Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Has anyone read Fortress of solitude, by Jonathan Lethem?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Has anyone read Fortress of solitude, by Jonathan Lethem? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anyone read Fortress of solitude, by Jonathan Lethem? - 9/2/2009 3:03:14 PM   
velocityboy

If you've read it, what did you think of it? I have to say I really enjoyed the first half of it. It fact, I more than enjoyed it, I though it was some of the best writing I've ever read. The poetic use of the words made me feel like my brain was being gently caressed by each sentence, and man, did I fall in love with the characters. Let me tell you something, I've never actually cried during a movie (I seem to get a lump in my throat at the stupidest of things though), much less when reading a book, but there was a point where I though the story was going to take a certain turn and I had to put the book down and bawl my eyes out, I was so afraid of the character I loved turning into something I hated. It very nearly broke my heart.

That's the first half. The second half it is written differently, apparently as a litarery device to get across a sense of isolation. For me, It ijust gives a disappointing end to such a great start for me though, almost as if the first half was written, the author realised he didn't have a whole book but no idea what to do with his characters. After loving the start so much and then such a major change in style it make the book a flawed masterpiece for me.

What do you think of the book?

btw, in looking into this book after finishing it I discovered that coming-of-age themed literature is called a bildungsroman. Every day's a school day!

Love & Rockets

"I'm always one step ahead...like a carpenter, who makes stairs "

My eyes are open.

Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Has anyone read Fortress of solitude, by Jonathan Lethem? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI