Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 7/8/2008 7:11:30 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

I've got all his directorial work on DVD. You know why?

You have a fetish for overated directors?

Reservoir Dogs ***
Liked it but overated.

Pulp Fiction ****1/2
Excellent, a lot of fun inventive.

Jackie Brown **
Bored me to tears

Kill Bill Volume 1 ****Fun bunch of nonsense

Kill Bill Volume 2 *1/2
Too far up it's own arse and way too LONNNNGGG

Death Proof ** (one hole star is for Kurt Russell)
Death Proof :Colon: Quentin finally disapears up own rectum.

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 7/8/2008 7:12:17 PM >

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 91
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 11/8/2008 2:30:44 PM   
Jackie Boy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

Jackie Brown **
Bored me to tears

It may have bored you to tears but it's still his best work by some margin. Everythng he's done apart from Jackie Brown has been a homage of sorts to some of the most woeful 70s B movies you could possibly imagine. And what's he doing next? Inglorious Bastards, go figure.

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 92
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 13/8/2008 6:06:11 AM   
Beatrice Kiddo

Kill Bill (Vol 1), Reservior Dogs and Pulp Fiction are without doubt, the best films QT has made in his career so far.....but what the hell was Death Proof!

I went to see that in the cinema expecting it to rock my socks off....but instead I found myself having to stop from falling asleep.
That was the biggest load of hyped up shite I have seen in a loooooong time

That man is so far up his own ass I don't think he'll ever see the light of day.....which is a shame coz he's obviously a very talented writer and director.

Lets hope his new project doesn't turn out to be as shockingly disappointing....

"They ain't tough enough, smart enough or fast enough. I can hit any bank I want, any time. They got to be at every bank, all the time."

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 93
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 16/8/2008 12:08:38 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Does anybody know when the Whole Bloody Affair and Grindhouse Boxset will be released in the UK? It's frustrating because Death Proof and Planet Terror are so cheap now but I wanna wait and get the mint box set with all the faux trailers. Are there any dates yet?

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Beatrice Kiddo)
Post #: 94
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 19/8/2008 1:08:51 AM   
rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beatrice Kiddo

Kill Bill (Vol 1), Reservior Dogs and Pulp Fiction are without doubt, the best films QT has made in his career so far.....

Those are like half the films QT ever made! But a pretty impressive trio all the same.

Have to agree about Death Proof - ballsathon. Too much self indulgent, aren't we soooooo cool dialogue and not enough, well, death.

Planet Terror was much better.

The fact that the Machete trailer was the best thing about Grindhouse is pretty telling.

< Message edited by rupert303 -- 19/8/2008 1:09:48 AM >

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Beatrice Kiddo)
Post #: 95
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 24/8/2008 9:09:04 PM   
yiarkungfu

Hes still got edge, his films are still cool, and I like everything he has done apart from when he decides to act. Res Dogs was a great film - a real gem, probably not one you can watch more than once and get the same impact you had first time round.
Pulp Fiction is his best in my opinion. When I saw it at the cinema i would have been around 18 and it just blew me away, this was a cool film in many ways, it really felt fresh and exciting to me.  Great cast, great script, loved the way the film was not chronological. I walked out of the cinema and i wanted to walk right back in and watch it again.

Its hard for a director who had such a profound influence on popular culture to follow up a movie like that, whatever he decided to make he was going to take some flak for. But lets be honest the guy follows his gut and makes movies he wants to make, in his own unique style. Sure some arent as good as others - but no director can make every film a masterpiece, they are always flawed in one way or another, and you cant please everyone. I still look forward to every film he makes because hes a gifted film-maker, and perhaps grindhouse didnt work out as well as it could have, but I actually enjoyed it for what it was. I wasnt expecting another Resevoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction.

You never really know how good a film will be untill you go watch it, so to write him off because he hasnt made something good since Pulp Fiction etc is a mistake, directors have to challenge themselves, and sometimes these films dont work as well as they wanted them to. Its far better a film-maker has the nerve to try something left of field and fail than to play it safe.  Im looking forward to Inglorious bastards anyway.

Its hard to think of a director that has never made an average or terrible movie come to think of it.

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 96
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 27/8/2008 9:10:57 PM   
leesith

QT is the most overrated director ever.his films have been absolute shite
except for the excellent from dusk til dawn and i'm not sure how much o that he had to do wi.but making films where ppl fucking swear for no fucking bastard reason is bullshit,see wot i mean.
jackie brown was crap
deathproof apparently crap
pulp fiction drivel
kill bill ok
kill bill 2 mmm
reservoir dogs just watch it again and be honest wi yourself its poop,very little happens
and nw were goin mad about his next film.
it'll be extreme violence wi really shit plot and actors talking bollocks,lol
tell me that aint so

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to yiarkungfu)
Post #: 97
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 28/8/2008 12:47:19 AM   
ondara73

all his films up until deathproof are fucking good movies.how can you say fiction,brown,dogs and kill bill are crap?
and i even liked deathproof(but i hoped he learned his lesson)
what are your favourite movies.just curious!!!!

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 98
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 28/8/2008 1:04:41 AM   
ondara73

god!!!just read this!!its fucking boring people like you getting too into the subject matter.its just films!you like something or you dont.dont write people off because you dont like them.you sound fucking arty.if you look in most reviews or film books most off his work gets 5 stars!nuff said.....anker!

(in reply to westsider)
Post #: 99
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 28/8/2008 7:24:07 PM   
leesith

christ almighty why don't ya calm down.lol
just cos someones gotta different opinion to ya ya freak out.take a pill.
i just don't like his films,my opinion,no one said it was yours.
i like all type o films and i think from dusk til dawn is excellent.
from bond to stardust,jfk to all the presidents men.star wars to the brilliant shawshank
don't stress ya self ond.lol

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to ondara73)
Post #: 100
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 28/8/2008 11:29:28 PM   
ondara73

if you dont like his films,why did u bother watching his films after the drivel(your words not mine) that was pulp fiction?and did u like stardust?!

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 101
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 29/8/2008 11:44:36 AM   
benny the jet

Personally i think he's lost his way a bit, but he must have done something right cos for the next ten years or so nearly every film maker was trying(and failing) to copy his style. A lot of people seem to forget what a breath of fresh air Dogs and Pulp were. Now we're so used to hearing/ seeing his influence in films/ TV it seems like a cliche. Rant over. Soz, arsey first post. good start

Res Dogs- Stunning. When it came out i'd never seen anything like it.

Pulp Fiction- I often think it's too smug/knowing/aware of how cool it is.....but then you watch it again and it blows yr mind

Jackie Brown- Love it- although couldn't really go wrong with such a good story.

Kill Bill 1&2- would have made one pretty good film

Deathproof- Not enough fun to be an authentic grindhouse movie

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to ondara73)
Post #: 102
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 29/8/2008 12:26:36 PM   
tftrman

Are leesith and ondara the split personalities of the same person? Their posts are uncannily similar (obviously the opinions differ!)

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 103
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 30/8/2008 8:28:17 AM   
leesith

well ondara i don't watch his films anymore.haven't bothered wi deathproof.
i thought stardust was ok.
and wot is tft on about.

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to ondara73)
Post #: 104
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 31/8/2008 12:00:50 AM   
ondara73

i like deathproof but u wont.he was trying  to be too clever and think his swelled head deflated a bit.he thought he could do no wrong and came back to earth with a bump.so i hope he has learned a lesson and makes I.B a good one.
PLEASE dont tell me u LOVE the phantom menace!!i think the tman thinks we r one?
last films seen
dark knight 5/5
oxford murders 0/5 (avoid!!)
spiderwick chronicles 4/5

< Message edited by ondara73 -- 31/8/2008 12:03:00 AM >

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 105
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 31/8/2008 4:53:25 PM   
leesith

if phantom menace was made by anyone else and not part of star wars i don't think it would have gotten the stick it did.to my recollection even this mag gave it 4/5.it is the weaker of them all but still enjoyable.
well t man we aint the same.
last films i went to see.
the dark night 5/5
mamma mia 1/5 girlfriends idea by the way
wall.e 4/5

shaken,not stirred

(in reply to ondara73)
Post #: 106
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 2/9/2008 11:47:23 PM   
ondara73

well at least we agree about the dark knight
you have my sympathies for seeing mama mia.im sure my day will come and i hear the dreaded words"lets rent that one" off the misssus.
i dont mind watching phantom,but deep down i hate it for being made!

< Message edited by ondara73 -- 2/9/2008 11:49:04 PM >

(in reply to leesith)
Post #: 107
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 4/9/2008 1:04:16 AM   
elzupasmonkey

The most Human thing Tarantino ever did was Jackie Brown and everything in that movie he owns to Elmore Leonard.

The only thing Tarantino did was take out the Nazi gun runner subplot, that;s all he did.

He's a joke.

http://tiny.cc/odytmw

(in reply to ondara73)
Post #: 108
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 5/9/2008 10:21:44 PM   
culliford

quote:

ORIGINAL: elzupasmonkey
The most Human thing Tarantino ever did was Jackie Brown and everything in that movie he owns to Elmore Leonard.
The only thing Tarantino did was take out the Nazi gun runner subplot, that;s all he did.

If you had read the book and know something about directing you would know that's not true. And Elmore said that Jackie is by far the best film adaption of his novels.

Though I can understand why some people wouldn't like the movie.

< Message edited by culliford -- 5/9/2008 10:23:21 PM >

Films Watched in 2012

(in reply to elzupasmonkey)
Post #: 109
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 6/9/2008 6:00:14 AM   
Sad Professor

Am I alone in thinking that there isn't really a decent Tarrantino dvd ?

R.Dogs and Pulp Fiction just have some bits and pieces on it - no solid documentary of the film as a whole from concept to finalisation.
Jackie Brown is a little better but not by much.
True Romance dvd is shockingly poor.
Kill Bill and Death Proof region2 releases are crap.

With regards the guy's movies, I love Dogs,Pulp and Jackie.

I wasn't impressed by Kill Bill but I went to see Grindhouse recently not having seen death proof in the cinema and I thought it was just pants. His first 3films while being rip offs or homages (whichever your fancy) still seemed to have some class and a bit of pizazz and some excitement and great dialogue. Kill Bill isn't terrible and I know that some people love it and I don't disagree that it isn't likeable but Death Proof really was piss poor I thought. The dialogue was lousy and boring, I felt that while watching it as if there was no direction at all. It could've been made by anyone and then have a car chase stunt tacked on at the end.  

(in reply to culliford)
Post #: 110
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 7/9/2008 9:00:42 AM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

With the exception of the Grindhouse boxset from Japan, I agree with you.

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 111
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 27/9/2008 12:00:07 PM   
iheartsomewhere

i really dont understand why so many people hate death proof. sure its not the grindhouse-style movie everyone was expecting, but you have to open your mind.
the film was fantastic. The dialogue, is brilliant and although it does not have the iconic pop culture references as much,
it still provides a very interesting story and interesting characters. watch it again, without the idea of 'grindhouse' in your mind.
and just because QT is known for his violent films, why does this mean that he cant take another turn because each film he makes has somthing
new.

< Message edited by iheartsomewhere -- 28/9/2008 2:23:15 AM >

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 112
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 8/10/2008 8:19:36 PM   
fairyprincess

if not for grindhouse i would neverhave been inspired to track down proper 70s sleaze.
for all the rubbish one out there the good one are worth there weght in gold.

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to iheartsomewhere)
Post #: 113
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 17/10/2008 2:52:29 PM   
FGT

Well....I watched Reservoir dogs.....dearie me....
Tried to watch Pulp Fiction but turned it off as it was looking as poor as Mortal Koimbat 2 whic is one of a very few films that I have turned off before the end
Saw a bit of Lady Snowbl...sorry..Kill Bill part 1.....sigh
His bit in Sin City was ok but then Benecio Del Toro was in the scene..hard to mess up with such an actor
It's just my personal opinion but he's dreadful..talentless and an egotisitical little tit. He doesn't sample or pay homage to..he copies better films.

< Message edited by FGT -- 17/10/2008 2:58:10 PM >

What would Dexter do?

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 114
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 21/10/2008 4:01:21 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: iheartsomewhere

i really dont understand why so many people hate death proof. sure its not the grindhouse-style movie everyone was expecting, but you have to open your mind.
the film was fantastic. The dialogue, is brilliant and although it does not have the iconic pop culture references as much,
it still provides a very interesting story and interesting characters. watch it again, without the idea of 'grindhouse' in your mind.
and just because QT is known for his violent films, why does this mean that he cant take another turn because each film he makes has somthing
new.

EH? The dialogue is awful!! 3 women talk rubbish for 50 mins then 10 minute car chase. Then QT repeats this!! Just awful awful filmmaking! There was nothing new about this or interesting! Even worse than Kill Bill!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to iheartsomewhere)
Post #: 115
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 26/2/2009 6:59:01 PM   
selnor

quote:

ORIGINAL: jpmwright

For me Tarantino hasn't made a bad movie, everyones always waiting for the next hit by him and at the same time waiting for him to slip up big time. I think True Romance shows a clever and talented, if a little naive screenwriter. Resevoir dogs places him in the director chair where he makes a highly original film which paths the way for his breakthrough masterpiece Pulp Fiction. The screenplay the directing and the use of the actors makes one of the greatest movies ever. Jackie Brown is my favourite however, it shows a maturing taratino telling a story using his now trade mark techniques, to focus on character development. For this is what Jackie Brown is about and Tarantino shows his understanding f it superbly. Then comes Kill Bill Vol1 and 2 this is all about him going to his routes. It isn't as sharpe and mature as Jackie Brown however he focuses on areas of cinema which, until him went long ignored by the general public. They tell a simple story in a great way and are bold and beautiful.

I like many others look forward to his next offering, whilst at the same time waiting for him to level out or fail to reach the grade he has already set himself.

I agree with this post entirely. Resevoir Dogs was an amazing film, and in many ways some of his best work. :)

http://www.digitalentertainmentuk.com

(in reply to jpmwright)
Post #: 116
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 13/3/2009 2:08:29 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

Reservoir Dogs -
Pulp Fiction -
Jackie Brown -
Kill Bill Volume 1 -
Kill Bill Volume 2 -
Death Proof -
Grindhouse -

(in reply to selnor)
Post #: 117
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 15/3/2009 9:42:51 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Huh? If you include Death proof, it doesn't make any sense to include Grindhouse, does it?

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 118
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 15/3/2009 2:34:11 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Huh? If you include Death proof, it doesn't make any sense to include Grindhouse, does it?

Meh, five stars all around.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 119
RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO - 31/3/2009 10:30:34 AM   
Workshed

QT owes the UK a good release of Grindhouse.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to Dan Jolin)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club >> RE: QUENTIN TARANTINO Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI