Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 16/7/2009 8:12:47 AM   
juanvasquez

I downloaded the trial of Madballs last night. Shit. No where near as fun as the old toys!

Downloaded Tour De France but haven't had a go on that yet.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 211
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 17/7/2009 1:36:23 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle
My apologies had I know I would have called you a fucking waster instead of a fucking philestine .

Thanks. I may have no job but I've got standards and good taste...

quote:

but have found myself pressing the back button and using the old style inventory when I have to perform an action. T'is much easier, but then again it's pretty much ingrained into my brain. At some point I'll have to get used to using the d-pad I guess but at the moment I'm actually enjoying the seamless transition from old school to HD and back

Three hours in and I am still doing that. The D-Pad is terrible. I don't know what happend to that redesigned Xbox 360 pad with new D-Pad. Maybe it just did not make it here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle That something is me and my damned amazing memory. Granted I'm only about an hour into the game but I remember everything.

I have to say I think once you clock games like this and replay them you forget all the fustration you went through when you first played them. When you go through them again you may forget the odd puzzle but for the most part you breeze through enjoying the game.

Playing through now for the first time I have enjoyed it. But there are some fustrating aspects of the game. Despite the new look it does show it's age and the limitations of point and click games.Though it's to be expected.

I'm three hours in and just completed the first of the three trials. That was not too bad and pretty entertaining as I had a lot to discover. I also had a good idea of what I wanted to do from the off. Now however I've pretty much explored everywhere I can go and had all the conversations I can. I know what I need to get but there is little else I have to interact with and not a clue where I get what I need. So it's pretty boring traveling to and fro and not being able to speak to most characters trying trial and error to get things done.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 17/7/2009 1:38:52 AM >

Post #: 212
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 17/7/2009 1:36:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

My apologies had I know I would have called you a fucking waster instead of a fucking philestine .

Gah, I knew I should have used the winking smilie so it didn't look like I was mocking you. No offence intended fella t'was just a bit of banter.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 213
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 17/7/2009 1:44:57 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gah, I knew I should have used the winking smilie so it didn't look like I was mocking you. No offence intended fella t'was just a bit of banter.

Oh no don't worry mate I didn't take it to heart at all. No apologies needed.

I'm progressing with the game (Monkey Island) nicely now. There was just one item I just could not seem to get my hands on but now  it's moving on well.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 17/7/2009 1:54:24 PM >

Post #: 214
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 17/7/2009 3:08:42 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

About 4 hours to get through it which puts nearly puts it on par with what some Mag ran Resident Evil 5 in.

Now for the speed run.  

I'll post my time on the Monkey Thread if anyone is up for a bit of friendly competition.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 17/7/2009 3:09:33 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 215
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 21/7/2009 12:08:57 PM   
pablodiabloescobar

splosion man out tomorrow - 800 points

looks quite fun and the reviews seem positive so it looks like a certain purchase, after a good look at the trial game of course

Rapture
Waiting to capture that moment
Postponement
Suspension of rational movement
So bang on the hour of twelve
To the forest clearing we'll delve
With guns to our heads for we know
That heaven awaits us

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 216
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 21/7/2009 12:15:13 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablodiabloescobar

splosion man out tomorrow - 800 points

looks quite fun and the reviews seem positive so it looks like a certain purchase, after a good look at the trial game of course

Indeed I read the IGN review and it does sound good. http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/100/1005157p1.html

This paragraph sold it to me

quote:

This is essentially a platformer, as you spend the entire time running and jumping. But you'll have to do some thinking to figure out a way past the game's many challenges, adding a heavy puzzle element to 'Splosion Man. Not every obstacle is a test of wits -- many are old-fashioned platforming tests of reflexes and skill. If you're a fan of N+, definitely check this one out. The core mechanics are similar, but 'Splosion Man takes the idea much farther and expands upon it.

I love N+ so I will give the demo a go for sure. It's 800 points too compared to a lot of the other new games. So I may go for this and wait for Turtles in Time considering that is just the old game revamped and I could play somthing quite different instead.

(in reply to pablodiabloescobar)
Post #: 217
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 22/7/2009 8:42:51 AM   
Sleazy

had a splurge last night and bought Battlefield:1943, Monkey island and Worms 2.

I also tried Shinobi, I must be getting old cos I was enjoying it till the boss fight which was all of a sudden bastard hard.

Whilst we're on, I also tried Sonic 3. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that not just Sonic & Knuckles? Wasnt Sonic 3 isometric?

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 218
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 22/7/2009 6:14:55 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

had a splurge last night and bought Battlefield:1943, Monkey island and Worms 2.

I also tried Shinobi, I must be getting old cos I was enjoying it till the boss fight which was all of a sudden bastard hard.

Whilst we're on, I also tried Sonic 3. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that not just Sonic & Knuckles? Wasnt Sonic 3 isometric?

Sonic 3 could be attached to Sonic and Knuckles. But thinking about it, there's not much difference in the two.

The isometric one is Sonic 3D (Blast/Flickies Island)

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 219
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 22/7/2009 8:11:42 PM   
pablodiabloescobar

splosion man is insanely fun!!

Rapture
Waiting to capture that moment
Postponement
Suspension of rational movement
So bang on the hour of twelve
To the forest clearing we'll delve
With guns to our heads for we know
That heaven awaits us

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 220
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 7:45:44 AM   
juanvasquez

You are correct! And I will definitely be picking up the full game on payday. Most fun Arcade title since Peggle.

(in reply to pablodiabloescobar)
Post #: 221
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 8:58:10 AM   
Sleazy

Yeppers, I spent ages playing it last night. Some bits are fiendishly hard. It allows you to skip to next level if you die so many times but then you have to do the next level in a tu-tu!

Post #: 222
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 7:37:19 PM   
juanvasquez

Turtles In Time coming soon to XBLA.

Woop! Used to love that on the SNES.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 223
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 7:46:49 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

For a shockingly obscene 1200MS for a game you can complete in an hour.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 224
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 7:59:09 PM   
juanvasquez

1200?! Pfft!

Just download it off t'internet again!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 225
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 8:14:55 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

For a shockingly obscene 1200MS for a game you can complete in an hour.

It is a shame about the price tag. I think the old Turtles Arcade game has sold well on XBLA, at 400 points mind you and TMNT is a big name. Add to that the success of Castle Crashers which was also 1200 points and you can see why they have gone for 1200 point price tag. They have given the game some nice visuals too. Though would have been nice if they added a few more extras to justify the price.

The standard of XBLA is rising and people will expect more bang for their buck. So it will be interesting to see how this sells at the current price. I will probaly opt for Spolsion man over this now. The latter looks great and is priced well at 800 points.

Post #: 226
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 8:57:40 PM   
directorscut

There was a lot of content in Castle Crashers though.

Haven't downloaded Splosion Man yet but it looks like it's much better value for money than TMNT.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 227
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 23/7/2009 9:11:24 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

There was a lot of content in Castle Crashers though.

Haven't downloaded Splosion Man yet but it looks like it's much better value for money than TMNT.

Oh I agree. Behemoth added a lot of little extras to collect and unlock. As I said it would be nice if Turtles in Time added some more bonus features similar to these.

I just brought it up Castle Crashers as it is in the same genre and I think CC is the biggest selling XBLA game. So it seems to me they want to try and ape it's success with the price also. Thinking that it could even sell more as TMNT is a big franchise and old fans may want to buy it too.

Post #: 228
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 24/7/2009 8:56:36 AM   
Sleazy

no way am I paying 1200 points for a snes game. Turtles in Time was a good fun game but it was very short. It was shorter than the arcade game and about as advanced.

I still have turtles in time on various emulators but would have forked out for XBLA at a reasonable price. How they can charge triple what Turtles Arcade cost is beyond me.

Post #: 229
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 25/7/2009 4:35:23 PM   
thepluginbaby

I'm liking Splosion Man.  The animations are hilarious and there are so many!

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 230
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/7/2009 12:06:11 PM   
talpacino

How good does Shadow Complex look?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220099

It's been quite good on the arcade lately. I just can't stop playing Battlefield 1943 and I still have splosion man and Monkey Island to play.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 231
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/7/2009 8:06:33 PM   
Dark Knight

I was browsing through some future releases on Xbox Live Arcade and I stumbled over this possible gem.

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/100/1007598p1.html

The Warriors: Street Brawl comes to XBOX 360 and looks to be a great looking Streets of Rage clone. Put me down for one.

Warriors......Come Out To Play!!!!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 232
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/7/2009 11:29:39 PM   
thepluginbaby

I'm just waiting for Perfect Dark to come out.  I envied N64 gamers for years because of that game and now its finally coming out on Xbox live.

Its been a slow couple of months for gaming but all I have been playing recently is arcade, its got so much potential. 

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 233
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 29/7/2009 10:39:00 AM   
velocityboy

Splosion man is great in 4 player co-op. I love a good local 4 player game, something that developers don't think about as much with xbox live about.

"I'm always one step ahead...like a carpenter, who makes stairs "

My eyes are open.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 234
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 29/7/2009 1:36:11 PM   
the anomaly

I bought Splosion man the other day. Enjoying it so far. Pretty addictive too. I've tried co-op locally and it is good fun. I'm glad they implemented that countdown so you can time your Splosions together. Nice purchase at 800 points. I'm forgetting about Turtles in Time and the rest for now.

I just bought Marvel VS Capcom 2 today ... it's insane. I've only ever briefly played it at the arcades etc. So I am a total newbie really. My SF skills don't really transfer over, apart from knowing some of SF characters moves. It's a totally different game though so they don't work as expected. I won't be going online for a loooooong time. I know there are a lot of beasts at the game and don't fancy being combo juggled over and over.

I've got about 600 MS points left now. Hopefully I will get to pick up something on sale that I've had my eyes on. I won't be buying any games for a long time. Got enough on my plate ... and no money ...

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 29/7/2009 1:38:46 PM >

(in reply to velocityboy)
Post #: 235
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 29/7/2009 5:06:36 PM   
Sleazy

I'll be downloading this when I get home tonight. I havent played this for years and was never that good anyway so I'll play you Anomaly.

Post #: 236
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 30/7/2009 8:37:53 AM   
Spektre

I had Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast so I was interested in maybe getting this version providing they have improved it in some way. When I downloaded the demo I was really annoyed to find that AGAIN Capcom have not given you a way to try it out in single player - only local multiplayer! I hate it when they do that. I gave it a go after digging out a 2nd joypad and I was not that impressed. The 1200 price tag didn't help much either.

I'm going to wait for Turltes in time instead which does look like a huge improvement on the old game!

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 237
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 30/7/2009 8:41:36 AM   
James2183

quote:

I've got about 600 MS points left now. Hopefully I will get to pick up something on sale that I've had my eyes on. I won't be buying any games for a long time. Got enough on my plate ... and no money ...

What about the XBL Indie games? http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a168033/xbox-live-indie-games-now-live.html

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 238
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 30/7/2009 12:19:40 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spektre

I had Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the Dreamcast so I was interested in maybe getting this version providing they have improved it in some way. When I downloaded the demo I was really annoyed to find that AGAIN Capcom have not given you a way to try it out in single player - only local multiplayer! I hate it when they do that. I gave it a go after digging out a 2nd joypad and I was not that impressed. The 1200 price tag didn't help much either.

I'm going to wait for Turltes in time instead which does look like a huge improvement on the old game!

The 1200 price tag is a lot for MvsC2 but it is a rare game. I was looking for it before the XBLA release was announced and it was selling for 20+  most places (Some try to sell for 40 depending on if the game is new or not). So the 1200 points (10.20)  is really not that bad considering, plus the backgrounds have been spruced up . I've said it before but Turtles in Time is over priced I know I will get far more play out of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 than I would from Turtles in Time. I loved the latter but it is really short and whilst they have improved that graphics they have not added anything to increase replay value. Obviously each to their own. I've not had MvsC2 before either so it's a bargin for me really.

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

quote:

What about the XBL Indie games? http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a168033/xbox-live-indie-games-now-live.html

I've tried a few. The problem is there are hardly any reviews for the games so you don't know what you are getting. They are not from a name you can trust so you have no idea what the quality will be like. There are no achievements to aim for so that hurts replay value. There are A LOT of terrible ones (LED Light ... presents your text on screen in different colors or somthing ... ). So I'd rather save for a proper game.

I did however buy Kodu the other day. A game creation software which is under the indie game section. BUT it was made by Microsoft. So there was a lot of coverage (on ign.com at least) so I could see what I was getting into. I have not got into it yet but it's worth the 400 points.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 30/7/2009 12:27:30 PM >

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 239
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 30/7/2009 12:24:42 PM   
Clarence Worley

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spektre

The 1200 price tag is a lot for MvsC2 but it is a rare game. I was looking for it before the XBLA release was announced and it was selling for 20+ most places. So the 1200 points is really not that bad consideringm, plus the backgrounds have been spruced up . I've said it before but Turtles in Time is over priced I know I will get far more play out of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 than I would from Turtles in Time. I loved the latter but it is really short and whilst they have improved that graphics they have not added anything to increase replay value. Obviously each to their own. I've not had MvsC2 before either so it's a bargin for me really.

A friend of mine got a PS2 bundle with this game plus 2 others for 30! and you are spot on Anomaly, he then sold the above for 21 on Ebay!

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI