Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Thick of It - Series 4 starts Sat 8th Sep, BBC2, 9.45pm!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Thick of It - Series 4 starts Sat 8th Sep, BBC2, 9.45pm!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Thick of It - Series 4 starts Sat 8th Sep, BBC2, 9.... - 26/3/2009 11:13:48 AM   
Goodfella

I just did a search and was shocked to find no thread for 'The Thick Of It'. I watched a few trailers and read Empire's coverage of 'In The Loop' recently and was instantly keen to check out 'The Thick Of It'.

I'm a bit of a cynic and love satire, especially if it's politically-based. It also reminded me a little of 'The Office' in the way it was filmed and it's deadpan, firmly-in-reality set ideas and script. Well I'm hooked, I've been watching the first series on youtube and its bloody brilliant. Armando Iaunncci is most certainly a genius and I can't wait to see the film now, could very well be the best comedy of the year.

I know there's a Christmas special but is there a second series as well?

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 3/9/2012 10:10:59 PM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 11:23:20 AM   
elab49

The second series is a bit weird - the Xmas special was essentially in 3 parts. 2 parts of double length near each other at Xmas and then a 3rd from the Tory side shown a few month later. So it was kind of a second series. But not. So kind of weird!

I can reassure you you don't need to see it before you watch In the Loop, but I'd recommend it entirely for itself.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 26/3/2009 11:24:18 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 11:25:55 AM   
Goodfella

Yeah I know that In The Loop is a seperate entity, story wise but I'd love to watch the entire show before I go see the film, am I right in saying the film is out here on the 4 April?

I wonder how long there is before there is an American remake of this, or maybe there already is?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 11:30:11 AM   
elab49

There is a cast pilot up on IMDB but I think Iannucci said it fell through. It had some of the Spinal Tap people linked as well as the great Oliver Platt - a pilot I would love to get my hands on. But it didn't seem to get picked up.

IMDB shows 17th April.  I saw it at the Glasgow FIlm Festival and we'll be first in line to go see it again

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 11:34:32 AM   
Goodfella

Without giving too much away, it lives up to the hype then?

It's the perfect mix for me next month as I've also just fallen in love with another TV show, The Sopranos. So The Thick Of It's genre and setting, Iaunnci's writing and James Gandolfini. Perfect!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 12:00:39 PM   
elab49

I thought it was the funniest thing I'd seen in the cinema for a long time. ANd more than that - Malcolm is the main character taken across and they give Capaldi much much more to play with. He's one of my first choices for deserved acting acknowledgments at your end.

quote:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 2:08:34 PM   
Goodfella

Malcolm Tucker is a great character but my personal favourite from the TV series is Hugh Abbott.

"I'm just human. I need to eat, sleep and occasionally take a dump. What are we going to do next? Put that on the evening news! Outside number ten, hey Mr Abbott how was your shit!?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 4:11:42 PM   
Goodfella

Tucker's Scottish aide is a cracker as well -

"Ah Julius. What proposals have you got for us today? How's about a ban on sandcastles?"

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 8
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 5:07:28 PM   
elab49

Jamie is the only other character to follow into the film (I've seen several stories including Ianucci saying it himself in a piece saying it is only Malcolm but it isn't. Unless the new character is also called Jamie, has the same job as Jamie and the same attitude as Jamie!).

quote:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 5:25:27 PM   
Goodfella

I've read a few interview with Iaunacci where he says he doesn't want this to be seen as The Thick Of It: The Movie but hopes it will be loved by the TV series fans and also attract a new generation of them which I think it has the very potential to do. James Gandolfini's involvement could see it do quite well Stateside but its early days yet.

Is there going to be a third series of the show do you know elab?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 5:26:51 PM   
elab49

I thought the stuff without Langham worked just as well - and the Tory side with Roger Allam was inspired. Maybe if the film does well?

quote:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 11
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 26/3/2009 5:29:19 PM   
Goodfella

The film could certainly open up many avenues for Iaunacci. I would love to a fresh, new satire TV show or film from him. The snippet in Empire's script notes this month made me rinse myself so I cannot wait for In The Loop!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 27/3/2009 10:39:32 PM   
punchdrunk

I found myself wanting the politicians to get away with it, which is strange after seeing so much sleaze in both tories then labour I hoped that Malcom wouldn't find out...but then was glad he did with some great shouting and smart swearing. 

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 13
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 27/3/2009 11:30:58 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Love it. Peter Capaldi has surely turned swearing and insults into an artform.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 14
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 28/3/2009 12:30:53 AM   
Goodfella

I've just started watching the second series with Rise of the Nutters: The Christmas Special. I think it's absolutely brilliant, no doubt it takes some inspiration from The Office but it doesn't set out to be over-the-top funny yet has had me in stitches all the way through. Also the way the writing has captured politicians bevhaviour in front of the TV cameras is absolutely remarkable.

I cannot wait for the film!

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 15
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 29/3/2009 9:51:06 PM   
nutteronabus

Techincally the second series is the last three episodes of the first series, as they were shown a few months apart. The logic was that if they could make three episodes for the money they were given for a pilot, the BBC would probably just go ahead and commision another three.

Series three is currently being developed, with eight new expected to hit screens in late 2009/early 2010. It's been rumoured that the government will have been voted out, and Tucker will subsequently be devoid of power. That can only be unpleasant, and should make for some fantastic viewing.

“You think you’re so cultured because you’ve gone to see Cats? You pampered upper-class drug-taking bitch!”

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 16
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 12/4/2009 3:00:33 PM   
Goodfella

Anybody see the interviews with Tom Hollander and Armando Iaunacci on BBC News the other day? They're still writing the third series but expect it to be broadcast around Autumn time and it looks like Hollander's film character is going to replace Chris Langham's Hugh Abbott.

Anyone seen 'In The Loop' yet, I'm going to see it on Friday?

(in reply to nutteronabus)
Post #: 17
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 13/4/2009 11:20:58 PM   
Boring Prophet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Anyone seen 'In The Loop' yet, I'm going to see it on Friday?

I dunno, are you?

I may go on Friday as well

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 18
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 13/4/2009 11:28:47 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

Anybody see the interviews with Tom Hollander and Armando Iaunacci on BBC News the other day? They're still writing the third series but expect it to be broadcast around Autumn time and it looks like Hollander's film character is going to replace Chris Langham's Hugh Abbott.

I didn't there's going to be another series. Decent.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 19
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 14/4/2009 9:06:35 AM   
elab49

I did, but I didn't know they were keeping Hollander. Any choice we get to keep the excellent Gina McKee as well?

quote:

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 20
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 16/4/2009 6:03:30 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

I didn't there's going to be another series. Decent.

Neither did I. Ianucci usually tends to move on from projects a bit quicker.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 21
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 16/4/2009 8:28:15 AM   
elab49

Rise of the Nutters etc is getting repeated on BBC4 next week for anyone who missed them.

quote:

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 22
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 9:50:08 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I did, but I didn't know they were keeping Hollander. Any choice we get to keep the excellent Gina McKee as well?

Really, I'm happy there keeping Hollander but am not a massive fan of Gina McKee.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 10:05:27 AM   
Reidy

Just watched this over the last week. Excellent stuff. Malcolm and Jamie are a brilliant combination.

But of course, 'In the Loop' comes nowhere near my nearest cinema.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 24
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 10:07:49 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

Really, I'm happy there keeping Hollander but am not a massive fan of Gina McKee.

I liked having a character of that sort that stood up to Malcolm, was clearly intelligent, committed but found much of what they had to deal with exasperatingly funny. It might be the first competent character not entirely motivated by self-interest we've had in the show!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 21/4/2009 10:08:37 AM >

quote:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 25
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 10:14:20 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

I liked having a character of that sort that stood up to Malcolm, was clearly intelligent, committed but found much of what they had to deal with exasperatingly funny. It might be the first competent character not entirely motivated by self-interest we've had in the show!

She struck me as a character who was happy in the job she had, but didn't really care all that much about being an "insider". A lot of the time she is see doing stuff that has nothing to do with work. Nearly every other character is desperatley looking to keep their job, be promoted, or be kept "In the Loop".

Pretty much the best sort of civil servent.

Also I was slightly attracted to her. Is that wrong?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 10:16:23 AM   
Goodfella

I presume they're sticking with the Michael/Toby crew then and not reverting to the Glen/Olly crew then, especially considering Chris Langham won't be returning?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 10:18:33 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I presume they're sticking with the Michael/Toby crew then and not reverting to the Glen/Olly crew then, especially considering Chris Langham won't be returning?

I'm guessing so. Since they are pretty much the same people I would guess a name change isn't a big deal. Although I do have to wonder, given what happened at the end of the movie, what direction they are going to take it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 28
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 10:23:45 AM   
Goodfella

Well they've started writing it already and it's due for an Autumn release so they must have had the ideas in the mind whilst completing editing on the film as well. I wonder whether there's any chance of a few cameos from James Gandolfini.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 29
RE: The Thick Of It Appreciation Thread - 21/4/2009 10:26:15 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Well they've started writing it already and it's due for an Autumn release so they must have had the ideas in the mind whilst completing editing on the film as well. I wonder whether there's any chance of a few cameos from James Gandolfini.

Well if they are using the Tom Hollinder character then I doubt it. I'm thinking it will be a much smaller scale piece. Really, as long as Tucker (and Jamie) is around then its all good.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Thick of It - Series 4 starts Sat 8th Sep, BBC2, 9.45pm!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI