Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 7/1/2011 11:48:06 PM   
Gram123

I've wanted Watchmen since before the movie was made, but never got round to buying it. So I asked for it as my first ever graphic novel this Christmas.
And then Santy went and brought me:

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 61
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/1/2011 11:10:54 AM   
sanchia

Brubaker's criminal is a very nice modern noir comic.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 62
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/1/2011 1:13:41 PM   
Olaf

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 63
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/1/2011 6:44:08 PM   
furrybastard

Black Hole is very, very strange.  Burns has a new one out recently called X'ed Out, seems to be his bizarre take on Tintin!

Criminal is brilliant, probably my favourite new ongoing (if you can call it that) of the last few years!  Incognito (and Sleeper) are also worth checking out, both from the same team.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 64
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/1/2011 7:33:35 PM   
sanchia

I seem to remember seeing that Incognito was going to have sequel. I think the first issue has already been released.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 65
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/1/2011 7:52:39 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Black Hole is very, very strange.  Burns has a new one out recently called X'ed Out, seems to be his bizarre take on Tintin!

I've only recently gotten into his work (got this and Big Baby), love it. I can spend ages just staring at his art, which is weirdly quite beautiful (as well as being really unsettling..). I need to pick up X'ed Out soon, just because I need more of his work.

I also got this recently enough, which I can't recommend enough:

< Message edited by Olaf -- 8/1/2011 7:53:23 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 66
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/1/2011 9:21:45 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I seem to remember seeing that Incognito was going to have sequel. I think the first issue has already been released.

Second issue was out last week. It's good but I prefer Criminal. Most of Brubaker's non-superhero fare is very good, Scene of the Crime, Sleeper, Gotham Central (ok, it's kinda superhero-ey!).  I haven't read his Daredevil run, his X-men stuff was kind of dull and Captain America started off brilliantly but has taken a bit of a nose-dive over the last three years or so.

Hopefully with Alonso now in charge, he'll play more to his strengths at Marvel!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 67
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/8/2011 3:12:50 PM   
Gram123

As mentioned at the top of this page, I got my first bunch of GNs for xmas, and have thus far read Watchmen (which I didn't like quite as much as I expected to, given all the hype, though I can see why many people like it more than the film), Criminal (which I thought was excellent) and V For Vendetta (which I didn't think I'd be that bothered about - I hadn't asked for it - but it turned out to be really good).

Next up, I guess, will be The Walking Dead, plus I since received the first 3 vols of Transmetropolitan.
So it's early days - Walking Dead is a flippin hefty tome, and assuming I enjoy Transmetro, there's another 7 (?) of those to acquire.
But any recommends as to where I should go next?

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 68
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 16/8/2011 4:56:30 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

It's far from new of course, but I'm reading Maus just now and it's incredible. How much is due to the comic itself and how much is the subject matter, I'm not sure. But it's a bleak, thoroughly depressing, yet essential read

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 69
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 17/8/2011 9:44:48 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Has this been mentioned? Probably my all-time favourite BATMAN story -

And this is a lotta fun too, Bisley is a LEGEND.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 17/8/2011 9:45:57 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 70
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 18/8/2011 11:48:52 AM   
sharkboy

Thumbs up for Maus and The Killing Joke.  Maus really lays rest to the myth that comics are for kids.  The Killing Joke features one of the all-time classic images of Batman and Joker at the end of the book.

As for other recomendations, I'll just repost my thoughts from Page 1 of this thread!

quote:

Hellblazer - now up to over 250 issues, there's a wealth of collected TPBs to keep you going.  See Constantine as he was meant to be, not as Hollywood imagined him.

Books of Magic - or as I like to refer to it, Harry Potter and the Blatant Plagirism.  Really, once you read Gaiman's tales of young mage Tim Hunter, you'll wonder how JK Rowling had the nerve to claim Potter was her idea!

Lucifer - it'll help if you read Sandman first (or at least the Seasons of Mist collection), but if you like your mythology written large, this is the book for you.  And yes, it is that Lucifer.

The Invisibles - Grant Morrison's take on reality (or reality of you've dropped a bucketload of acid at least!).  It is a bit hard to grasp at times, but ultimately very rewarding.

Y -The Last Man - get it now before it becomes the inevitable big budget movie.  A brilliant tale of the last surviving male after a mysterious event kills every other Y-chromosome possessor on the planet.  Best long-running series of the last few years.

Fables - What happens to the fairy tales when their land is invaded by a ruthless despot?  They set up home in New York, that's what.  Good writing and excellent artwork in this and its spin-off "Jack of Fables".

If Watchmen has whet your appetite for superteams, then try The Authority (JLA for grown-ups) or some of the JSA collections (although these may need some understanding of golden/silver age DC characters to really appreciate them - nothing Wiki can't hepl you with though!).

Finally, two that have really impacted with me - Pride of Baghdad and We3.  Both tell the story of animals, and both are written with a compassion and beauty that is hard to beat.  Pride...is Brian K Vaughn's take on the true story that the bombing of Baghdad resulted in the zoo scoring a direct hit and a pride of lions escaping to roam the streets.  Told from the perspective of the animals, it is ultimately a very moving and satisfying tale.  We3 is Grant Morrison's manga-esque tale about an experimental military unit that consists of a dog, a cat and a rabbit, all hard-wired into mechanical exo-skeletons and trained to kill, who escape and rebel against their training.  Great stuff. 

To that I'll now add some Avatar titles - Chronicles of Wormwood, Crossed and Streets of Glory, all from the sick and twisted mind of Garth Ennis, and Warren Ellis's Ignition City, Gravel and Black Summer.  They've also got some interesting takes on licensed characters such as a RoboCop series that was based on the unused scripts that Frank Miller wrote for the 2nd and 3rd movies.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 71
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 18/8/2011 3:54:12 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

The Killing Joke features one of the all-time classic images of Batman and Joker at the end of the book.

Absolutely.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 72
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 19/8/2011 1:42:51 PM   
Drew_231

Seeing as this thread is about two years old, i dont think he needs recommendations anymore. But nevertheless

One of the best Batman comics

The best Tintin

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 73
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 19/8/2011 2:33:04 PM   
Snake-Eyes

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is AWESOME. I actually prefer it to DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, which I always found to be a bit overrated anyway. Hope the upcoming animated version does good!

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 74
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 24/8/2011 3:14:04 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

BATMAN: YEAR ONE is AWESOME. I actually prefer it to DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, which I always found to be a bit overrated anyway. Hope the upcoming animated version does good!

Couldn't agree more. I like TDKR but I think Year One is better on every level. The trailer for the animated film looks great so finger's crossed

< Message edited by Rob -- 24/8/2011 3:15:06 PM >

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 75
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 25/10/2011 4:40:47 AM   
Lorelai

I quite liked the first book of "The Unwritten" by Vertigo Comics, just picked up part two and three.

Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 76
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 29/10/2011 11:40:24 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Anyone read BATMAN; CACOPHONEY by Kevin Smith, yes Keven Smith?!!! Really enjoyed it, some of the writing is freakin- awesome!

JOKER: ''I dont want an empire buddy. Never did. All i want..all i ever wanted is to have a good time. And to annoy Batman, whenever possible, of course. And to one day murder Batman and defile his carcass sexually. And a pony''

LOL!! The Joker is fucking insane in this book!! But you must be warned that it is one of the most graphic violent Batman novels i've read aswell. Kevin Smith doesnt hide the blood, and boy does it flow beautifully!!! I urge any Bat fan to read this comic ASAP! Trust me you will not be dissapointed!!! And i'll sure keep my eyes peeled for more comic works by Kevin Smith!! Never knew the guy from Clerks and Chasing Amy had it in him!!!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Lorelai)
Post #: 77
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 29/10/2011 5:32:29 PM   
petecriss8000

Can't agree with you on that Nex, Kevin Smith is amongst the earth's worst humans (just in general!) and his comics work, what I've read of it, is abysmal: cack-handed, self-referential, brimming with Catholic zeal and without exception without respect for the writers that came before him. From killing Mysterio to having Batman piss himself, he's embarrassed himself and invited criticism from every angle. Having his buddy Walt Flanagan (who you oughtta recognize from his films) illustrate his Batman work with that ugly,UGLY style is further insult.

Sorry! Had to get that off my chest. I despise him so.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 78
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 29/10/2011 8:08:01 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

Can't agree with you on that Nex, Kevin Smith is amongst the earth's worst humans (just in general!) and his comics work, what I've read of it, is abysmal: cack-handed, self-referential, brimming with Catholic zeal and without exception without respect for the writers that came before him. From killing Mysterio to having Batman piss himself, he's embarrassed himself and invited criticism from every angle. Having his buddy Walt Flanagan (who you oughtta recognize from his films) illustrate his Batman work with that ugly,UGLY style is further insult.

Sorry! Had to get that off my chest. I despise him so.

Thanks for the input mate. This was my first Kevin Smith graphic novel, but i'm quite surprised he divides opinions like that in the comic book community!! I think the moment i knew something was not right was in the foreword when he defended his decision to use Walt, even in the face of criticism.

And i can understand why becuase i was not too impressed with the art. The Joker looked so how should we say, un-Jokeresque. I know he's not the most goodlooking of creations, but there was something very offputting about the design. And the 'joke' where the Joker 'offers' himself to the masked killer that rescues him ffrom Arkham was not funny - he's supposed to be the clown prince of crime not a two bit toe rag. Check out the part of Joker in the hospital WITH a shit load of face fuzz, it looked like he pasted it on. I always thought the Joker was blonde underneath that green,, NOT dark haired. And Batman was'nt even in the story a lot of the time. And when he was, he was getting stabbed, shot at, and made to look a dick. More a blundering fool than a superhero!!

That aside, i thought it was an okay read - certainly a very different slant on The Dark Knight. The masked killer is a point of interest for me, esp with the open ending. We see him going to his family; a dual identity, a family man who like Batman has a secret identity, in his case to kill superheroes. I thought that KS was alluding to the fact that the masked killer MIGHT be the character from 'An Innocent man' (from the short by Brian Bolland in The Killing Joke Graphic Novel - revised edition).

So not a bad read. But it may not be everyones cup of tea.

Thanks for the info mate, i'll sure to bare that in mind when and if i do come across another KS story.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 29/10/2011 8:38:11 PM >

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 79
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/10/2011 9:39:42 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I too am in the same boat with you Snake, i think The Dark Knight Returns is one of the best graphic novels, not just the best Batman comic, 'tis a masterpiece without question. But out of the two, TDNR and Batman Year One, i have to go for the latter. The art is the best i've seen in a graphic novel. If you can frame a comic book as a piece of high art, Batman Year One would be it. Also, the story is stunning, Frank Miller sure kneww his comic onions, until of course he started getting all self righteous and big headed, pumping out some bigotted shite like Holy Terror.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 30/10/2011 9:42:49 AM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 80
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/10/2011 2:50:43 PM   
petecriss8000

Have you seen the animated film that was released this month based on Year One? It's the best animated Batfilm since the 1990s, really really good stuff, check it out.

Post #: 81
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/10/2011 2:58:11 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Have you seen the animated film that was released this month based on Year One? It's the best animated Batfilm since the 1990s, really really good stuff, check it out.

I heard about it, but still havent watched it. Will order the DVD definetely. When i heard they were doing Year One animated, i nearly fell off my sofa, jumping up and down with glee *que Joker-esque laughter*

Post #: 82
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/10/2011 3:39:54 PM   
petecriss8000

Yeah, you'll only be able to get the DVD from HMV for the first few months. Of course, there are other ways to see it too 

Post #: 83
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/10/2011 5:17:09 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Yeah, you'll only be able to get the DVD from HMV for the first few months. Of course, there are other ways to see it too

Heh heh!! Just watched a clip of it on Youtube, dude that shit looks good!! Very anime in tone, which brings a lot of detail and depth to it. Also, they havent gone soft on the quite brutal scenes, like Gordon getting pummeled to bits by Flass and his cronies.

I cannot wait to watch it whole!!!

Post #: 84
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/10/2011 7:22:22 PM   
juanvasquez

I bought it last week. I think it's brilliant. My favourite animated Bat-film.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 85
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 30/10/2011 8:40:12 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I bought it last week. I think it's brilliant. My favourite animated Bat-film.

WOW!! I envy you!! Where did you buy it from and for how much? Cheers

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 86
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 31/10/2011 9:02:43 AM   
juanvasquez

It was from HMV. Was 5 when bought with Arkham City. 12.99 on its own I think. Will probably drop in price in the next couple of weeks. It's a bit short to pay full price I reckon.

Post #: 87
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 31/10/2011 8:12:56 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I think i'll wait for the price to go down a little, esp when your paying over a tenner for something under an hour!

Thanks for the info mate!

Post #: 88
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 29/12/2011 7:30:52 PM   
juanvasquez

What do you guys make of this? http://www.graphicnovelcollection.co.uk/index.html

Post #: 89
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 29/12/2011 7:40:29 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Issue 1 comes at the special price of 2.99 (5.50).
Issue 2 comes at the special price of 6.99 (11.99).
Issue 3 onwards is priced at 9.99 (15.99).

I'd say euro customers are getting royally screwed.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI