Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Let The Right One In

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Let The Right One In Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Let The Right One In - 6/4/2009 6:57:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

About to watch this tonight. Looking forward to it! I might even post a review! 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Let The Right One In - 6/4/2009 7:16:33 PM   
directorscut

This film was indeed the awesome.  Apart from the bullies who may as well have had moustaches to twirl or burst into a rendition the Jet Song.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 32
The Right Stuff - 6/4/2009 8:08:45 PM   
Beehive Spirit

Managed to get this film on dvd from Amazon import from the States. It was such a beautiful film! It needs to be seen by everyone. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

Post #: 33
Finally - 7/4/2009 12:20:59 AM   
montimer

I heard about this film months ago, but managed to miss seeing it at festivals, and have since been reading fantastic review after fantastic review. I finally managed to see it tonight.

Usually after that much hype I'd be disappointed by now; but I'm not.I'm fucking enthused. what a brilliant film.

The strangest thing about it was that it isn't really a horror film. There are moments that were horrific, mainly, at least for me, seeing threats to Eli, but it certainly wasn't a balls-to-the-wall scare-fest, and I think that it benefited from not trying to jump through hoops to be one

This film shares as much in common with coming of age films like Son of Rambow as it does with other horror films, and any preconceived notion I had of the film was eviscerated within the first few minutes, but don't let that stop you seeing it. This film is astonishing. See it.

Post #: 34
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 7/4/2009 7:27:51 AM   
BikerScout

A hauntingly beautiful, wonderfully original take on an oh-so familiar, and tired, genre.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 35
A beautiful movie. - 7/4/2009 8:02:26 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

Highly recommended.

Post #: 36
RE: A beautiful movie. - 7/4/2009 8:37:25 AM   
tftrman

Saw this last night, thanks to the free tickets link posted on here. I absolutely adored it. Far more a love story than a horror, but by making you really care about the characters when the horror does come it means more. Fantastic performances by the child actors playing Eli and Oskar, but even the minor characters are played well.

Best film I've seen this year by far. Now I just need to flog my US copy with the dodgy subs......

(in reply to Cameron1975Williams)
Post #: 37
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 7/4/2009 9:50:02 AM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Cloverfield?! That is pretty awful news, surely - what kind of advert for adapting the book is that film? Not really a hallmark of quality. Even if you somehow think it isn't tripe, they are chalk and cheese so one doesn't recommend anyone for the other?

Why elab49... I would not be so presumptious as to assume that someone who made a B-movie style average sci-fi flick could not turn their hand to something like LTROI. Anything is possible! 

And as for recommendations/quality marks, sadly someone should have recommended a better director than Tomas Alfredson. A comment he made in Empire's recent article about the film pretty much sums up why this adaptation falls so short of the source material... Hakan is an outspoken paedophile in the book... and that is a very complicated subject to debate, especially when you bring it to the screen. (Agreed!) I think a lot of filmmakers use it as a sort of, cheap special effect, and I also thought that it would simplify the story too much if he was a paedophile, because now it's much more untold, or between the lines, now, as to who this guy is. Paedophilia is one of the central themes in the book and leads to some of the most interesting interactions, to take it out totally as it would 'simplify' the story too much is just ridiculous and one of the main reasons why the film feels so flimsy in comparison to the book (just in my humble opinion)

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 38
Film/Book comparison - 7/4/2009 10:08:24 AM   
KCarling

Having just been privy to a pre-theatre Film and Director Q&A in London central, I felt obliged to get something down about this little gem of a story.

The film is a refreshing and original take, as we now know, on a tried and trusted genre. The two novice leads are nothing short of exemplary in their performances and steal the show.

However I wish I had seen the film prior to reading the book. Having done this I feel the film would have been a more stimulating experience. Don't get me wrong, this little film is definitely worth seeing, however it defines the boundaries of artistic liberty between celluloid and literature.

In a nutshell and with no desire to litter this review with 'spoilers', the book contains a wealth of depth and sub-plots that were not contained within the film version.
Admittedly, a good deal of what is written could not simply be put to visual representation as this film would receive publicity for all the wrong reasons!
Because of this, some of the scenes in the movie leave one slightly bewildered as to motivation and logic.

I would have liked to question the author’s motivation to render the screenplay as such. That said, however, this is a gem of a film and anticipate that Matt (Cloverfield) Reeves will do an interesting, if not different approach to the story, predominantly as he's pitching to a very different audience.

Film first, book second. Then enjoy all the extras.

Post #: 39
Film/Book comparison - 7/4/2009 10:08:25 AM   
KCarling

Having just been privy to a pre-theatre Film and Director Q&A in London central, I felt obliged to get something down about this little gem of a story.

The film is a refreshing and original take, as we now know, on a tried and trusted genre. The two novice leads are nothing short of exemplary in their performances and steal the show.

However I wish I had seen the film prior to reading the book. Having done this I feel the film would have been a more stimulating experience. Don't get me wrong, this little film is definitely worth seeing, however it defines the boundaries of artistic liberty between celluloid and literature.

In a nutshell and with no desire to litter this review with 'spoilers', the book contains a wealth of depth and sub-plots that were not contained within the film version.
Admittedly, a good deal of what is written could not simply be put to visual representation as this film would receive publicity for all the wrong reasons!
Because of this, some of the scenes in the movie leave one slightly bewildered as to motivation and logic.

I would have liked to question the author’s motivation to render the screenplay as such. That said, however, this is a gem of a film and anticipate that Matt (Cloverfield) Reeves will do an interesting, if not different approach to the story, predominantly as he's pitching to a very different audience.

Film first, book second. Then enjoy all the extras.

Post #: 40
RE: Let The Right One In - 8/4/2009 3:44:50 PM   
tftrman

Hope I have more luck with this question than the other one I had in DVD discussions - does anyone know if the running time of the Swedish version of the film varies to that of the version released over here? The reason I ask is I've read a post on twitchfilm that someone has both the US and Swedish blu-ray and the Swedish version is 6 minutes shorter! The poster suggests this is because of the conversion between PAL and NTSC but surely it wouldn't make that much of a difference?

Post #: 41
RE: Let The Right One In - 8/4/2009 3:56:05 PM   
elab49

It can, I believe. The Swedish version isn't shorter

"When a film is transferred to video the running time will be shorter by approximately 4% due to the differing number of frames per second. "

If you check the BBFC site you can see the running time for the film in the UK, and that for the video. But they are the same versions.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 42
RE: Let The Right One In - 8/4/2009 4:05:34 PM   
tftrman

quote:

It can, I believe. The Swedish version isn't shorter

"When a film is transferred to video the running time will be shorter by approximately 4% due to the differing number of frames per second. "

If you check the BBFC site you can see the running time for the film in the UK, and that for the video. But they are the same versions.

Wow, I'm surprised by such a significant difference. I had done a bit of checking but never know what information I should believe when checking the internet. Having said, why should I trust you Elab?!?! [image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m9.gif[/image]

Thanks for responding. I may get the Swedish version but I'm hesitant after the US DVD debacle.

< Message edited by tftrman -- 8/4/2009 4:06:15 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: Let The Right One In - 8/4/2009 4:08:37 PM   
elab49

http://www.bbfc.org/website/Classified.nsf/c2fb077ba3f9b33980256b4f002da32c/5e3d72ef3d6e03a58025756f0059078d?OpenDocument

In the BBFC we trust

It is actually quite a common question. It can be amusing when someone goes off on one about cuts and the restrictive censorship regime and it is pointed it is just a normal running time adjustment because of the conversion

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 44
RE: Let The Right One In - 9/4/2009 12:49:45 PM   
tftrman

Oh, just wanted to say thanks Elab for answering my queries! Anyone else seen this recently/planning to see it?

Post #: 45
- 9/4/2009 6:02:51 PM   
IMP

Saw it in a small danish cinema. Beautiful and icecold.

Post #: 46
God damned multiplexes!!! - 10/4/2009 10:32:36 AM   
sunflies

I can't believe that Vue Watford, Odeon Hatfield, Empire Hemel or Cineworld Luton are not showing this movie. Now I've got to go to Stevenage (blurgh) or into London (sigh).

Post #: 47
Ice Ice Cold - 10/4/2009 8:42:52 PM   
Boomshanka

I enjoyed it a lot, it's a quiet, raw movie which played nicely with different aspects of the Vampire mythology in an original way. Set against a bleak monochrome 1980's Swedish backdrop, its sudden, shocking, violent moments really pack a punch and contrast well against the slow-burning mood, just like the crimson blood against the white snow. It's an eerie, still story, brilliantly acted and beautifully executed. Although for a love story, I found it erred a little too much on the depressive side and, surprisingly, lacked a little warmth. The two leads were excellent, but I would have liked to have known a bit more about Eli's character, her back-story and what made her tick. I ended up reasonably interested in both the characters, and wanted to know more, but not really caring for them much. Highly original and exquisitely shot, but like the harsh environment, just a little too cold.

< Message edited by Boomshanka -- 10/4/2009 10:37:29 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: Ice Ice Cold - 10/4/2009 10:29:31 PM   
st3veebee

Well done Empire: 5 stars is definately right. I don't want to give much away as its best to view with an open mind:

-Beautiful cinematography

-Stunning acting by the children, as well as the rest of the cast.

-A nice twist on the usual vampire story

-Lovely score

-Good shock moments...but nothing gratuitous

Basically: Best film of Year so far........GO SEE IT!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Boomshanka)
Post #: 49
- 11/4/2009 6:05:08 PM   
Bubba76

Awesome!

Post #: 50
Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 1:19:55 AM   
Paxton

Let The Right One In (2009)

Directed by
: Tomas Alfredson

Plot Summary: (from IMDb.com) Oskar, a bullied 12-year old, dreams of revenge. He falls in love with Eli, a peculiar girl. She can't stand the sun or food and to come into a room she needs to be invited. Eli gives Oskar the strength to hit back but when he realizes that Eli needs to drink other people's blood to live he's faced with a choice. How much can love forgive?

Review (***Spoilers***):
The title of "genre film" is a peculiar, treacherous mistress: Whatever genre the picture in question, by mere dint of the moniker, it will inevitably draw preconceptions. The very name means that it can be easily pigeonholed. Most genre films are therefore perceived as formulaic, low-brow examples of the cinematic form; a reassuring but unoriginal mix of thrills and chills, maybe some laughs, some possibly even unintentional. Indeed, most offer little more than a temporary distraction, devoid of original ideas and warranting no contemplation once the viewer has left the darkness of the screening room.

Because of this prejudice amongst more "serious" filmgoers, few movies are better placed to confound expectation than genre films, especially those in the harder genres, such as horror. Let The Right One In is just such a film. Right from the stark white, small, block capitalised title cards, it is clear that this is something other than a compendium of cheap parlour tricks. It is also uniquely, unmistakeably Swedish.

It does not open with a jolting scare or kill, as might be usual for the genre, but rather with a measured and near wordless introduction to our two leads: the gawky, awkward Oskar, who harbours a disturbing fantasy of violence which runs counter to his innocence, and the sickly Eli, rendered intriguing by the nature of her relationship with Håkan, her guardian.

The film does come to its first kill in short order. An almost casually efficient setup at home leads into an objectively shot scene of a simple, methodical bloodletting. Alfredson maintains this non-judgmental, "stand back and watch" approach to violence throughout the film. As a result, all of these scenes serve the story and advance the characters, rather than pandering to any trivial concepts of right and wrong or good vs. bad.

In this first instance, the killer is all too human, and when unable to handle interruption by a not remotely threatening poodle (he ineffectually throws a handful of snow at it and tells it to "shoo"), he quickly gathers most of the essential tools and flees before the dog's owners reach the grisly aftermath. The scene closes with the dog lapping up the spilt blood, and with that Let The Right One In has set out its stall: This is a film which defies the usual trappings of the vampire film: the life of a bloodsucker is not glamourous, but grounded in a world of disgust, social exclusion and remorse.

This first murder also reveals two of the film's greatest tools: a fantastic score and truly Oscar-worthy sound design. The composer, Johan Söderqvist, makes sparse but effective use of piano and strings, resulting in a soundtrack which is equally haunting and moving. By opting to show little by way of stunts or gore in the movie (except for a few standout prosthetic appliances), Alfredson allows sound to become a key player in the storytelling.  He uses it to phenomenal effect, whether it be a perfectly timed lorry thundering overhead as tension rises beneath a bridge, or feeling the sting of birch on flesh as Oskar is dealt the swipe of a cane by his bullies. This in turn means that the audience is incited to indulge their own imagination, a concession rarely afforded in the modern climate. Most studio filmmakers these days have the arrogance to assume either that our creative minds aren't up to much, or that their CG-addled visions are more powerful than our own, private ideas of horror/magnificence/extasy/etc. It is therefore gratifying and immediately endearing to watch a film which encourages us, the audience, to fill in the blanks for ourselves. Even the infamously violent swimming pool scene is remarkable for its visual restraint and composure (and also its witty reversal of Jaws' opening gambit): the muffled sounds of what is happening above water and fleeting glimpses of the carnage tell us all we need to know, our imagination telling us what we would probably do better not to.

Much has been made of the two central performaces by the kids. Certainly, these are very strong, but given the spartan emotional style and stereotypically Scandinavian bleakness (if you saw the Wallander TV series over the winter, you'll have an idea of the tone), one is left wondering if perhaps the minimalist performances are a directorial result of the children's obvious lack of acting experience. Very sensibly, Alfredson never asks too much of either of his leads.

That is not to say that this film is devoid of emotional content, however. Far from it, this film speaks centrally of the most powerful of all the emotions: Love. And not just the joyous promise of romantic love discovered, as the young Oskar finds with Eli, but love in all its forms, whether unrequited, mutual, or lost: The brotherly love shared by two men coming home from the bar, soon to be rended by death, which the tragic figure of the wife cannot replace; The inevitable sadness of the love of partners unilaterally expired, leaving the love of a disciple, as that of Håkan for his ward Eli, who is demonstrably willing to give up absolutely everything for her; The love of a parent for their children, notable chiefly for its near absence from Oskar's life.

So we come to realise that the title may not solely allude to the old convention that, on pain of death, a vampire can only enter a home when invited. Alfredson might also be telling us, in fittingly Swedish guardedness, that we should be careful to whom we open our hearts, for the wrong one might just ruin them.

< Message edited by Paxton -- 12/4/2009 8:01:21 PM >

(in reply to Bubba76)
Post #: 51
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 10:57:52 AM   
losthighway

***SPOILER***

Last rant, I promise  but something that is truly riling me as I read numerous reviews in the papers/forums...

Eli is a boy folks, not a girl! It seems to be a plot point that is being sadly missed by a good 99% of reviewers.

< Message edited by losthighway -- 12/4/2009 11:27:21 AM >

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 52
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 11:06:29 AM   
adambatman82

i saw this on friday, and kinda enjoyed it, but not as much as i expected based on what i had heard about it. harry knowles claimed it to be the best film of 2008, which only served to clarify my inkling that i didnt have very much in common with harry knowles. anyway, heres my brief review, taken from my website; hopelies.com . basically i think it could have been shorter, with the swimming pool scene seeming incredibly tacked on and ruining an otherwise touching ending -

possibly the most highly praised film of last years festival circuit, let the right one in arrives complete with the sort of hype and expectation usually reserved for the summer blockbuster period. having anticipated this film for what seems like an age i felt somewhat let down with the final product. what an interesting premise suggests is let down by an unwelcome running time. the story doesnt feel big enough to necessitate the epic running time it is given, an act which isnt disguised by the tagged on ending, which follows a perfectly adequate conclusion anyway.

negatives out of the way and we are left with a satisfying experience, courtesy largely to a staggering pair of central performances and some beautiful photography. kåre hedebrant and lina leandersson are great as the two friends that map out the films direction. the character of oskar (played by hedebrant) actually develops in a very complex manner for a child performance, and is the highlight of the overall piece. prior to seeing the picture myself, a friend described it as ''a kitchen sink drama crossed with a horror film", and by and large this is what i too took out of it. the central premise is accompanied by a rather touching subtext focussing on childhood alienation, which i found to be genuinely affecting, especially at the point where i expected the film to actually finish.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 12/4/2009 11:08:12 AM >

Post #: 53
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 11:19:44 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Last rant, I promise  but something that is truly riling me as I read numerous reviews in the papers/forums...

Eli is a boy folks, not a girl! It seems to be a plot point that is being sadly missed by a good 99% of reviewers.

I'd guess most hard copy reviewers don't mention it because it is a pretty big spoiler?

quote:

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 54
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 11:26:30 AM   
losthighway

quote:

quote:

I'd guess most hard copy reviewers don't mention it because it is a pretty big spoiler?

Is it a spoiler though!? It's not very well handled in the film with only a blink and you'll miss it shot which might mean something but is never really explored - and is possibly why that plot point is missed... However, I do take your point and will add a spoiler banner to my original post.

< Message edited by losthighway -- 12/4/2009 11:27:56 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 55
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 11:41:53 AM   
Paxton

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is it a spoiler though!? It's not very well handled in the film with only a blink and you'll miss it shot which might mean something but is never really explored - and is possibly why that plot point is missed... However, I do take your point and will add a spoiler banner to my original post.

I certainly missed it, although I know the shot you mean: I didn't have my glasses on and so I couldn't tell if it was a scar or hair, and my judgment told me the latter. Oskar's reaction worked in that context.

That actually rather annoys me - what does that plot point do other than make Eli seem Macchiavellian and therefore infinitely less sympathetic?

< Message edited by Paxton -- 12/4/2009 11:53:28 AM >

Post #: 56
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 12:29:07 PM   
elab49

Spoilers

I don't really mean it is a spoiler here - technically if you're reading a thread about people talking about a film you've seen I think there should be a presumption of spoilers.

But in a newspaper review. Viewers are supposed to buy into Oskar's belief up front that Eli is a girl, IMO. Although it is another ball the film drops, I'd still call it a twist as you do rethink their relationship.

quote:

(in reply to Paxton)
Post #: 57
Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 12:54:32 PM   
moviemaniac2

this coming of age horror-drama injects some much-needed originality into a genre that was screaming out for something new. It obeys all the vampire rules and there are some familiar elements - the 12-year-old vampire girl is right from Interview With The Vampire; the humanising of the inhuman is Bram Stoker - but downplays everything and takes his time telling the story, but the slow pacing gives the audience a chance to empathise with the characters and appreciate the performances: these 12-year-old kids make the Twilight crowd look immature by comparison.

This horror gives the tender but sad romance angle prominence, so those expecting guts and gore will be a tad disappointed, as a lot of the murders happen off screen; the murders that happen on screen are carried out with a banality-of-evil coolness by Eli's 'father' who suffocates, hangs and then drains the blood of his victims - so attention won't be drawn to Eli. Horror fans frustrated with the slow pacing would be best advised to wait for the shocking final scene. We're looking at a modern cult classic here.

Post #: 58
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 6:07:46 PM   
losthighway

quote:

Spoilers

I don't really mean it is a spoiler here - technically if you're reading a thread about people talking about a film you've seen I think there should be a presumption of spoilers.

But in a newspaper review. Viewers are supposed to buy into Oskar's belief up front that Eli is a girl, IMO. Although it is another ball the film drops, I'd still call it a twist as you do rethink their relationship.

It is a twist indeed and one of the reasons why I loved the book so much. Their love/affection for one another is never questioned and it's just such a refreshing change - and yes, the film does indeed drop the ball on this point quite spectacularly, as it does with Eli's whole back story. However, I do seem to recall there being quite a few comments from Eli saying 'I'm not a girl' which can be read either way, plus the actor's voice is noticably deeper in a scene shortly after the supposed 'reveal'.

quote:

I certainly missed it, although I know the shot you mean: I didn't have my glasses on and so I couldn't tell if it was a scar or hair, and my judgment told me the latter. Oskar's reaction worked in that context.

That actually rather annoys me - what does that plot point do other than make Eli seem Macchiavellian and therefore infinitely less sympathetic?

My point enirely about why the reviews are so annoying. On the one hand I go with Elab's POV about reviewers not wanting to spoil it but on the other hand, I think some folks are actually walking away from the film completely missing the fact! As for what that plot point does - well it's in the book and is explained a lot better through flashbacks which are hinted at in the film but never shown. As for it changing your sympathy towards Eli, personally it didn't affect the love story element for me - although tbh Eli is far more feral/creature-like/cunning in the book.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 59
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/4/2009 7:51:00 PM   
elab49

On the other hand reviewers aren't supposed to spoonfeed viewers?

quote:

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Let The Right One In Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI