Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bronson

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bronson Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bronson - 10/3/2009 4:20:03 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Pre-viewing review - 10/3/2009 4:20:03 PM   
jobloffski

Someone has seen Chopper and tried to do a brit version, no?

If they've half succeeded I'll enjoy.

In order to post this, had to choose a rating, so the five stars are my rating for the flawed Chopper elevated by Bana's truly outstanding performance.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Pre-viewing review - 10/3/2009 5:36:27 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Someone has seen Chopper and tried to do a brit version, no?

If they've half succeeded I'll enjoy.

In order to post this, had to choose a rating, so the five stars are my rating for the flawed Chopper elevated by Bana's truly outstanding performance.

if you go via the main forum u dnt have to rate btw.
anyway yeh Chopper is amazing, and whilst this does appear to be similar as far i'm aware when it comes down to it it isnt really. still looks class though, shud b going 2 see it next week, provided i get in for 18 :P

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 3
Response to Empire Review - 12/3/2009 1:14:19 PM   
sheps_bude

What an uninformative and somewhat ambiguous review yet again by Empire. Whilst I acknowledge more lengthy reviews are dedicated to films within the meida spotlight it is hard to derive any worthwhile information from this inept review. If you choose to give a film three stars then there has to be some flaws or weaknesses yet Mr Wise labels it as a 'future cult classic,' gives no negative critique but slaps on it a bog standard rating. Would I be better off trying total film for a more competent insight? I'm starting to think so..

Post #: 4
Response to Empire Review - 12/3/2009 1:14:22 PM   
sheps_bude

What an uninformative and somewhat ambiguous review yet again by Empire. Whilst I acknowledge more lengthy reviews are dedicated to films within the media spotlight it is hard to derive any worthwhile information from this inept review. If you choose to give a film three stars then there has to be some flaws or weaknesses yet Mr Wise labels it as a 'future cult classic,' gives no negative critique but slaps on it a bog standard rating. Would I be better off trying total film for a more competent insight? I'm starting to think so..

Post #: 5
RE: Response to Empire Review - 12/3/2009 6:12:43 PM   
Gator

Yes, it tells you nothing at all. Not a thing. Off to Total Film then, and don't hang about.

(in reply to sheps_bude)
Post #: 6
RE: Response to Empire Review - 13/3/2009 8:09:02 PM   
losthighway

Saw first screening of it today. Only one cinema in my area showing it...

Excellent soundtrack, stunning lead performance by Tom Hardy, is very much a Clockwork Orange for the C21st, and i'm 99.9% sure was not at all what the majority of the audience thought they had come to watch as it has definate arthouse leanings, plus an abundance of gay characters which made some of the butcher blokes in the audience start mumbling. Highly amusing!

Overall, definately worth a watch if it's showing near you.

3 stars

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Gator)
Post #: 7
RE: Response to Empire Review - 13/3/2009 10:49:40 PM   
Starscream

An account of the life of one of Britain's most notorious prisoners, Michael "Charlie Bronson" Petersen. Was expecting a more violent prison type movie but found it more of a clockwork orange look at the guy's life but nevertheless its still very entertaining. Bronson is as mad as a bag of monkeys and Tom Hardy does a fascinating turn. Only real Disappointed they didn't do much with his 47-hour rooftop protest at Broadmoor though.

7/10

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 8
- 14/3/2009 12:26:58 AM   
fang

Clockwork Orange blah blah blha - lazy, Give me a fucking break. It's a great film, and Tom Hardy is fantastic make no mistake, but all these comparisons to Kubriks seminal film is making me want to puke.

LAZY.

Post #: 9
RE: - 14/3/2009 11:50:02 AM   
losthighway

quote:

Clockwork Orange blah blah blha - lazy, Give me a fucking break. It's a great film, and Tom Hardy is fantastic make no mistake, but all these comparisons to Kubriks seminal film is making me want to puke.

LAZY.

Puke away! How you can not compare it that film is quite astounding and far from such a comparision being lazy, I would say it's a compliment!

(in reply to fang)
Post #: 10
Bronson - 14/3/2009 12:10:42 PM   
Indio

I thought the whole film was a bit of a mess to be honest, and I'm not convinced Peterson/Bronson is a person worthy of a film about his life  going by what was on display here.

Agreed Hardy gives a good performance and its a bold career move on his part, but as a film this doesn't go anywhere (and yes it might be argued that this follows the path of a man who has been in jail just about all his adult life), but theres no real plot, no insight into his character and how he hs ended up this way beyond him wanting to be a 'star', and hes certainly not a charismatic lead for a film, basically calling everyone except his mother a cunt, telling them to fuck off or just plain beating the crap out of them, theres no indication of any wit or real intelligence apart from his paintings (and going by whats on screen here thats not much to go by),but there are people like this in every two bob pub in the country and I wouldn't want to spend 90 minutes in their company, let alone one who is likely to take you hostage, strip nude and then make you grease them up and then threaten to snap your spine and stick your head up your arse.

I know it was never likely to be a big budget blockbuster, but at times the whole thing seems terribly cheap looking and threadbare, with some of the acting verging on the same, particularly in the asylum and at Uncle Jacks place, with characters popping up and then disappearing just as quickly (Bronsons mother, and his 'manager') I could have also done without the bits with Bronson on stage, they seemed terribly like something from a local am dram stage production and could have easily been replaced by voice over.

Theres some nice use of sound and music, (the Pet Shop Boys now have a new music video ready and waiting for them if they decide to re-release It's A Sin), and Refn tries to inject some life into the film with the editing, but overall I found it a bit of a waste of time, if its trying to be an intellectual look into the life of a prisoner as performance artiste (which is what I'm assuming by the final scene with the art teacher) then it fails as like I said theres no insight into why he has taken this path, and beyond all the effing & blinding and a couple of bare arsed punchups theres not much to keep the attention of an audience looking for a geezerish movie.

< Message edited by Indio -- 15/3/2009 1:35:03 AM >

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to fang)
Post #: 11
RE: RE: - 14/3/2009 3:31:41 PM   
Starscream

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

quote:

LAZY.

Puke away! How you can not compare it that film is quite astounding and far from such a comparision being lazy, I would say it's a compliment!

It is a compliment in my review. Some people over react way too much to Empire and users reviews on this forum.  

< Message edited by Starscream -- 14/3/2009 3:34:22 PM >

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 14/3/2009 9:37:44 PM   
losthighway

quote:

It is a compliment in my review. Some people over react way too much to Empire and users reviews on this forum.  

Once the inner drama queen is unleashed...!!!

< Message edited by losthighway -- 14/3/2009 9:38:13 PM >

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 13
RE: Bronson - 15/3/2009 12:28:19 AM   
thedrin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio
(the Pet Shop Boys now have a new music video ready and waiting for them if they decide to re-release It's A Sin)

That's the best scene I've seen in the cinema this year (overtaking the kids being chased by a security guard in Slumdog Millionaire and the opening credits of Watchmen).

I was completely enthralled by this film for the first hour or so. The film loses its way during the period when he's on the outside and never quite recovers, but it consistently amazed me up to that point.

I've not seen A Clockwork Orange (not seen it fully - I turned it off the one time I tried to watch it) but most of the reviews I've read since seeing the film compare it to the films of Ken Russell (I think; director of Tommy and Women in Love). I've seen none of his films but based ont his, I must check them out.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 14
RE: Response to Empire Review - 15/3/2009 8:58:54 AM   
Mooncalf

quote:

ORIGINAL: sheps_bude

What an uninformative and somewhat ambiguous review yet again by Empire. Whilst I acknowledge more lengthy reviews are dedicated to films within the meida spotlight it is hard to derive any worthwhile information from this inept review. If you choose to give a film three stars then there has to be some flaws or weaknesses yet Mr Wise labels it as a 'future cult classic,' gives no negative critique but slaps on it a bog standard rating. Would I be better off trying total film for a more competent insight? I'm starting to think so..

I know it's just my personal opinion but I have to agree - and I think it is Damon Wise. In general I find his reviews are never helpful (which may just be that I never agree with his opinion) and I always go and check other reviews out if I see his name on the Empire review.

Never arrive at a funeral by parachute

Movie Poster Mashers - Need to match a font? Try http://www.dafont.com/

(in reply to sheps_bude)
Post #: 15
RE: Response to Empire Review - 16/3/2009 12:14:14 PM   
Gator

I don't read any of his reviews. Luckily he doesn't seem to write many.

(in reply to Mooncalf)
Post #: 16
RE: Response to Empire Review - 17/3/2009 8:32:05 AM   
Qwerty Norris

90 minutes of beautifully crafted violent insanity with an anstonishing performance from Hardy as the infamous prisoner. Winding clearly has an appreciation for the likes of Greenaway, Kubrick & Lynch and he uses that here to terrific effect. The mental asylum disco stomp to the Pet Shop Boys "it's a sin" will stay with me for a long long time...

If only more British-based films had the same level of artistic flair....

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Gator)
Post #: 17
RE: Response to Empire Review - 17/3/2009 10:59:51 AM   
Goodfella

Tom Hardy makes this for me as the rest of it is rather a mesh of surreal, brutal drama trying to be a bit too clever for its own good. I like surreal films but this needed some more meat, maybe a bit more focus on the background story and more of a dive into Bronson's character, it's a good film but certainly not a great one.

3/5

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 18
RE: Response to Empire Review - 18/3/2009 9:00:27 AM   
Ethanial

Whilst it's a short, or at the very least quick-seeming film, with a cracking turn from Hardy, I felt the film didn't know what to do for the most part, it's apparent the guy only did a select few things, punch people, hold them hostage, swear a lot and have a high opinion of himself.
I thought it was dull and trying too hard to make the guy out to be some sort of philosophical genius as he hit people and made them cry, a thug at best, and I felt bad for the real people he did it to, hoping that at the end maybe he'll get what's coming to him.
Interestingly done, with an atmosphere that's a tad unsure of itself, it had some moments, but the 'comedy' seemed to revolve around the guy punching others, and then you just feel sorry for the guys he whacked because he likes to hit things, not that he has an adgenda against them in particular.
Wouldn't watch this again, but, it was interesting, if only for the wrong reasons, 'sides Hardy's acting.
2/5

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 19
RE: Response to Empire Review - 21/3/2009 10:37:23 AM   
Wilemina

I enjoyed it. I live in Wakefield, so it was a bit weird watching a movie about a guy who was only a quarter of a mile behind me.

Spinal Nurse, Movie Go-er.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 20
Bit Harsh Empire - 27/5/2009 7:07:34 PM   
Matthew Field

Gotta be 4 stars Empire, at least for not giving the film the time of day for the review. It's original, well acted and bizzare! And original, which i say again because originality is something hard to come by at my local Odeon!

Post #: 21
Bit Harsh Empire - 27/5/2009 7:07:41 PM   
Matthew Field

Gotta be 4 stars Empire, at least for not giving the film the time of day for the review. It's original, well acted and bizzare! And original, which i say again because originality is something hard to come by at my local Odeon!

Post #: 22
Bit Harsh Empire - 27/5/2009 7:07:47 PM   
Matthew Field

Post #: 23
Bit Harsh Empire - 27/5/2009 7:07:48 PM   
Matthew Field

Post #: 24
RE: Bit Harsh Empire - 8/6/2009 3:23:55 PM   
Nostromo.

Why do so many posters with few posts have trouble posting a message? Anyway, I loved it. I think people are forgetting that this is filmed from his point of view so therefore is Bronson's take on his own life. I thought it was surreal, thought provoking, funny and sad in equal measure. That scene in the asylum disco will for ever be imprinted on my brain, brilliant. Overall a very enjoyable film. 

No Time To Bleed

What Do You Use For Bait? Paypal?

(in reply to Matthew Field)
Post #: 25
All style, no substance. - 9/7/2009 12:02:39 PM   
stevos

No way should Bronson be boring!!

Chopper is about a similar person, and is way better; with a less superficial performance from Eric Baner. Tom Hardy lacks screen presence, and depth. I was wondering why he'd been in so much high profile stuff before, but I'd failed to notice him. Now I know.

A disapointment coming from Nicolas Winding Refn, who I think is a brilliant filmmaker. Seek out the Pusher trilogy for confirmation of this. With his own material, he's far better.

Post #: 26
RE: All style, no substance. - 12/7/2009 9:36:04 PM   
Drone

Tom Hardy is absolutely extraordinary; the most noteworthy performance I've seen in any lead role this year.  He deserves recognition.  An occasionally funny film as well... I chuckled at

"What's that scar then?"
"Fight".
"And that one?"
"Fight".
"....."
"....Fight".

Or

"You just p*ssed on a gypsy in the middle of nowhere, darling.  It's hardly the hottest ticket in town".

A film which portrays a remorselessly violent man as just that.  There is no glamour or sympathy in Bronson; the man is just plain bad.

(in reply to stevos)
Post #: 27
Better On Repeat Viewings - 12/7/2009 11:21:34 PM   
PaulJohn

I've watched this 3 times since Monday and i've got to say it's a real grower. Thats thanks in great part to Tom Hardys startling and funny performance, Arguably the best male performance i've seen this year.

Very "Kubrick" in places, which isn't a bad thing, and has a very surreal engery thoughout. I agree it's not for everyone but it's worth a look.

Post #: 28
Harsh Viewing. - 18/7/2009 6:41:02 PM   
joanna likes films

After the trailer in front of other movies, I decided to rent it to see what it was all about. The true story of Charles Bronson has never been so violently adapated with a excellent pefomance by Tom Hardy, a far cry considering from RocknRolla as a skinny guy to a beefed up and scary to look at man. I would say this is a one only viewing though I'm glad to seen it, well worth more than three stars.

Post #: 29
RE: Bronson - 20/7/2009 8:12:14 PM   
lauriedunsire

Whilst I thought that the performance of Hardy in the role of Bronson was impressive, and the film itself was decently made and watcheable - I agree with the previous comment that Bronson's character and story didn't really go anywhere and I'd seriously question whether he merited having a film made about him.   From what little I knew on the man and from what I viewed in the film, he was little more than a mindless thug who just enjoyed kicking the cr*p out of pretty much everyone he met.  As for his 'art', wasn't hugely impressed in what I've seen so far.    Not the worst film in the world but surely their are far more interesting people to make movies about?

"I know it hurts. That's life. If nothing else, It's life. Itís real, and sometimes it fuckiní hurts, but it's sort of all we have."

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Bronson Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI