies.....................
Turtles Can Fly, (this is the sort of movie that makes you want to slit your wrists)  Kurdish, orphaned children in a refugee camp, boy with no arms, his sister gang raped by Iraqi soldiers at age 12, pregnant as a result, resents the baby, who is blind.
Osama
Lilya 4 ever
The War Zone
Requiem For a Dream
Naked
21 grams
Happiness
House of Sand and Fog
Pixote

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI