Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 10/2/2009 3:48:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

Just finished the final book of this great great space opera series and wondering where to go from here.

Nights Dawn is big sci fi - full of giant space battles that last less than a second, living spaceships and the dead taking over the bodies of people and gaining God like powers. Its like someone melded Iain M Banks with Stephen King together.

Its funny, I tried to read another Hamilton novel a few years back and simply could not get into it. Not the case here.

Anyone else fans of this series?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 1
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 10/2/2009 7:18:05 PM   
sanchia

It is strange in that i am the opposite I have had these books on my shelf for ages but couldn't get into the first one at all but at the same time found his Mindstar Rising/Greg Mandell books to be very readable and with an interesting near future setting.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 2
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 10/2/2009 8:18:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

It was a bit of an effort at first to see where the story was going, but pretty quickly the threads begin to form and the pay off is great. If you try again stick with it until the scene with the kid and the "thing" in the woods. You'll know what I'm talking about when you read it - things get crazy after that.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 3
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 11/2/2009 1:55:24 AM   
ilovebeerme

I read them a few years ago and really enjoyed them. A nice mix of sci-fi and gothic horror. The only issue I had with them was that the ending was a bit of a let down, not surprising given the sheer scale of the narrative and it didn't ruin my enjoyment but it was a bit deflating.

It's worth picking up his Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained series as that's pretty good too. If you haven't read the Hyperion series yet then go for that

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 12/2/2009 1:12:59 PM   
BigKovacs

I read these a while back and enjoyed them...

******SPOILER ALERT******

Although I found the the main plot with the super weapon in the middle book was totally pointless... did I miss something?

******SPOILER ALERT OVER******

They were a bit adolescent in places with the fantasy smut (this seem to occur in most of his books) but were generally very good.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 5
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 15/2/2009 11:42:24 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

couldn't get into the first one at all but at the same time found his Mindstar Rising/Greg Mandell books to be very readable and with an interesting near future setting.

I'm in a similar position.  I don't mind him as a writer, but I came to this series straight off the back of a re-reading of the Hyperion Cantos and Iain M Banks (i was on a bit of a space opera binge!), and this was just a poor substitute for space opera as far as I was concerned.  I may yet give them another go but it was a major struggle getting through the first book and it didn't exactly make me want to go out and finish the story.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 16/2/2009 12:06:25 AM   
Rgirvan44

Its no masterpiece of writing, and is 100% junk food but I had a blast reading through it.

He does have a very childish attitude to sex and some of his lines are pretty laughable, but for every bad sex scene there is stuff like Al Capone coming back and ruling a planet along the lines of a mob struture.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 7
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 16/2/2009 4:07:58 PM   
BigKovacs

His writing screams of 'mid life crisis' too, i think it's the silly sex and the fact that science can cure all things sexual. I read another one off of his where the main character is an elderly man who is regenerated to the age of 20 and steals his sons missus. pretty purile and didn't really serve much of a purpose.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 16/2/2009 4:12:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

His writing screams of 'mid life crisis' too, i think it's the silly sex and the fact that science can cure all things sexual. I read another one off of his where the main character is an elderly man who is regenerated to the age of 20 and steals his sons missus. pretty purile and didn't really serve much of a purpose.

I did those vibes off his first book in this series, although they were more tempered by the time the Naked God came around. 

But as I said there are some pretty cool ideas in there and with the help of a great, GREAT editor, it could really have been one of the greats in the genre. Yet it remains a fun read - could see an adaptation on HBO. Kind of like a Song of Ice and Fire (which is another example of the childish mixed with some great ideas).

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 9
RE: The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton - 16/2/2009 4:30:40 PM   
BigKovacs

Yeah true, his stuff is fun at the end of the day and to be fair he has some really god ideas about future tech.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI