Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 8/7/2009 7:32:09 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183
So has anyone downloaded BF1943 yet? The idea to have the last map unlockable after 43 million kills is a pretty neat idea, especially since it's an air dog fight level. I'm currently downloaing the demo but it looks a lot of fun.

What I can't believe is that someone actually gets paid to make the Inside XBox videos. The audio is horrible. If M$ are reading this, hire me!

I tried the demo earlier. Took me ages to get into a game. I gave up and tried the training mode. Whilst the graphics etc are all impressive for an XBLA game I don't know if I will get it. Reason being is that there are so many full priced retail FPS out there. I could probaly pick up Battlefield Bad Company for about £10 for example. Which offers full multiplayer and a single player campagin.

You could point out this is true of most arcade games. I would disagree as a lot of the arcade games that are on XBLA feature games that are lacking on the main console (2D beat em ups) , simply offer the whole retro appeal of playing an old game (Frogger) or may actually offer somthing totally new (Braid). Basically what I am saying is that most XBLA games offer somthing different. Where as there are loads of FPS on the console already.

However I can see the appeal. It's a great looking game and at 1200 points it could provide a great FPS experience. If you've played every other FPS and payed full price  (£40 or so) for them then 1200 for this Battlefield game may seem like a bargin. The reviews have been good so I'm sure it's a decent enough game. I'll probaly give this a miss.

P.S Blowing up walls with the tank is brill! The explosions look great too!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 151
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 8/7/2009 8:03:26 PM   
James2183

I've yet to do anything on it as it kept saying it couldn't log on to EA Online. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 152
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 8/7/2009 10:35:36 PM   
James2183

Okay after having a good laugh blowing shit up on the practice map I went and downloaded it. Apart from the sound design which could be a lot better, it's a lot of fun. Jumping in a jeep to run down enemy soldiers, before jumping into a turret and taking down a plane is great fun...

..IF EA had thought about adding more servers. It's bloody impossible to find a server with free slots. In an hour I have managed to play 3 games. When they sort this out it should prove to be a lot of fun.

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 153
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 12:13:17 AM   
James2183

How is 1 vs 100 going to work? The fact that you will be able to win prizes just means more people are likely to sit with a laptop near them and get the answers off the net

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 154
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 12:28:24 AM   
directorscut

quote:

Okay after having a good laugh blowing shit up on the practice map I went and downloaded it. Apart from the sound design which could be a lot better, it's a lot of fun. Jumping in a jeep to run down enemy soldiers, before jumping into a turret and taking down a plane is great fun...

..IF EA had thought about adding more servers. It's bloody impossible to find a server with free slots. In an hour I have managed to play 3 games. When they sort this out it should prove to be a lot of fun.

I downloaded the demo and gave up after twenty minutes of trying to get onto a server.

Had to check to make sure a PS3 hadn't infiltrated my house.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 155
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 9:25:09 AM   
sharkboy

I downloaded BF'43 yesterday evening and didn't manage to get connected to a server once the whole evening.  So, 1200 points for a chance to play a tutorial level where you couldn't even kill any enemy?  Hmm, EA better get some more servers up and running pretty bloody pronto!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 156
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 9:58:40 AM   
Chief

quote:

How is 1 vs 100 going to work? The fact that you will be able to win prizes just means more people are likely to sit with a laptop near them and get the answers off the net

I thought about that as well. Only thing I can think of is a very severe time limit on answering.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 157
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 10:06:28 AM   
Spektre

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I downloaded BF'43 yesterday evening and didn't manage to get connected to a server once the whole evening.  So, 1200 points for a chance to play a tutorial level where you couldn't even kill any enemy?  Hmm, EA better get some more servers up and running pretty bloody pronto!

I'm glad I didn't pay just yet. There just seems to be no way to get a match online.
I wish they could've included an option to host your own private match, or at least have a skirmish mode against bots like in the original 1943 on the PC!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 158
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 10:15:46 AM   
directorscut

Finally got into a few matches of Battlefield.  It is nigh impossible to play if you don't have a HDTV.  It's worse than Dead Rising.

Repeat:  It's worse than Dead Rising.

Text is completely non readable  and good luck trying to see an enemy from more than ten feet.

In general gameplay terms - weapons are completely broken.  You can stand right infront of someone and shoot him dead on and he just looks at you like you farted.  It's like firing a nerf gun everytime.  Good luck trying to shoot someone with an ironsight never mind without. 

God I hate ironsights.

On the plus side the game looks nice.

My recommendations:  Buy Day of Defeat (original, not source) off steam for $5.  Best WWII FPS ever.  It's been downhill ever since.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 9/7/2009 10:16:42 AM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 159
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 12:57:53 PM   
kata

Picked this up yesterday.  Connecting to a server is a pain but once your in you stay on the server until you turn it off (or crash).

Had a good 4 hours or so on 1 server, was dreading crashing and going back to searching lol but apparently they are sorting that mess out.

I actually liked the weapons a lot, didn't have any problems killing people with 1 or 2 shots, but then again i'm a fan of iron sights so i can see why some people wouldnt like it if they dislike em.

Planes seem a little easy to shoot down but that might just be my novice flying skills, they are really fun to fly though.

It seems like its just going to be a base to add DLC to, but they really need to sort out problems that should never have made it to release.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 160
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 5:19:43 PM   
Peter Griffin

Alien Breed is coming to XBLA...

http://www.destructoid.com/alien-breed-evolution-announced-looks-suitably-slimy-139110.phtml#comments

...get in there

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 161
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 5:22:38 PM   
Yeti

Nah, possibly a good game, but my ringpiece still hurts from EA's Burnout assault. Fuck Em.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 162
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 5:51:21 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

Alien Breed is coming to XBLA...

http://www.destructoid.com/alien-breed-evolution-announced-looks-suitably-slimy-139110.phtml#comments

...get in there

Oh good lordy yes. Along with the Monkey Island games this was probably the game I played the most on the Amiga.

Chaos Engine and Syndicate next and I'm laughing.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 163
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 7:15:41 PM   
Yeti

Now, Chaos Engine. There was a game. 

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 164
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 9/7/2009 7:45:30 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yeti

Now, Chaos Engine. There was a game. 

Indeed. I'm fairly certain that I've read (at least a rumour) that it'll be getting a XBLA release sometime in the near future.

Could've been a dream though. A crazy, drug fuelled fantasy dream. The best kind.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 165
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 7:37:36 AM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

I text my mate the exact same sentance last night

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 166
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 10:39:31 AM   
the anomaly

Summer of Arcade release dates

• July 22nd Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-shelled: 1200 points
  • July 29th Marvel vs Capcom 2: 1200 points
  • August 5th Splosion Man: 800 points
  • August 12th Trials HD: 1200 points
  • August 19th Shadow Complex: 1200 points

Of all those games Marvel vs Capcom 2 is a must buy for me. I'll probaly get TMNT as long as reviews are good. Loved that game growing up, it's getting redone a bit and add in co-op and hopefully should be worth the price. I want to get Shadow Complex but may wait a bit. If Monkey Island is 800 points then I will get that first and pick up Kodu too.

Post #: 167
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 10:49:13 AM   
Peter Griffin

I've noticed the arcade games going up to 1200 points, will it be the new 800?

Post #: 168
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 11:00:55 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

I've noticed the arcade games going up to 1200 points, will it be the new 800?

Last year was the first "Summer of Arcade" and most of those games were 1200 points (Castle Crashers, Briad ...etc). As that was a big success the "Summer of Arcade" is now a new feature every year and it seems the 1200 price tage is more accepted.

I have to say I can see why it is hard to price arcade games. The content on XBLA is so vaired. But I do think some guidelines need to be set by Microsoft.

Plus I would like to see some games actually go on sale. There are a few budget games but I would argue not enough. The deal of the week is a decent feature and it's saved me some money on purchases I would have otherwise not bought/held out for. But I would like to see some proper price cuts.

Some decent games have broken the trend. Bionic Commando in last years summer of arcade was 800 points and Worms 2 is 800 points?

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 10/7/2009 11:01:45 AM >

Post #: 169
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 11:53:12 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

I text my mate the exact same sentance last night

Speaking of the old skool 'mans' games Team 17 are rereleasing a jazzed up Alien Breed 2, Alien Breed Evolution. If kept simple should be good, gagging to be a 4 player coup!

LINK

Okay they didn't say what format but it has to be on XBLAH.

< Message edited by BigKovacs -- 10/7/2009 11:54:44 AM >

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

Post #: 170
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 5:28:28 PM   
James2183

1 vs 100 goes live tonight at 7:30. Anyone else going to be tuning in and/or going to try and take part? I still have no idea how this is going to work with the amount of people who will try and cheat to win MS points. 

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 171
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 7:15:50 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

1 vs 100 goes live tonight at 7:30. Anyone else going to be tuning in and/or going to try and take part? I still have no idea how this is going to work with the amount of people who will try and cheat to win MS points. 

I am going to be tuning in - it should be an experience.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 172
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 7:39:15 PM   
James2183

Frst game down and it's pretty cool. Really quick answers which gets rid of the cheating to a degree. I went out on the third question but the second round it coming up next 

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 173
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 8:13:45 PM   
brill

quote:

Frst game down and it's pretty cool. Really quick answers which gets rid of the cheating to a degree. I went out on the third question but the second round it coming up next†

I can't hear anything the host says ? Anyone else got this problem ?

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 174
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 8:37:27 PM   
James2183

I heard him once talking about the money vs mob option. I have no idea what the rules of the game are, I just kept answering questions.

(in reply to brill)
Post #: 175
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 8:42:48 PM   
borstal

Purple? You pillocks

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to brill)
Post #: 176
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 10/7/2009 11:01:35 PM   
juanvasquez

In my defence, I haven't mixed paints since I was about 5. Art is not my thing!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 177
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 11/7/2009 3:34:33 PM   
the anomaly

ARGGHHHH! N+ just robbed me of my crowning achievement! I just completed 40/50 episodes. It's saved my times and the fact that I completed these episodes on the online leader boards. But on my actual game levels 34-39 appear as if I have not done them and they are locked. I was loving my little revival of the game as I have not played it in awhile but now ... I'll have to leave it for awhile ...

P.S get N+ it's great! + it's on SALE...!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 178
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 11/7/2009 3:44:17 PM   
Peter Griffin

SHP recommended N+ and i might have bought it but for the fact Monkey Island is out wednesday and i only have 800 points.Might have to be a future purchase.

Post #: 179
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 11/7/2009 5:25:11 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

SHP recommended N+ and i might have bought it but for the fact Monkey Island is out wednesday and i only have 800 points.Might have to be a future purchase.

I've had N+ since it came out. I still always go back to play it. One of the best XBLA games for sure. It's well worth the 800 points it usually is anyway.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI