Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 4/5/2009 4:05:10 PM   
Jules

Yup.

Enjoying it so far.

Never underestimate the power of denial

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 61
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 5/5/2009 4:48:54 PM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

Anyone bought Banjo Tooie yet?

Me too. Still love it even after finishing it twice on the N64 already.

You get some nice theme & gamer picture perks for doing different things too which is nice...although I think the initial asking price of 1200 is a little steep in the first place. 

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 62
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 5/5/2009 7:35:40 PM   
Chojin

I'll be getting Tooie once i'm finished with Kazooie. I'm 6 hours in and i've got 100% on 8 of the 9 levels. It's no way as hard as I remember it being and the camera can go a bit rogue at times, but the core gameplay is still as fun as ever.

Is Tooie more of the same?

I wouldn't mind DK64, i thought that was the pinaccle of the N64 platforming age.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 63
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 5/5/2009 7:52:35 PM   
Jules

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Pretty much - except the levels are a lot bigger. Things are more spread out but you can use warp pads to get to different bits of each level.

Never underestimate the power of denial

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 64
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 5/5/2009 8:04:23 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

I'll be getting Tooie once i'm finished with Kazooie. I'm 6 hours in and i've got 100% on 8 of the 9 levels. It's no way as hard as I remember it being and the camera can go a bit rogue at times, but the core gameplay is still as fun as ever.

I wouldn't mind DK64, i thought that was the pinaccle of the N64 platforming age.

I was waiting for someone to mention that. I think that game killed my drive for collectables. It had an insane amount of stuff to get. Some were character specific. It started off fun. But I got fed up of going through the levels backing tracking and searching. I did so much of that game. Got to right near the end. But I could not work out how to unlock the door to K.Rool's base. I remember I had like 80% or more done and I just could not work it out. I had to give it back to my mate in the end as I had borrowed it and played it more than him.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 65
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 5/5/2009 8:09:30 PM   
Chojin

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

I was waiting for someone to mention that. I think that game killed my drive for collectables. It had an insane amount of stuff to get. Some were character specific. It started off fun. But I got fed up of going through the levels backing tracking and searching. I did so much of that game. Got to right near the end. But I could not work out how to unlock the door to K.Rool's base. I remember I had like 80% or more done and I just could not work it out. I had to give it back to my mate in the end as I had borrowed it and played it more than him.

You need to beat the original donkey kong game on the arcade machine to get a key to unlock the final boss if i remember correctly.

It was the only part of the game I just couldn't manage and shames me to this day.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 66
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 5/5/2009 8:12:53 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

quote:

quote:

You need to beat the original donkey kong game on the arcade machine to get a key to unlock the final boss if i remember correctly.

It was the only part of the game I just couldn't manage and shames me to this day.

Ahhhh...I think your right aswell. I remember trying to beat that machinne but was not 100% sure that is what I had to do. That took the piss to be honest. A nice idea for an in game extra. But not to complete the game...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 67
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 6/5/2009 4:49:56 PM   
Bumfluff

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChojinIt was the only part of the game I just couldn't manage and shames me to this day.

Ha ha...my Brother gave up at that point too & I had great delight rubbing his nose in it!!!

It would be great to see this on Arcade, but much like Goldeneye I dont think they'll ever find a way to resolve the rights issues with Nintendo.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 68
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 12/5/2009 7:03:00 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

Brain Challenge has been reduced to 400 points for this week.  Gave it a quick go and seems like a pretty servicable Big Brain Academy clone and a snip at that price.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 69
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 12/5/2009 9:49:28 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

I couldn't get into DK64, I felt Conkers Bad Fur Day was the pinnacle of N64 platforming and infact is still the best platformer in existance. I've got Live and Reloaded so that I can still play it and while the improved controls help, I think some of the refining they did in other areas and removing some of the bad language has taken the shine off it a little. But it's still a great game.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 70
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 14/5/2009 11:24:28 AM   
talpacino

In a moment of madness I gave in and bought Castle Crashers last night for 1200 points!

Played for a few hours with two mates and it was great craic. Haven't a clue what's going on story or structure wise as the two lads had played it before and one of them was hosting. Still its good fun and the great thing is, after playing through a level together side by side killing the baddies it rewards you by letting you bate lumps out of each other to win a kiss from a princess  Nothing like seeing your friends heads lopped off and flying through the air. The multiplayer arena battles are good fun too.

Still at 1200 points it's an awful lot to pay but I'm not sure how much play time there is. Worth it if you can get a few people together to play with, otherwise I don't know. Apparently it's got nearly a million downloads too which is pretty good going.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 71
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 14/5/2009 12:03:49 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

In a moment of madness I gave in and bought Castle Crashers last night for 1200 points!

Played for a few hours with two mates and it was great craic. Haven't a clue what's going on story or structure wise as the two lads had played it before and one of them was hosting. Still its good fun and the great thing is, after playing through a level together side by side killing the baddies it rewards you by letting you bate lumps out of each other to win a kiss from a princess  Nothing like seeing your friends heads lopped off and flying through the air. The multiplayer arena battles are good fun too.

Still at 1200 points it's an awful lot to pay but I'm not sure how much play time there is. Worth it if you can get a few people together to play with, otherwise I don't know. Apparently it's got nearly a million downloads too which is pretty good going.

It's a brilliant game for co-op. It's the standard length for it's type I would say? But all those games like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Turtles you could complete in one good session. I'd say it is a lot longer than those actually. I wouldn't complete this in one session.

Also to be fair the game really does try to add as much replay vaule as possible. There are LOADS of different weapons to get, lot's of animal sidekicks to get and LOADS of different characters to unlock. Then as you have seen the game has the RPG element of leveling up your characters to unlock new moves, magic and improve your skills.  Plus the solo arenas, vs arenas and all you can eat vs. The achievements are also decent.

The only negative with all that is you could argue is there is not enough difference between all these new items....I'd disagree. The game really tries to mix it up as much as possible. So stop bloody moaning!

The graphics are great. The only negative being that when there are LOADS of enemeies on screen you really have to focus to see where you are. The tunes are alright. Controls are simple and easy. The story is all it needs to be really...get the princesses back...and kill all the bad guys that stand in your way. That being said the game is full of humour and interesting touches.

Another flaw is an exploit that allows you to rank up extremlly easily. It ruined the replay value a bit as if you ever added a random player their stats were always 99 (max) for every character. But if you avoid that then enjoy trying to out rank your mates.

As you can tell I am a big fan of this game. I wouldn't play it on my own though really. I can get a bit repetitive playing for along length of time (like doing the game in one sitting). You need at the least one other player. It is at it's best with a team of four. It get's like a 9/10 for me off the top of my head. I always played it with at least one other person and had the chance to play through with lot's of my mates all the time. It's a hall of fame game for me...when I eventually get round to putting games on the board!

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 14/5/2009 12:11:21 PM >

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 72
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 14/5/2009 12:19:13 PM   
talpacino

I'm actually dying to get home from work and get back into it.

That easy rank up flaw you were talking about it, has that not been patched now?

Currahee!

Post #: 73
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 14/5/2009 12:39:18 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

I'm actually dying to get home from work and get back into it.

That easy rank up flaw you were talking about it, has that not been patched now?

Sorry but I have no idea as I have not played it in awhile. It's done by using the boomerang against large bosses. You can throw the boomerang behind them so it stays there but keeps hitting them. This gives you loads of constant XP.

It really is pointless. Chances are you going to replay certain levels anyway to discover weapons, animals and quest items. It's always fun going through the game again to help others get those items or to just go through the game. So the exploit is really pointless. If you just play right through the game you should have ranked up enough and have enough supplies to complete the game. You really do not need to be anywhere near level 99 to complete the game. There is in fact no need to do it.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 74
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 14/5/2009 4:48:33 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

Puzzle games on XBLA.  I likes me puzzle games (I've got Bejewelled, Luxor, Zuma, obviously Hexic HD and most recently, Brain Challenge and the quite awesome Peggle), but are there any that I'm missing?  I've played the Lumines demo and it didn't rock my world, but other than that, recommendations are gratefully received.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

Post #: 75
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 14/5/2009 5:03:54 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey

Puzzle games on XBLA.  I likes me puzzle games (I've got Bejewelled, Luxor, Zuma, obviously Hexic HD and most recently, Brain Challenge and the quite awesome Peggle), but are there any that I'm missing?  I've played the Lumines demo and it didn't rock my world, but other than that, recommendations are gratefully received.

Puzzle
quest? Puzzle Fighter HD? Puzzle quest galaxies (or somthing) I'm sure there are even more. Whether they are good or not I have no idea. I enjoyed the demo's of the first two but I don't think I will buy at the moment.

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 76
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 15/5/2009 9:06:46 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

Yeah the demo of Puzzle Quest is alright and it's got quite a following round these parts, although poor reviews mean I doubt I'll be checking out the Galaxy one.  Downloaded the Puzzle Fighter demo this morning, so I'll have a crack at that and see.  I had the Poker Smash (Per-per-Poker Smash) demo a while ago, which was OK while it lasted - anybody played the full game?

Any other recommendations that people have played and loved? 

Post #: 77
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 15/5/2009 9:47:45 AM   
Clarence Worley

quote:

Have you tried Braid? awesome puzzle/platform game, 1200MP but well worth it

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

Post #: 78
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 15/5/2009 9:51:39 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

I played the demo, but wasn't blown away tbh.  I thought it had some nice ideas, but nothing that'd inspire me to part with 1200.

(in reply to Clarence Worley)
Post #: 79
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 15/5/2009 10:11:34 AM   
talpacino

Crazy Monkey!

Currahee!

Post #: 80
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 15/5/2009 10:33:03 AM   
Clarence Worley

quote:

I played the demo, but wasn't blown away tbh.  I thought it had some nice ideas, but nothing that'd inspire me to part with 1200.

i had similar reservations after the demo - it is tremendous though, well worth the price!

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

Post #: 81
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 18/5/2009 9:42:23 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

Bionic Commando Rearmed is being reduced to 400MSP from Monday 25th May.  Not sure how long for, but not bad for a game that has an 85 average score on Metacritic.

(in reply to Clarence Worley)
Post #: 82
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 18/5/2009 9:52:14 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

Bionic Commando Rearmed is being reduced to 400MSP from Monday 25th May.  Not sure how long for, but not bad for a game that has an 85 average score on Metacritic.

I bought this ages ago. I found it tough to get into. It is strange playing a platformer like game and not being able to jump.  Played it recently and I have been enjoying it. This is one for the old skool.

It has some nice graphical touches and some revamped old skool tunes. It's a steal at 400 points considering the production values when compared to anything else on XBLA. Obviously try the demo first and see if it's your cup of tea. I was happy to pay 800 points for it.

Post #: 83
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 20/5/2009 3:17:06 PM   
talpacino

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=215374

Britesparc will be happy to hear Monkey Island is coming!

Currahee!

Post #: 84
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 20/5/2009 3:23:15 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

I've never played a Monkey Island game, but I'm very much looking forward to this.  Huzzah!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 85
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/5/2009 12:39:19 PM   
the anomaly

Hopefully Monkey Island is a decent price. How long is the play time? The Wallace and Gromit game is 800 points but it apparently lasts around 5 hours. Still it's obviously a high end title so hopefully Monkey Island can come in at a decent price compared considering it's an old game.

I tried the Wallace & Gromit demo. It was ok it's nice to have a point and click style game on there. It's somthing different. Not sure if I will rush out to buy it. If it was 1,200 points I would never even think about it. But there are 3 or 4 more episodes comming out. I guess I am hoping there will be some kind of bundle. Or maybe they will even release all of the them on disc or somthing. I may get it after I clear off some of my games.

Bionic Commando is the deal of the week at 400 points. Try the demo and I'd say pick it up at that price really. I have got into it a lot more now. It's worth it at that price anyway.

I watched quite a long video of MvC 2 bascially revealing pretty much ALL the characters. I am really looking forward to it. 

Does anyone know of any co - op games comming to XBLA? Decent ones? Ohhhh yeah Turtles in Time is comming! I am quite looking forward to that. Almost bought the old arcade version the other day and I remember TiT. They are giving it a graphical over haul. I would have preferred a cel shaded look but I am sure it will be good. Though I fear a 1,200 points price tag for it.

Oh this is releated to XBLA but not a download. But CEX have the two XBLA game compliation disc's for a decent price (sold seperately). http://www.cex.co.uk/search/index.php?stext=XBLA&ispostback=1&mode=buy I picked up one with Pacman Championship Edition (usually 800 points) , Feeding Frenzy (400), Boom Boom Rocket (800/400) and Luxor 2 all for £3. Considering Pacman on it's own would cost £5.50 or somthing I thought it was a bargin.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 28/5/2009 12:44:00 PM >

Post #: 86
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/5/2009 12:58:08 PM   
Sleazy

yeah CEX always has loadsa copies of that disk in for £3, bargain!

I downloaded Wallace and Gromit, is good fun.

I have fond memories of Turtles in Time on SNES. The 1st arcade game was only 400 points though so I hope this one which is actually shorter is no more than 800.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 87
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/5/2009 2:19:36 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

Oh this is releated to XBLA but not a download. But CEX have the two XBLA game compliation disc's for a decent price (sold seperately). http://www.cex.co.uk/search/index.php?stext=XBLA&ispostback=1&mode=buy I picked up one with Pacman Championship Edition (usually 800 points) , Feeding Frenzy (400), Boom Boom Rocket (800/400) and Luxor 2 all for £3. Considering Pacman on it's own would cost £5.50 or somthing I thought it was a bargin.

I have both - for 3 quid, they're a bloody steal.

Post #: 88
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/5/2009 2:38:20 PM   
MBeard

quote:

Bionic Commando is the deal of the week at 400 points. Try the demo and I'd say pick it up at that price really. I have got into it a lot more now. It's worth it at that price anyway.

After that fantastic post anolomy, I've took your advice and bought Bionic Commando whilst it's reduced without having played the demo.

It best be good... ;o)

On another note, if I download a demo and complete say the first level or should've won an achievement, if I then buy that game would my game carry on and the achievement unlock or would I have to do it again?

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

Post #: 89
RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread - 28/5/2009 2:41:53 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

quote:

After that fantastic post anolomy, I've took your advice and bought Bionic Commando whilst it's reduced without having played the demo.

It best be good... ;o)

On another note, if I download a demo and complete say the first level or should've won an achievement, if I then buy that game would my game carry on and the achievement unlock or would I have to do it again?

Woah... Terms and Conditions apply! I did say to try the demo. It took awhile for me to get into it but I am enjoying it now. It is old skool but once you work some parts out they are easy enough. I'm sure you will get enough enjoyment out of it that will warrant the £3 or so you spent on it! I was happy to get it for 800 points. You can't earn achievements in demos.You will have to earn them again once you actually buy the game.

quote:

I have both - for 3 quid, they're a bloody steal.

I would get the other disc. It's £4. The one thing that puts me off is that I have what looks to be the best game on the disc already. It's the one with Geometry Wars (i own already), Bewjewled 2? and Texas Holdem etc? How are the other games?

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 28/5/2009 2:45:47 PM >

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: X-Box Live Arcade Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI