Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Harsh Viewing.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Harsh Viewing. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Harsh Viewing. - 20/7/2009 10:20:40 PM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: joanna likes films
with a excellent pefomance by Tom Hardy, a far cry considering from RocknRolla as a skinny guy to a beefed up and scary to look at man.

I would say Tom Hardy is shaping up to be one of the UK's truly bona fide method actors; I reckon there is greatness on the horizon for him.

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 31
RE: Bronson - 21/7/2009 8:03:56 AM   
boot

As some have said this featured a very good turn by Hardy in the lead role but I just found the whole premise wafer thin and I grew bored by the film fairly quickly. Yes, it certainly has some nice artistic touches in it, it is well made, no doubt, but at the end of the day the story verges on being non existent and going on this film, Bronson just isn't an interesting enough character to base a feature length film around. How many times do I have to see a beating accompanied by classical music in the one film too? I actually nodded off at one stage during this. 2/5

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Bronson - 26/7/2009 11:22:51 PM   
demoncleaner

Hyper-derivative, massively flawed, and can't make up it's mind what it wants to be.  Investing so much time in motifs and framing devices that it arbitrarily drops throughout then clumsily re-introducing them at inopportune moments.

I almost forgot to mention that's its utterly, utterly fucking brilliant!

Not a biopic, but a Bowie-esque piece of sci-fi.  Riffing off, not ripping off Clockwork Orange and Chopper, the second hour sees this quixotic masterpiece plough its own furrough culminating in a live-art Magritte gag.

Full review to follow.  But utterly, utterly fucking brilliant.

5/5 

(in reply to boot)
Post #: 33
RE: Bronson - 7/8/2009 9:05:31 PM   
davie_rfc

Saw this today and absolutely loved it. Great performance by Hardy,darkly comic and brilliant soundtrack Also, got to mention the funny turn by Peep Show's Matt King as the extremely camp prisoner

"Cup of tea?"

"This whole festival was put together by twenty third-graders with lots of chutzpah and one panda!"

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 34
Bronson - 29/3/2010 10:50:36 PM   
lynnshep

Great performance. But shock wears off early on, and much of the film's power disappears in first hour

Post #: 35
- 3/4/2010 12:50:33 PM   
strangeone

Love this movie. Like Chopper, this is a darkly comic representation of a thug's persona that hints at the human frailties and real tragedy of the man without hitting anyone over the head with its moralising. Hardy's performance is equally funny and frightening, and his physical transformation for the role is De Niro-esque. With its orchestral themes and stark cinematography you can see that the Clockwork orange comparisons are well founded, but that doesn't mean this isn't the most original british film to come out in a long time. This movie is a cut so far above the average british crime flick that it is barely worth mentioning. if you don't believe me just imagine what it could've been in the hands of a gimp like Nick Love and you'll appreciate Bronson even more!

Post #: 36
RE: - 27/7/2010 11:43:07 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Wicked film. This kind of movie is not normally somthing I'd go out of my way to catch but I'm glad I did. At turns funny and frightening but overall brilliant. Hardy is excellent and the score is ace.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to strangeone)
Post #: 37
RE: Response to Empire Review - 27/7/2010 11:51:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Tom Hardy makes this for me as the rest of it is rather a mesh of surreal, brutal drama trying to be a bit too clever for its own good. I like surreal films but this needed some more meat, maybe a bit more focus on the background story and more of a dive into Bronson's character, it's a good film but certainly not a great one.

3/5

Must.Resist.Joke.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 38
RE: Response to Empire Review - 1/8/2010 11:39:00 PM   
musht

Great film, watched this the other day expecting a pretty boring bio-pic but was very pleasantly surprised, a story well told and well acted with a cracking soundtrack too

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 39
RE: Response to Empire Review - 6/8/2010 1:46:01 PM   
oui3d

Shitey Middle Class blow job to one of Britain's most useless fuckers. If this wank is art i'll stick Stravinsky over Mortal Kombat Annihilation and have done with it.

No French, German, Spanish or Scandinavian film company is allowed to release a film in America. No British film company is allowed to release a film in America. And yet we allow America 100% access to our domestic market.

The best Star Wars film was directed by a 55 year old journeyman. Mental isn't it?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 40
RE: Response to Empire Review - 26/9/2011 9:53:11 AM   
brucejackiejet

Just watched this over the weekend. Came across as a bit too much style over substance. Would agree with some of the earlier posts about Bronson not really seeming interesting enough to warrant his own movie.

Would even go as far as to say I didn't really like Tom Hardy's performance (and thought he was excellent in the recent Tinker Tailor). It just seemed far too pantomime to be believeable, and not helped by the theatre scenes either. Plus there was way too much voiceover which just came across as a lazy way to tell the story, when it would have been far more interesting to learn about the character through the actual plot rather than his endless ramblings. Disappointing.

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 41
- 16/10/2011 11:11:42 AM   
Ciaran McDaid

Hardy some thick bast**d

Post #: 42
RE: - 18/12/2011 11:55:09 AM   
kargon

Good film but feel it would have been better if it was just played straight down the line, the pissing about with him being the ringmaster etc wasnt washing

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Ciaran McDaid)
Post #: 43
Good, not great - 7/2/2013 1:19:16 PM   
Mr Gittes

Despite Refn's stylish direction and Hardy's terrific performance, this is still a poor man's Chopper. And even that movie was no masterpiece. Unlike Raging Bull and A Clockwork Orange (where you can't help but connect a little with the bastards) with Bronson you just sit there appalled at the acts of this beast of a human being.

Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Harsh Viewing. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI