Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A Review From Halo14

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> A Review From Halo14 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Review From Halo14 - 29/7/2009 6:23:16 AM   
Halo14

OSKAR:
Ok think character and actor matched perfectly. Firstly the paleness of him to me signifies his complete innocence that slowly been eaten into and eroded by the bullies and generally everyone that the poor child comes into contact with! Plus the fact he hitting the swear word puberty and I believe that is a time filled with lots of conflict in a young boys life. He is very isolated child with basically all the odds stacked against him. Also his paleness makes him blend in with the snow and the lack of colour in a snow scape (quite a contrast to the blood I would say). He so desperately wants to disappear. Actually come to think of it, he looks more like the undead than Eli. With those blood red lips.The atypical good character in the fairy story, blonde and pale and unstained.

Oskar only comes alive when he meets Eli. He still a frightened lost
one at heart but almost (even though not the entire movie) like being so close to death brings him to life. And visa versa Eli darkness is amplified by his pale light! They literally feed off each other in the light and dark sense. Did you notice as the movie went on the voice of authority in his life, AKA mother, as Eli's influence sets in, so does his mother's voice disappear. At the end you only see her yelling at him, not even hear her any more! More of Eli's influence of taking over his life. Even more so a subtler version of bullying, Isn't that what an abusive spouse or partner do? They isolate you from your nearest and dearest (more predatory
behaviour, separate that prey from the herd much
more vulnerable that way).

He becomes blind to the world and almost like a hypnotized deer in the
headlights, he can only see Eli.

ELI:

Now there's a character that you can get you teeth into (aha excuse the pun). She is the atypical evil character, dark haired, dark eyed, she sticks out against the snowy background. She stands alone and odd. Ok, according to the movie Eli is without gender (well

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 121
A Review From Halo14 - 29/7/2009 6:23:17 AM   
Halo14

OSKAR:
Ok think character and actor matched perfectly. Firstly the paleness of him to me signifies his complete innocence that slowly been eaten into and eroded by the bullies and generally everyone that the poor child comes into contact with! Plus the fact he hitting the swear word puberty and I believe that is a time filled with lots of conflict in a young boys life. He is very isolated child with basically all the odds stacked against him. Also his paleness makes him blend in with the snow and the lack of colour in a snow scape (quite a contrast to the blood I would say). He so desperately wants to disappear. Actually come to think of it, he looks more like the undead than Eli. With those blood red lips.The atypical good character in the fairy story, blonde and pale and unstained.

Oskar only comes alive when he meets Eli. He still a frightened lost
one at heart but almost (even though not the entire movie) like being so close to death brings him to life. And visa versa Eli darkness is amplified by his pale light! They literally feed off each other in the light and dark sense. Did you notice as the movie went on the voice of authority in his life, AKA mother, as Eli's influence sets in, so does his mother's voice disappear. At the end you only see her yelling at him, not even hear her any more! More of Eli's influence of taking over his life. Even more so a subtler version of bullying, Isn't that what an abusive spouse or partner do? They isolate you from your nearest and dearest (more predatory
behaviour, separate that prey from the herd much
more vulnerable that way).

He becomes blind to the world and almost like a hypnotized deer in the
headlights, he can only see Eli.

ELI:

Now there's a character that you can get you teeth into (aha excuse the pun). She is the atypical evil character, dark haired, dark eyed, she sticks out against the snowy background. She stands alone and odd. Ok, according to the movie Eli is without gender (well

Post #: 122
A Sublime piece of film malking - 2/8/2009 8:31:35 PM   
lauriedunsire

Before I give my opinion of this film, I'd like to say one problem I've found is defining the genre of it. Now I'd class it as a horror, simply because of the fact it is a movie that focuses on a vampire. However a few of my friends have been left feeling slightly indifferent because, in their words, it 'didn't go where they were expecting it to'. Now whilst personally I LOVED the film, in every aspect, I can understand that someone expecting a 'shock horror' movie with lots of killing and gore would possibly be left disappointed - if that is what they look for in a horror. But it is so much more than that. The characters are so much more believable than most films of any genre, let alone just horror, and the story is superb. The fact the whole 'curse' of being a vampire is portrayed so emphatically makes the film so much more powerful, and the cinematography and soundtrack make the film both creepy and beautiful at the same time. The atmosphere throughout the film was so intense and the late scene at the swimming pool was really fantastically done. It summed up the whole film really, just in the way it was both quiet and subtle, but somehow at the same time breathtaking and gory.

I won't lie, this isn't for everyone, but if you are by yourself late in the evening, dim the lights and put this movie on and if you give it the time and our utmost attention it can be one of the best movie experiences you could hope for. At first I said it was the best vampire film I'd seen since Interview with a Vampire, but I may actually say it is up there as the best vampire movie I've ever seen.

Post #: 123
LetThe Right One In - 5/8/2009 3:33:12 PM   
vaila

I found this film absolutely fantastic. The relationship doesn't just jump like in other films but instead is progressive and you see it become stronger. I have seen Twilight and it was a disappointment compared to the books and compared to this, it awful. I find it difficult to enjoy subtitled films yet in this one it made no difference. The gore in the film was not 'in your face' as the americans like to do but let your mind fill in the gaps. They used sound effects with a streak of blood when a door was closed, but you knew exactly what was going on. The characters were not easy to read all the time but that was not a negative point. I enjoyed this film very much and would recommend it.

Post #: 124
scootster says - 7/8/2009 4:55:57 PM   
gordon livey

well im sorry i was too busy to catch this movie at the cinema, bought the dvd yesterday and watched it when darkness fell. this film is incredibley atmospheric even the snow and everything it fell upon seemed to have its own mystique, beautifull colours in an instant the director could make u almost feel how cold it is in this bloody landscape. talking about direction well what can u say its sublime the children the two mains of coarse i was drawn into their very believable world the trials and tribulations of trying to fit in at school it takes u quite easly to a time in your own childhood and not all bad memories blosom. how this story came to life im blown away the friendship oskar and eli developed was so understated but its a friendship u wont forget in a hurry. totally agree with the 5 stars a must see this is a film maker i'll be looking out for in the future what vision every scene had an amazing allure too it, i love this movie a job well done to all behind this very special piece of work. if u dont see this film your gonna be haunted by those around u who have heeeheee

< Message edited by gordon livey -- 7/8/2009 4:59:01 PM >

Post #: 125
RE: Let The Right One In - 11/8/2009 11:44:26 PM   
daemonic

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

***SPOILER***

Last rant, I promise  but something that is truly riling me as I read numerous reviews in the papers/forums...

Eli is a boy folks, not a girl! It seems to be a plot point that is being sadly missed by a good 99% of reviewers.

it was also missed by this viewer

though i spotted the "i'm not a girl" a few times i thought that Eli was trying to say "i'm not human"/ "im a vampire"

For once i'm glad I didn;t know this going into the film as it would have tainted my opinion on the characters and relationship

Edit

2 points -

if elias had been castrated he would still have had a penis (castration is removal of the testes not the penis as well) which means the "nude" scene was extremely (deliberately?) misleading

I thought the inclusion of the "nude" scene was meerly to emphasise hoe young, naive and innocent Oskar is. He's ony 12 and hasn't seen a naked girl before, showing what he sees helps the audience appreciate/ believe the look of WTF is THAT!!!! on his face

< Message edited by daemonic -- 11/8/2009 11:54:49 PM >

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 126
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/8/2009 5:31:23 PM   
blackduck

Mixed feelings about this. firstly I had to adjust my expectations as I was watching it, Vampire horror movie is a bit misleading, it's more of a coming of age drama. Once I got the idea that this wasn't the next 30 days of night I really started to enjoy it. Any scenes with the two kids were amazing, but the stuff with the bullies didn't ring true and some faster editing could have hidden the budget limits of the cat scene. And Elis assistant (boyfriend?) was a staggeringly incompetant killer. It's amazing they wern't caught years ago. What exactly did I miss in the nude scene? It looked like she had a small scar, I don't fancy freeze framing a scenen of a nude 12 year old girl......

I am but an egg.

(in reply to daemonic)
Post #: 127
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/8/2009 6:05:04 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Mixed feelings about this. firstly I had to adjust my expectations as I was watching it, Vampire horror movie is a bit misleading, it's more of a coming of age drama. Once I got the idea that this wasn't the next 30 days of night I really started to enjoy it. Any scenes with the two kids were amazing, but the stuff with the bullies didn't ring true and some faster editing could have hidden the budget limits of the cat scene. And Elis assistant (boyfriend?) was a staggeringly incompetant killer. It's amazing they wern't caught years ago. What exactly did I miss in the nude scene? It looked like she had a small scar, I don't fancy freeze framing a scenen of a nude 12 year old girl......

In the film you just see a scar.
Spoliers for the book
Eli kisses Oskar and he as a flashback to when Eli became a vampire, from what I remember a vampire nobleman castrates Eli and drinks the blood and also turns him into a vampire.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 128
Kind of boring really - 12/8/2009 10:59:56 PM   
stevos

Despite a couple of arresting scenes, it's a standard genre film- a genre that's been done to death (excuse the pun). Near Dark, and even The Lost Boys were more original. I put this firmly in the Twilight camp of not really offering anything new, except maybe a style.

And it's SO slow and plodding. Cold and remote- at least it looked pretty amazing. Like Bergman doing a vampire film.

I liked Cold Prey more, and found it more engaging.

Maybe LTROI isn't my cup of tea.

Post #: 129
- 25/9/2009 2:39:12 AM   
Smootle

A very good film. Suttle, but that's its charm. the special effects are very good as well.

Post #: 130
Ok, it's beautiful to look at, but 5 stars? - 2/10/2009 3:07:29 PM   
Rich Empire

Without meaning to be shot at dawn by the armies of people who adore this film, I have to say I think it was ok but not five stars.
The film is without a question beautiful to look at and well acted. It just didn't say much more to me as a piece of cinema.
The ending felt a little rushed and left me completely cold with regards to the characters.
I love films of this genre so I was a little let down by it at the end.
I'll give it another go though, maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

Post #: 131
RE: Ok, it's beautiful to look at, but 5 stars? - 12/10/2009 5:19:40 PM   
repo man

Loved this film, really enjoyed it.  Don't really understand why people think the pool scene felt "tacked on"; she needed to come back for him to show the final scene on the train.  Also, earlier in the film "she" said to Oskar she could help him with the bullies so it wasn't totally unexpected.

As a few people pointed out, the CG cats did stand out a bit - that whole scene was very reminiscent of the crazy woman off the Simpsons covered in cats during Lisa Simpsons news broadcast.  Especially when she started throwing them.  But overall I didn't think it spoiled the film - the occasional unintentional laugh in films is forgivable; and there weren't anywhere near the level of, say, any Nicholas Cage film made in the last 15 years.

Also with regard to the issue of Eli being a boy; it may be dealt with in more detail in the book, but I thought the ambiguity of it worked well for the film - the fact that not everything was explained made the film better, I thought.  Although Oskar seemed briefly shocked when watching Eli change, it made no difference to the way he acted towards her/him, and to go into this in more depth would've thrown the film off balance a bit, I thought.  Maybe.

Anyway. Been meaning to watch this for ages, really glad I got round to it.

(in reply to Rich Empire)
Post #: 132
RE: Ok, it's beautiful to look at, but 5 stars? - 13/10/2009 12:58:59 AM   
Deviation

And it might have had one of the saddest mos pignant endings I've seen in a while. Actually I thought it was near-perfect, points being lost for the cats.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to repo man)
Post #: 133
RE: Ok, it's beautiful to look at, but 5 stars? - 13/10/2009 11:01:20 AM   
BobM70

I have seen it and while it's something different, it's really nowhere near a masterpiece. It's badly written, adds clumsy symbolism, and progresses very slow.
It's like an arthouse horror film. But meaningfull glances, silence, snow falling in slow motion does not make a film. The photography is quite good, filming the dark (the night) and the light (the snow) in a fine way. The acting though is awful. Even in a language I can't speak, I see the child actors struggling with the material. The 2 lead children can't act, just following instructions from the director.
Besides the simple story of growing up, being bullied and standing up for yourself there's really nothing going on. The murdering is very graphic, but serves no purpose. The bullying is handled badly. No thrills or no involvement.
A big, big disapointment.

** out of *****

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 134
Boring - 3/11/2009 2:50:36 PM   
MrF

What a crap film, hugely overrated. Finally saw it this week after reading so many good reviews, its rubbish.

Post #: 135
RE: Let The Right One In - 4/11/2009 8:23:36 PM   
robwillphill

Original. Creepy. A Masterpiece of a vampire movie that has realism and is genuinely disturbing. This was so good that i watched it again... and again. You must see this extremely haunting and beautiful film, even if you are not a fan of reading subtitles ('Pan's Labyrinth' is another worth-while venture with subtitles)

10/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

Post #: 136
RE: Let The Right One In - 8/12/2009 10:51:38 AM   
CORLEONE

Just watched this last night and enjoyed it. Not spectacular but beautifully shot and haunting. It's far from being a masterpiece but certainly an original take on the vampire genre, and way better than Twilight

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 137
RE: Let The Right One In - 27/12/2009 1:40:02 PM   
drews

Absolutely fantastic. Twilight might have the fans, but Let the Right One In has the story.
I look forward to the pointless, botched American remake.

When an opportunity in a fight presents itself, "I" don't hit, "it" hits all by itself. - BRUCE LEE

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. - HOMER SIMPSON

#8 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 138
RE: Let The Right One In - 4/1/2010 3:40:45 AM   
Tank Boy

Great movie, certainly one the best horror movies of recent times. Nice Blu-ray transfer, too!

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to drews)
Post #: 139
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 7/1/2010 10:09:17 AM   
robwillphill

Beautifully haunting piece of filmwork. It has tenderness and heart, rapped around a disturbing truth. If you have to go and see a vampire film (and there have been MANY), then this is the one to see. One of my Top 3 Films of the Decade.

10/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 140
The Greatest Film Of 2009. FACT. - 8/1/2010 9:22:26 AM   
David Somerset

If you know your movie onions (or, in this case, Swedes), you donít need me to tell you how great Let The Right One In is. But if your onion and/or swede knowledge is deficient, let me tell you how great Let The Right One In is.

Let The Right One In is very, very great indeed.

I hope that's clear enough.

Let The Right One Inís crowning achievement is to take two genres that I have pretty much no time for Ė Movies About Kids That Arenít The Goonies or The School Of Rock, and Movies About Vampires Ė and glue them together with some achingly beautiful cinematography and skilful economy of storytelling to make a downright draculaspectacular film.

I wonít bang on about it too much because in all honesty Iím a bit embarrassed that Iím writing about it so long after it came out, and youíre all like, ďer, HELLO, we KNOW, you LOSERĒ, but I would just like to point out one last thing that makes Let The Right One In so very, very great, and it is that the swimming pool scene at the end is probably the finest five minutes of cinema I saw this year. And that includes the Owl Ship saucytime scene in Watchmen, although I may have to go and re-watch that to be certain.

(in reply to robwillphill)
Post #: 141
RE: The Best Vampire Film Since Nosferatu! - 24/2/2010 12:28:02 PM   
JackTheHat2

quote:

ORIGINAL: VincentWire

Basically a haunting and extremely beautiful film, full of delightfully sick little surprises. Also, it's likely to be the Daily Mail's least favourite film ever what with all the kids with knives, pre-pubescent nudity and it's full of bloody foreigners who can't even be bothered to speak english so you have to go through all the effort of reading subtitles.

I checked the Mail out expecting fulminating fury but, very surprisingly, this chap really liked it:

http://connollyblog.dailymail.co.uk/2009/04/who-needs-hollywood-horror-let-the-right-one-in-proves-that-europeans-do-it-so-much-better.html

(in reply to VincentWire)
Post #: 142
Not What Your Expecting but Fascinating - 3/3/2010 2:44:28 PM   
buckley1989

This beautifully made film absolutely fascinated me. The way you get involved with the characters, there is so much focus on them that by the end you truly do feel for them. Right from the very beginning you know your in for a treat. The idea of the the father having to go out and kill people, hang them upside down and drain their blood is brilliant. The two kids are played so well, they were award worthy performances. It's not the stereotypical gore-fest vampire flick that people (including myself) thought it would be but instead it is a masterpiece of the horror gene. The scenes where the girl strikes are great for me because they don't go over the top at all, they are quite quick and not too gory, just enough gore to be honest. The part that makes the film though is the last five minutes in the swimming pool, that scene is just exquisite. Overall a work of art and genius, I give this five stars.

Post #: 143
A true classic. - 4/3/2010 1:36:10 PM   
teacosy

A true modern classic brimming with raw emotion and on-screen beauty. Excellent cast, excellent directing, well worthy of 5 stars. It is worth wathching for the final "swimming pool" scene alone if anything!

Post #: 144
Overrated - 8/3/2010 3:42:07 PM   
Workshed

A good little take on the kiddie/vampire love story. Different with a sense of fresh air but, ultimately, given extra pathos due to the fact that it's a forgien language, low budget film. The overstated praise hurts the film.

Post #: 145
Outstanding! - 24/3/2010 10:20:10 PM   
IJustWantToBeAHero

Exceptional directing, beautiful cinematography, incredible acting, and ultimately superb story-telling, brand this film as an unforgettable masterpiece...

Post #: 146
RE: Let The Right One In - 13/4/2010 4:54:59 AM   
bluestarlites

Yes. Beautiful, stunning movie. However, having read a lot of reviews about the intracies of Eli, my review has gone from 5 to 4 stars. There is no way I could have known about the castration of Eli, neither the fact that Eli's protector was in fact a drunken old man taken from the streets by Eli. My interpretation of her keeper was that he was an older version of Oskar who we see fall in love and dedicate his life to Eli. I have the blu ray version and have listened to the director's commentary, but making the movie ambiguous kind of let's the viewer down. I showed it to my friends and they all had conflicting versions. I guess it makes an interesting discussion but the person who has the smile on their face is the one with the inside knowledge. Which just isnt fair. Still, the morse code tapping on the coffin scene on the train makes me cry like a baby.

Post #: 147
Best Film Ever. - 17/6/2010 4:34:33 PM   
ChrisWrites

I love this film, so beautiful yet disturbing at the same time. Shame about the remake. I covered it recently on the Panic Dots.com film blog -
http://bit.ly/bLz3Zk

Post #: 148
Best Film Ever. - 17/6/2010 4:34:35 PM   
ChrisWrites

I love this film, so beautiful yet disturbing at the same time. Shame about the remake. I covered it recently on the Panic Dots.com film blog -
http://bit.ly/bLz3Zk

Post #: 149
RE: Best Film Ever. - 8/7/2010 1:07:22 PM   
kumar

An ok film but it is massively overrated. Such a slow burner and im surprised I managed to stick it out, even though I did appreciate the ending at the pool. Some good points though, I think I was on to the issues with Eli, just figuring it out in my head and watching it onscreen didnt match, and I didnt get the idea about Hakan once being an Oskar figure.

Could have been miles better, I just felt it lacked any tension throughout, even the scene at Elis home near the end seemed very flat.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to ChrisWrites)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> A Review From Halo14 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI