Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A point about Film Reviews online...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> A point about Film Reviews online... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 12:39:52 PM   
Private Hudson

Why is it there are people out there who under the Film Review threads give us their own amatuer film review?

I think I speak for many when I say I pay my 3.90 for Empire or whatever it is nowdays (I'm a direct debit man you see) to read the reviews of professional reviewers.

I don't want to re-read the same fecking storyline over and over when in the thread I want to get to the meat of people agreeing or disagreeing.

It is my little pet hate though even worse is after a long winded amateur review of about 2,000 words someone then encourages the dumb SOB by saying: "Wow man that was totally awesome!" or "I totally dig your review!"

Oh come on! Life is too short.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0
Post #: 1
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 1:19:25 PM   
Felix

I'd rather read 10,000 of them than another one of your posts tbf.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 2
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 1:26:12 PM   
tftrman

That's why we have scrolling - don't like a post, go past it. And just because someone doesn't work for a magazine, it doesn't mean they are incapable of writing a good review of a film.

Post #: 3
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 1:31:51 PM   
clownfoot

Hmm. I suddenly feel an urge to go to my desktop, locate the Word document holding my Evil Dead 2 review and post it. Again. Right here, in this thread.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 4
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 1:39:46 PM   
Neth

A Review of Private Hudson's Post
by Neth (amateur film reviewer)

To say that Private Hudson's post is, in the very least, antagonistic is perhaps somewhat of an understatement. Right from the get-go, his motivation for the post is spelt out clearly - he doesn't like those amateur reviews, and he's here to tell us why.

Unfortunately, the remainder of his post fails to live up to the early promise exhibited by the first sentence or so. His use of paragraph spacing seems almost like an aesthetic front to mask the lack of content within, and occasionally his grammar lapses into the absurd.

The climax proves to be laced with irony, as the closing send-off reveals that while "life is too short", it's probably not short enough to dodge complaining about things on the internet. This kind of existential dilemma raises the profile of Hudson's post, although there remains little to recommend to those other than the pre-teen crowd.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 5
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 1:43:23 PM   
Felix

2 stars?!

Is he sub-editing your next post or something Neth?"

You sell out.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 6
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 1:45:43 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Welcome back, Hudson, I missed you. That "Life's too short" comment is incredibly ironic, by the way.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 7
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 1:50:51 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Hmm. I suddenly feel an urge to go to my desktop, locate the Word document holding my Evil Dead 2 review and post it. Again. Right here, in this thread.

By the way; Totally awesome review, man. I totally dig your review!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 8
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 3:01:34 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

By the way; Totally awesome review, man. I totally dig your review!

nah mate was shit! LOL

shut up hudson?

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 9
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 6:01:36 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

To say that Private Hudson's post is, in the very least, antagonistic is perhaps somewhat of an understatement. Right from the get-go, his motivation for the post is spelt out clearly - he doesn't like those amateur reviews, and he's here to tell us why.

Unfortunately, the remainder of his post fails to live up to the early promise exhibited by the first sentence or so. His use of paragraph spacing seems almost like an aesthetic front to mask the lack of content within, and occasionally his grammar lapses into the absurd.

The climax proves to be laced with irony, as the closing send-off reveals that while "life is too short", it's probably not short enough to dodge complaining about things on the internet. This kind of existential dilemma raises the profile of Hudson's post, although there remains little to recommend to those other than the pre-teen crowd.

Only two stars? Liam Neeson was great in it!

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 10
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 6:17:16 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

Why is it there are people out there who under the Film Review threads give us their own amatuer film review?

Er...don't go in there?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 11
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 7:12:41 PM   
Private Hudson

But surely the point of the Film Review forum is to get US to discuss the movie and what we like/dislike about it?

It doesn't really want us to give our own crappy reviews.

But again that is the problem these days when everything gets put into nice neat boxes and you can't dare talk about something that may actually end up in another thread or indeed forum.

All I want is a thread were we can talk about a movie. I don't care what forum it is in as long as it allows people to hold different opinions.

But if people want to post their own amateur reviews then for the love of God (think Captain Kirk there) consign it into its own little forum where they can all die a death or indeed be fawned upon by people who have net access but not yet their own pubic hair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 12
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 24/2/2009 7:22:49 PM   
richCie

quote:

But surely the point of the Film Review forum is to get US to discuss the movie and what we like/dislike about it?

But again that is the problem these days when everything gets put into nice neat boxes and you can't dare talk about something that may actually end up in another thread or indeed forum.

All I want is a thread were we can talk about a movie. I don't care what forum it is in as long as it allows people to hold different opinions.

But if people want to post their own amateur reviews then for the love of God (think Captain Kirk there) consign it into its own little forum where they can all die a death or indeed be fawned upon by people who have net access but not yet their own pubic hair.

ahh now ur raising a decent point, it is unofrtunate that often any discussions about films are moved into the review thread, which funnily enuf are full of reviews (there's a clue in teh title). it would be better to have 2 threads that i can agree with. but the review threads are still for reviews

Post #: 13
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 12:55:02 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

Being slightly disingenuous here, aren't you? There's some pretty well written reviews in there. If it perturbs you that much, just don't read them, rather coming on here acting like a little brat. The Moderators don't seem to have a problem with people posting their reviews in these threads, why should you?

Post #: 14
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 5:02:27 PM   
steffols

quote:

Isnt that what erm...Film Reviews is for?

I agree to an extent that some of the reviews people post can come across as a bit long with a lot of words, but essentially no substance.  I hate reviews which just seem to reel the plt of the story back at you, but if a review seems to be going that way, I will stop reading.  Im not going to get angry over it.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 15
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 6:23:21 PM   
swordsandsandals

Wait, so we are allowed to talk about films, why we like them, why we don't etc. But we're not allowed to write reviews of them? Oh ok. Makes sense. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 16
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 8:32:00 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Beg to differ.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

Post #: 17
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 8:42:39 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Ahh, but it didn't have enough Cillian Murphy.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 18
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 9:02:04 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

quote:

It was a good, solid thriller IMO.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 19
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 9:20:58 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

quote:

It was a good, solid thriller IMO.

It would have been better if Danny Boyle directed it though

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 20
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 25/2/2009 9:53:45 PM   
Private Hudson

I think you guys are missing the point.

In Film Reviews it normally begins with an Empire Administrator posting a link to the official review. Why did they do this? Because you'd end up with 20 Blair Witch threads on the same forum.

So don't go all literal on the Film Review bit, because the review is actually Empires. The review is the catalyst for debate.

In case you don't know, anytime you bring up a new thread on a film anywhere else it gets moved or deleted or redirected to... Film Review!!!

I can see their point as they want to keep things a bit orderly.

Why not create an Amateur Film Review thread to keep all the aspiring Barry Normans happy?

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 21
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 26/2/2009 4:07:30 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

In Film Reviews it normally begins with an Empire Administrator posting a link to the official review. Why did they do this? Because you'd end up with 20 Blair Witch threads on the same forum.

So don't go all literal on the Film Review bit, because the review is actually Empires. The review is the catalyst for debate.

In case you don't know, anytime you bring up a new thread on a film anywhere else it gets moved or deleted or redirected to... Film Review!!!

Why not create an Amateur Film Review thread to keep all the aspiring Barry Normans happy?

Already done, genius.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 22
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 26/2/2009 7:18:01 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

No we're not missing the point at all. You just aren't making it very well.  I think what you're trying to say is that there should be a separate thread for discussion/debate. So why not just create a thread scalled "Can we have a separate discussion thread "or something along those lines

All you're doing now is coming at it  ass-backwards and making yourself look stupid by complaining about people using a thread for its clearly stated purpose instead of what you think it should be for.

Post #: 23
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 26/2/2009 7:56:23 AM   
Felix

I think you should stick to a subject you know well Hudson, like football...

How is your prediction of Utd's Red Empire crumbling coming along?

Whats that? They're Champions of England, Europe and the World?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 24
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 26/2/2009 12:39:19 PM   
jonson

To be fair I see Hudson's point and fair play to him for not reacting to the baiting most of you are dishing out.
I'd agree that I rarely read anyone's else's reviews, especially the really long ones that strike me as more "hey, look at me, I've got a GCSE in English" than anything remotely interesting.
That said, I can quite easily skip past these and read the ones that matter.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 25
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 27/2/2009 1:33:38 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

To be fair I see Hudson's point and fair play to him for not reacting to the baiting most of you are dishing out.

But he does make it so easy for us by being a blow-hard idiot.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 26
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 27/2/2009 9:18:51 AM   
richCie

he does have a point, reviews and discussion should be kept seperate, but yeh he made his point like a twat to begin with.

Post #: 27
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 27/2/2009 2:41:52 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

he does have a point, reviews and discussion should be kept seperate, but yeh he made his point like a twat to begin with.

But it does clearly say in the forum description "Reader Reviews welcome here", or something to that effect. So he didn't have a point.

Waits for Prvt. Hudson to say sorry

< Message edited by Stewie_Griffin -- 27/2/2009 3:29:04 PM >

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 28
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 27/2/2009 4:40:57 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

But it does clearly say in the forum description "Reader Reviews welcome here", or something to that effect. So he didn't have a point.

Waits for Prvt. Hudson to say sorry

you misunderstand me, i think that we should be allowed seperate threads for discussing a film as well as reviewing them, rather than everyone being put into one thread, it hampers discussion especially on a popular thread as the posts get lost amongst the reviews. i think movie musings should be allowed to have threads on single films without being locked. he doesnt have a point when he wants rid of reader reviews cos thats what the threads are clearly for.

Post #: 29
RE: A point about Film Reviews online... - 27/2/2009 8:02:43 PM   
themightyhutch

I see where Hudson is coming from here, most of the reviews in there are utter bullshit, and a lot do comment on what the review is about but then again that is going to happen.

If you want an oppertunity to review things or read some reviews not made by Noobs that joined just to post that one time, then I highly recomend you go to the Mini-Reviews thread in Fun and Games (if you dare).

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> A point about Film Reviews online... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI