Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

V (2009) - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> V (2009) - US Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
V (2009) - US Speed - 9/3/2009 4:06:42 PM   
Timon

ABC are rebooting another sci-fi series - V.

I never saw the original 80s miniseries but I know vaguely of the lizard people invasion, so this should be an interesting reboot for me.

Cast wise, Scott Wolf and Firefly's Morena Baccarin have been cast. If anyone could fill me in on the original series premise, that would be great.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 3/4/2010 9:54:09 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 4:14:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

Big spaceships appear over the world with Visitors. Human looking people who wear red jumpsuits and have flags with red, black and white on them.

They start helping humanity, but then it is revealled they are actully trying to take all of Earths water and eat all the humans. Oh and they are actully lizards.

There is a lot more to it - its a kind of ham fisted Nazi parable, but it is enjoyable cheese.

The remake I'm not sure. I doubt they are going to go the giant spaceship route. Maybe more subversive - keeping in with current world themes. Which will suck, because giant city sized space crusiers piloted by rodent eating liazards is way cooler.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 4:17:33 PM   
Timon

Man eating lizards? Giant spaceships? Awesome! Keep that idea.... with some propaganda elements and we're away!

Pity ABC is producing....get HBO on that bad boy!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 4:20:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

If I were to guess we are going to see something like The Invaders.

No spacehips.

Humans finding out certain people are aliens and make it more along the X-Files route. ABC will be keeping budgets down on this one (the first V mini-series was the biggest budgeted show at one point) and will argue that having everyone sneaking around makes it more "reality based".

I could be wrong and will welcome the spaceships if they are in the show.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 4:22:51 PM   
Timon

Do you mean Invasion? That ABC show from a few years back with William Fichtner? Cause that really wasn't very good....

A sort of lame 'Body Snatchers'....

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 4:24:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

Invaders was based on the 60s show The Invaders which in turn was a rip off of body snatchers.

Here is one of the shows most famous scenes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VObQfWMgmIM&feature=related

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 4:44:39 PM   
elab49

'course there was also the marriage of Charles and Diana....

V was class cheese SF that was way more popular than it might otherwise have been as it was the only refuge from wall to wall Olympic coverage. I have very fond memories of both that and the TV series - but as the latter lost people regularly it was kill a main character a week through most of it. I understand they are ignoring how the series itself ended - but the set-up, frankly, sounds like an almost identical repeat of the first part of the mini-series.

Kenneth thingy has done another book - I had a look through it at the library the other week and it seemed pretty identical in story in a lot of ways.

I'm pretty sure I've got the original books somewhere - they seem to be priced quite highly on Amazon at the mo

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 5:53:48 PM   
Captain Black

I was given the full TV series (not seen the mini-series)as a pressie and watched a few episodes. It is very '80s, though I do love the way Michael Ironside snarls his way through every scene (no change there then), and Marc Singer's fantastically energistic 'I-coulda-been-an-action-hero-contendah!' performance (there are at least three shots in the first episode that are avatar worthy). Must get around to watching the full thing.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 6:18:31 PM   
sharkboy

Ah, V...what great memories I have of that time.  Even though the LA Olympics were the biggest, most showy Games ever, it was this show that provided most of the water cooler moments.  And I was particularly taken at the time by the Visitor's female leader, despite her big hair and 80's make-up:

Michael Ironside is always enjoyable to watch, and he delivers some great lines here including the following after blowing up a squad of alien lizards:  "What a waste of good luggage"

Bet the ABC remake is a disaster though - V was great because it was so cheesy, not despite of it!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 9
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 6:21:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

I'm not totally against it as the Battlestar remake proved you could turn these things into really great shows but they still kept the space battles. I'm afraid that this show might move away even from the towering ships over cities in order to cut costs.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 10
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 6:35:16 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

V kicked arse - I still remember the killer moment when a human is looking at one of the aliens (who look completely human) through a grating and to everyone's horror his mouth elongates and he eats a live mouse! . That was a dark bit of TV sci fi

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 11
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 6:39:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

V kicked arse - I still remember the killer moment when a human is looking at one of the aliens (who look completely human) through a grating and to everyone's horror his mouth elongates and he eats a live mouse! . That was a dark bit of TV sci fi

Its also the very scene I posted above.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 12
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 7:05:08 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Ah, V...what great memories I have of that time.  Even though the LA Olympics were the biggest, most showy Games ever, it was this show that provided most of the water cooler moments.  And I was particularly taken at the time by the Visitor's female leader, despite her big hair and 80's make-up:

Bet the ABC remake is a disaster though - V was great because it was so cheesy, not despite of it!

Yeah, I was a bit young for it at the time, but it got amazing ratings in the UK. I know what you mean about the cheese factor - I don't know if you can do those kinds of shows anymore. Even today's cheesy shows are slightly self aware about it.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 13
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 7:17:13 PM   
HughesRoss

V...Loved it as a kid, had nightmares when the human gave birth to an alien who rapidly grew in hours.  Also gave the world a certain Robert Englund as the nice Alien.  Its dated horribly now but a re-boot will be awesome.  I thought Diane (was that her name) was hot as well.

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 14
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 7:27:58 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Its also the very scene I posted above.

My memory is clearly a bit hazy - a) it was a woman and b) that was a bigger rodent than a mouse!

The birth of the reptile hybrid baby was also another fucked up moment for a sprog to endure.

In fact here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TufUH1T-F18&feature=related

The only thing about remaking it is - BSG made the original 100 times darker and more serious. Despite some of the clips on show (which do look a bit naff now), V was pretty dark and so how could they take the remake in a new direction?

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 9/3/2009 7:32:49 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 7:29:42 PM   
elab49

Mike Donovan creeping through the conduits of the ship with a camera if I recall.

Ham Tyler was a fabulous character

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 16
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 7:31:48 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Ham Tyler was a fabulous character

With an utterly genius name straight off Futurama!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 7:36:18 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Good old Marc Singer - he was always a cool actor in my book!

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 18
RE: V (2009) - 9/3/2009 7:44:15 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

Good old Marc Singer - he was always a cool actor in my book!

Aye, the Beastmaster was something else

V has the potential to fill the void that BSG is set to make...

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 19
RE: V (2009) - 10/3/2009 12:35:02 PM   
Captain Black

Review of the pilot script from the futon critic (who are normally pretty reliable when it comes to such things):

http://thefutoncritic.com/rant.aspx?id=20090309_v

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 20
RE: V (2009) - 10/3/2009 12:41:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

Sounds like its going to be a very rushed hour of tv. I don't know about anyone else, but it feels like the set up will need a few hours to really work.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 21
RE: V (2009) - 10/3/2009 1:00:45 PM   
borstal

Ive been saying this has been on the cards for a few years now. It was essential viewing when I was younger, always loved the crusty old jewish guy

'NO! V is for Victory not for Vengence' or something.

Overall the TV series was a bit Roland Emmerich (sp?) in that the first part was great then the second bit got a bit silly with the birth of the Star child or whatever she was called. I always remember the shock of the hamster eating scene and when Freddy Kruger rushed into the liquid nitrogen thingy and came out OK (mmm, these arent humans!).

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 22
RE: V (2009) - 10/3/2009 1:01:25 PM   
matty_b

I love the original mini-series (never seen the tv series that followed). The first part is exceptional, but the second is slightly less-so with a truly crummy ending. But Rgirvan's right - the first part is so good because it has a patient, detailed build up that gives the aliens insidious invasion real plausibility. It can't be rushed...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 23
RE: V (2009) - 10/3/2009 1:03:42 PM   
elab49

Nearly a straight repeat of the original just a different time - that is exactly how the synopsis came across as well, even down to characters.

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: V (2009) - 10/3/2009 1:08:43 PM   
Timon

Sounds quite good, but yes a bit rushed... like that they're including an religious extremist element that don't accept the 'V's'.

There does appear to be an 'annoying kid' element present though. Eat her, lizard people! Eat her! We offer her up as a sacrifice in the pilot!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: V (2009) - 10/3/2009 11:45:32 PM   
The REAL Bozz

No way will this beat the excellent 80's series. I loved the whole lot of em!!! Even Jenifer Cooke as Elizabeth in the later series. Hear she never went down too well with original creator?

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: V (2009) - 11/3/2009 12:51:30 AM   
theoriginalcynic

This has been in the works for some time the only question was whether they'd remake the original or start the sequel (Johnson released the new book last year I believe?) Guess ABC are gonna start again and hopefully make the sequel afterwards.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 27
RE: V (2009) - 11/3/2009 7:39:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I only ever saw the original miniseries and The Final Battle but I used to love them. I'm in the mood to watch them again now, I have them somewhere.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 28
RE: V (2009) - 11/3/2009 10:32:51 AM   
Timon

quote:

Big spaceships appear over the world with Visitors. Human looking people who wear red jumpsuits and have flags with red, black and white on them.

I take it Independence Day was semi-inspired....?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 29
RE: V (2009) - 11/3/2009 10:36:34 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

I take it Independence Day was semi-inspired....?

I believe so. But both of them were inspired by the Arthur C. Clarke story Childhoods End.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> V (2009) - US Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI