Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Let The Right One In

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Let The Right One In Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Let The Right One In - 8/3/2009 9:10:31 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The Right Stuff - 8/3/2009 9:10:31 PM   
andyoliver99

I was lucky enough to see Let The Right One In last year, whilst I was in The States, and I can say without a doubt that this was the best film I saw the whole of last year. Do yourself a favour and seek this one out, it's a true masterpiece.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Amezzin - 10/3/2009 10:37:04 AM   
Hobin Wan Kenobi

The most original and genuinely creepy vampire film i've ever seen, from the little things like the way Eli moves to the gory bits and it had a very real and belivable quality about it

Post #: 3
Just saw this yesterday......wow - 14/3/2009 8:56:16 AM   
mosephland

This is truly something special. It is slow and there are no true scares here. However, it is just so incredible. The acting. the pace. The underwater shots. The humor. It's a must see! It was creepy and disturbing! And I'm going to watch it again very soon!

Post #: 4
The Best Vampire Film Since Nosferatu! - 15/3/2009 6:35:08 PM   
VincentWire

Basically a haunting and extremely beautiful film, full of delightfully sick little surprises. Also, it's likely to be the Daily Mail's least favourite film ever what with all the kids with knives, pre-pubescent nudity and it's full of bloody foreigners who can't even be bothered to speak english so you have to go through all the effort of reading subtitles.

Post #: 5
A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 16/3/2009 4:30:18 PM   
Ptolemaios

I live in Sweden and I must say that it is very pleasing to see that this movie gets some attention outside our country. From my point of view this is the best swedish film made in years, absolutely beautifully filmed and paced with splendid actors (especially the kids). The blend of social realism and fantastic elements are very intriguing and the developing friendship between Oskar and Eli are among the truest I have seen in a movie ever. Highly recommended!!

< Message edited by Ptolemaios -- 16/3/2009 4:37:19 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 16/3/2009 7:52:50 PM   
elab49

Isn't it odd how someone going completely over the top - hiya Mr Newman - can make you spend more time criticising a film you thought not half bad? Pan's Labyrinth and Spirit of the Beehive my aunt fanny.

In most ways a superior adaptation of a problematically paced book that sensibly dumps the paedophilia pretty much entirely (although it does make some of Hakan's motivations a little more difficult but they are relying, I think, on genre fans understanding of what an igor is - curious to rely so heavily on accepted tradition for a film some are trying to sell as stunning and unique, isn't it?).

While both central performances are highly creditable the major problem with the film is the lack of credibility in one of the key motivations for Oskar's character - casting a skinny pretty blond kid simply does not work into the bullying storyline in any way that makes it as compelling as the book. Indeed, it, and the film, almost eviscerates that most powerful part of the book, and I was sorry to see that.  

But I enjoyed it and it is well made, even of the changes have both improved and caused problems within the narrative. I'd also dispute uplifting - even with the alterations one can't escape the possibility that Oskar has been groomed. But comparing it to 2 superior films that examined a difficulty period in Spanish history in spellbinding ways is simply hyperbole of the worst sort.

A solid 7/10

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Ptolemaios)
Post #: 7
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 21/3/2009 8:19:22 PM   
captainrentboy

I saw this last night, and after hyping myself up into the belief that it'll be absolutely freakin' awesome (A lot of review sources are going crazy for it), I was left massively dissapointed by the time the credits rolled.
I thought it was very very slow burning, clearly too slow for my liking. There seemed to be too many lingering shots focusing on unnecessary things, certain plot points took too long to get to where they needed to be, and there were no characters that I could personally invest in (Obviously Oskar is the main man, but for me he wasn't a remotely likable child).
I'm not denying the actor's ability, the 2 main leads were very convincing in their roles, I just didn't care or root for either of them. Maybe that's the film's intention and I just didn't 'get it', I don't know

And for something that is being marketed as a horror, or even a horror themed love story, it wasn't remotely scary or even unsettling. The only scene that actually knocked my opinion up of the film slightly was the climax at the pool. Now admiteddly THAT was an effective set piece, it's just a shame it took 110 minutes to get there.

Add some laughably bad CG into the mix (The scene with the cats lost any impact because of it), and I really was left wondering what all the fuss was about.

Ohh and please don't put my opinion down to me being someone who just likes 'Wham Bam thankyou M'aam' action flicks, as I absolutely loved The Orphange, and hoped this would be a little like that. But no.
Annyway, a 4/10 from me... Just.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 21/3/2009 10:25:01 PM   
Erizu

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Isn't it odd how someone going completely over the top - hiya Mr Newman - can make you spend more time criticising a film you thought not half bad? Pan's Labyrinth and Spirit of the Beehive my aunt fanny.

In most ways a superior adaptation of a problematically paced book that sensibly dumps the paedophilia pretty much entirely (although it does make some of Hakan's motivations a little more difficult but they are relying, I think, on genre fans understanding of what an igor is - curious to rely so heavily on accepted tradition for a film some are trying to sell as stunning and unique, isn't it?).

While both central performances are highly creditable the major problem with the film is the lack of credibility in one of the key motivations for Oskar's character - casting a skinny pretty blond kid simply does not work into the bullying storyline in any way that makes it as compelling as the book. Indeed, it, and the film, almost eviscerates that most powerful part of the book, and I was sorry to see that.  

But I enjoyed it and it is well made, even of the changes have both improved and caused problems within the narrative. I'd also dispute uplifting - even with the alterations one can't escape the p(ossibility that Oskar has been groomed. But comparing it to 2 superior films that examined a difficulty period in Spanish history in spellbinding ways is simply hyperbole of the worst sort.

A solid 7/10

*Spoilers for Let the Right One In*

I disagree that the Pan's and Beehive comparisons aren't worthy due to the quality of Let the Right One In, however I agree in that the while it has the realism of the 'magical realism' of those two films, the fantasy in Let the Right One In is not magical and the fact Eli is a vampire isn't as important as the fantasy elements in Pan's and Beehive. She could just be a *SPOILERS* compulsive murderer */* and the themes on modern child life and adolescent disenfranchisement wouldn't be so different.

On the subject of Hakan, didn't you think *SPOILERS* the implication was 50 years down the line Oskar could be in Hakan's position?  My only problem with the film was the implication Eli was a boy.  I know in the book Eli was a boy who had been castrated, the shot we see in the film isn't needed and I assume was only included cater to those faithful to the source material.  It doesn't change anything in their relationship, and even if she was it just raises more questions than answers.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
Vampire Lover - 22/3/2009 8:13:30 AM   
paganprincess

This afternoon I saw Twilight on the recommdation from my neice. And what a disappointment that was! What a pack of de-fanged wimps! But after reading the comments above I am genuinely looking forward to seeing this. A good decent vampire movie. Andyoliver99 called it a masterpiece and it gets 5 stars from Empire. I can hardly wait!

Post #: 10
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 22/3/2009 7:30:44 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erizu

On the subject of Hakan, didn't you think *SPOILERS* the implication was 50 years down the line Oskar could be in Hakan's position?  My only problem with the film was the implication Eli was a boy.  I know in the book Eli was a boy who had been castrated, the shot we see in the film isn't needed and I assume was only included cater to those faithful to the source material.  It doesn't change anything in their relationship, and even if she was it just raises more questions than answers.

That was why I mentioned the bit about grooming - I do tend to agree on that.

For the comparison, it isn't just the aspect of magical realism but the subject matter itself. Both films are important in the context of Franco's Spain and the political examination of the impact of those times. This is just a normal bullying story with a slightly odd plot point. It's just chalk and cheese. The protagonists being children as an possible argument really doesn't bear much examination - in the Spanish films they also act as embodiments of innocence. In Let the Right One in, they're just children having age-related problems - with the unusual plot point.

In terms of kid vampires, I found Salem's Lot was much creepier.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Erizu)
Post #: 11
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 23/3/2009 1:36:06 PM   
Bickle

I watched this the other night. I did like it but I expected to love it. It was a beautiful looking film and the performances were great, however, I didn't really find any of it scary. There were some creepy parts but it seemed to just miss the mark for me. I also found it quite cold (no pun intended) and hard to relate to. It didn't remind me of any of the relationships I've had with androgynous vampires in the past.

6.5/10

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 23/3/2009 1:41:44 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bickle

I watched this the other night. I did like it but I expected to love it. It was a beautiful looking film and the performances were great, however, I didn't really find any of it scary. There were some creepy parts but it seemed to just miss the mark for me. I also found it quite cold (no pun intended) and hard to relate to. It didn't remind me of any of the relationships I've had with androgynous vampires in the past.

6.5/10

[sigh] They never do [sigh]

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 13
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 25/3/2009 9:16:23 AM   
Neth

Out of interest, how many of you have picked up the Region 1 disc and based your review on that?

http://chud.com/articles/articles/18644/1/LET-THE-WRONG-SUBTITLES-IN/Page1.html

Apparently, the subtitles are fucked, missing whole chunks of text. I saw this at Frightfest last year, and loved it to pieces - however, I'm glad I held off picking up the Blu-ray from across the pond now.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 14
Let Me In - 1/4/2009 6:22:05 AM   
Halo14

I loved this movie. It left a sweet taste in my mouth.

Post #: 15
Dubbed version on itunes US! - 3/4/2009 12:18:25 AM   
jvaux

I downloaded this and watched a dubbed version from iTunes US (apparently this has the original transalations from the theatrical release not the awful subtitles from the DVD release). It's a great film and I recommend it highly when it comes out in he cinema next week!

Post #: 16
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 3/4/2009 1:54:42 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

Out of interest, how many of you have picked up the Region 1 disc and based your review on that?

http://chud.com/articles/articles/18644/1/LET-THE-WRONG-SUBTITLES-IN/Page1.html

Apparently, the subtitles are fucked, missing whole chunks of text. I saw this at Frightfest last year, and loved it to pieces - however, I'm glad I held off picking up the Blu-ray from across the pond now.

I'm still not getting their defence of this. I looked through the long article showing the screen grabs side by side. The thing about straight translation is it doesn't necessarily catch the meaning or the spirit of the original words. A good translator encapsulates the meaning - and the impression I got was the original translator was a good 'un. The second banal and unimaginative.

quote:

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 17
wow... - 3/4/2009 4:53:01 PM   
shortassros

ok so i watched the subtitled version of this film and it was amazing but i then watched the dubbed version which didnt do this film any justice but it dint really matter as this film was AMAZING!! thats baisically it i cant say anything more about it!

Post #: 18
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 5/4/2009 9:52:18 AM   
losthighway

quote:

But I enjoyed it and it is well made, even of the changes have both improved and caused problems within the narrative. I'd also dispute uplifting - even with the alterations one can't escape the possibility that Oskar has been groomed. But comparing it to 2 superior films that examined a difficulty period in Spanish history in spellbinding ways is simply hyperbole of the worst sort.

A solid 7/10

I couldn't disagree more with this statement, the paedophilia element was one of the central themes of the book, so to take it out of the film was a bad move imo. As i've said elsewhere on these boards, why on earth Lindqvist gutted his original novel to the extent he did to make this film is beyond me - he left so many important parts out that the film is left feeling clunky with scenes that just don't flow into one another. The whole subplot with the alcoholics makes no sense in the film, nor does leaving the scene out where Oskar is transported in time to see Eli become a vampire (in the film, there is a look, a comment and then it's onto the next scene. Shockingly poor!). My other major complaint about the film is the treatment of Hakan, with the best scene of the book regarding a zombie-fied Hakan and Oskar trapped in the basement being totally removed.  This would have made a stunning set piece to the film but was sadly ditched along with much of Hakan's interactions.

quote:

My only problem with the film was the implication Eli was a boy.  I know in the book Eli was a boy who had been castrated, the shot we see in the film isn't needed and I assume was only included cater to those faithful to the source material.  It doesn't change anything in their relationship, and even if she was it just raises more questions than answers.

This was the best part of the book for me, i.e. the fact that gender is never made into an issue and they just love each other regardless.

I don't agree that the book is problematically paced or that the paedophilia element was too OTT for film (as many other reviews have attempted to justify the changes from page-to-screen), that element is what made the book so good imo, along with the issue regarding Eli's gender. As i've said before there is a great film to still be made of LTROI and amazingly it looks like it could be the USA remake that provides it!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 5/4/2009 10:00:40 AM   
elab49

I admire your optimism. But apart from the issue that US remakes are generally atrocious - I'd have thought they were less likely to take a more daring approach to the material.

quote:

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 20
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 5/4/2009 12:24:14 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Great Film - a real breath of fresh air for the stagnant Vampire sub-genre.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
- 6/4/2009 10:30:00 AM   
ARmy2510

Beautiful movie. Svadish cinema is still on top

Post #: 22
RE: - 6/4/2009 10:59:42 AM   
coolio

Does anyone know where I can find information about what cinemas are showing this? It isn't listed on my local (Bham) cinemas website's and there doesn't appear to be a UK specific website (only a US one). Thanks.

(in reply to ARmy2510)
Post #: 23
RE: RE: - 6/4/2009 11:47:01 AM   
maarkyj

The UK site is www.lettherightonein.co.uk

There's a free screening in Birmingham tonight if you want to go.

Please visit www.momentumscreenings.co.uk and put in code 15894LR

(in reply to coolio)
Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 6/4/2009 12:32:00 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: maarkyj

The UK site is www.lettherightonein.co.uk

There's a free screening in Birmingham tonight if you want to go.

Please visit www.momentumscreenings.co.uk and put in code 15894LR

Wicked! Just printed mine! I bought the blu-ray with dodgy subs so now I can watch theatrical version first and then see how much it affects my enjoyment afterwards.

(in reply to maarkyj)
Post #: 25
WOW!!! - 6/4/2009 2:18:34 PM   
Halo14

I love this movie. Empire, well done. This deserves a 5 Star Rating!!

Post #: 26
- 6/4/2009 3:34:50 PM   
D.J

This is one film that i will definately have to see.

Post #: 27
RE: RE: - 6/4/2009 4:29:26 PM   
coolio

quote:

maarkyj

Thanks for the links, got myself a ticket

(in reply to maarkyj)
Post #: 28
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 6/4/2009 5:29:33 PM   
losthighway

quote:

I admire your optimism. But apart from the issue that US remakes are generally atrocious - I'd have thought they were less likely to take a more daring approach to the material.

Well it's got Matt Reeves behind it (he of Cloverfield fame) and plus I have to have some optimism, as a huge fan of the book, this version was such a real let-down!  Plus, whilst I agree US remakes are generally atrocious, the odd gem does slip through the net, e.g. The Ring.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29
RE: A Swedish Midwinter Tale - 6/4/2009 6:26:37 PM   
elab49

Cloverfield?! That is pretty awful news, surely - what kind of advert for adapting the book is that film? Not really a hallmark of quality. Even if you somehow think it isn't tripe, they are chalk and cheese so one doesn't recommend anyone for the other?

quote:

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Let The Right One In Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI