Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 29/4/2009 10:16:19 PM   
Spiked

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: iheartsomewhere

i really dont understand why so many people hate death proof. sure its not the grindhouse-style movie everyone was expecting, but you have to open your mind.
the film was fantastic. The dialogue, is brilliant and although it does not have the iconic pop culture references as much,
it still provides a very interesting story and interesting characters. watch it again, without the idea of 'grindhouse' in your mind.
and just because QT is known for his violent films, why does this mean that he cant take another turn because each film he makes has somthing
new.

EH? The dialogue is awful!! 3 women talk rubbish for 50 mins then 10 minute car chase. Then QT repeats this!! Just awful awful filmmaking! There was nothing new about this or interesting! Even worse than Kill Bill!

This

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 121
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 30/4/2009 7:03:50 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Workshed

QT owes the UK a good release of Grindhouse.

I agree, although I'm not that bothered as I was lucky enough to watch GRINDHOUSE, on the big screen when it was released in New York - awesome. I do reckon we need a good 'complete' dvd release of this and KILL BILL (which has been promised for quite some time now)  Last year, when I was in Japan, I picked this up -

Six-Disc Edition.... to be honest I haven't even opened it, I don't know whether or not it has all of the 'fake trailers' or anything, only got it so I can sell it for a ridiculously high-price on ebay!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 122
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 30/4/2009 8:01:04 PM   
dhowdy

i saw reservoir dogs 10 times at cinema. i was 21 and was totaly blown away by it. same with pulp fiction. i liked the leanness of reservoir dogs. very intelligent movie making. most of the action happens in your mind.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 123
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 1/5/2009 4:34:37 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

I agree, although I'm not that bothered as I was lucky enough to watch GRINDHOUSE, on the big screen when it was released in New York - awesome. I do reckon we need a good 'complete' dvd release of this and KILL BILL (which has been promised for quite some time now)  Last year, when I was in Japan, I picked this up -

Six-Disc Edition.... to be honest I haven't even opened it, I don't know whether or not it has all of the 'fake trailers' or anything, only got it so I can sell it for a ridiculously high-price on ebay!

It has the extended versions of both Planet Terror and Death Proof, each on their own, plus the full Grindhouse which is with cut Planet Terror and Death Proof + fake trailers, and such. Three films: Planet Terror, Death Proof and Grindhouse, and a special features disc for each one. The Grindhouse DVD + its special features are Japan only.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 124
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 1/5/2009 7:07:05 AM   
Lex Romero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spiked

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: iheartsomewhere

i really dont understand why so many people hate death proof. sure its not the grindhouse-style movie everyone was expecting, but you have to open your mind.
the film was fantastic. The dialogue, is brilliant and although it does not have the iconic pop culture references as much,
it still provides a very interesting story and interesting characters. watch it again, without the idea of 'grindhouse' in your mind.
and just because QT is known for his violent films, why does this mean that he cant take another turn because each film he makes has somthing
new.

EH? The dialogue is awful!! 3 women talk rubbish for 50 mins then 10 minute car chase. Then QT repeats this!! Just awful awful filmmaking! There was nothing new about this or interesting! Even worse than Kill Bill!

This

Agreed.  It was just painfully boring, very unlikeable characters.  I was hoping stuntman mike would succeed in killing them tbh.

Also I'm not sure how you can defend the film with "oh you shouldn't think of it as a grindhouse film!".  Tarintino wanted to make a grindhouse film, he told everyone how much he loved grindhouse films, he told all the media that he was making a grindhouse film, he called the bloody film "Grindhouse". 

To then have a film that, rather than having a B movie film, just goes off on some self indulgent tangent for hours, perhaps thinking it's something more than what it sold itself as, is just ridiculous.

My Film list for 2009:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=39

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 125
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 2/5/2009 12:42:24 AM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

quote:

WOW! That looks pretty damn awesome.

Planet Terror is all kinds of great, Death Proof is a piece of shit but i'm real tempted to open the wallet for that little baby.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 126
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 3/5/2009 3:44:39 PM   
MI Cruise

People are trashing Death Proof a little too much, but it was an entertaining movie, sure it didnt have most of the techniques previously seen in other Tarantino movies such as events not taking place in chronological order and the plot may not have been as detailed as Planet Terror's, but it doesnt deserve to be considered as shit, I thought it was decent movie when I watched it.
Kill Bill is another movie which people dont like, Vol. 2 I have to agree got a bit boring and would have been much better if vol. 1&2 were joined together, but vol. 1 was amazing Tarantino's tribute to the East. I used to love martial arts movie as a kid and I used to love action movies as a kid thats why Tarantino is perhaps my favourite director, he makes movies that I would love to see.
Inglorious Basterds is something new and people are poised ready to give a shitty verdict and others already have just from judging the trailers, but come August there will Tarantino fans sitting in the cinema waiting to either be blown away or have a good time.
Tarantino cant come up with another Pulp Fiction its impossible, he's making movies that he himself would want to see and apparently he wants to cover different genres, sometimes its a mix of two different genres.
Im already excited about what genre he's going to cover next in say.. 2012

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 127
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 4/5/2009 7:07:38 PM   
MartyW

Anyone excited by the trailer for Inglorious Basterds??

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 128
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 9/9/2009 5:06:59 AM   
prontron07

movie looks awesome i havent made it to see it yet but i will 

You see, in this world, there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

(in reply to MartyW)
Post #: 129
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 13/9/2009 8:12:41 PM   
boristhespie

I loved Death Proof. Yeah not much to the story but I liked the wordiness of it and the strong girls.

Tarantinos best film however remains Jackie Brown.

I just wish he would no try and stretch beyond the "homage" mode he seems stuck in and try and come up with something new. Don't get me wrong I like most of his films (not a Kill Bill fanatic) but I don't know I just want something more. Something to surprise me the way Jackie Brown did.

UPDATE: Boy is Inglorious Basterds Shit. Same old stuff. I was looking for Navarone, Telemark, The Schosch Atler.

< Message edited by boristhespie -- 23/10/2009 4:55:57 PM >

Badges, We don' need no stinking badgees.

(in reply to prontron07)
Post #: 130
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 6/2/2010 11:35:44 PM   
white mage

I love Kill Bill volume 1. I thought volume 2 had too much talking in it. I really want to see Death Proof but have'nt yet.

< Message edited by white mage -- 6/2/2010 11:36:25 PM >

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to boristhespie)
Post #: 131
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 3/3/2010 3:30:48 PM   
Workshed

quote:

ORIGINAL: white mage

I love Kill Bill volume 1. I thought volume 2 had too much talking in it.

I used to think the same thing but I realised that watching it as two separate films doesn't do it any justice. You really have to watch it as one back to back film. Unbroken it's a terrific epic.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to white mage)
Post #: 132
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 9/3/2010 4:30:22 AM   
sidewinder57

Workshed is right. 'Kill Bill' uncut, as one complete epic is his best film and in my opinion the best film of the decade.  You have to remove the cliffhanger at the end of Vol. 1 and remove the intro to vol. 2 then you'll see it as intended.

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 133
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 19/8/2010 2:10:49 PM   
MarcE

I've read that Tarrantino plans to one day release a full volume of Kill Bill and I'll definately be buying it if he does.

I have Death Proof and Planet Terror. After I got over the annoying worn look of the films (I'm sorry but it just irritated me!) I found Death Proof boring and I felt the scene with the girls in the diner was trying to replicate the same scene in Reservoir Dogs but with the dialogue of Pulp Fiction. The ending seemed a little rushed too and a bit of an anti climax. Planet Terror on the other hand, I thouroughly enjoyed. The filming style seemed to work a lot better on this one and the cheap feel of it made the film work for me. I wouldn't be disappointed to see another installment of this.

I recently saw Inglorious Basterds and I was plesently surprised. I'm a fan of war films (mainly Vietnam) and was a little concerned as to what Tarrantino was going to do with it. I thought the quality of the film was spot on and he had my attention throughout. I hadn't read much about it prior to watching it, other than it was a WW2 film and had good reviews. So when it came to the final cinema scene I was a little surprised!

(in reply to sidewinder57)
Post #: 134
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 17/10/2010 1:43:54 AM   
kargon

watch HELLRIDE it is bollocks, Tarantino put is name on that

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to MarcE)
Post #: 135
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 17/10/2010 1:45:25 AM   
kargon

But regarding Tarantno, check out Machette, Rodriguezzzes new one, it is the bollocks

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 136
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 28/10/2010 9:14:38 PM   
sandybanks123

You gotta love tarantino, he's my hero!

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 137
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 4/6/2011 9:24:32 PM   
amejohns68

He is brilliant, talented and extremely creative and excentric, would like to see more and more from him in the future 5 stars!

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 138
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 11/6/2011 7:35:58 PM   
nvh1982

quote:

ORIGINAL: amejohns68

He is brilliant, talented and extremely creative and excentric, would like to see more and more from him in the future 5 stars!

Django Unchained next year and Kill Bill 3 the year after :)

http://cinematicscreenings2012.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to amejohns68)
Post #: 139
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 29/6/2011 11:51:35 AM   
bauerboy

I am a massive Tarantino fan. gotta do a 3,000 word essay on him in the next week or so which I'm looking forward to. I've been making everyone i know watch his films 'for research' :)

"did I adequately answer your condescending question?"
"When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them, 'no, I went to films.'"
feel free to follow me on twitter @movie_mad

(in reply to nvh1982)
Post #: 140
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 14/10/2011 10:27:44 PM   
pussywagon_95

Quentin Tarantino is definitely one of the best directors.

Though it does annoy me about all the people that over hype him. All the hipsters that go on about Pulp fiction have ruined that film for me, they seem to flaunt it as their favorite movie and feel it is their obligation as a hipster to continue to promote a film that was made 17 years ago, so that they don't diminish their reputation.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 141
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 6/12/2011 2:49:38 PM   
messiahtime

Tarantino is awesome, Death Proof was one of the worst films that I have ever seen.

Massive fan of Tarantino, loved True Romance was great...

Zurple is the new black and has always been!!!

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.com

(in reply to pussywagon_95)
Post #: 142
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 15/1/2012 1:17:47 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

A very stylish Director who is steeped in nostalgic 1970's culture,as shown throughout (almost) all his films,epecially with his backdrop Music choices.
Though I think he has lost his way somewaht these past few years and I still regard Jackie Brown as his best piece of work.
As its more guided around inteligent plot rather than that of pure random violance.
Favs Tarantino Films.
1.Jackie Brown
2.Pulp Fiction
3.Resevoir Dogs

(in reply to messiahtime)
Post #: 143
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI