Brad Pitt

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Brad Pitt Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brad Pitt - 27/2/2009 12:39:50 AM   
movie_man2006

I believe he is the most underrated actor today. People seem to forget just how good he is mainly because of the media overexposure and because of his good looks. He is a gifted character actor, and 2008 reminded us of that. He gave two great performances: in Burn After Reading, his goofy Chad was the film's highlight and he stole all the scenes he was in. But it was his Oscar nominated-turn in Benjamin Button that proved just how a powerful actor he can be. Subtle, yet incredibly emotional, he was the movie's heart and soul. Next up for him are two of the most anticipated movies of '09: Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds and Terrence Malick's Tree of Life, in which he shares the screen with Sean Penn, who beat him at the Oscars this year.

Top 5 Brad Pitt Performances:
Jesse James in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Benjamin Button in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Tyler Durden in Fight Club
Jeffrey Goines in Twelve Monkeys
Richard Jones in Babel

Post #: 1
RE: Brad Pitt - 27/2/2009 12:49:24 AM   
richCie

definately agree, he is a fantastic actor who has had the good fortune (and sense) to star in a number of superb films, many of which you've already listed. very much looking foward to Inglourious Basterds and Tree of Life, the former largely because Pitt was so class in the trailer, although i'll admit the main reason i'm looking forward to Tree of Life is cos it's a Terrance Malick film...

WITH FUCKING DINOSAURS!

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to movie_man2006)
Post #: 2
RE: Brad Pitt - 27/2/2009 2:23:40 AM   
TheManWithLessShame

Interview with a vampire 5/5
Babel 4/5
Jesse James 5/5 
Thelma And Louise 4/5
Bejamin Button 5/5
True romance 5/5
Fight Club 5/5
Snatch 3/5
Oceans's 11 5/5
Oceans' 13 4/5
Burn after reading 4/5
12 monkeys 5/5
Mr and mrs Smith 4/5
Troy 3/5
Se7en 5/5

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 3
RE: Brad Pitt - 27/2/2009 2:11:04 PM   
ElephantBoy

I take it your a big fan based on the ratings?!
He's a much improved actor no question and has been in many more roles of subtensce and more varity.
I don't think anyone could claim he's the most underated actor working today though.
For one he's too bigger star, and number two he has been getting a secisson of plum roles. 
For me although very watchable, and in a good number of great Films, Pitt will never be a great actor bec because to really shine he relies on a good script or director, yes he has christma and a good look, but can not a lot else, and is unable to carry a film without a great part, strong direction and good script, Fight Club is a good example.

(in reply to TheManWithLessShame)
Post #: 4
RE: Brad Pitt - 2/3/2009 4:33:01 AM   
Incanus

I think he's underrated, a victim perhaps of his own image and early acting career. But as it's been pointed out before me, he's shown remarkable progress and is today one of those actors whose career, if uneven, still exhibits a measure of maturity garnered through work. I think he's got a brilliant future ahead of him, and although I don't expect him to rise to levels similar to Daniel Day Lewis, the early De Niro, et al., he will still make an excellent member of that certain category of stars, which includes Harrison Ford, James Stewart, Gene Hackman, et al., actors whose performances ranged from decent to sturdy, even if they won't go down in history books as amazing by thespian measures.

I agree with ElephantBoy, in that he still cannot seem to be able to master his artistic expression into producing the profound, human emotional effect of three-dimensional characters. I find him to be trapped occasionally in his own appreciation of what an iconic presence should look like when captured in film, how his character should comport himself, so that we saw more of Brad Pitt and less of Jesse James on the silver screen, but then again it might just be me and my own preconceptions.

I also find some of the mannerisms employed in his performances to lack the suave smoothness of several of his peers, like in 12 Monkeys or The Mexican, but still one should appreciate his youthful drive and passionate motivation to experiment and please his director and audience. I think he likes to please his directors first, and that makes him a good professional.

< Message edited by Incanus -- 2/3/2009 4:46:21 AM >

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Brad Pitt - 2/3/2009 2:40:21 PM   
ElephantBoy

Funnier enough i watched Twelve Monkeys over the weekend, and while i thought it was a excellent film, i did think Pitt was the one weak cog in the acting sense.   Over the top in a different way to Seven a film he almost reined too.

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 6
RE: Brad Pitt - 4/9/2009 11:44:09 PM   
jamesheath91

I have to agree, I think Brad Pitt is an incredible actor. He has been brilliant in everything I have seen him in.
Especially fantastic in Fight Club.
Also great in Seven, Benjamin Button, Mr and Mrs Smith.

He was the only enjoyable part of Burn After Reading. SPOILER: until he got killed off.

SPOILER OVER.

Also one performance of his I love is his guest spot on Friends. One of the best episodes just because of his character.

Tell it to the cleaning lady on monday.

Post #: 7
RE: Brad Pitt - 5/9/2009 2:32:56 PM   
Busra

I have to agree with movieman that he's the most underrated actor now. Probably because most people couldn't see his talent behind his amazing apperance and because the media's always talked about his private life much more than his successes in the films.

But I think people have started to be aware of his accomplishments gradually, although many tabloids still make up stories about his private life to earn some money.

Anyway I think his performances are improving and he'll be an unforgettable actor.

My Top 5 Brad Pitt Performances:
1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2. Fight Club
3. Babel
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. Inglorious Basterds

"My God, what just happened? I could hear your gears grinding- rrr,rrr,rrr-and your little motor wondering, 'My Gosh, what's next, what's happening to me?' You were precious to behold, Bob. You were white as spit in a cotton field!" Jesse James

(in reply to jamesheath91)
Post #: 8
RE: Brad Pitt - 5/9/2009 3:22:40 PM   
ElephantBoy

The problem i have with Brad Pitt is i don't think he's really improved that much as an actor in the last ten years, it may seem like he has because he's been in a better standed of film recently.  But bascially you can sum his career up as a actor whose at his best when he's given a meaty role, as colorful character with chrisma, but also a little rough around the edges(as in Fight Club) other wise his performances range from watchable to very avenge, unlike someone like Leo who can say has improved in recent years, i don't see Pitt improving or for that matter getting any worse for the rest of his career.

(in reply to movie_man2006)
Post #: 9
RE: Brad Pitt - 8/9/2009 7:51:17 PM   
AngryDude92

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

The problem i have with Brad Pitt is i don't think he's really improved that much as an actor in the last ten years, it may seem like he has because he's been in a better standed of film recently.  But bascially you can sum his career up as a actor whose at his best when he's given a meaty role, as colorful character with chrisma, but also a little rough around the edges(as in Fight Club) other wise his performances range from watchable to very avenge, unlike someone like Leo who can say has improved in recent years, i don't see Pitt improving or for that matter getting any worse for the rest of his career.

Hay. Shut up

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

Post #: 10
RE: Brad Pitt - 10/9/2009 1:56:29 PM   
ElephantBoy

What can isay i'm the man whose tells it like it is!

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 11
RE: Brad Pitt - 12/9/2009 9:46:59 PM   
prontron07

i think he has gotten better over the years and he was amazing back in the fight club days 

You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Post #: 12
RE: Brad Pitt - 14/9/2009 4:22:44 PM   
ElephantBoy

No Fight Club was an amazing role for him and he stepped up, however he has never been for me a amzing actor.

(in reply to prontron07)
Post #: 13
RE: Brad Pitt - 19/9/2009 4:38:42 AM   
JoeyPottr

He's been pretty in movies, he's been gritty in movies, he's been nutty in movies, he's been understated in movies, I think his best work is ahead of him, but Inglorious Basterds was not a stretch for Pitt.

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 14
RE: Brad Pitt - 29/9/2009 11:50:15 PM   
Ezzieblue

Yes I agree, he is definitely underrated because of his looks. But now that he's pushing his age, his looks aren't that striking either, especially with that goatee of his. Then again, that's my personal opinion.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 15
RE: Brad Pitt - 30/9/2009 12:59:42 AM   
hiptobesquare_x

I wouldn't say he's underrated. I think he's a good actor, and really has stepped up and delivered some fantastic performances (Chad in Burn After Reading is my favourite of his) but I think he maybe needs to show a bit more range. Now that may seem an odd thing to say given Benjamin Button, Fight Club etc, but he always plays a sort of type, the only performance I felt of his that was quite nuanced and subtle was actually in Interview With The Vampire, but not throughout. He's great but sometimes I don't think he seems completely invested in whatever it is he's portraying. Like in Troy, there's a scene in which he finds out his cousin is dead and his reaction didn't make you feel anything, it may have been how Achilles would have reacted and what not, but sometimes it's like he's performing something but not believing in it (how pretentious and arty farty that sounds...) if that makes sense. And I agree with the point about Inglourious, it's a fun role, not a challanging one.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to Ezzieblue)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Brad Pitt Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI