Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Total Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Total Film Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:10:44 PM   
bobatim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommypocket

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

So basically what were saying here is 'Michael Bay can't direct and dumb models can't act'? Fucking shock horror!!

I think it stems beyond that. Poor direction and shitty acting can easily be overlooked in a film of this ilk, but what we're talking about here extends further in to darker, morally dubious areas. It's Right-wing propoganda, with a really fucked up attitude towards some of the most distressing things in America's history. It has a nasty undertone, I really don't trust its intentions. Granted, this may sound a tad hyperbolic, but I don't want to be too clear in what I'm saying for fear of spoiling anything. But yes, its a mess of a film.

A tad hyperbolic indeed.

Like I said, hyperbole was necessary so that I didn't refer to anything to explicitly, for fear of ruining things for anyone that might actually want to see it. I was being conscientious.

Haven't seen the film yet but I'm taking your review with a huge amount of salt - in particular the final paragraph:

"Which leads me to my final, most damning point. At one point in the film, Bay evokes the image of the "falling man”, one of the key visual images of the events of 9/11, as a gang of US Army 'grunts' skydive across a semi-post-apocalyptic skyline. Crass doesn't even begin to cover it, with the sequence unforgivable insensitive and a new low for Bay. It's exploitative nonsense of the highest order, and not at all hyperbolic to suggest that it reaches a level of vile thus far unequalled in the 21st century mainstream cinema."

Sorry, but this is ridiculous - this is proper tabloid journalism; putting 2 and 2 together to make 5 in the interest of making a hyperbolic, outraged point. Just becasue an image 'reminds' you of something doesn't mean it's offensive. A dozen men skydiving past a sky-scraper is a world away from the 'falling man' - the documentary of that 'story' in itself was a crass piece of exploitative journalism, singling out one victim from thousands and then scrutinsing and hypothesising over his final actions. Making a link to this just proves you're searching for these things.

There may well be right-wing, pro-military content in this film (hell, I expect it from Bay), but making the above point your over-riding summary completely negates the validity of your prior argument I'm afraid.

I refused to read the full review and was right to do so.

Totally agree with you tommypocket. Get a grip man you are the exactly the same as how you are portraying the filmakers and I quote "fucked up attitude towards some of the most distressing things in America's history"

Do you really hate Bay that much or do you have the same opinion of all films post 9/11 with burning buildings, collapsing skyscrapers, crashing planes, skydivers ???

Yes Bay might have put all the above in, infact i'm sure he has but then it is a massive battle in a city in a film about warring alien robots !

You see where Im going with this ?

Worst. Post. Ever.

How can you presume to criticise a review if you won't even read it all? For all you know, the above excerpts may have been taken completely out of context. Also, how can you defend a film if you haven't even seen it yet? Adambatman82 has, and he has criticised it based on what he felt the imagery represented. A fairly well informed opinion I'd say. Also without seeing it how can you say he's wrong? Yes, there have been plenty of films featuring skydiving, falling buildings and innercity battles, but how do you know without seeing these particular scenes in this particular film that on this occasion they aren't reflective of 09/11. The answer is you don't.

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 211
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:12:05 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

This should be fun...

I've been taking abuse from hysterical fanboys for the last 24 hours now, these two are nothing. The old "give them enough rope" saying comes to mind.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 212
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:15:44 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I refused to read the full review and was right to do so.

Ha ha ha, good for you mate, stick it to the man by taking bits out of context and acting all hysterical! Good for you.

On a serious note, that sentence dictates that no one will take you seriously at all for the rest of this discussion. You've just admitted that you're moaning about a review that you haven't read of a film that you haven't seen. That'll really show them who's boss.

Post #: 213
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:20:34 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Whos a fanboy ?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 214
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:22:14 PM   
Dirk Miggler

And who is the man by the way ?

Post #: 215
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:25:08 PM   
bobatim

I think I love Dirk Miggler!

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

Post #: 216
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:48:25 PM   
MonsterCat

Reasons to dislike Michael Bay's Movies No. 345 - They cause a lot of misplaced outrage on forums.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 217
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 6:55:41 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Whos a fanboy ?

You're the one acting like one. That is to say that you're hysterical over a review that you haven't read, of a film that you haven't seen. Blinkered doesn't even begin to cover it.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 27/6/2011 6:58:45 PM >

Post #: 218
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 7:01:32 PM   
Ghidorah

Am I one of the unlucky few who watched trash like Bad Boys 2, Revenge of the Fallen, The Island and Pearl Harbour? Surely anyone who watched one of these especially Revenge of the Fallen, know full well Bay can screw up.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 219
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 7:09:04 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

Am I one of the unlucky few who watched trash like Bad Boys 2, Revenge of the Fallen, The Island and Pearl Harbour? Surely anyone who watched one of these especially Revenge of the Fallen, know full well Bay can screw up.

Thats what makes this all the more baffling. People are acting like I've insulted the pope! Bay is a hack of the highest order, plain and simple.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 220
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 7:40:45 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

I actually quite liked The Island and I really didn't mind Pearl Harbor and the first Transformers - shite though they may have been. I generally quite enjoy Bay's films but I actually hated the 2 sequels he's made that I've seen to date. Somehow though I find myself drawn to see Dark Of The Moon. It's just a morbid curiosity to see how shite it can be.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 221
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 8:17:16 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

I actually quite liked The Island and I really didn't mind Pearl Harbor and the first Transformers - shite though they may have been. I generally quite enjoy Bay's films but I actually hated the 2 sequels he's made that I've seen to date. Somehow though I find myself drawn to see Dark Of The Moon. It's just a morbid curiosity to see how shite it can be.

I maybe too harsh on The Island but I just wanted to make the point Bay has problems telling stories. He is normally very good when it comes to action except Bad Boys 2 and the final battle in Transformers 2. However it doesn't change the fact the drama or the plot of his movies can be very weak. His best movie was the Rock and it had a semi serious tone. Sean Connery unofficially returns as a retired James Bond and Cage being a nerd with a gun.

End of the day while I do consider Transformers 1 as a perfect Blockbuster but there no denying it had flaws. Transformers 2 on the other hand is awful. Transformer 3 could go either way and I am not going to risk it.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 222
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 8:25:10 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

Whos a fanboy ?

You're the one acting like one. That is to say that you're hysterical over a review that you haven't read, of a film that you haven't seen. Blinkered doesn't even begin to cover it.

I would say it is you who are being hysterical, one only has to read your review (which i have now read), your statements prior to posting it and proceeding it.
Im neither bothered for Bay or Transformers 3, the first was ok the second, shite !! A fanboy I most certainly am not, your statements seemed to be too over analytical and as you say hyperbolic for what is essentially a kids sci-fi film.

Post #: 223
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 8:36:38 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I would say it is you who are being hysterical, one only has to read your review (which i have now read), your statements prior to posting it and proceeding it.
Im neither bothered for Bay or Transformers 3, the first was ok the second, shite !! A fanboy I most certainly am not, your statements seemed to be too over analytical and as you say hyperbolic for what is essentially a kids sci-fi film.

Serious question: have you seen the film?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 224
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 8:57:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

I wondered how long it would be before that line was rolled out. Being made for kids is no excuse, and besides, the dozens of pieces of hate mail that I've received today were certainly not from children.

What prior statements are you referring to? I was cautiously optimistic going in, for the very reasons outlined in the review; Bay claimed to be holding back on the "dorky" humour (his word not mine), and I'd heard that the 3D was spectacular. Unfortunately only the latter proved true. There was no mention whatsoever on the site about my feelings towards T3 before I saw it. Likewise with Empire Online. Aside from a couple of tweets bemoaning having to get up so early on a Sunday morning, and one which, curiously enough stated "Don't tell anyone, but I'm secretly excited" there was no other mention of T3 until after I had seen the film.

Post #: 225
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 8:59:30 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

I liked The Island too, at least on theatrical viewing. Didn't quite work for me on DVD. I like The Rock too, and Armageddon isn't bad, in spite of the casual racism, right wing undertones and copious amounts of cheese.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 226
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 8:59:48 PM   
MonsterCat

Transformers 2 was a "kids sci-fi" film and that didn't stop it from being a big bucket of sexist wrong.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 227
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 9:38:52 PM   
Scott_

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-buzz-transformers-dark-moon/

Some more reviews there. Mostly positive. Can't wait to see it for myself, Bay is all sorts of awesome.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 228
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 9:49:52 PM   
MonsterCat

Seems to be getting some genuinely decent buzz. Fair enough.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 229
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 10:11:04 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Seems to be getting some genuinely decent buzz. Fair enough.

Currently sitting at 64% on Rotten Tomatoes, with 7 fresh reviews out of 11. Interestingly tho both of the "Top Critic" reviews slated it. Most British critics only saw the film tonight, with the consensus from Twitter split down the middle. I predict a sea of three star reviews, down to 2 when the DVD hits.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 27/6/2011 10:13:53 PM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 230
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 10:35:09 PM   
Spaldron

Yeah I noticed most of the positive reviews came from tabloids and/or SFX type magazines/film sites, mainly focusing all the positives on the action and 3D CGI. Harry Knowles barely mentioned the story at all, just went on about how awesome everything looked which pretty much sums up what his idea of a good film is.

I shouldn't be so presumptuous on a film I haven't seen yet though...

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 27/6/2011 10:37:05 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 231
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 10:40:18 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

Harry Knowles barely mentioned the story at all, just went on about how awesome everything looked which pretty much sums up what his idea of a good film is.

Yeah, and on that note I'm completely with him. The 3D looks spectacular (it impressed me more than Avatar), and the effects are great. I actually think the scenes of devastation are really quite something too, but we don't get an opportunity to spend any time taking it all in, as the film is cut so quickly. Its the same issue with the scope of the picture; unlike something like the LOTR series we aren't given the opportunity to consider it properly, its seemingly all thrown together with no care or understanding of how films work. From a technical perspective Bay hits every note, its the other areas that are lacking.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 232
RE: Total Film - 27/6/2011 11:41:17 PM   
Rebenectomy

Can I just remind everyone that this isn't the review thread and still under the title 'Future Films'. If you are copying and pasting, or discussing reviews from elsewhere, please ensure that they are clearly spoiler marked.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 233
- 28/6/2011 7:00:04 AM   
theonering

Is empire actually going to review this film or what?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 234
RE: Total Film - 28/6/2011 8:49:47 AM   
grucl

quote:

quote:

quote:

I liked The Island too, at least on theatrical viewing. Didn't quite work for me on DVD. I like The Rock too, and Armageddon isn't bad, in spite of the casual racism, right wing undertones and copious amounts of cheese.

Didn't The Island also have a sequence of 2 people falling down from a skyscraper?

Post #: 235
RE: Total Film - 28/6/2011 10:00:48 AM   
The Hooded Man

A mate, who's a huge Transformers buff, saw it last night and said it was more or less exactly the same as the other films only the action scenes were a lot better.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 236
RE: Total Film - 28/6/2011 10:54:42 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

Didn't The Island also have a sequence of 2 people falling down from a skyscraper?

My comments re- the falling man, were due to the specific nature of the scene in T3. It looks just like it, and thats what I thought of.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 28/6/2011 11:02:36 AM >

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 237
RE: Total Film - 28/6/2011 11:19:53 AM   
adambatman82

Chris's Empire review will be up within the hour. If its what I think it is then I'm gonna avoid the reviews forum for a while...

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 238
Transformers 3 - 28/6/2011 11:37:42 AM   
velvet

If its as good as 1 and 2, itl b great. Transformers 1 was brill, i thought Revenge of the Fallen was really good too, cant wait to c 3.
If people didnt like 1 and 2, doubt theyl like 3.
Gona c Green Lantern on Thurs, is it worth watchn in 3D?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 239
RE: Transformers 3 - 28/6/2011 11:40:24 AM   
primebhoy

Off to see it on fri night at the glasgow IMAX, im looking forward too it, tho same can be said when I seen ROTF. If its better than ROTF but worse than TF1 i'll be a happy man.

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to velvet)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Total Film Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI