Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Jameson Empire Award Winners Announced!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jameson Empire Award Winners Announced! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Jameson Empire Award Winners Announced! - 29/3/2009 8:15:09 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Shame - 29/3/2009 8:15:09 PM   
Ethanial

Don't think I voted for a single one of those.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 29/3/2009 8:19:43 PM   
Evil_Monkey25

What, no win for In Bruges?

I voted for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in the 'Best Horror' category... what a wag I am...

Post #: 3
yey - 29/3/2009 8:20:33 PM   
Albertine

Not even for the dark knight?

Post #: 4
RE: - 29/3/2009 8:22:17 PM   
Rinc

Terrible, absolutely terrible awards. What muppets voted for all those winners? I reckon the Empire staff are probably appalled by their own awards as well.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Evil_Monkey25)
Post #: 5
- 29/3/2009 8:35:17 PM   
Biggus

Good to see Viggo Mortensen win his award. Thoroughly deserved.

Post #: 6
- 29/3/2009 8:36:09 PM   
bleugh07

ok tdk was very good, but bale's wasn't the best performance of the year. it was good, but not incredible. mamma mia didn't have the best soundtrack, and quantum of solace wasn't the best thriller. no, these awards aren't very good

Post #: 7
RE: - 29/3/2009 9:04:36 PM   
mrlovett

Sooo glad Helena Bonham Carter won! She totally deserved it!

(in reply to bleugh07)
Post #: 8
Go Helena! - 29/3/2009 9:09:48 PM   
ladydisdain

Well done Helena! She deserved it! (though she picked the award up herself?)

Post #: 9
RE: Go Helena! - 29/3/2009 10:18:31 PM   
stuieboy

I can only guess that there was only one person voting for best British film and they accidently chose Rocknrolla because the thought of large collective group voting for it makes me very sad.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"

(in reply to ladydisdain)
Post #: 10
- 29/3/2009 11:51:26 PM   
Ace Rothstein

Quantum Of Solace is an abysmal film, how did that win best thriller? An already muddled and confused plot obfuscated by poorly edited, often superfluous and badly executed action sequences. I used to like the Empire awards when I was 14( Star Wars gets awards recognition!). But now I see them for what they are- juvenile and dominated by mainstream fare( yes, The Dark Knight is a good film but where is the appetite for indepedent cinema such as the artistic triumph or Hunger or the thrilling foreign language cinema with Gommorah?). These awards are dominated by the public, the very same people who gave Mickey from Doctor Who a BAFTA. Thus, it seems inevitable that the results are firmly in the mainstream conciousness yet lacking in any kind of original thought, wider appreciation of cinema or authentic artistry. What a dissapointment.

Post #: 11
RE: - 30/3/2009 1:53:24 AM   
somekindof_battery

To be honest, it's nice to see film awards that don't feel they have to hand everything out to the most 'important' film. At the end of the day, the vast majority of those films were good films and most likely the ones people are going to remember for years to come unlike most of the awards ceremony bate.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to Ace Rothstein)
Post #: 12
- 30/3/2009 8:07:08 AM   
steveg66

So what did Heath Ledger get then? You said he was going to get something and I haven't read anything here yet (admitidly there's a lot to read). Maybe Empire should have supporting actor/actress noms' in future. A visual fx would also go down well

Post #: 13
- 30/3/2009 8:13:31 AM   
steveg66

WTF! Someones buggering about with your website! Just gone to view the red carpet photos and there's a series of pics with ex-pres Jimmy Carter at some conference. April Fools is 2 days away yet! And I didn't vote for Jimmy Carter the first time round.

Post #: 14
RE: - 30/3/2009 11:01:49 AM   
optimus

Some terrible choices this year!

Christian Bale over Daniel Day Lewis? (I know Lewis wins a lot of actor awards but Bale's 'Big Boy voice' performance as Batman over that???)
Wanted over Iron Man? (One of the best pure superhero adaptations over a bastardized, if stylish, version of a blackly funny graphic novel?)
RocknRolla over In Bruges? (A Guy Ritchie re-run over something fairly original?)

I could go on. I should be appauled at other Empire readers for voting this way but I suspect that, like most awards ceremonies, a little rigging went on here to favour those who could actually attend the night and those who Empire wanted to remain 'matey' with for future exclusives.

Shame all round then!

(in reply to steveg66)
Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 30/3/2009 11:56:42 AM   
HarryCaul

Not a single one of my nominations won an award, not one.

Some terrible choices of winners in my opinion.

In Bruges was robbed for starters

Man, that made me come out of the wilderness for a bit that did....

(in reply to optimus)
Post #: 16
Quantum of Solace? - 30/3/2009 12:17:09 PM   
exandakane

I have no faith in Empire readers no more.

Post #: 17
Bond Best Thriller - 30/3/2009 12:51:41 PM   
dholleyuk

Shame about this - It was truely a bad film - did you check that all nominations were true - Empire shame on this award!

Post #: 18
RE: Bond Best Thriller - 30/3/2009 1:43:00 PM   
broonie

Eden Lake - Best horror - F*** right off, The Mist blew it out of the water, so to speak!
QOS - Best thriller - How could you present that award and keep a straight face? (Every other film in that category was superior.)
Gemma Arterton is a terrible actress IMO. Best newcomer???
Nothing for In Bruges, another piss take.

As for the rest, meh!

C'mon Empire readers, those are poor choices.

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

(in reply to dholleyuk)
Post #: 19
RocknRolla Best British Film? You're havin' a larf geezer! - 30/3/2009 1:46:37 PM   
C K Dexter Haven

Rocknrolla is forced and almost unwatchable in parts.
It's terrible.
Guy Ritchie must have been sleeping with someone famous to get all the kudos and attention he's got over the years/
D'oh.
I just got it.

Post #: 20
In Bruges - 30/3/2009 2:36:55 PM   
KingOfPop

Dammit...why this film always goes un-recognized? It's the best film of last year. I feel like In Bruges is the new Shawshank...in time it will become a true classic.
I'm a HUGE Bond fan but QOS...embarrasing...it was the most aticipated film for me, and what a let-down. Martin Campbell come back!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 21
RE: In Bruges - 30/3/2009 2:50:06 PM   
fiercehairdo

This is all a joke right??

Empire goes from bad to worse to depressingly, laughably ridiculous

(in reply to KingOfPop)
Post #: 22
RE: - 30/3/2009 2:59:03 PM   
fiercehairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ace Rothstein

Quantum Of Solace is an abysmal film, how did that win best thriller? An already muddled and confused plot obfuscated by poorly edited, often superfluous and badly executed action sequences. I used to like the Empire awards when I was 14( Star Wars gets awards recognition!). But now I see them for what they are- juvenile and dominated by mainstream fare( yes, The Dark Knight is a good film but where is the appetite for indepedent cinema such as the artistic triumph or Hunger or the thrilling foreign language cinema with Gommorah?). These awards are dominated by the public, the very same people who gave Mickey from Doctor Who a BAFTA. Thus, it seems inevitable that the results are firmly in the mainstream conciousness yet lacking in any kind of original thought, wider appreciation of cinema or authentic artistry. What a dissapointment.

Very well put. Totally agree.
Hunger in particular was an absolute highlight from last year that has been cruelly passed over at too many award ceremonies.
But the Empire awards are so mainstream it's embarrassing.

< Message edited by fiercehairdo -- 30/3/2009 3:00:03 PM >

(in reply to Ace Rothstein)
Post #: 23
Great Chocies! - 30/3/2009 3:13:48 PM   
joanna likes films

Wow! What a star-filled night! I am happy with the results and glad that RocknRolla won Best Brittish Film (just nearly finished it on Blu-Ray and loving every second of it!) Brilliant news for the Dark Knight and Qutuam of Solace, lots of hotties around like James Mcavoy, Christian Bale and even Gerard Butler! Ah, need to see the show on tv when it comes on!

Post #: 24
What an utter mess!!! - 30/3/2009 3:32:35 PM   
craig.maclellan

Best British film - RocknRolla??? Best Thriller - Quantum of Solace??? Best Sci-Fi - Wanted??? And of course, complete over flagulation of The Dark Knight.

Oh, and what the hell is Russell Crowe on at the moment?

Post #: 25
RE: RE: - 30/3/2009 3:36:13 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ace Rothstein

Very well put. Totally agree.
Hunger in particular was an absolute highlight from last year that has been cruelly passed over at too many award ceremonies.
But the Empire awards are so mainstream it's embarrassing.

oh geez - I appreciate the bashing I will get for having a Batman avatar then sticking up for the film in here but I thought The Dark Knight and Quanton of Solace were superb films and thouroughly deserving of their awards.

I think thier is a place for independent film obviously, but just because a film is a commercial success and rewarded for that success with awards does that make the commercial successfull film any worse? Is it a case of here that had The Dark Knight not made oodles of cash and won nothing yet Hunger made over a billion and won it all - you would be perhaps lamenting the lack of recognition for The Dark Knight instead? Were you one of those people pissing and moaning that Slumdog cleaned up at the Oscars?

The only thing I really disagree with out of the awards was Bonham Carter winning, The Orphanage and In Bruge not picking up thier categories.

Ps: Mickey from Doctor Who won it for superb performances in Adulthood - what does Dr. Who have to do with it? Does this mean that David Tennant can now not be laudid for a performance as he was in the same show?

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to fiercehairdo)
Post #: 26
Some good, some Bad - 30/3/2009 4:37:16 PM   
TheHazman

Dark Knight deserves every award it gets and more so no problems there. Quantam of solace was a load of crap and so was Wanted. Glad to see Rock n Rolla get a bit of recognition as it was a really entertaining film. So a bit of a mixed bag...

Post #: 27
Oh Come On!!!! - 30/3/2009 6:29:55 PM   
Barry

OK... I think there is an AWFUL lot to be said for Empire no longer putting the votes to its readers.

QOS was probably the worst Bond film in 25 years, and that's saying something, so to call it Best Thriller is a Joke.

Christian Bale as best actor? I mean, c'mon. We all loved The Dark Knight... But even in that film alone Caine, Ledger, Oldman and Eckhart were all better actors than him.

How did Dark Knight or Ironman not win best Sci-fi/Superhero? I mean, are we being really strict with the interpretation of what now constitutes a superhero?

Helen, Kim, WHOEVER, noble writers of Empire, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to write a blog on who you think either should have, or who you'd like to have seen, win those awards.

Some of the awards which have been handed out only serve to diminish Empire's respectability.

Post #: 28
RE: Oh Come On!!!! - 30/3/2009 8:00:09 PM   
DouglasG

Glad to see Son of Rambow won best comedy, its a lovely film.

Journalism Student and Film Festival Programmer

(in reply to Barry)
Post #: 29
RE: Oh Come On!!!! - 31/3/2009 2:27:09 AM   
montimer

I will overlook the fact that an Abba tribute album won best soundtrack, and concentrate my vitriol on the most fucked up award of all: Wanted winning best Superhero/Sci-fi.

In the same year that we were treated to Iron Man, Hell Boy II, The Dark Knight, The Hulk and a myriad of straight-to-dvd science fiction and comic book films that didn't even make it to the cinema, how is it that the worst, most vacuous, pointless and socially disturbing film of last year even made it to cinemas, let alone the sortlist of any awards.

I could pick wanted apart as a terrible adaptation, but that would ignore why it is terrible on it's own terms. Let's look at the basic premise: A group of super-powered sociopaths spend their time assassinating people on the whim of a giant loom. A fucking loom! When I heard the opening narration I initially thought I'd misheard the line about weavers. I am utterly amazed that somebody actually wrote this thing, having discarded a plot about supervillains for being too unbelieveable.

The story was dreadful, the effects were nothing special and the more than capable cast struggled with some of the worst lines written in the last few years, and yet you fucktards don't do the right thing and warn everyone off of this horrible excuse for a film, instead you give it an award. Over Iron Man. A film that was so enjoyable I was shaking with geeky delight all the way through. Fuck, The Dark Knight won best film and best director and yet it didn't even win it's own category.

Who voted for these things? I bet they're the cunts that sit and throw popcorn across the auditorium, or the same pricks who can't stop commentating on what's happening on screen.

Seriously guys. What the fuck?!

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Jameson Empire Award Winners Announced! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI