Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

First Ever Action Film..........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> First Ever Action Film.......... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Ever Action Film.......... - 26/2/2009 12:08:44 PM   
maroony

to have a female heroin?!

im doing research into females in action films but i have no idea what film was the VERY FIRST to have a female lead.

can anybody help?
Post #: 1
RE: First Ever Action Film.......... - 26/2/2009 12:14:55 PM   
grucl

Jeanne d'Arc (1899) by Georges Méliès perhaps?

I don't know if it counts as "action" though...

(in reply to maroony)
Post #: 2
RE: First Ever Action Film.......... - 26/2/2009 12:27:29 PM   
maroony

thanks. i have searched on the internet but it just keeps on coming up with Sigourney Weaver in Aliens as the first action heroin. the problem with this is that it is a sci-fi film lol

any other suggestions anybody?

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 3
RE: First Ever Action Film.......... - 26/2/2009 12:30:57 PM   
tftrman

Aliens is an action film as well as sci fi. And it's only a little thing but heroine has an "e" on the end, unless you want to know more about the drug of course!

(in reply to maroony)
Post #: 4
RE: First Ever Action Film.......... - 26/2/2009 12:34:50 PM   
maroony

lol naa i dont want any info on drugs

thanks for the info

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 5
RE: First Ever Action Film.......... - 26/2/2009 2:48:02 PM   
igotnewlegs

If you're just doing heroines from action films you need to consider the genre itself. This is a fairly good description so may help in your research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_film

As a genre the 'action movie' has only been around since the 70s but really took off in the eighties so it may well be that Sigourney Weaver was the first lead in an action movie. I'm struggling to think of any action films prior to Aliens that had a prominent female character as support (outside the usuall moll, or love interest) never mind the lead!

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to maroony)
Post #: 6
RE: First Ever Action Film.......... - 26/2/2009 9:01:32 PM   
elab49

If you stick to that definition, though, you'll end up with someone like Cynthia Rothrock

I guess the first advice is to decide a definition you are happy with - personally I think if you are calling Aliens an action film - which I agree you are acknowledging that many other genres can be considered action crossovers - SF/actioner like Aliens eg. You could even consider the original Alien. Limiting yourself to a specific action film definition like Wikis there - and following the link - also distressingly takes you to their earliest with female protagonists - Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! If nothing else, it'd be an interesting read for your teacher

More interestingly, why not go with Come Drink With Me?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 7
RE: First Ever Action Film.......... - 27/2/2009 12:34:33 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
More interestingly, why not go with Come Drink With Me?

There were quite a few "Nu xia" (swordswomen) heroines in early wuxia films.
I don't know if you're able to talk about a character rather than an actress? If so, you could do worse than Hua Mulan - there should be lots of info on her.

There was the film "Mulan Joins the Army" starring Chen Yunchang released in 1939, some 27 years earlier than Golden Swallow in Come Drink Withe Me (1966).
Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z82-CZtzqRM

There were earlier films about Mulan starting with a 1927 silent film (also called "Mulan Joins the Army"). See this wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hua_Mulan#Films

Or if it must be an actress, perhaps Chin Tsi-Ang (Sammo Hung's grandmother!) might fit the bill - she made her debut starring in "The Lady Swordfighter of Jiang-Nan" in 1925. She also starred in films such as "White Swallow Swordswoman" (1928) and "The Flying Swallow" (1930).

Or there's Hu Die, who starred in the "Burning The Red Lotus Temple" films (1928 - 1931) and also starred in the first Chinese talkie - Singing Girl Red Peony (1931).
Check http://www.chinesemirror.com/index/2007/02/empress_butterf.html

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 27/2/2009 12:35:09 PM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> First Ever Action Film.......... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI