Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mickey Rourke Confirmed For Iron Man 2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Mickey Rourke Confirmed For Iron Man 2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mickey Rourke Confirmed For Iron Man 2 - 12/3/2009 9:21:56 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 12/3/2009 9:21:56 AM   
keef_mac

Why do Empire continue to hype Iron Man 2 up, and hail Iron Man as one of the most enjoyable superhero movies, when they only gave it 3 stars? The review does not reflect Empire's enthusiasm for the series so far

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 12/3/2009 9:56:58 AM   
britesparc

Well a three-star review is a GOOD film for a start, plus all the problems with Iron Man were mainly down to it being the set-up "origin" story, like with X-Men 1; and X2 turned out to be one of the greatest superhero films ever. So I imagine IM2 will be an absolute stonker.

Post #: 3
- 12/3/2009 10:25:31 AM   
keef_mac

Just because a film is an origin story, does not mean it should be viewed as an inferior movie in the franchise. Spiderman 1, is the best of the films in my opinion. It just seems that 3 stars is handed out for films that are watchable, and that far too many films seem to fall into this category, and like Empire says, "the first was one of the most purely enjoyable comic book movies in ages", surely that warrants an extra star. Even the dross that was Superman Returns got 5 stars, and it was crap.

Post #: 4
- 12/3/2009 10:31:57 AM   
Anduril666

Typical Empire inconsistency, there seems to be a divide between the Empire website and the Empire magazine (i.e. hyping up previous films like they are modern classics in news stories but only giving them 3 stars in the actual magazine), it's the same with Total Film. . . .

Post #: 5
the best comic book cast ever - 12/3/2009 10:53:13 AM   
Hughezy

seriously, and with Scarlet Johanssen going, this cast is amazing!

another poster for the old room!

Post #: 6
- 12/3/2009 10:53:30 AM   
onyx79

IMO Empire's rating system is attrocious for a start. How can you use a simple "out of 5 stars" rating system for movies, they would be better off changing it to a "out of 10 type rating" and also get better people to do the reviews. I have to admit that 7 times out of ten (no pun intended) I agree with Empire's reviews BUT I am a fervent disciple of the "judge for yourself" church. That said, I agree with what people have been saying, Superman Returns should never have had that full five stars, it was far away from being a perfect film, was decent , watchable but far from perfect.

Post #: 7
Reviews: A Flawed Medium - 12/3/2009 11:05:54 AM   
keef_mac

I think reviewing as a medium is hindered greatly by scores. 5 is too low a number to accurately convey somethings true worth, and a lot of people look solely at the score to save time reading the damn article. Not all reviews are perfect of course, just look at the review for Lion King on this site, worst review i've ever read, and i've read some of Paul Ross' reviews.

Post #: 8
Comic book vs Comic book Movie - 12/3/2009 11:12:21 AM   
Web Head

Ok, lets clear some stuff up. First off 3 stars is a fair review for Iron Man, even Jon Favreau admits its not a perfect film. For example had the final fight lived up to its full potential it would have been a 4 star film hands down! Second off making comic book movies to please comic book fans is, speaking as a comic book fan, impossible.While i will gladly defend both Hulk and Iron Man as movies Marvel are a comics company and were never going to achieve a 4-5 star movie first time around that pleases both comic book and movie fans. If Marvel had made a proper, 100% faithful to the comics Iron Man movie we would not all be here talking about a sequal. I have huge issues with any 'comic book movie' that has been made by an outside company, ie 20th century fox did the x-men plus fantastic 4 etc as they never seem to be able to balance out making a movie that is both a good movie and 100% faithful to its source. Spiderman 1-3 are some of the most insulting movies to comic book fans as they totally failed to capture Spiderman! where was the humour?the wise cracking wall crawler?why was MJ such a pathetic whimp of a character and dont even start me on the fact that that fool Maguire couldnt keep his mask on when in the comics Spidy's identity was one of the closest secrets he kept!two films in and the whole world should have known who was under that mask!
Ok the point im making is the reason empire are so understandably excited about Iron Man 2 is that Iron Man was the first step in making a film that pleases both sets of fans.Its a great movie that captures the original story and characters ALMOST perfectly!

Post #: 9
Reviews: A Flawed Medium - 12/3/2009 11:15:13 AM   
keef_mac

I think reviewing as a medium is hindered greatly by scores. 5 is too low a number to accurately convey somethings true worth, and a lot of people look solely at the score to save time reading the damn article. Not all reviews are perfect of course, just look at the review for Lion King on this site, worst review i've ever read, and i've read some of Paul Ross' reviews.

Post #: 10
Reviews: A Flawed Medium - 12/3/2009 11:15:57 AM   
keef_mac

Post #: 11
sorry - 12/3/2009 11:23:48 AM   
keef_mac

computer froze up, didnt meant to triple post

Post #: 12
- 12/3/2009 12:03:41 PM   
waltham1979

Is War Machine going to be in this one?

Post #: 13
He'll play Russian villain, Whiplash...? - 12/3/2009 12:54:40 PM   
Snake-Eyes

WHIPLASH (in the comics) wasn't Russian. Did you check your sources.... you Fucking Dolts?

Post #: 14
He'll play Russian villain, Whiplash...? - 12/3/2009 1:04:32 PM   
Snake-Eyes

WHIPLASH (in the comics) wasn't Russian. Did you check your sources.... you Fucking Dolts?

Post #: 15
RE: He'll play Russian villain, Whiplash...? - 12/3/2009 1:29:14 PM   
Gabriel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

"Rourke’s Whiplash will incorporate elements of the Crimson Dynamo’s backstory and appearance, along with elements of the comic book Whiplash"

Did you read the article...you Fucking Dolt?

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 16
Reading helps - 12/3/2009 1:29:29 PM   
Web Head

hate to break it to you Snake-Eyes but had you read the above article you would have noticed the following: "Turns out, though, that Rourke’s Whiplash will incorporate elements of the Crimson Dynamo’s backstory and appearance, along with elements of the comic book Whiplash" obviously one of the elements their borrowing from Crimson Dynamo is the fact that he is Russian. Helps to read the article mate

Post #: 17
RE: Reading helps - 12/3/2009 2:08:49 PM   
Samoa Joker

AHAHA, you want some salt with that foot, Snake-Eyes? 

As for the whole "3 star controversy" around Iron Man... what's the problem?  Last I checked, 3 stars means "Good".  I'd personally have given it 4 stars, but Empire's review and score was still positive at the time, and they clearly liked the film, and still do.  Perhaps the film has aged well in their eyes, prompting them to be even more favourable in their discussion of the film than they were a year ago?  Total Film (who also, I think, gave the film 3 stars) upped their score to 4 stars in a recent retrospective feature.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Empire do the same, should they review the film again.

(in reply to Web Head)
Post #: 18
- 12/3/2009 4:40:02 PM   
The Samaritan

I like the idea of Mickey Rouke as Whiplash, I loved Robert Downet Jr as Iron Man, but I can't get on board with the idea of Samuel L Jackson playing Nick Fury. I just think someone like Ray Liotta, or Kurt Russell would suit the part more.

Post #: 19
Go Mickey! - 12/3/2009 10:20:40 PM   
mighty mick

Inject some much needed villainy in a franchise which lacked it first time round! Don't get me wrong, I thought Iron Man was one of Marvel's best efforts but Iron Monger was not a particularly satisfying villain. Which is probably the point, as the first film was more concerned with establishing Tony Stark's character. Let's just hope Favreau will grace us with a good villain this time round as well as a cool hero!

Post #: 20
AHAHA, you want some salt with that foot, Snake-Eyes? - 13/3/2009 4:27:37 AM   
Snake-Eyes

ha ha ha! typical me, moan first check details later eh? oh well, it's still a bit lame that the 'villain is Russian' - a dated concept.

Post #: 21
RE: AHAHA, you want some salt with that foot, Snake-Eyes? - 15/3/2009 10:56:57 PM   
rickylbodkin

I thought this post was about Mickey Rourke being confirmed for Iron Man 2. So what happened?

I personally am happy to see Mickey Rourke back on top. Reminds me of his good old days.

Watch my film BLANK releasing worldwide on 3.21.09
http://www.blank-movie.com
http://www.myspace.com/blank_13

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 22
RE: AHAHA, you want some salt with that foot, Snake-Eyes? - 16/3/2009 4:07:31 AM   
JoeyPottr

Cool Mickey Rourke and Robert Downey Jr. in the same movie? Just COOL

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to rickylbodkin)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Mickey Rourke Confirmed For Iron Man 2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI