Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 29/12/2011 7:57:49 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Issue 1 comes at the special price of £2.99 (€5.50).
Issue 2 comes at the special price of £6.99 (€11.99).
Issue 3 onwards is priced at £9.99 (€15.99).

I'd say euro customers are getting royally screwed.

How are they figuring those numbers?! £10 is a little under €12. What an absolute rip off.

Also, you can get the first Ultimates trader for around £6.80 here (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Ultimates-Super-human-v-1-Mark-Millar/9780785109600)  The first one or two are probably worth getting though

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 91
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/12/2011 8:10:42 AM   
juanvasquez

decided to get the first 3 (at a total of £9.98) and see what they're like and if they're worth the money, as after the 3rd issue you get 2 a month and I really can't afford £20 a month without making sacrifices else where.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 92
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 16/1/2012 2:29:30 AM   
Zaphod121

Can anyone recommend me the best Spider-Man stories? The only one's I've read properly are Ultimate Spider-Man.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 93
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 16/1/2012 11:51:50 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Actually I've always quite liked the Marvel Masterworks Hardbacks which repeated Spidey from the start with the Lee/Ditko storys. BUT! be wary they are a bit pricey.

< Message edited by Wild about Wilder -- 16/1/2012 11:52:22 AM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 94
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 16/1/2012 1:20:26 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Actually I've always quite liked the Marvel Masterworks Hardbacks which repeated Spidey from the start with the Lee/Ditko storys. BUT! be wary they are a bit pricey.

They're in B&W, aren't they?

Marvel really need to sort out their trade line. Constantly letting things go out of print, incomplete runs, numerous versions of the same trade.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 95
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 16/1/2012 1:48:21 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

They're in B&W, aren't they?

Marvel really need to sort out their trade line. Constantly letting things go out of print, incomplete runs, numerous versions of the same trade.

no, it's the Essentials that are in B&W (big phonebook style things printed on cheap paper). The Masterworks are in colour and printed on better paper, but as mentioned above they're pretty expensive. That said, a lot of them have been reprinted in paperback and are much more affordable - no idea about Spider-Man, but my Stan/Jack FF TPBs were cheap enough and in this format:

and the Essentials:

< Message edited by Olaf -- 16/1/2012 1:49:53 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 96
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/1/2013 5:45:10 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Thanks for the link Sharky, i totally forgot about this thread!

As to Brundleflies original query:

quote:

Greetings all. I'm looking for some recommendations for comics/graphic novels to pick up.I've read a few over the years - was a major Marvel reader in my youth, Spider-man being a major fave - and picked up a few of the 'classics' in my latter years.To give you a bit of a clue, the ones I've picked up to date are:Watchmen From Hell Maus Dark Knight Returns - Dark Knight Strikes Back -  + - hated this, tried to finish it three times now but just can't get thruBatman: Year One The Killing Joke Arkham Asylum Batman The Long Halloween - just startedV For Vendetta - Wolverine - Claremont & Miller The Walking Dead - Days Gone Bye  Was OK but didn't grab me as I was expecting. Don't plan on picking any more up as I'm enjoying the TV SeriesDaredevil - Miller/Janson Vol 2 - not read them all yet, but loved these as a teenHellboy - Seed of Destruction - not read yetOn order:Captain Britain vol 3, 4 & 5 - read these back in the days of Hulk weekly/Daredevils magazines and have wanted to re-read for agesI'm really looking at either graphic novels or comic collections - not individual issues so much. Now I realise there's a lot of superhero ones up there, but I'm interested in any genre really.Open to suggestions

My suggestions for comics to read would be as follows;

The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire
Saga Vol 1 by Brian K. Vaughan
Prophet Vol 1 by Brandon Graham
Leviathan by Ian Edginton

Hellboy series by Mike Mignola
B.P.R.D Hardcover books 1 - 4

Y The Last Man Volume 1 - 10 or Hardcover books 1-5

Habibi by Craig Thompson ( a must read! One of the most achingly beautiful graphic novel of the past few years)

As i take you've read quite a lot of Marvel, have you tried Marvel's more mature line of comics from Marvel Max? If not i really recommend The Punisher Max Vol 1-10 by Garth Ennis; its a superb series with some awesome stories in it. Each volume can be read as a standalone story but it does help if you start from the begining. Also look out for Punisher: Born Again, its a great starting point before you start the series.

And as you've read quite a few titles by Alan Moore, can i suggest The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 1 & 2? Its a superb comic which is still on going, but the first two books are a must read/ must buy.

Most of the titles mentioned above, you can find reviews for them in the thread i started in the Comic Shack. I highly recommend them!

EDIT: oh just remebered, if you have the time or the money then you must check out Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, if there is a better comic series out there than this, than i'll eat my shoes!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 23/1/2013 5:56:43 PM >

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to thebiggerboat)
Post #: 97
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/1/2013 6:32:38 PM   
Brundlesflies

Cheers for the recommendations Nexus, I think I'll give Sandman a go, have heard good things.
Also League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - if only to try and banish the memory of the godawful film

Also, thanks Sharkboy for the thread, I figured there probably was one on here but couldn't find it. Will have a read thru over the next few days, see if I can really dent the wallet!

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 98
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/1/2013 6:38:08 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah read Sandman, it's pretty much the best thing I've read. Ever.

Another shout out for Saga as well. It's my favourite monthly comic book of last year alongside Underwater Welder as the best original Graphic Novel.

I'd also recommend picking up the trades for Scott Snyder's Batman, Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing, Jeff Lemire's Animal Man, Mark Waid's Daredevil, Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force and Kelly Sue DeConnick' s Captain Marvel. Also keep an eye out for Matt Fraction's Hawkeye when it's released. It's been nothing short of a revelation IMO.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 23/1/2013 6:40:01 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 99
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/1/2013 7:45:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brundlesflies

Cheers for the recommendations Nexus, I think I'll give Sandman a go, have heard good things.
Also League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - if only to try and banish the memory of the godawful film

Also, thanks Sharkboy for the thread, I figured there probably was one on here but couldn't find it. Will have a read thru over the next few days, see if I can really dent the wallet!

Lol. Yeah its best to put the memories of that abomination of an adaption to one side; Moore's original comic is very close to a masterpiece and what the film did was shit all over it.

Post #: 100
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/1/2013 8:24:02 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

quote:

Lol. Yeah its best to put the memories of that abomination of an adaption to one side; Moore's original comic is very close to a masterpiece and what the film did was shit all over it.

Although best to stop after the second one I found as it is the law of diminishing returns with regards to that comic.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 23/1/2013 8:25:21 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 101
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/1/2013 11:28:24 PM   
furrybastard

I'd recommend Top Ten and Swamp Thing over League if you want to read more Alan Moore stuff, to be honest.

I'd second all the suggestions above so I'm going to go a bit leftfield here and recommend...

Daytripper by Gabriel Bá and Fabio Moon

A self-contained, ten issue series by the brilliant Bá/Moon team. The story revolves around an obituary writer whose father dies at the beginning of the story. To say anymore would spoil it; it's just a really well-told story about life, death and all that other stuff.

Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacco

Comics journalism is a relatively new field but Sacco is the master of it for the last two decades. This covers the Bosnian/Serbian conflict, taking a look not just at the causes and consequences but also what happened at ground level to regular people caught up in the conflict. This book will show you what comics are capable of.

Judge Dredd: America

The definitive Dredd/Mega-City One story. Taken from the perspective of two ordinary citizens of Mega-City One who grow up in a post-apocalytic America run by the totalitarian system of the Judges, who are judge, jury and executioner.

The Manhattan Projects by Jonathan Hickman & Nick Pitarra

Set during the building of the nuclear bomb in Los Alamos in the 40s and featuring Albert Einstein, Robert Oppenheimer, robot nazis, space aliens, Harry Truman as an insane occultist and the disembodied AI of FDR.

Criminal by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips

These can be read in any order really but the first collection is as great a place to start as any. This is probably my favourite comic series. A neo-noir tale of crooks, cowards, heists, betrayal, corruption and femme fatales.

Also: Sandman, 100 Bullets, Fables, BPRD (offshoot of Hellboy), The Unwritten, Punisher MAX, Chew, Glory, Prophet, Saga, Fatale, Beasts of Burden, Blacksad, Ghost World, Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 102
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 24/1/2013 1:36:29 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

I'd recommend Top Ten and Swamp Thing over League if you want to read more Alan Moore stuff, to be honest.

I've been looking for a copy of Top Ten to purchase for a while now, but to no avail. The ones i do find on Amazon are either used or bloody expensive, most times both. I did hear someone mention something about an Omnibus edition thats supposed to be released, it was never clarified so i don't know if it'll happen.

But that is definitely a comic i've been aching to read. As for Swamp Thing, i did enjoy it a lot, but i dunno - i find The League more appealing for whatever reason.

Post #: 103
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 24/1/2013 4:15:13 AM   
furrybastard

Admittedly, it has been a while since I've read Moore's Swamp Thing (dear god, it's been EIGHT years!! ) It wasn't perfect by any means and it was where he developed a tendency towards over-descriptive, verbose captions ("the withering blackness of the silky night, like a... withering, silky balck thing") but it was full of ideas and had plenty of horror and suspense too. Some great standalone stories in there too.

I like LOEXG a lot but it never really delivered on its promise for me; maybe there's just too much reliance on references and oblique nods to literature/films/amusements of the past. Of course Top Ten is absolutely chock-a-block full of references and little in-jokes too but they're mostly all comic-based and it doesn't get in the way of the actual story or characters. They generally stay in the background or to the side while LOEXG makes them part of the narrative to a bigger degree.

Hmm it does look like Top Ten is out of print, Nexus. They are doing an Absolute edition for the end of May (CLICK). I expect they'll announce a reprint of the paperbacks soon after that's been released.

Post #: 104
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 24/1/2013 10:33:25 AM   
Brundlesflies

OK - so I've got Sandman TP Vol 01 Preludes & Nocturnes & Marvels TPB on order

I was going to get vol 1 of the LOXG but see that there's a planned Omnibus edition due out in Sept so may hold off til then
CLICKY

Also really liking the look of these:

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

Post #: 105
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 24/1/2013 10:45:49 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

OK - so I've got Sandman TP Vol 01 Preludes & Nocturnes & Marvels TPB on order

I was going to get vol 1 of the LOXG but see that there's a planned Omnibus edition due out in Sept so may hold off til then
CLICKY

Also really liking the look of these:

Thats great to hear!

And anything furry suggests is always a bonus; god knows the amount of new comics i discovered thanks to him -the guys my comic guru!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 24/1/2013 9:34:58 PM >

Post #: 106
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 24/1/2013 10:48:20 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Admittedly, it has been a while since I've read Moore's Swamp Thing (dear god, it's been EIGHT years!! ) It wasn't perfect by any means and it was where he developed a tendency towards over-descriptive, verbose captions ("the withering blackness of the silky night, like a... withering, silky balck thing") but it was full of ideas and had plenty of horror and suspense too. Some great standalone stories in there too.

I like LOEXG a lot but it never really delivered on its promise for me; maybe there's just too much reliance on references and oblique nods to literature/films/amusements of the past. Of course Top Ten is absolutely chock-a-block full of references and little in-jokes too but they're mostly all comic-based and it doesn't get in the way of the actual story or characters. They generally stay in the background or to the side while LOEXG makes them part of the narrative to a bigger degree.

Hmm it does look like Top Ten is out of print, Nexus. They are doing an Absolute edition for the end of May (CLICK). I expect they'll announce a reprint of the paperbacks soon after that's been released.

Cheers for that mate!

Post #: 107
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 25/1/2013 8:25:14 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

And anything furry suggests is always a bonus; god knows the amount of new comics i discovered thanks to him -the guys my comic guru!

I was looking for the most guru-esque emoticon I could find and so decided on that one.

Really though, more people need to read Daytripper!

Post #: 108
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 25/1/2013 9:16:57 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

I was looking for the most guru-esque emoticon I could find and so decided on that one.

Really though, more people need to read Daytripper!

By the way, i am going to order Daytripper next month, its a cert. I remember you recommending it on the other thread a while back but i totally forgot about it - but not this time! I'm also planning on getting The Incal; i mean Moebius, the guys a freakin' comic legend in my view!

Post #: 109
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/4/2013 5:52:34 PM   
ChickMagnet

So I'm wanting to get into Green Lantern, where would people suggest is the best place to start? (Pleeeeeeeeeeeease be one I can get on my Kindle as I'm eager to try online Graphic Novels as well and see this as the perfect opportunity)

Post #: 110
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/4/2013 6:33:25 PM   
sanchia

If you wanted to start with some of the more modern Green Lantern stories a good jumping on point would be The Sinestro Corp War which I think is about a fiver for a Kindle edition (hopefully a tablet as they are useless on the Kindle books). You can pretty much get the idea of what is going on without having to bother with all the backstory and it is the start of the present layout for the Lantern stories.

alternatively you could go for Green Lantern Rebirth which was the real start to the storyline with Hal Jordan returning (although weaker as a story).

< Message edited by sanchia -- 23/4/2013 6:34:41 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 111
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/4/2013 6:53:26 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I'd suggest you start at Rebirth. I wasn't very familiar with the character about a year ago so I read pretty much from Rebirth onwards and I've been mostly enjoying it.

Green Lantern Corps Recharge started at around the same time as well and from what I've read of that it's a bit more interesting by virtue of having more characters.

They need to prune the GL Universe at the moment IMO which I hope the current, massively disappointing, Wrath of the First Lantern crossover will do. There's a lot going on in the Universe at the moment but probably not enough to sustain 4 monthly titles, at the very least they need to get rid of the mostly risible Red Lanterns.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 112
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/4/2013 7:22:15 PM   
ChickMagnet

Thanks for the suggestions guys, ended up going with Rebirth which was less than £5 on my Kindle, am not too sure about Graphic Novels on it yet, but it seemed readable enough! If I really like the novel I may wait till the end of June when me and the wife are off to a convention in Manchester, see if we can pick a couple of the paperbacks up.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 113
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 16/6/2013 9:20:11 AM   
burnie

Haven't read through all of the posts, so apologies if these have been mentioned.
Give Me Liberty, (imo Frank Millers best work.)
Bone
Crossed (walking dead on steroids)
Wolverine: Old Man Logan
Superior
Nemesis
Irredeemable (what happens when the Plutonian,the worlds greatest superman goes bad)
Incorruptible (side story to the above)
Superman: Red Son

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 114
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI