Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RIDLEY SCOTT

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: RIDLEY SCOTT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 4/10/2006 8:00:22 PM   
jamdodge1

Scott is a great director, Gladiator and Alien are his best.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 31
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 29/12/2006 3:54:59 PM   
evil bill

Just got KINGDOM OF HEAVEN and this is the third viewing of this under rated Brillant Movie 4/5.Scott is one of Britians greatest directors and it shows when this is the only movie(epice) that can come close to Gladiator in the years since it's release.If it was'nt for Kingdom i think the movie industry would leave Epics back on the dust covered shleves.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to jamdodge1)
Post #: 32
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 14/6/2007 4:26:17 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Doe

What makes Hannibal a bad film though? The story (which is far better than its source material) ....its certainly not the visuals or the acting.

The reason everyone thinks Hannibal is bad is because they compare it with The Silence of the Lambs.  Yes Hannibal is frightening because he could get into your mind through the glass, and now that he's out, it's less effective.  But, to me, I find that terrifying.

For one, I really enjoyed Hannibal.  Sure there was so much from the novel that wasn't present in the film, for example, Mason Verger's relationship with his sister, but it's a great thriller.  It's beautifully shot and Hans Zimmer's haunting score is excellent.

Anthony Hopkins was brilliant as always as Dr. Lecter but Giancarlo Giannini's performance as Inspector Pazzi is the best in the entire film.  He brings a quiet yet arrogant determination to the character.  Julianne Moore surprised me as Clarice Starling too.  She showed that the character had changed dramatically.  You can see the emotion and disappointment in her face when she is caught by the FBI at the house, and sees that Hannibal is not on the boat, realising he has evaded capture once again, and that she could do nothing.

Ridley Scott, in my opinion, succeeded with this film.  He didn't throw the gruesome violence in your face, but managed to balance it within the plot, and delivered a very tense and visually stunning piece of work, even though it strayed from the source material, which, if you read it, is hard to adapt as it is such a big story with several plotlines.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 14/6/2007 4:31:06 PM >
Post #: 33
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 28/7/2007 6:27:03 PM   
max314

The visual genius that Ridely managed to achieve, pre-CG revolution, is arguably still greater than the computer effects driven film-verses we see in movies today.  If blessed with a great script and outstanding performances, a Ridley Scott film can become a timeless treasure.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 34
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 28/7/2007 6:33:28 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: ads2k5

Does anybody know where I can get a good version of Blade Runner Region 2?

The re-released director's cut has just gone on hiatus following the announcement of the FINAL CUT set due this December.

Nevertheless, you might wish to try the following links:

Here.

Here.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.
Post #: 35
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 29/7/2007 11:09:38 AM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

The visual genius that Ridely managed to achieve, pre-CG revolution, is arguably still greater than the computer effects driven film-verses we see in movies today.  If blessed with a great script and outstanding performances, a Ridley Scott film can become a timeless treasure.

To be perfectly honest, despite him directing my favourite film (Blade Runner), I don't think his body of work stands up to much scrutiny. I love Alien but the rest of his stuff shouldn't be placing him in the same bracket as Kubrick and Spielberg. Gladiator and Thema & Louise are both good films but I wouldn't call them "great".
I find most of his films quite empty.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 36
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 22/10/2007 2:34:33 PM   
Mabs

Ridley Scott in my opinion is the latter day 'David Lean'. he is undoubtedly Britains most premier director. His films have revolutionised cinema; (1) Blade Runner, (2)Alien, (3)Gladiator and even (4)Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut.

(1); Blade runner has to be one of the most influential Science fiction movies ever made.It even rivals the cistine chapel as the greatest piece of art ever produced! i know i am commiting blasphemy on my part, but it even rivals Star Wars as the greatest Sci- fi ever made, and even 2001: Stanley Kubrick's mindbending odyssey! Visually it is sheer poetry; easily Ridley Scotts greatest film, and thought provoking, 'what does it mean to be human'? and also 'is Deckard a replicant' debate; which still rages on 25 years later.It is in my top 10 list of favourite films no doubt, and oh! the soundtrack! that beautiful Vangelis score - my favourite after Maurice Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia score.I can go on about this film, but ridley no doubt carved his name into the annals of Cinema history as one of the greatest directors of this century.

(2) Alien; Ridleys first entry into sci-fi and a beautiful visual feast! i was awestruck when i first saw this movie; as Ridley himself cited - a fusion of Star Wars and a Truckers movie in space...the environment Ridley produced was so believable, that you felt you yourself are present when John Hurt climbs out onto the ramp overooking the eggs - a masterful shot of the interior of the Alien ship (a painting) still amazes me to this day. Realism coupled with acting coupled with the score by Jerry Goldsmith..and ridley's exquisite eye for detail has produced a movie monument, a masterpiece of mood, terror, art and beautiful poetry in space.

(3) Gladiator; every one laughed when Ridley said he was about to shoot  a Roman epic; and in true Ridley style - he proved them wrong HA HA! A beautiful epic with a magnificent russel crowe in the lead. But lo and behold, It won Best Picture oscar and no Director Oscar for Ridley! A bloody travesty! those b**tards! As Ridley himself said ''How can you give an oscar for best picture, and not for best director''?

(4) Kingdom of Heaven; director's Cut; contrary to what some might say, i feel this epic in its full glory easily rivals Gladiator as Ridley's greatest epics. This much improved version makes sense of all the celluloide arm and legs that were cut off for the theatrical version. Visually empire is right in calling it 'Blade Runner in Breaches' (was it breaches or..oh, i've forgotten!)..

So there you have it, Ridley Scott is our National treasure, a Director who has inspired many filmakers over the years, has contributed immensly to Cinema, with memorable films that will be etched in Cinema History forever. In fact, so great is he, that they were right to give him a knighthood, so, SIR Ridley, salute you we shall!!!

Mabs (Sith Lord)

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 37
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 12/11/2007 11:32:36 PM   
Kadaj

I believe him to be a slightly overrated director, but a capable director nonetheless. The reason I say this is the fact many other directors are overlooked in comparison to him, when they in fact they have a much greater catalogue of work. However, at the end of the day, the big three he's going to be remembered for are Blade Runner, Alien and Gladiator, and that's no way near a bad thing. It's just the fact that as a whole, Ridley Scott is not the reliable director people make him out to be.

A good argument could be Ridley Scott vs. James Cameron?

(in reply to Mabs)
Post #: 38
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 30/11/2007 10:54:45 PM   
Kubrickmaster

I would not say he is overrated, he is a dedicated artist, some of settings and sense of production design are astounding and really are second to none. True, he has been more hit and miss recently, Kingdom of Heaven being a disappointment certainly, though I personally feel A Good Year is very harshly criticised, though it does seem out of place in comparison with some of other films. True, how many directors can claim to have made two films back to back like Alien and Blade Runner, films ultimately so influential in terms of modern cinema. Cameron Vs Scott is a good comparison, personally I would have loved to have seen the two work together on another Alien film.

(in reply to Kadaj)
Post #: 39
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 1/12/2007 9:49:58 PM   
Jackie Boy

Alien
Bladerunner
Thelma & Louise
Gladiator
Black Hawk Down
American Gangster

Spanning nearly four decades the list above features some of his finest works, so anybody who argues that he's not one of the leading directors of our time is quite clearly insane.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Kubrickmaster)
Post #: 40
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 6/5/2008 7:40:19 PM   
Barraluke

Ridley Scott is a great director. Look at his filmography:
  • Alien
  • Blade Runner
  • Thelma and Lousie
  • Gladiator
  • Kingdom of Heaven
  • Black Hawk Down
  • American Gangster

Speaks for itself really. His films have recieved 31 Oscar nominations and 9 wins, which is pretty impressive. Look at the classic films: Alien, Gladiator, Blade Runner: they will all be remembered through Movie History. He has worked successfully with Brad Pitt, Harrison Ford, Sigourney Weaver, Russell Crowe, Denzel Washington, Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Nicholas Cage and Orlando Bloom. That is a massive list full of A-List stars.
Ridley Scott is an amazing director and I am looking forward to Nottingham with pleasure.

A naked American man stole my balloons.

Post #: 41
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 28/10/2008 8:16:32 AM   
Jacko82

Personally i think Ridley Scott has made alot of good films and some bad films. For me it's got to be Black Rain. This film is action packed and has a great story line. Michael Douglas is excellent and plays the rough cop brilliantly, like he did in basic instinct. But i am a 80's action film lover (die hard,predator,hard to kill etc). I enjoyed alien,gladiator and most recent American gangster, what a film! quality story and washington/crowe are brilliant. On the other side of ridley scott my wife enjoyed Thelma&Louise, A Good year and G.I.Jane not my favourites though, thought G.I.Jane was alright. Can someone give me a review on the Kingdon Of Heaven not scene it, weighing up wether it's worth watching cheers. chow for now.

It's like a finger pointing away to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Post #: 42
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 11/11/2008 2:34:16 PM   
The Scientist

Blade Runner, Alien : Brilliant
Gladiator, Thelma & Louise : Good
American Gangster: Mediocre

I am not a ninja but am under hynosis.

(in reply to Jacko82)
Post #: 43
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 14/11/2008 5:40:23 AM   
Jacko82

American Gangster - MEDIOCRE! Must of watched a different film. Anyway your opinion, you must be into your sci-fi. Bladerunner and Aliens are brilliant films i agree with you there.  

It's like a finger pointing away to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

(in reply to The Scientist)
Post #: 44
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 16/2/2009 2:06:52 AM   
snazzy_sophie

Gladiator and Blade Runner are two of my favourite films... did not really enjoy Kingdom of Heaven but have just bought the extended edition and have heard it's much better than the original? Other than that what about Legend?! Couldn't believe he made that after Blade Runner and Alien!

http://www.literallygeeking.org

Post #: 45
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 6/6/2009 11:10:53 PM   
MartyW

Have to say Alien and Blade Runner will forever be my favourite Ridley Scott films of all time!!! Don't get me wrong he's made some other brilliant movies as well e.g. Thelma & Louise, Gladiator, Hannibal etc but i think its the science fiction genre that he really excels in.

These two films are very epic, towering masterpieces that are every bit thought provoking and influential to this day.

Everytime i think of Alien, i always think of the crazy fucked up robot scene.

Amyone seen pictures of Ridley Scott's 'Robin Hood' russell crowe picture yet!? Dnt know what to make of it yet.

(in reply to snazzy_sophie)
Post #: 46
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 9/9/2009 5:04:17 AM   
prontron07

great director and great movies some of the best all time action and sci fi movies and movies in general, blade runner is my fav probably as well as legend was very good and gladiator. 

Post #: 47
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 1/2/2010 1:11:10 PM   
MHill

As much as I enjoyed watching Gladiator, I think it was Ridley Scott's American Gangster which I liked the most.

Denzel Wasington - "It's simple: You get a part. You play a part. You play it well. You do your work and you go home. And what is wonderful about movies is that once they're done, they belong to the people. That's where my head is at."

(in reply to prontron07)
Post #: 48
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 1/5/2010 5:16:42 PM   
MarcE

Is anyone else of the opinion that Blade Runner should have a Deckard narrative?

Obviously the original was confusing and mentioned a Replicant who was omitted from the final script, but when the Final cut came out I was hoping that it was going to feature and edited voice over.

It took me half a dozen viewings before I started to really like BR, one of the main reasons was I was so young the first time I saw it.

I have the Directors Cut on DVD and although I have full surround sound its crying out for a decent DVD transfer with 5.1/DTS. I've seen the Final Cut on Sky but I'm not sure how good the sound is compared to a real digital viewing.

I plan to buy the Ultimate Collectors Edition soon as it contains 4 differant versions of the film.

I think in my eyes I will always see it as a flawed masterpiece.

(in reply to MHill)
Post #: 49
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 9/5/2010 6:43:07 PM   
Workshed

Blade Runner is an odd beast of a film. It's flawed and inperfect but is a masterpiece and one of the best science fiction films of all time. I say 'flawed' because I feel you have to have seen the theatrical version (with explanitory voice over) to help decode the final cut, which makes it a magnificent experience.

I'd seen 'The Directors Cut' several times as a youngster but asice from the visuals, I didnt get it but after picking up the 5 disc version back in 2006 and watching the theatrical version and some of the extras, it all finally clicked and I really 'got. the film.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 50
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 13/5/2010 7:09:52 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Looking forward to ALIEN on blu-ray. Any word on a BR release of LEGEND?

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 51
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 15/5/2010 7:58:12 PM   
Fanboyslayer

Absolutely love Ridley Scott. He one of my favourite directors by far and I'm always up for watching anything made by him. I haven't enjoyed all of his films but the ones I do like, I love.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 52
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 1/6/2010 3:30:45 PM   
MI Cruise

The Blade Runner 5 disc set has just come through the post today and I will be watching The Final Cut tonight probably, last time I watched it it was when BBC2 showed it last Christmas. It's probably my favourite Ridley Scott film followed closely by Alien.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 53
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 20/7/2010 11:21:09 AM   
Blue Lupus

I tried to watch Blade Runner when I was much younger and thought it was a pile of tosh. Flash Forward 10 years and I watch it again, now it's one of my favourite sci-fi of all time. Strange how tastes change. Ridley Scott though, it has to be said, is a favourite of mine anyway.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 54
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 30/3/2011 1:02:12 PM   
Daizan10

I loved Body of Lies more recently... Just thought i'd throw it out there? Another Crowe - Scott combination - although Di Caprio steals the show. On the topic of his more recent films, I was bitterly disappointed with Robin Hood... It needed blood and darkness, more darkness... To be grittier and more real. Does anyone know if it got canned or if there will be a 2nd one? 

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 55
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 1/4/2011 12:39:45 AM   
threshold

Body of lies is crap, gladiator doesn't deserve best picture, blade runner is smart (but is one of a kind for his films), alien is extremly slow moving and isn't as scary as aliens. I'm sorry Ridley scott is the lesser of the scott brothers

(in reply to Daizan10)
Post #: 56
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 1/4/2011 11:29:03 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: threshold

Body of lies is crap, gladiator doesn't deserve best picture, blade runner is smart (but is one of a kind for his films), alien is extremly slow moving and isn't as scary as aliens. I'm sorry Ridley scott is the lesser of the scott brothers

This whole reply simply does not compute. Particuarly the highlighted bit.

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 57
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 2/4/2011 11:04:32 PM   
vad3r

Ridley Scott has only made three films worth watching. Any of the others could be made by any studio hack and you couldn't tell.
Time to die Ridley.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 58
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 4/4/2011 4:25:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Ridley Scott has only made three films worth watching. Any of the others could be made by any studio hack and you couldn't tell.
Time to die Ridley.

So were you born a douche or does it just come naturally?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 59
RE: RIDLEY SCOTT - 4/4/2011 4:28:34 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

Time to die Ridley.

So were you born a douche or does it just come naturally?

Someone hasn't seen Bladerunner.
But seriously, does anyone get excited for a Ridley Scott film these days?

< Message edited by vad3r -- 4/4/2011 4:32:05 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: RIDLEY SCOTT Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI