Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Parks and Recreation

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Parks and Recreation Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Parks and Recreation - 17/3/2009 10:21:30 PM   
Joedini

quote:

From Emmy Award-winning executive producers Greg Daniels (NBC’s "The Office," "King of the Hill") and Michael Schur (NBC’s "The Office," "Saturday Night Live") comes a new mockumentary that looks at the exciting world of local government. The new half-hour comedy will examine the mundane but necessary ways that people interact with their government, and ask why it's frequently so complicated -- as everyone knows from standing in line at the DMV, applying for home construction permits, or trying to get the city to fix a pothole. The documentary cameras follow Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler, NBC’s "Saturday Night Live," "Baby Mama") a mid-level bureaucrat in the Parks and Recreation Department of Pawnee, Indiana. In an attempt to beautify her town -- and advance her career -- Leslie takes on what should be a fairly simple project: help local nurse Ann Perkins (Rashida Jones, NBC’s "The Office," "Unhitched") turn an abandoned construction pit into a community park. Opposing them are defensive bureaucrats, selfish neighbors, real estate developers, and single-issue fanatics -- whose weapons are lawsuits, the jumble of city codes, and the very democratic process that Leslie loves so much. Leslie is alternately helped and undermined by her colleague, Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari, "Human Giant," "Scrubs"), who cheerfully exploits his government position for personal gain. She is also thwarted by her boss Ron Swanson, who is philosophically opposed to government in any form. Helping Leslie and Ann navigate the Pawnee bureaucracy is charismatic city planner Mark Brendanawicz, whose outlook has been soured by 15 years of public service. If they can pull it off, Leslie hopes that she also will have inspired her uninterested college intern April (Aubrey Plaza, "Mayne Street") and April's whole generation – all the while moving one step closer to her ultimate goal: becoming the first female president of the United States. "Parks and Recreation" is a production of Deedle-Dee Productions and Universal Media Studios. Along with Daniels and Schur, Howard Klein also serves as executive producer for the series.

While I am slightly intrigued by this it's going to have to do something good to detract from the fact it seems like the Office but in a different setting.

Although, it does have Karen Fillipelli in it
Post #: 1
RE: Parks and Recreation - 17/3/2009 10:35:47 PM   
elab49

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024155/

All I've thought of since I heard the change in story direction for this. Not that anyone over there has probably heard of it!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 2
RE: Parks and Recreation - 17/3/2009 10:43:18 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

All I've thought of since I heard the change in story direction for this. Not that anyone over there has probably heard of it!

Never heard of it

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Parks and Recreation - 17/3/2009 10:49:54 PM   
elab49

Actually, it probably didn't show down south. It was billed as the new series from the Chewin the Fat people (ish).

Cult TV fans might be interested, because I was completely stunned - there is an older gentleman in it (bit of a jobsworth manager). But when he was young and attractive he was the star of cult favourite Ace of Wands

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065269/

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 4
RE: Parks and Recreation - 2/5/2009 5:06:51 PM   
elab49

I was sure this was here but the first time I tried search I got bubkus (That can't be the right spelling can it?). I've added it up top.

I agree the Office had problems first season, but I do put that down to using the original scripts and it just didn't work properly.

This is new writing down to them so the problem can't be the same?

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Parks and Recreation - 3/5/2009 4:03:39 PM   
Grunny

I like this show, i found it very funny in the second episode when she returned back to find them all playing rock band and the intern was just froze mid drumming with a tea towel on her head. made me giggle

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 6
RE: Parks and Recreation - 3/5/2009 6:30:07 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I enjoyed the first episode. It's much more satirical in tone than The Office. Amy Poehler is always worth watching too.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 7
RE: Parks and Recreation - 3/5/2009 6:53:04 PM   
Neth

It seems to be struggling a bit in its efforts to step out of the gargantuan shadow of The Office, but NBC have just picked up the remainder of the season, so hopefully it'll have more time to find its feet. It's got a great ensemble of comedy actors - especially Aziz Ansari and Chris Pratt, and frankly I'll watch the gorgeous Rashida Jones in anything...

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 8
RE: Parks and Recreation - 3/5/2009 7:01:25 PM   
Grunny

hmmm Rashida Jones i love her.

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 9
RE: Parks and Recreation - 3/5/2009 7:41:59 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I've heard of it.
P&C was originally commissioned as a spin off to The Office, hence the documentary style filming, similarities between Leslie and Michael Scott, etc. I think the show would benefit from changing the doc style, maybe to distance itself from the shadow of The Office. It definately has the potential to be a great show, especially with such a good cast, if they keep it as satirical as the pilot was (a review I read compared it to the films of Alexander Payne and the books of Tom Perrotta - a favourite of mine).

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Parks and Recreation - 3/5/2009 11:19:28 PM   
The Mighty

The show has been improving every week, which is definitely a good sign. I thought this weeks episode was by far the best one, and I'm liking the characters more and more each week. The Office and 30 Rock had weaker starts IMO.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 11
RE: Parks and Recreation - 28/4/2010 10:29:22 PM   
MI Cruise

just wanted to ask has this show been picked up by any UK channel yet?

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 12
RE: Parks and Recreation - 30/4/2010 7:19:59 PM   
Ethanial

Every episode seems to top the last one, this week's, wow. Been too long, but jeez, the final 5 minutes were some brilliant stuff, I firmly adore Aubrey Plaza.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 13
RE: Parks and Recreation - 25/2/2011 10:27:42 PM   
Captain Black

I'm something of a late convert to this, but this opening batch of episodes from the third season has just been superb - top to bottom the cast is just superb (I wasn't too sure about Rob Lowe's character at first, but the more he gets scenes with differing members of the cast it works better as he's more integrated), and the thing I appreicate about it most is that it's a really good hearted comedy series.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 14
RE: Parks and Recreation - 26/2/2011 2:00:28 AM   
furrybastard

It's great. Best US comedy around, if you ask me. Better than The Office and 30 Rock! 

One wonders what NBC are going to do when these four shows (Community being the fourth) end, they're pretty much the only thing worth watching on that network these days. Hell, even 30 Rock are regularly taking shots at 'em!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 15
RE: Parks and Recreation - 5/5/2011 9:48:37 PM   
Captain Black

Slightly belated response but: they're the only things worth watching, but sadly they're still not watched by a large audience. I'm optimistic that Parks will get a fourth year, as it still does okay in the 18-49 demo.

I'm going to catch up with the episodes I've not seen once this season has ended, but I think the show has that almost Simpsons in its prime quality where it's expanding its cast of supporting characters - the Ya' Heard? With Perd segment this week with just amazing: "Are centaurs real?".

And really they've just been on such a roll with the quality of the episodes. I keep thinking they have to have at least one off week, but each time they produce something that's simply top quality.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 16
RE: Parks and Recreation - 5/5/2011 10:31:28 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Slightly belated response but: they're the only things worth watching, but sadly they're still not watched by a large audience. I'm optimistic that Parks will get a fourth year, as it still does okay in the 18-49 demo.

It's already been renewed mate

Post #: 17
RE: Parks and Recreation - 5/5/2011 10:37:04 PM   
Captain Black

Heh yeah, I know, I meant fifth. It's got two shortened seasons now (I think we get 16 episodes this year) so that small part of my brain that does 'adding' sometimes thinks there's one less once I factor in the total number of episodes.

I love this:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 18
RE: Parks and Recreation - 6/5/2011 12:03:19 AM   
Bickle

I love this. Recently watched every episode. The first season is a little slow but the second (and third so far) season is absolutely fantastic. Andy has become perhaps my favourite character whereas he was a bit more one-dimensional in the first season. Ron is king and Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope is brilliant.

< Message edited by Bickle -- 6/5/2011 12:05:29 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Parks and Recreation - 6/5/2011 7:45:00 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I bloody love this show. Ron Swanson is just about the best sitcom character ever. My avatar is his reaction to L'il Sebastian being brought into the office...just a brilliant moment.

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 20
RE: Parks and Recreation - 6/5/2011 5:51:14 PM   
Captain Black

He's got this other amazing reaction at the end of that episode too when he sort of claps with each hand when Li'l Sebastian is on stage. One of the things that makes Swanson such a great character is that he's basically a fairly upbeat guy; it'd be quite easy to make someone with some of his personality traits kind of a condescending asshole, but he's quite the opposite - like in the healthy grain store where he's more bemused by the other people shopping there than anything else.

This is almost surreal in how it breaks down the boundaries between character and actor - check out the boat building bit. I'd watch a series where he built a boat as Ron Swanson.
http://offermanwoodshop.com/

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 21
RE: Parks and Recreation - 6/5/2011 6:50:28 PM   
MI Cruise

And still no UK channel has picked this show up, what the hell? I really wanna watch it

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

Post #: 22
RE: Parks and Recreation - 12/5/2011 6:01:58 PM   
pedros

Started watching this on Saturday and am halfway through the second series already. Whilst it's not quite as good as The Office in its heyday, it's still great and consistently hilarious.

And I think I'm in love with April.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 23
RE: Parks and Recreation - 15/5/2011 5:01:13 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

My avatar is *literally* the funniest scene in any comedy ever.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 24
RE: Parks and Recreation - 15/5/2011 6:10:27 PM   
Captain Black

That was amazing - I had to replay that bit straight away as my brain could not process what I'd just seen. I think it's Ron wearing April's hat that puts it over the edge.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 25
RE: Parks and Recreation - 20/5/2011 10:58:04 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Season 3 is done - and it was easily one of the funniest and most consistent seasons of a sitcom I've ever seen. Every single episode was excellent. There's several great U.S comedies - Community, Cougar Town, Modern Family and 30 Rock being my favourites - but Parks and Rec is easily the best of the bunch. So much heart, so much funny. And Ron f'n Swanson.

Post #: 26
RE: Parks and Recreation - 21/5/2011 4:25:24 AM   
shanyi

Only started watching P&R this season, but quickly fell in love with it. It's without doubt the most consistently hysterical and touching program in production today. 'April & Andy's Fancy Party' is the single best episode of anything this year, although Community's 'A Fistful of Paintballs' put up a late fight. Exceptional. Also, Ron Swanson.

As usual, I wrote a review of the two finale episodes on my blog. However, for those who don't want to click through, here are two paragraphs that sums up my feelings pretty well:

"Befitting a series that has maintained such a ridiculously high standard all season, the two episodes of Parks & Rec's third season ended the year on a high, despite my continuing to struggle with the Leslie/Ben relationship at the heart of both of them.
Luckily, these are such strongly written, vibrant characters that one such misstep doesn't have a major impact on how much enjoyment can be had from watching from them interact. Even if I can't get invested in them as a couple, Leslie and Ben are so clearly defined as people and hold such important positions in the comic makeup of the cast that the fact they're together - albeit not-so-secretly - just creates another permutation for the writers to play around with. The precise details of why don't matter any more than they do for why Tom and Andy ended up taking an assignment on the wonderfully deranged fourth floor ("Tell Mort I said 'your move'"): it's just an excuse to pair the two up and see what happens, even if in this case the excuse doesn't feel like a great one. Thankfully, the results are as strong as ever."

LATEST FROM MY BLOG

Green Lantern review

Kung-Fu Panda 2 review

X-Men First Class review

Post #: 27
RE: Parks and Recreation - 22/5/2011 10:54:56 AM   
Captain Black

Wanna rock out to 5000 Candles In The Wind and relive the Li'l Sebastian memorial? Well ask, and ye shall receive:

http://www.scarecrowboat.com/downloads.shtml

And now our speculation as to who will play Tammy I over the summer can now begin. There's an interview with the creators over on HitFix (just go to the TV section and What's Alan Watching), and they said Nick Offerman suggested doing it himself in drag, which would be great, but it might be a tad gimmicky.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to shanyi)
Post #: 28
RE: Parks and Recreation - 22/6/2011 9:22:13 PM   
Captain Black

Invisiotext:

Post #: 29
RE: Parks and Recreation - 11/7/2011 11:04:52 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Ron Swanson loves his food!

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 11/7/2011 11:05:26 AM >

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Parks and Recreation Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI