Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Outsider by Albert Camus

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Outsider by Albert Camus Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Outsider by Albert Camus - 26/2/2009 7:24:11 PM   
ky

Anyone else read this masterpiece? What do we think?

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/
Post #: 1
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 26/2/2009 7:25:57 PM   
Olaf

I agree, amazing book. Definitely in my top 5, I can just read it again and again.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 2
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 26/2/2009 9:10:00 PM   
BlueBalls

Albert Camus is one of my favourite athours and The Outsider is a brilliant book, not my favourite Camus book. But still brilliant.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 27/2/2009 12:09:02 AM   
richCie

really enjoyed this, got it recommedned by my Film Studies teacher actually.
anyone read any other Camus? what ones come recommended?

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 4
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 27/2/2009 2:00:21 PM   
BlueBalls

^^^

The Fall
The Plague (my personal favourite)
The Rebel

There are more, but I have not gotten around to reading them yet, but you cant go wrong with the three I have listed, they are all in there own way brilliant.

quote:

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 5
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 27/2/2009 5:12:51 PM   
moontheloon

Now this was a book I just couldn't put down, Read it in an afternoon, wonderful book, one of my favourites, love it.

I bought two new Camus books today, The Myth Of Sisyphus and the Fastidious Assassins. More essays than novels I think, but they sounded really very interesting.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 6
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 27/2/2009 5:23:46 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueBalls

^^^

The Fall
The Rebel

There are more, but I have not gotten around to reading them yet, but you cant go wrong with the three I have listed, they are all in there own way brilliant.

cool i'll have a look round the charity shops and that, cos theres no way i'm paying like 6 (cheapest on amazon...) for his books when they're so short. i really want the outsider to own but no way i'm paying any more than 2 for it, cos it's too short to justify it.

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 7
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 27/2/2009 5:41:17 PM   
BlueBalls

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: BlueBalls

^^^

The Fall
The Rebel

cool i'll have a look round the charity shops and that, cos theres no way i'm paying like 6 (cheapest on amazon...) for his books when they're so short. i really want the outsider to own but no way i'm paying any more than 2 for it, cos it's too short to justify it.

Thats the smart way to go about it, paying 5.99 or whatever for a book thats just over 100 pages is idiotic, but I continue to do so, so I guess Im an idiot

quote:

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 8
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 27/2/2009 5:57:45 PM   
moontheloon

click

It's on ebay with a low bid currently, all the others seem to be high prices... higher than RRP which confuses me... there is also a first edition for like 1300... But yeah, this could be a good place to start.

I also looked at amazon... I had forgotten how high shipping on books was... 2.75! Sure you can get books on there for a penny sometimes, but that is really quite high, especially considering that as the book is so thin it wouldn't cost that much to ship at all!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to BlueBalls)
Post #: 9
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 28/2/2009 2:29:10 PM   
ky

quote:

I bought two new Camus books today, The Myth Of Sisyphus and the Fastidious Assassins. More essays than novels I think, but they sounded really very interesting.

The myth of Sisyphus is one long essay, but there's a few bonus ones included too (assuming you got the Penguin Classics edition). However, be warned - it is VERY complex, and I lost track of what he was actually saying most of the time.... or maybe I'm just dumb

I'm surprised I got so many replies. Anyone else enjoy Eugene Ionesco's work?

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 10
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 28/2/2009 5:22:35 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

click

It's on ebay with a low bid currently, all the others seem to be high prices... higher than RRP which confuses me... there is also a first edition for like 1300... But yeah, this could be a good place to start.

I also looked at amazon... I had forgotten how high shipping on books was... 2.75! Sure you can get books on there for a penny sometimes, but that is really quite high, especially considering that as the book is so thin it wouldn't cost that much to ship at all!

you could probably post the outside in a letter...

anyway i asked the used book stall man if he had any idea and he reckons he does, and is gonna try dig em out and considering he's a fellow trader i shud get em nice and cheap (paperbacks are normally a quid :P) so hopefully i'll b able to save alot of money

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 11
RE: The Outsider by Albert Camus - 28/2/2009 8:21:34 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: ky

quote:

The myth of Sisyphus is one long essay, but there's a few bonus ones included too (assuming you got the Penguin Classics edition). However, be warned - it is VERY complex, and I lost track of what he was actually saying most of the time.... or maybe I'm just dumb

I'm surprised I got so many replies. Anyone else enjoy Eugene Ionesco's work?

I got the penguin great ideas ones. Not started reading the myth of sisyphus yet, but I am reading the fastidious assassins. It's about how hope for the future lies only in revolt without revolution. I am currently preparing a piece of work promoting reform over revolution for my uni course so it has been very useful from a philosophical stanpoint (instead of a political or economic one like my other sources)

However, It is hard to read, I often find myself going back over passages re-reading them again and again until I make some sense out of them. This is not because of his writing style, it's better than some philosophy I have read, it is just deep stuff. I'm on chapter 5, and Eventually I think I will understand it, but sometimes when you read it enough, the idea just appears to you. It's been very useful.

Still, I'd prefer to read the Outsider again, or some of his other novels, more enjoyable at least, less exhausting to read

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Outsider by Albert Camus Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI