Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Recommend me my next graphic novel!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Recommend me my next graphic novel! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 5:07:33 PM   
Goodfella

Watchmen is the first graphic novel I have ever read and it blew me away! I had never even touched a comic prior to that one and have extremely little knowledge of them. I'm not even sure where I could find them, Waterstones has been reccomended to me?

But I want to read some more and see if my passion continues. The only one I've been told about so far is The Killing Joke which am I right in saying is what Heath Ledger took as inspiration for his performance as The Joker in 'The Dark Knight.'

So make me a comic book fan, what should I get next?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 5:15:37 PM   
Olaf

Sandman or 100 Bullets.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 5:26:39 PM   
Deviation

Muas, fantastic graphic novel. Aviod 300 though, it is shit of the highest order.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 5:29:06 PM   
Olaf

Frank Miller's pretty overrated in general tbh, outside of a few books (Sin City, Daredevil, DKR).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 6:21:02 PM   
Rhubarb

I remember reading Frank Miller's Daredevil run when I was much younger and I really liked it, outside of his Batman work I'm not that familiar with him to be honest though, as I haven't picked up a Graphic Novel in years, and was only vaugely aware of Watchmen untill the film was announced. I probably should use this thread to pick a few though, stop it being a relic of my childhood.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 6:22:44 PM   
sanchia

Top 10 by Alan Moore. Nothing heavy duty but it certainly is fun. Hill Street Blues in a city of superheroes.

I also would say Frank Miller is overrated and hasn't really done anything of not in years with only a few things which have actually stood out ( such as Daredevil the Man without Fear which I consider the definitive Daredevil origin).

< Message edited by sanchia -- 26/2/2009 6:26:54 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 7:12:49 PM   
matthewforan

Preacher is one of the best series i've read, Walking Dead also. If you want something smaller Scott Pilgrim is a great choice. There is a book i've just been introduced to Runaways, it's one of Joss Weadon's favourites.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 26/2/2009 9:02:30 PM   
BigBadWolf

Sandman for the most part is excellent, starts out a bit patchy but soon settles down as the writer developes within the medium.  Actually, it's been a while since I visited Sandman so must have a refresher.

Of course if you enjoyed your taste of Alan Moore with Watchmen then From Hell is another fantastic read, and probably better than Watchmen.  The film was utter bobbins so don't let that put you off if you have seen it.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 8
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 27/2/2009 3:51:59 AM   
furrybastard

From Hell. A must-have. Moore's best work, in my opinion.

If you're willing to to delve a little further into the superhero genre, I'd recommend picking up the DC Universe Stories of Alan Moore which is a great cross-section of stories he wrote, including one of the definitive Superman stories 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' and also The Killing Joke.

The Dark Knight Returns is fantastic, second only to Watchmen in reputation. With Batman:Year One being third! I'm also a big fan of Morrisson's New X-Men, full of mad ideas and some brilliant art by Frank Quitely.  Actually, check out We3 while you're at it!

For non-superhero fare I'd check out stuff like Maus, Persepolis, Palestine, Ernest and Ethel.

100 Bullets and Sandman are indeed very, very good. As is Preacher. And Ennis' run on Hellblazer is worth checking out.

Criminal, Hellboy, Incognito, The Twelve, Brubaker's Captain America and Ennis' run on The Punisher are all current, modern standouts.

Have a look around anyway, there's something for everyone!

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 9
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 27/2/2009 5:55:56 AM   
ilovebeerme

I'd go for Transmetropolitan, it's superb.

Been enjoying DMZ lately too.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 10
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 27/2/2009 12:43:13 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovebeerme

I'd go for Transmetropolitan, it's superb.

Damn, beat me to it!  Transmet is brilliant and highly recommended - it's easily my favourite title of the last 15 years. In fact, you can't really go wrong with most Vertigo titles, so I'll add the following:

Hellblazer - now up to over 250 issues, there's a wealth of collected TPBs to keep you going.  See Constantine as he was meant to be, not as Hollywood imagined him.

Books of Magic - or as I like to refer to it, Harry Potter and the Blatant Plagirism.  Really, once you read Gaiman's tales of young mage Tim Hunter, you'll wonder how JK Rowling had the nerve to claim Potter was her idea!

Lucifer - it'll help if you read Sandman first (or at least the Seasons of Mist collection), but if you like your mythology written large, this is the book for you.  And yes, it is that Lucifer.

The Invisibles - Grant Morrison's take on reality (or reality of you've dropped a bucketload of acid at least!).  It is a bit hard to grasp at times, but ultimately very rewarding.

Y -The Last Man - get it now before it becomes the inevitable big budget movie.  A brilliant tale of the last surviving male after a mysterious event kills every other Y-chromosome possessor on the planet.  Best long-running series of the last few years.

Fables - What happens to the fairy tales when their land is invaded by a ruthless despot?  They set up home in New York, that's what.  Good writing and excellent artwork in this and its spin-off "Jack of Fables".

If Watchmen has whet your appetite for superteams, then try The Authority (JLA for grown-ups) or some of the JSA collections (although these may need some understanding of golden/silver age DC characters to really appreciate them - nothing Wiki can't hepl you with though!).

Finally, two that have really impacted with me - Pride of Baghdad and We3.  Both tell the story of animals, and both are written with a compassion and beauty that is hard to beat.  Pride...is Brian K Vaughn's take on the true story that the bombing of Baghdad resulted in the zoo scoring a direct hit and a pride of lions escaping to roam the streets.  Told from the perspective of the animals, it is ultimately a very moving and satisfying tale.  We3 is Grant Morrison's manga-esque tale about an experimental military unit that consists of a dog, a cat and a rabbit, all hard-wired into mechanical exo-skeletons and trained to kill, who escape and rebel against their training.  Great stuff.

edited for bloody awful grammar

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 27/2/2009 1:50:28 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 11
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 27/2/2009 1:10:23 PM   
DJ Satan

All great recommendations

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Finally, two that have really impacted with me - Pride of Baghdad and We3.  Both tell the story of animals, and both are written with a compassion and beauty that is hard to beat.    We3 is Grant Morrison's manga-esque tale about an experimental military unit that consists of a dog, a cat and a rabbit, all hard-wired into mechanical ex-skeletons and trained to kill, but escape and rebel against their training.  Great stuff.

I've had We3 sitting on my shelf for a while but still haven't gotten around to reading it. I almost picked it up last night when I was looking for a new comic to read but I ended up grabbing Scott Mcleods "Understanding Comics" again to reread.

I'll try it this weekend.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 27/2/2009 1:52:01 PM   
Fanboyslayer

Definite vote for Hellblazer here. One of my favourites by far. Currently working my way through Sandman now as well which is also excellent so I can certainly back up others recomendations.  Moores run on Swamp Thing is a big fav of mine as well.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 13
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 13/3/2009 10:18:27 PM   
thebiggerboat

Marvel Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
www.kristhescript.co.uk

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KrisTheScript

Please sponsor my latest walk for Leukaemia Research in 2010
http://original.justgiving.com/krisgriffin

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 14
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 13/3/2009 10:26:07 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Moores run on Swamp Thing is a big fav of mine as well.

Hi-fives Fanboyslayer. Would do chest bump too, but you are a lady.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to thebiggerboat)
Post #: 15
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 16/3/2009 12:50:53 PM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Terrific

quote:

Moores run on Swamp Thing is a big fav of mine as well.

Hi-fives Fanboyslayer. Would do chest bump too, but you are a lady.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 16
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 17/3/2009 3:41:06 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Books of Magic - or as I like to refer to it, Harry Potter and the Blatant Plagirism.  Really, once you read Gaiman's tales of young mage Tim Hunter, you'll wonder how JK Rowling had the nerve to claim Potter was her idea!

Because, as Neil Gaiman himself has put it, they both ripped off T.H. White anyway!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 17/3/2009 10:50:57 AM   
DJ Satan

I saw this twitter from Scott Kurtz this morning and thought it was very true.

"I see all these ads for "what to read after Watchmen." answer: Watchman again a couple more times to catch everything in there."

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 18
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 19/3/2009 2:16:07 PM   
iwantamonkeybutler

Preacher.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 19
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 19/3/2009 2:25:53 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Because, as Neil Gaiman himself has put it, they both ripped off T.H. White anyway!

Yeah, he also namechecked GK Chesterton as an influence, but I got the impression he was just being magnanimous about it all

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 20
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/6/2009 1:00:56 PM   
Mr Dead

Check out the walking dead series, very very dark zombie comic however it mainly concerns how people react and cope in an end of the worl scenario. Not for the squeamish though as some of the stuff in there is pretty graphic (rape, beheadings, mutilations etc....). however i would regard it as one of the best graphic novels I've read.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn
I don't know whether I should be in love with you Dead or afraid of you!

my sig is not quite as witty or clever as Circe's

A thinker and a fighter since day 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 21
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 28/6/2009 11:48:37 AM   
Nimrods Son

All the basics (Walking Dead, Preacher,Pride Of Bagdad) have been suggested so I'll pick something a bit leftfield that for the past 2 years I've read comics has managed to get very little aclaim compared to the writer's previous works. (I was talking about it on another forum so I'll just copy 'n' paste!)

Pride And Joy by Garth Ennis! I picked this up with no idea what this was but seeing Ennis' name gave me confidence. This was a fantastic 4 issue mini-series that deconstructed the tough persona's used by such people as John Wayne and also asked where the views of these people (particularly the view that men hold the power in any relationship) belonged in the modern world. It shares quite a lot of its themes with preacher but here Ennis REALLY delves into these themes. There's also Ennis' pitch black humour and in his main villian Stein manages to incomporate something sinister and vaguely supernatural into the story. He even manages to fit some war stories in. John Higgins art is good, in some places great.

This is a book I never hear talked about which is a shame. Don't get me wrong, it's not my FAVOURITE Ennis work but for such quality it deserves to be recognised. You could probably pick it up cheap too. I got my copy for a fiver!

It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.
-Jacob (Lost)

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 22
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 19/7/2009 7:49:14 PM   
CAD36

I like Clive Barker (in addition to usual suspects like Alan Moore, Gaiman etc). Weaveworld is pretty good, as is Tapping the Vein and Yattering and Jack. Depends what floats your boat of course. 

(in reply to Nimrods Son)
Post #: 23
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 19/7/2009 8:42:56 PM   
Willie Mayes Hayes

The Ballad of Halo Jones

"Come on ladies, come on gentlemen, come on you trannies"

(in reply to CAD36)
Post #: 24
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 6/8/2009 8:27:56 PM   
leecoop

All of the above I've read have been good, a couple I haven't read so I'll check them too.

Preacher is my all time fave though (closely followed by the Invisibles), although the writer of Preacher has a couple of other goodies up his sleeve, Wormwood and The Boys(featuring a character based, looks wise on simon pegg) are both very, very good. Garth Ennis is a brilliantly creative and often hilarious writer and in my opinion, probably the best working in the medium at this time.

Also, my brother bought one by the singer from my chemical romance(name escapes me) called the Umbrella Academy (I think!), dont be put off by the fact he writes it, it's quite offbeat and oddball but very entertaining and well presented and definately worth a look.

(in reply to Willie Mayes Hayes)
Post #: 25
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 8/8/2009 7:51:44 PM   
furrybastard

Umbrella Academy is good fun alright.

I've just read both volumes of Top 10 which was really great, well worth checking out. Alan Moore just enjoying himself and telling a fun, inventive story.

(in reply to leecoop)
Post #: 26
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 18/8/2009 9:59:36 PM   
darko18

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Dead

Check out the walking dead series, very very dark zombie comic however it mainly concerns how people react and cope in an end of the worl scenario. Not for the squeamish though as some of the stuff in there is pretty graphic (rape, beheadings, mutilations etc....). however i would regard it as one of the best graphic novels I've read.

That's just sold the Walking Dead for me. I was hoping it'd be more about survival and coping with a zombie apocalypse rather than just a zombie apocalypse, I guess.

I've read Watchmen (very good) and Preacher now, which is just untouchable. Hilarious, moving, memorable. Just brilliant.

(in reply to Mr Dead)
Post #: 27
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 21/8/2009 7:22:16 AM   
Snake-Eyes

ALEX ROSS' MARVELS and KINGDOM COME - Beautiful, Classic.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 21/8/2009 7:23:01 AM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 28
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 21/8/2009 2:47:12 PM   
sanchia

Both great graphic novels from when Ross was truly producing great artwork rather than the very static and cold stuff he produces now. It does help if you have a decent grounding in Marvel and DC history to get the most out of both of these though.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 29
RE: Recommend me my next graphic novel! - 23/8/2009 1:02:26 PM   
thebiggerboat

I'd agree that Marvels is superb. I'll also add John Byrne Next Men to the list.

Kris

-
www.kristhescript.co.uk

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KrisTheScript

Please sponsor my latest walk for Leukaemia Research in 2010
http://original.justgiving.com/krisgriffin

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> Recommend me my next graphic novel! Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI