Good viking films?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Good viking films? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 10:29:49 AM   
Number24

Are there any good viking films? 'Cause personally I have never seen one!
Post #: 1
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 10:38:13 AM   
jonson

I guess there is excellent The Vikings, starring Kirk Douglas and his chin, and obviously Eric the Viking which is pretty shit to be truthful, (IMO) which tried to pass itself as a Monty Python film but I refuse to accept that.
Looking on IMDB there's an Italin film called Viking Massacre which nearly sounds good but actually doesn't, although it is directed by Mario Bava so may be worth a long-ship, I mean shot.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 2
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 10:43:56 AM   
Timon

Completely authentic.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 10:45:44 AM   
clownfoot

The 13th Warrior is great fun and I proper enjoyed Outlander. I was expecting it to be a completely daft over the top jaunt, as you would with a film that crosses the 13th Warrior with Predator, but even though it's actually more serious than that it still had a good amount of gore, death, mutilation and Ron Pearlman. Yay!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 10:49:57 AM   
Timon

You've seen it?!?!? AWESOME! More details!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 10:57:35 AM   
BudBaxter

Is Pathfinder really as bad as everyone say it is?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 10:59:00 AM   
Timon

Nope, I enjoyed it. Granted I was drunk at the time, it was Friday and was watching it with a lovely pizza cheering whenever anyone was beheaded and Moon Goodblood got naked....but, no. It's not as bad as everyone says. It's not good... but it's not terrible.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 7
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 11:02:27 AM   
clownfoot

Outlander is a solid three stars. Good action, good amount of gore, the sci-fi theme is nicely played out and stays resolutley in the background allowing for more Norsical elements to shine through - including a great setpiece involving running on shields during a feast - but its nowhere neaar as good as 13th Warrior. I put this down to the film focusing too much on the leads and not giving enough room to care about subsidary vikings (unlike the 13th Warrior where it focused on all 13 heroes looking to enter the Halls of Valhalla) and no Dennis Storhoi - "It's all right, little brother... there are more!" Plus, the alien is no Predator, and is a little disappointing come the end. 

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 27/2/2009 11:03:34 AM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 11:38:41 AM   
Maria Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Outlander is a solid three stars. Good action, good amount of gore, the sci-fi theme is nicely played out and stays resolutley in the background allowing for more Norsical elements to shine through - including a great setpiece involving running on shields during a feast - but its nowhere neaar as good as 13th Warrior. I put this down to the film focusing too much on the leads and not giving enough room to care about subsidary vikings (unlike the 13th Warrior where it focused on all 13 heroes looking to enter the Halls of Valhalla) and no Dennis Storhoi - "It's all right, little brother... there are more!" Plus, the alien is no Predator, and is a little disappointing come the end. 

This is actually one of my favourite films. Vladimir Kulich is brilliant as the head viking, as is Dennis Storhoi as Clownfoot mentioned. It's worth watching for this scene alone*.

*Don't click the link if you don't want the ending spoiled for you.

The latest Beowulf is worth a look too. There's a dragon in it!

< Message edited by Maria Noir -- 27/2/2009 11:40:23 AM >

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 9
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 12:59:55 PM   
Number24

Eric the Viking is OK, but a comedy. Outlander also includes aliens, so it doesn't count. The 13th Warrior an Pathfinder are shi ..... not good. I haven't seen The Vikings, but I suspect it's old hollywood with horned helmets and shieldmaidens. The viking genre is a steph child of  cinema, just like pirate movies were before The Pirates of the Carrabian - films came. I hope hollywood makes a straight (and good) viking film vith a big budget. Imagine Mel Gibson directing Viggo Mortensen in a viking film! 
I have hopes for the danish movie Valhalla Rising, starring Mads Mikkelsen. It has a huge budget (by danish standards) and the script is written by the norwegian author Roy Jacobsen. Jacobsen has written the very good viking - themed novel Frost. The director is  Nicolas Winding Refn, the man behind the Pusher movies.
Could this be the first really good viking film?  

(in reply to Maria Noir)
Post #: 10
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 2:54:44 PM   
Timon

How about the Swedish film Arn?

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1409054

I think that was about Vikings joining The Crusades.

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 11
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 3:00:36 PM   
Mason Verger

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 3:06:21 PM   
Timon

Not really Vikings, more Picts, Irish and Celts BUT still featuring raiding parties and the like is Tristan and Isolde. Don't be put off by the romantic side of it, it's a good film with a solid cast in Mark Strong, Rufus Sewell, Dexter Fletcher, David O'Hara and the like.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 13
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 3:27:57 PM   
Cuchulainn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

How about the Swedish film Arn?

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1409054

I think that was about Vikings joining The Crusades.

You can watch this on YouTube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex6vtvn8k7E

The music is very cool,btw...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 6:55:52 PM   
LangdonJr

Arn isn't about Vikings, It's about a Knights Templar from sweden and crusade to the holy land.
Arn believed God, the Vikings didn't.

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 15
RE: Good viking films? - 27/2/2009 6:58:22 PM   
Timon

Ok, how about Severed Ways? Comes out soon

Trailer - http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=severedways

(in reply to LangdonJr)
Post #: 16
RE: Good viking films? - 28/2/2009 12:45:34 PM   
Number24

Tristan and Isolde, Flesh + Blood and the Arn-films are all medieval films, not viking films. The two first movies don't even involve scandinavians! Parts of the Arn films take place in Sweden (before Sweden became Sweden), but takes place about 100 years after the viking age ended. In Scandinavia 750/800 AD to 10030/1050 AD is considered the viking age, followed by the middle ages. This also disqualifies Beowulf because it's a gothic (as in "a story by the goth civilzation) legend and set before the viking period.      

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: Good viking films? - 28/2/2009 12:53:55 PM   
Number24

quote:

ORIGINAL: LangdonJr

Arn isn't about Vikings, It's about a Knights Templar from sweden and crusade to the holy land.

Christianity became the norm in Scandinavia and Iceland in the last 100 years of the viking age. aseveral famous viking kings brutally spread the word of "The White Christ", Including Olav the Holy and Harald Hardraade.
So many vikings were christians.

(in reply to LangdonJr)
Post #: 18
RE: Good viking films? - 2/3/2009 2:02:46 PM   
Number24

Has anyone seen the Icelandic Raven trilogy by Hrafn Gunnlaugson? They are When the Raven flies (1984),  Shadow of the Raven (1988) and The White Viking (1991).
I  haven't, but i hear it's in the realistic, gritty and violent tradition.

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 19
RE: Good viking films? - 2/3/2009 2:08:08 PM   
Timon

Prince Valiant - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047365/ 

The Long Ships - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057259/

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 20
RE: Good viking films? - 2/3/2009 6:41:29 PM   
Number24

Those two films are viking films i guess, Timon. But the title of the thread says Good  viking films ....

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: Good viking films? - 2/3/2009 6:50:11 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Number24

quote:

ORIGINAL: LangdonJr

Christianity became the norm in Scandinavia and Iceland in the last 100 years of the viking age. aseveral famous viking kings brutally spread the word of "The White Christ", Including Olav the Holy and Harald Hardraade.
So many vikings were christians.

But not Knights Templar - those dates preclude it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 22
RE: Good viking films? - 3/3/2009 6:24:46 PM   
robert.bjarnason

Check out When the Raven flies,  Shadow of the Raven and The White Viking (Embla) here http://vikingfilms.streamburst.tv/

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 23
RE: Good viking films? - 4/3/2009 12:21:06 PM   
Number24

Have you seen the Raven films, Bjarnason?  And are they any good?

And the nights Templars came after the vikings, that's right.

(in reply to robert.bjarnason)
Post #: 24
RE: Good viking films? - 15/3/2009 1:52:13 AM   
davidjthomson

Perhaps this should be in NAME THE FILM, but i have memories of a TV movie with Lee Majors as the leader of a viking expedition that discovered America. 

Anyone else remember this one?

Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 25
RE: Good viking films? - 16/3/2009 7:55:17 AM   
Number24

I found the film on INMD. It must be The Norsman.

There is only one thing that makes a viking film sillier than horned helmets, and that's winged helmets.
The "viking" on the poster has a winged helmet. Thanks for trying!

(in reply to davidjthomson)
Post #: 26
RE: Good viking films? - 16/3/2009 7:58:09 AM   
rupert303

What about The Vikings?

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 27
RE: Good viking films? - 19/3/2009 4:58:42 PM   
robert.bjarnason

Number24:  Yes, I have seen all three Viking (Raven) Trilogy films and the are great.  They are all quite different, the first was relatively low budget but still portray the vikings in a true light.  The second one is a higher budget film featuring amazing outdoors scenes.  The third is a recent directors cut of the white-viking and mainly takes place in Norway.

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 28
RE: Good viking films? - 23/9/2009 2:15:47 PM   
Number24

Now I have seen "The Raven Flies" too. I think it's the first good viking film I'v seen.The film had a very  low budget, but but it had it's heart in the right place. You could also be led to believe that knife-throwing was the way vikings usually fought, and not with spears, swords and axes. The reason why they fight throwing-knives in the movie is the influence from  spagetti westerns, Sergio Leone especially. That influence is very clear. The film is really a cross between the sagas and "A fistful of dollars" and "Yojimbo".  

I found the Directors cut on Iceland. A lady I talked to said she had talked with the director (there are only 300 000 people in Iceland).  She said the reason why "The shadow of the Raven" isn't available on-dvd is the director is working on a Directors cut.  

(in reply to robert.bjarnason)
Post #: 29
RE: Good viking films? - 24/9/2009 9:57:45 AM   
MovieMogul666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Number24

Eric the Viking is OK, but a comedy. Outlander also includes aliens, so it doesn't count. The 13th Warrior an Pathfinder are shi ..... not good. I haven't seen The Vikings, but I suspect it's old hollywood with horned helmets and shieldmaidens. The viking genre is a steph child of  cinema, just like pirate movies were before The Pirates of the Carrabian - films came. I hope hollywood makes a straight (and good) viking film vith a big budget. Imagine Mel Gibson directing Viggo Mortensen in a viking film! 
I have hopes for the danish movie Valhalla Rising, starring Mads Mikkelsen. It has a huge budget (by danish standards) and the script is written by the norwegian author Roy Jacobsen. Jacobsen has written the very good viking - themed novel Frost. The director is  Nicolas Winding Refn, the man behind the Pusher movies.
Could this be the first really good viking film?  

Some excellent points, but i dont think the first 3, Outlander, 13th Warrior and Pathfinder are that bad!! Especially Outlander.
But, it is a shame that there hasnt been a modern take on some Viking myths in the vein of Kingdom of Heaven or Troy. It deserves some serious money throwing at a movie.
Not heard of Valhall Rising, but will definately check out now.
Cheers

Awesome sites:
www.empireonline.com
movie T-shirts by www.nerdoh.co.uk
www.dcfc.co.uk

"...im not special, ive never been special, but my work is..."

(in reply to Number24)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Good viking films? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI